PDA

View Full Version : Fireworks Question

Dyanna
04-27-2007, 02:27 PM
In MK, where do they shoot the fireworks off from. Is it behind the scenes? Do they shut down any part of the park when the show is going on?

TennesseeTink
04-27-2007, 03:13 PM
In Oct. 2006 we were coming out of Mickey's Philharmagic just as they were roping off the path to the castle. From what we could tell, the fireworks come from just behind the castle. We watched from this spot and ended up with sore necks from looking straight up but, boy, was it bright!! It was like daytime back there. Another drawback from this spot is you get showered with ashes. The CMs drench the top of the buildings in this area to keep sparks from starting a fire.

pox24
04-27-2007, 04:32 PM
"Wishes" is a three sided show. Rockets are launched from behind, from the side , and even next to the RR tracks east and west. The best vantage point in the MK is closer to the Flag opn Main St USA. If you are too close your gonna be blocked by the castle. The worst spot is behind the castle. We made that huge mistake only once.

mmouse566
04-28-2007, 09:50 AM
Ditto - plus if you are in Fantasyland near the castle not only can you not see the full show but you are likely to get soot from the fireworks in your hair, eyes, etc.

pook@wdw
04-28-2007, 06:12 PM
correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the fireworks are shot off from an area behind Ariel's Grotto , not visible to park goers. :mickey:

Kate In Wonderland
05-01-2007, 07:57 PM
Ditto - plus if you are in Fantasyland near the castle not only can you not see the full show but you are likely to get soot from the fireworks in your hair, eyes, etc.

Oh yikes! That would be a way to ruin a trip huh? I thought I watched it from behind the castle once but I'm not sure.

glenpreece
05-01-2007, 10:30 PM
This is actually quite funny because this topic was brought up during my Keys to the Kingdom tour in Jan. Claire asked us if we thought the fireworks were shot from behind the Castle and most of us said yes. She said kind of. They are actually fired almost a mile behind the park. If they were closer there might be a fire. They have to compensate for wind patterns to amek sure everything goes as planned.

BriarRose0708
05-01-2007, 10:40 PM
I watched Wishes from behind the castle right next to Dumbo, and I didn't see even a hint of ash. Although it wasn't the best place ever, it wasn't horrible.

DisneyDudet
05-02-2007, 12:37 AM
I heard its pretty awesome from the Teacups. Anyone have any input?

We've seen Wishes many times and will see Hallowishes this trip, and people saying that its awesome from that part of Fantasyland got me curious...

TiggerRPh
05-02-2007, 12:40 AM
This is actually quite funny because this topic was brought up during my Keys to the Kingdom tour in Jan. Claire asked us if we thought the fireworks were shot from behind the Castle and most of us said yes. She said kind of. They are actually fired almost a mile behind the park. If they were closer there might be a fire. They have to compensate for wind patterns to amek sure everything goes as planned.

Not to get off track...but I have gone on a KTTK tour with Claire and she was great.

Golf Grumpy
05-02-2007, 07:02 PM
I like it in front of the castle like everyone, but we have wtahced Wishes from right behind castle and it is a different view. Kinda cool, I would say 70% in front and 30% behind. You just have to know where and when to look where.

jenperich
05-02-2007, 09:16 PM
Wow! Almost a mile behind the park!! That's amazing. I'm almost positive that I have read on this site that people have watched the fireworks from near Cinderella's Carousel and they LOVED it! So, I guess it really doesn't matter where you watch it from.

Speedy1998
05-02-2007, 09:29 PM
I watched Wishes from behind the castle right next to Dumbo, and I didn't see even a hint of ash. Although it wasn't the best place ever, it wasn't horrible.

I watched it once leaning against the exit ramp for Dumbo. When I got back the my ASM I had pieces of paper from the fireworks in my hair. Not to mention the stiff neck and the smoky smell I aquired during the show.

I recomend watching Wishes from Main street, I prefer to watch from as far back as possible, unless it is the Holiday season, then I try to stand under the last string of garland. That way none of the holiday decorations block the view.

TFrauts
05-03-2007, 01:37 AM
My mom and I went last Christmas...we ran to the back of the park, as soon as the parade was finnished! We just happened to be in the back of the park at Fireworks time! There are benches all around mickeys house & Minnies house, across from the barnyard playhouse thing, and peter pan....everyone seemed to rush out (we ished to the back to try to go one a couple moe rides, before closing!) as soon as the parade was over!! My mom and I were literally the only ones there,watching the foreworks, sitting on the bench!! It was crazy! THere were a couple of CM's sweeping, etc, but other than that, we were alone! Keep in mind, this was a couple of days after new years, and the hours were different than normal...I think the place closed around9 pm...but it was still amazing to be away from the crowds, and have such an amazing view!!

KAJUNKING
05-03-2007, 01:52 AM
we have seen wishes a few times and the best place is looking down main street, but its very crowded, my favorite place (so far) is around liberty square near the bell, it wasnt very crowded and you could see it all :mickey:

joelkfla
05-03-2007, 08:38 AM
My favorite spot is in the street on the right side of the hub, near the main path to Tomorrowland, but closer to the hub side of the street.

Advantages:
1) It's close enough to get the full scale of the Castle and the impact from the bombs;
2) The aerial shots from the back of the park appear just to the right of the castle, and the effect of the Castle partially obstructing a few shots just adds to the magic;
3) A good view of the Castle lighting effects; and
4) A GREAT view of Tinkerbell!

One of the enhancements in Wishes is to launch some of the shots from the rooftops surrounding the Castle, a practice adopted from the classic "Sorcery in the Sky" at MGM (which Wishes bears a remarkable similarity to, btw.) That's why the courtyard behind the Castle is closed during the show.

My understanding is that the main launch site is right on the northern edge of the park, south of the Monorail and steam train roundhouse. It was mentioned in the Magic Behind Our Steam Trains tour that after the show they have to carefully check the woods the train goes through for any burning embers, which is why on nights that the Railroad reopens after the fireworks, it takes a half hour or so to reopen.

McGoofy
05-03-2007, 09:46 AM
In MK, where do they shoot the fireworks off from. Is it behind the scenes? Do they shut down any part of the park when the show is going on?

Last time we were there, Liberty Hall of Presidents closed at 8pm when the fireworks were at 9pm. I don't know if this had anything to do with the fireworks or not.

Also, right at that same spot (by Hall of Presidents and the Liberty Bell that is outside) is where we ended up watching the fireworks at that same trip. It wasn't the best view I have ever had, but it was interesting to note that the windows above the Hall of Presidents opened up during the fireworks show, and we could see stereo speakers that were playing the fireworks music/soundtrack.

disneyorvegas
05-03-2007, 10:04 AM
This past November my wife and I started in Fantasyland and ended up in the Liberty Square/Splash Mtn. area while the fireworks were going on, it was pretty cool for us because it was a different perspective and we were closer than usual. After the fireworks we when up on one of the porches and sat in two rocking chairs as the park emptied out. We actually sat there for quite awhile talking and weren't approached by any cast members. When we left it was like we had the park to ourselves, it was a really nice ending to a night at MK.