PDA

View Full Version : Out of curiosity - anybody own a Honda Pilot?

conorsmom2000
04-27-2007, 09:05 AM
It's time to trade in our lease (2003 Chevy Trailblazer) and Mike and I went to look at the Honda CR-V last night, which we liked, though what we really wanted was the Honda Pilot (EX-L trim, 4 WD). We thought the Pilot would be more than what we wanted to pay a month, but it turns out that we can get a better deal on that then the CR-V because that car is in such hot demand right now (we'd have to wait at least a month to get the CR-V). I really did love the Pilot, and I like the 3rd row seating.

So, we might go with the Pilot but I'd love to hear from anyone who has had one - pros or cons. We've had GMAC (Malibu's, the Trailblazer and now Mike has an Impala) so this would be our first Honda. Honestly, as a Mom, it's the standard safety features and the ratings that drew me to the Honda - and the fact that our trailblazer was not the best SUV - lots of issues!

So, any feedback would be appreciated! :thumbsup:

tiggers_1
04-27-2007, 09:43 AM
I have a 2005 Pilot EX-L 4WD and I love it. We, have had no mechanical issues gets great gas mileage I can run 2 weeks on a tank of gas (this is mainly in town miles, I drive school bus and drive to & from work 3 times a day), and it handles well. It is very roomy inside, plenty of passenger room, I've had 7 adults in mine at one time and even the 3rd row passengers were not cramped and said they had plenty of leg room.

The reasons we bought ours were the safety rating & safety features, and my DH has been a tow truck operater for 28 years and and most of the Pilots (and CRV's) he has towed have been because of accidents not mechanical issues. Next year when my lease is up I will without a doubt be getting another Pilot.

SodaPopMGK
04-27-2007, 11:09 AM
I have had my Pilot for a year and I still love it. It is such a smooth, quiet ride. It is great in the snow and I know when my husband needs a new car in a couple of years he'll look into getting one. My husband and I are huge Honda lovers, we had a bottom of the line Civic for almost 12 years and really only had to do regular maintenance stuff and it was still going strong when we traded it in. Good luck with your decision.

BrerGnat
04-27-2007, 01:50 PM
Hondas are awesome cars. If you get one, you will wonder why you ever owned anything else.

The CR-V is a nice car (I have one, but it's an older one 2000 model). However, it is not very big when you have more than one kid in a car seat and a stroller constantly in the cargo area. ;) We are looking to upgrade in the next year or two, and the Pilot was one we were considering (along with the Acura MDX).

The Pilot is very roomy, but that third row seat is VERY hard to access. We noticed that when we were just looking over the car in the showroom. And, when you have it in use, your cargo space disappears. It is not really something you will probably use often, so don't base your decision on that feature alone.

However, my family has all owned Hondas from 1985 on. My two sisters and I all had Honda Civics as first cars. My DH bought the CR-V we have now on my recommendation and it is, after 7 years, still going strong. We have not had any major expenses, mechanically, with it. We have put one new set of tires on it and the rest has been routine maintenance. I would highly recommend a Honda Pilot, even though I have never even driven it. :)

I love the safety records of Hondas as well. I feel very safe with my two kids in our CR-V. My younger sister was in a very serious crash in high school where she was driving my mother's Honda Civic. She was smashed into on the passenger side by a large SUV going about 45 mph. The Civic was totaled, but she walked away with nothing more than cuts on her face from some broken glass. Those cars are built to protect their passengers VERY well.

Christine
04-27-2007, 02:02 PM
Jen, I used to have a 2002 CR-V, and enjoyed it. I test drove a Pilot, and the ONLY reason I didn't get it was because it was more than I wanted to pay.

I don't know if you have looked at them, but I now have a 2006 Toyota 4-Runner and I love it!
Back when we got the CR-V, I had test driven a 4-Runner, and thought they were too narrow, cramped, rough. When they redesigned them, the became completely the opposite! I love my 4-Runner.

Either way, you can't go wrong. But stay with the SUV's and say :stop: NO to minivans for as long as you can...we're not ready for that, are we??? Nothing screams "I am absolutely exhausted and my first name is mom" like a minivan!

conorsmom2000
04-27-2007, 02:10 PM
Nothing screams "I am absolutely exhausted and my first name is mom" like a minivan!
:funny: :funny: :funny:

I totally laughed out loud at that!!! :mickey:

Mike mentioned a few days ago that while he's never really wanted a minivan, he did like the one our friend's have - I told him that was fine with me as long as he drove the minivan and I drove his Impala. That was the last I heard about that!!! :blush: :D

Thanks so much for the great info everyone - I'll let you know what happens!

thrillme
04-27-2007, 02:43 PM
I recently went and purchased a 2007 Hyundai Santa Fe Limited.:D It was just a little smaller than the Pilot and they now come with a 3rd row seat option too (I didn't get the third row seat because I didn't need it BUT it's an option). I paid $24,600, nice stereo, leather seats, dual temp control etc...To get EVERYTHING "optional" which would include a 3rd row and a DVD player and a sunroof I want to say it would have run about $28K

I've had friends who have owned Hyndais for years and have been really happy with them.

I looked at the CRV's too but I think they were only 4 cyclinders. I have a friend who purchased a gently used Pilot and she's been pretty happy with it.

Here we go again...
04-27-2007, 02:55 PM
I just bought my Honda Pilot a couple of months ago and LOVE, LOVE, LOVE it!

We decided to upgrade to a SUV from a Stratus. We test drove every single SUV with a 3rd row out there... the kicker for us was the room. My husband crawled in and out of the 3rd row on every one. The Honda had more room than the Toyota and Nissan. I liked the look of the Pilot more than the new tahoe. Of course the Ford has more room but it was out of our price range...
The Pilot is very roomy and comfortable to travel in.

The safety features saved us more money on insurance. We actually have more coverage now and pay less in premiums than we did on the Stratus.

You may find the Pilot has some road noise that you do not hear in the Ford or Chevy. It does not bother me at all... about the same as my old car. Also, the gas mileage is not as high as posted, but as much as I was hoping to get in an SUV.

My DH is planning to get a Honda when he upgrades his car. We are very, very happy with our decision.
You can see the back with my license plate is you go to my home page. :D

murphy1
04-27-2007, 03:07 PM
My neighbors across the street have one and love it. They drive to Florida and TN a lot and around town to see grandkids, errands. Their dd bought one too after they did and she likes hers as well. We have a Toyota Sienna, I love it!!!!!!!!! Bought it in 2001 I only have 54K miles and the only miles I put on it besides running around are to go home to Florida or maybe TN or NC. Yeah, I'm an exhausted mom! :rotfl:

kakn7294
04-27-2007, 04:09 PM
But stay with the SUV's and say :stop: NO to minivans for as long as you can...we're not ready for that, are we??? Nothing screams "I am absolutely exhausted and my first name is mom" like a minivan!

Too funny! I hate minivans (no offense to anyone who has one!) which upsets my Mom greatly as she drives one. We are a 2 Jeep family - Grand Cherokee and Liberty so nothing with a 3rd row - but a friend of ours has a Pilot and she loves it. It's very roomy and she has leather seats so it's really comfy too. I don't know what she gets for gas mileage as I've never asked.

JohnnyJayhawk
04-27-2007, 04:34 PM
We've got an 06 and we love it. Handles great in all weather. Nice smooth drive. We took it to Mexico this past March and it was great for the long trip and on the less-than-perfect roads south of the border. Used to drive a Toyota Sequoia, and the only downside to the Pilot is that it has less cargo room (obviously).

conorsmom2000
04-27-2007, 04:43 PM
Thanks everyone!! :thumbsup:

We've decided to go for it - we pick it up tomorrow!! :party: I'm very excited as this my first car that really has all the bells and whistles (which I wasn't really looking for, but it's what they had)....it's a sand (beige) color, with matching leather interior, heated seats :D, moonroof, etc. So, I'm doing a little happy dance right now! :trio:

Now it's time to go outside and clean out the Trailblazer! :wave:

mdricks
04-27-2007, 05:31 PM
Best car i ever owned (including bmw and acura). You are going to love it. We had to sell it when the company offered the wife a company car. (HA! a minivan and yes she is exhausted). She quit crying after a week or two but she still gets a whistful look in her eyes everytime one goes by. The day she quits (and that day is coming) we are going straight to the Honda dealer and buying a new one.

:number1:

Christine
04-27-2007, 07:15 PM
Congrats on the new sweet ride, Jen!
:drive: :car:

Tink&Goofy
04-27-2007, 08:09 PM
GREAT choice!!
We own TWO Pilots, and absolutely LOVE them. When it is time to replace either of them, we will be back for another one!

By the way, you will LOVE the heated seats!!

Dsnygirl
04-28-2007, 05:42 AM
Thanks everyone!! :thumbsup:

We've decided to go for it - we pick it up tomorrow!! :party: I'm very excited as this my first car that really has all the bells and whistles (which I wasn't really looking for, but it's what they had)....it's a sand (beige) color, with matching leather interior, heated seats :D, moonroof, etc. So, I'm doing a little happy dance right now! :trio:

Now it's time to go outside and clean out the Trailblazer! :wave:

Congrats on your new car!! I own a Honda Pilot, and I love it. My DH wouldn't even consider anything else, b/c he knew I get crazy when cars start to run funny and/or sound funny - and he knew it would be ages until a Honda does anything we'll have to worry about. ;) I've had it for 2 1/2 years, and it still runs great! Enjoy your new car - it sounds beautiful!! (Mine is black, and I saw a gorgeous beige one the other day - it was so pretty... sigh... :blush: ) Have fun!:thumbsup:

conorsmom2000
04-30-2007, 07:04 AM
Okay, I've now owned my Pilot for 36 hours and I think I'm in love!! :cloud9: I feel so spoiled! Though, in reality, I haven't really had much time to play - the Honda dealer was swamped when we got there, so it took 3 hours to pick it up - by the time we left, it was 7 pm. Yesterday I got to spend a little time with it, but then Mike threw his back out, so the most I drove it was taking him to the ER! :ill: But, so far, I just love it - such a smooth ride! While I know someone said there was road noise, it's actually better than the Trailblazer was. Conor asked if we could get him 2 booster seats - so he could choose between the 3rd or 2nd row! :D I just love the color and the features - though, I do miss two features of the trailblazer - the daytime running lights (I haven't had to turn my headlights on in almost 4 years!) and the doors that automatically locked when you put the car in drive (again, just a nice safety feature I never had to think about). But, those are small compared to how much I love it! :D

Thanks again!!

tiggers_1
04-30-2007, 10:16 AM
Jen,

I'm glad you love your new Pilot. On the headlights if you turn the switch to the on position and leave it there the lights will automatically come on when you start the car and when you shut the car off they will automatically shut off with about a minute time delay. (My 16 yo DS figured this one out for me)