PDA

View Full Version : Kings Island or not?

packofjedis
04-26-2007, 08:16 PM
We were thinking of doing a day in Kings Island with our 2 sons, 8 and 10. My DH and I haven't been to any parks besides WDW since we were kids and our children have only been to WDW. Will we be disappointed with Kings Island? I realize it's not Disney, but is it entertaining or cheesy?

We're new to the midwest as well, which is why this is now an option for us. And my kids will do the rollercoasters as long as they're not upside down.

So what do you think?

iluvdizney2
04-26-2007, 08:36 PM
We have been to Kings Island 3 times and my kids LOVE it. I must say it is not cheesy or dirty. In fact We found it to be very nice and laid out perfectly. They even had a small parade when we went that was the Rugrats. It was adorable. My kids were 18, 16, 14, 9 and 4 when we went last (1 yr ago) The park has a kids area with a really nice water playground and rides. Very nice rides...
I will say it was of the only parks I have been to that I would definitely go back to again. I will not go back to any six flags ever again, those were dirty! and we have been to a few.I hope you go, and I hope you enjoy it.

Touchdown
04-27-2007, 01:03 AM
Ill be there on Saturday.

Kings Island is a very nice park. Its home to, in my opinion, the best wooden coaster on the planet: the Beast, which also happens to be the world record holder for the longest wood roller coaster. It also has a nice selection of flats, a huge kid area, and a waterpark included with admission.

Also, I dont know exactly where you live, but when it opens you have to take the trip to Cedar Point in Sandusky, OH. Its the roller coaster capital of the world and home to 17 of them. Cedar Point and King's Island are owned by the same company (brand new this year) so you may want to look into getting a Maxx Pass if you plan on visiting these parks more then 2 times total.

tink2006
04-27-2007, 08:52 AM
We are also from Indiana. One of our favorite non Disney parks is Holiday World. It is very clean and has one of the best water parks- there is something for all ages. We go every year. This is our "warm up" for the real thing, WDW :mickey:

Jenemmy
04-27-2007, 12:00 PM
I live about 45 minutes from King's Island and we usually get season's passes. The park is really very nice. It will defintely NOT give you the whole Disney warm and fuzzy feel...but, it is kept up well and there are so, so many rides to choose from that everyone should wind up happy.

The water park, Boomerang Bay, is also pretty incredible.

Feel free to ask any specific questions -- I was raised on King's Island!

packofjedis
04-27-2007, 12:37 PM
Thanks for all the help! I've checked out their website, and I do agree that it looks like a TON of rides.

Also, I had no idea Cedar Point was so close...only about 4 1/2 hours from here, so at some point we'll have to visit there too!

Jenemmy - Are there any restaurants (fast food or the like) nearby before we get back on the highway to grab a quick dinner?

I think we'll skip the water park this time since we're hoping to go in the next couple of weeks, and since we lived in Florida forever, it still seems too cold up here to be wet!

ayeckley
04-27-2007, 12:43 PM
Keep in mind that Cedar Fair L.L.P. (parent company of Cedar Point) purchased King's Island from Paramount at the end of last season, so things are likely to be quite different this year in terms of operations personel, park policies, corporate sponsorships, ride names, licensed characters, etc. There may be some bumps in the road during this first year under the new ownership - but I wouldn't let that stop you from going. CF is generally considered one of the best park operators in the US - just behind Disney.

Jenemmy
04-27-2007, 03:13 PM
Jenemmy - Are there any restaurants (fast food or the like) nearby before we get back on the highway to grab a quick dinner?

Oh yeah -- TONS of restaurants. You won't have a problem at all. Everything from fast food to more moderate sit down table service places. You will be sure to see them all from the highway. There are also several restaurants inside the park, as well as counter service places. Of course, those are major moolah!

bleukarma
04-27-2007, 04:37 PM
I was born and raised in Tampa and grew up on Disney and then when I was 22 I moved to Cincinnati for a few years. When I lived up there I had a Kings Island pass. It’s a fun park to go to, especially if you like roller coasters. It’s not Disney by any means but it’s not run down. However I haven’t been in over two years since I moved back to Florida. But your family should enjoy it! My all time favorite ride is Delirium. The Scooby Doo castle is very cute! Top Gun is a very mild roller coater, in my opinion. Tomb Raider holds you upside down for awhile so if your kids don’t like that then they might not like that ride.

I remember we always had to have a blue ice cream cone while we were there!

It should be a fun day for you guys, but be warned, after leaving I always missed Disney!

BashfulMom
05-01-2007, 01:35 PM
The park really hasn't seen many changes yet since Cedar Fair purchased them last year, but I'm sure there will be.

As far as rollar coasters that don't go upside down you have your choice from: The Beast, The Racer, The Italian Job, Adventure Express, The Reptar and The Fairly Odd Coaster (formaly know as the Beastie). Another ride your DS' might enjoy is Avatar. This ride along with The Reptar and The Fairly Odd Coaster are located in Nickelodeon Universe (the "kiddie" area). The height requirement for Avatar and The Reptar is 44".

Kings Island is a completely different type of amusement park and if you remember that you won't be disappointed. I have worked at both KI and WDW and I enjoyed both experiences immensely and would go back to either in a heartbeat.

The Great Wolf Lodge just move in next door to KI. I haven't been in there yet, but if you need lodging I hear it's something else. As far as restaurants outside of the park there is a McDonalds, Taco Bell, Outback Steakhouse, Skyline Chili, Ruby Tuesdays, Frisch's, Wendys, Waffle House and Subway.
My recommendation for eating inside the park is Bubba Gumps Shrimp Shack (I think there fish is pretty good) or Larosa's Pizza.

Hope you have fun.

bleukarma
05-01-2007, 07:51 PM
My recommendation for eating inside the park is Bubba Gumps Shrimp Shack (I think there fish is pretty good) or Larosa's Pizza.

mmm...I second LaRosa's!!! I miss that pizza!! Very good!

ftwildernesskid
05-01-2007, 08:29 PM
It's not Disney, but what is? I love Kings Island. We went last fall. My sons, 11 and 8 had tons to do. There is such a large variety of rides. Even the "kiddie section" has tons to do for bigger kids. And there are so many great coasters. The waterpark is also fun. You'll have tons to do and I think you'll all have a ball!

amy-rella
05-01-2007, 10:26 PM
We live 10-15 minutes from KI and get season passes every year. (I wish we were that close to WDW!) Sometimes we just go for an evening or for a few hours during a hot sunny day to hit the water park. My girls 7 and 4 love the kiddie area. There are plenty of things to do for everyone. Don't miss the train ride in the back of the park (it's not quite as nice as WDWs, but I enjoy it still and so do the girls). And yes - you must have the blue ice cream and LaRosa's pizza!!!

There are many restaurants to choose from in the area. At the KI exit, there's Ruby Tuesday, Outback Steakhouse, Taco Bell, El Toro (a mom & pop Mexican restaurant), McDonalds, Wendy's, Frisch's, Bob Evans, Subway and Skyline. Just one exit south of KI is Mason Montgomery / Fields Ertel Rd which has many more restaurants to choose from including Cracker Barrel, Olive Garden, TGI Fridays, Red Robin, Chipotle, Steak n Shake, O'Charley's, Fuddruckers, and many many more. Feel free to send me a PM if you have any other specific questions.

Enjoy your time and let us know how it was for you! It is definitely no WDW - but as long as you know this going in you should have a good time.

Rockstar Boyfriends
05-04-2007, 02:58 PM
The only coasters that go upside-down at KI are:

- Face/Off
- Vortex
- Firehawk (under contstruction)

Son of Beast had its loop taken out and it's supposed to open in 2008.

I went to KI in 2003 and it was pretty fun. I went on a Saturday and it was pretty crowded!

Jenemmy
05-05-2007, 08:12 AM
mmm...I second LaRosa's!!! I miss that pizza!! Very good!

LOL - I know. I can't stand to go to King's Island and NOT get LaRosas. The funny thing is, we finally have free standing LaRosas restaurant's up here in the Dayton area, and though they are good...the pizza just doesn't taste the same as it does in the park to me....

d_m_n_n
05-05-2007, 09:14 AM
LOL - I know. I can't stand to go to King's Island and NOT get LaRosas. The funny thing is, we finally have free standing LaRosas restaurant's up here in the Dayton area, and though they are good...the pizza just doesn't taste the same as it does in the park to me....

OMG! If that isn't the truth! We have a LaRosa's about 20 minutes away, but it is never as good as KI! There are many restaurants around the KI exit, but nothing beats a lunch of pizza! :D

Touchdown
05-05-2007, 10:09 AM
The only coasters that go upside-down at KI are:

- Face/Off
- Vortex
- Firehawk (under contstruction)

Son of Beast had its loop taken out and it's supposed to open in 2008.

I went to KI in 2003 and it was pretty fun. I went on a Saturday and it was pretty crowded!

You forgot Flight of Fear. Also while its not a coaster Tomb Raider (a Huss Giant Top Spin) will flip you upside down multiple times.

k_reile
05-08-2007, 04:10 PM
I'm from Ohio and only about an 1 1/2 hours away from Cedar Point. I have always preferred Cedar Point to Kings Island...much more to do at Cedar Point. But yes it is not even close to Disney!

bleukarma
05-08-2007, 09:16 PM

The funny thing for me is, I don't remember ever eating it in the park! If it's even better inside KI then anybody that goes to that park should eat LaRosa's!!!

I can't eat pizza anymore but if I had to chose one pizza to eat anyway then I would pick LaRosas! And when I first moved to OH I didn't like it. Eventually I came to my senses and realized that it was really good pizza! I should open a franchise in FL...I would make a killing!