PDA

View Full Version : Switching resorts mid vacation

mousaholic
04-26-2007, 07:18 PM
I am considering staying at 2 resorts in our upcoming Feb. 2008 vacation. We want to stay at ASMU and maybe spend a few nights at ASMO. We will be making room only reservations, we have tickets and will have a car. Is it a big hassle to switch resorts n the middle of a vacation? (It will be president's day week). Thanks for any input!

Seasonscraps
04-26-2007, 07:39 PM
The only hassle is the packing & unpacking. You check out of the first hotel and you can drive over to the second with your bags & check in (you'll have to wait to get into your room). Then hit the parks or pool or what ever you have planned. You could also have bell services move your bags which takes a few hours.

tyandskyesmom
04-27-2007, 10:51 AM
Like ChristineC68 said the only real hassle is the re-packing but for the difference of ASMovies and ASMusic I don't think it would be worth it. The rooms are basically the same. You can use all of the ammenities at any of the three All-Stars when you stay at one. So if it were me, I'd pick one and stay there and if I wanted to look, eat at, or swim at one of the others I'd just walk over (or hop a bus).

We have only changed when it meant a change from value to moderate or moderate to Deluxe or the like...

BigRedDad
04-27-2007, 11:42 AM
I agree. I wouldn't hop from a value to another value resort. I would only switch resorts if it was an upgrade. I wouldn't want to spend the first half the time at the Poly and the second half at an All Star.

Dream'nDisney
04-27-2007, 12:00 PM
We switched resorts last year from All-Star Music to the Beach Club. We decided not to hassle with taking a bus from AsM to a theme park, and then to the BC. We ended up just taking a cab over, and it was WELL worth it. It was only $10. We did have them transfer our luggage though. We left AsM at around 9:00 a.m., and our luggage arrived by our 4:00 p.m. check-in. Everything went very smoothly. :mickey:

BrerGnat
04-27-2007, 12:20 PM
I would agree on not hopping from AS Movies to Music. If you are going from one of the All Stars to Pop, maybe.

The thing is, as mentioned, the rooms are IDENTICAL, save for very minor thematic touches. You can very easily walk or get off the bus at a "sister" All Star Resort to use the amenities over there, or just to walk around the grounds. You are welcome to pool hop between the three All Star hotels.

Jeff T
04-27-2007, 03:14 PM
We hopped last year from the Beach Club to the Boardwalk Resort because I could not get an 8th night at the Beach Club. In short, it was a hassle and caused us to waste a good portion of our day. I would not recommend hopping resorts mid-stay unless it was necessary.

MonoMan
04-28-2007, 07:24 PM
In the past we switched resorts mid-week, one time because we were torn at where to stay (GF v. WL) and another because we couldn't get all the dates we wanted at GF, so went to the poly; the "disney" portion went smoothly, they moved our luggage and did the check-in and check-outs. We were considering doing in on out upcoming trip but decided against it because we don't want to have to unpack, re-pack and unpack again. In the past it was just the two of us, and now with a toddler there is too many things to pack and I don't think it would be worth it.

Disney5Mom
04-28-2007, 07:55 PM
Also if you like to rest midday, you may be roomless for several hours as checkout time is 11 and checkin is 3. We did the switch twice and decided never again. Not too much hassle to move we just like having a room to rest,change etc.

GrmGrninGost
04-28-2007, 10:22 PM
The biggest drawback is the time involved in actually switching rooms. We have switched a couple of times out of necessity. I would not do it unless I had to. Also, if you are on DDP it will not carry from one resort to another.

PeterPan
04-28-2007, 11:15 PM
I would never switch from All-Star to All-Star. It simply is too similar. You will be disappointed. Now, switching from a moderate to a deluxe - TOTALLY worth the time and effort. We have done this several times, and have never regretted it. Obviously, it was because of budget reasons - I had so much money available for rooms, did the math, discovered I could work within the budget by staying at Pop 3 nights and Poly 3 nights. It fit my budget. It got me the best of both worlds. We have also stayed at Ft. Wilderness (literally tent camping!!) and then switched to Wilderness Lodge. So much fun!

mousaholic
04-29-2007, 05:50 AM
Thanks for the input...I don't think I'll make the switch on this vacation!

mttafire
04-29-2007, 10:40 AM
I agree. I wouldn't hop from a value to another value resort. I would only switch resorts if it was an upgrade. I wouldn't want to spend the first half the time at the Poly and the second half at an All Star.
Agreed 100%.:thumbsup:

MsMin
04-29-2007, 11:07 AM
Just had to put in my :twocents: I agree that it can be a hassle and not worth the switch. It can take a good 3 hours and as mentioned you may not have your next room until 3pm.
I've had a different room for our arrival b/c I didn't want to spend an extra night w/ 2 deluxe rooms and DDP with arriving late and partial party. Even with having a car and taking in only the overnight bag it wasn't pain free with 7 ppl. It was much harder with a party of 7 than with 3 of us.
I'm glad you decided to plan for one room.

disneyvivi1980
04-29-2007, 11:25 AM
Personally, I would not switch in the middle of my vacation, unless it would be absolutely necessary. When I get to WDW, I like the fact that we've spent a couple days on the road so now, we can get our things into place and not have to store them away before going to bed [we tow our own 5th wheel].

Now, that's my opinion and other members will tell you their point of view. Good luck when making your decision!