PDA

View Full Version : Solo Dining?

DVC2004
04-26-2007, 05:11 PM
I know this has been asked before. I may be in the area for business next month and I really would hate to miss an opportunity to eat at WDW. Anyone out there dined solo at a TS? And I mean totally solo, no kids even.
I think I'll feel like everyone is looking at me thinking "That poor lonely woman!";) Although I am sure everyone will be too busy enjoying thier meals in reality! Where did you go and how was your experience? Anywhere you wouldn't recommend solo?

eam
04-26-2007, 05:36 PM
I have dined solo many times and always enjoyed it. In fact, the only time I ate at V&A at the Chef's Table, I was by myself, and I had a great time. It can be truly wonderful and relaxing and I always find that the CM's are more attentive and relaxed. Enjoy!!!

faberj
04-26-2007, 05:45 PM
I dined solo last March a few times while DH was at CSR in meetings and training sessions. I ate at Ohana's for breakfast, and the family at the table next to me was very nice. I also dined alone at CP and it wasn't bad at all! Pooh and friends gave me some extra attention :o) I know those probably don't really count as they are character meals. The only other places I ate solo were a few CS places. I felt the same way you do, I was worried people would stare and such. I was really nervous at Ohana's, but soon got over it as everyone was really nice to me.

January-2007
04-26-2007, 05:54 PM
I have dined solo in WDW many times. This was back when I was a teenager just going with my parents. I would go off on my own and I ate at the Sci Fi twice, the 50s Prime Time, and the Luau all solo. I recommend the Sci Fi because there's no chance of you feeling like somebody's looking at you thinking "how sad" because everybody is focused on the big screen. The dinner show was a good one too, because you have something to watch. I thought that 50s Prime Time would be cool because of the tvs, but I didn't have a table with a tv, I was just sat in a plain hallway with not much to look at... 2 out of 3 ain't bad though, right? At Coral Reef you could sit near the tank, and if you want some conversation you could go to the Biergarten where it's group seating. I did a character breakfast in Disneyland solo once and that was a lot of fun. Don't feel wierd about it, everybody's too happy to be in WDW to worry about looking at you and wondering why you're alone. It really doesn't matter.

Have fun!!! :mickey:

TikiGoddess
04-26-2007, 08:53 PM
I dined by myself at the Grand Floridian Cafe and at Tony's. It was wonderful! (you have to understand that for me, with two small children, being able to eat my own food without being interrupted by "Mom, she's kicking me..." or "Mom, I want more milk!" is sheer BLISS).

If you feel a little out of place, bring a book or journal and relax. Don't worry about what other people think (as they are probably not thinking anything) but enjoy the peace and quiet and savor your meal.

TikiG

MissStyles
04-26-2007, 09:35 PM
I've eaten at Boma a couple times by myself. Buffets are good because they give you something to do and you can go at whatever pace you prefer!

Crow
04-26-2007, 09:49 PM
many times.
ive taken whole trips solo and am again in 33 days.
ive eaten at many of Epcots WS places solo.
i havent done Biergarten solo, just cause they seat u with others.
ive done buffets, AP, etc. no character meals. but i am at AKershus this next trip.
i say go where you want. i like the WS places cause they reflect some of the different cultures and i can talk to CMs from other countries. just b careful. i ended up married to one briefly after eating at BOma.
dont change what you like. go where you think will interest you. you dont have to please anyone but yourself.
take a book, or write down notes on what you did that day to report back on Intercot.
have fun

DVC2004
04-27-2007, 08:12 AM
Thanks everyone!:mickey: Great suggestions. Sounds like it's no big deal and I have to say, it will be nice to go exactly where I want and not have to OK it with three others (sorry guys!):blush: . Now I can get excited!:thumbsup:

StillSimbaGirl
04-27-2007, 03:32 PM
Just one last suggestion - The Bistro in France!

That's the really upscale place - upstairs from Chef de France. When I take DD8 to WDW - I stick her in the Kids' Club and head over to Epcot for a really fabulous dinner - solo!

anneb
05-07-2007, 04:57 PM
I've dined solo at WDW many, many times. I have a great time in quieter, less crowded, elegant spots, especially if I can snag a window table, and these meals are a highlight of my trips. My favorites are the Bistro de Paris in Epcot and the California Grill. It may be too late for you to get in to the California Grill, but the Bistro de Paris only takes reservations about 30 days out (maybe 60 now), and I've never seen it completely full. If you go early (5:30 or 6), you are likely to get a lovely window table, with nice views out over Epcot. Take the park maps or other small info. guides to read during dinner, and have a great time!

artyboy
05-07-2007, 06:03 PM
So...does eating a turkey leg while strolling through the parks by yourself count as "solo dining"???

;) ...kidding...;)

I ate at the counter at California Grill a coupe of years ago...it was really a great time...and I didn't feel odd about it at all.

The chefs kept talking with me, and I had the best time!

Go ahead...indulge yourself!

Frank Bullitt
05-08-2007, 10:04 AM
I have dined solo at WDW on several occasions and enjoyed it.
And (although I would not reccomend it at the character meals or 'hot' dining spots) as a solo there is a good chance to just doing "impulse" dining, where you stroll along and say "hey, I wonder what that restaurant is like" versus having to make your ADR's six months in advance. Sometimes you get lucky and sometimes you get the luck of the draw, but it does add some fun and unpredictability to your vacation when you dine solo.

mdricks
05-08-2007, 10:46 AM
I'm a frequent solo diner as well. I don't ever feel like people are looking at me unless they are saying something like "How'd he do that?" or "I wonder if he'd watch our kids for a while" or even better "Look honey HIS wife lets him go to WDW by himself!". :D

I find the wait staff is more attentive, the food to your table is always hot (don't have to wait for the chicken fingers and fries). And you get to try that 1992 Turley old vines without the wife saying HOW MUCH IS THAT!

If you are dining solo and a short grey haired bespectacled (exceedingly handsome) man sends over a glass of California zinfandel, he's not being fresh, he just cant drink the whole bottle himself.

Cheers to the solo travelers! :wine:

BriarRose0708
05-08-2007, 11:18 AM
I was just about to ask the same thing! I am not a paranoid person. I have traveled in Europe by myself, driven in strange cities by myself, and gone to movies by myself, but for some reason I have this complex about dining solo.

I was considering going to Sci Fi by myself as well because I can watch the movies and not worry about staring around and looking at all the families and couples in the restaurant. I really like the suggestion of bringing a journal! I journal a lot on my trips but it's always at the end of the day when I am tired and have forgotten about some of the things that happened earlier. I am still hesitant about character dining by myself because I want to interact with characters and take pictures with them, but that's a little difficult, isn't it?

mdricks
05-08-2007, 11:32 AM
The "Handlers" of the characters will take your picture for you. I have some great pics from solo trips.

sillyolbear
05-08-2007, 04:04 PM
I did a couple of solo trips before getting married and found solo dining enjoyable. The cast members were all very, very nice.

I did Kona Cafe, O'Hana, Artist Point, and California Grill.

Enjoy getting to soak in the atmosphere!

DisneyEpcotDad
05-09-2007, 06:07 PM
I've done about 3 solo trips in a row where I dined by myself. Overall the experience was good. Only at one restaraunt in Epcot did I feel awkward because my seat was in an aisle during a busy time of the year, Christmas Season. Sometimes I take something to read or just am glad to relax after a long day.:mickey:

SBETigg
05-09-2007, 06:41 PM
My husband ate solo at Spoodles on a business trip. He eats alone on trips all the time, but he said he never felt more alone in his life. He actually IMd me on his BlackBerry through the meal. He thinks if he had chosen a different restaurant, he would have enjoyed it more. Something about Spoodles just made it an awful place to dine alone, for him.