PDA

View Full Version : Year of 100 Questions: #13

King Triton
04-26-2007, 10:17 AM
There have already been a lot of questions about what you like at Disney World, but now I want to know how you typically get there.

Do you:

Fly (and take DME, limo or rental car)
Drive your own (or rented) car from home
Take the train (Amtrak) or Auto-Train

Q14 will appear in Theme Parks, most likely on Friday.

princessjojo
04-26-2007, 10:34 AM
There is no way I would ride in my car for 10-12 hours with both of me DS. Especially with the Ding rates that Southwest has. They are often cheaper for the 4 of us to fly that what it would cost to drive my Tahoe from here to WDW. I can usually get there a lot faster, too (usually).

January-2007
04-26-2007, 11:05 AM
We take the train. In my lifetime I have driven, been a passenger in a car, taken a plane, and taken the train. Now we pretty much exclusively take the train. It's a very stress free mode of transportation. In fact, we just purchased our return trip tickets last night for June! :mickey:

darthmacho
04-26-2007, 11:07 AM
24 hours versus 2 1/2 hours? That's why I fly, though I'd rather drive otherwise. :car:

Tynkerbelle
04-26-2007, 11:10 AM
I've done them all over the years, but these days we fly (in too much of a hurry to get to WDW!).

I really do want to drive down again (so many great memories of family vacations), but DBF has zero interest. Maybe me and my sister one of these days - if you see two girls zipping down 95 in a little Mini convertible the color of Figment, honk & wave at us!! :)

Figgyluv03
04-26-2007, 12:20 PM
Most of the time, we fly, but we have driven a few times. I don't mind taking the train though. I use to do it when I went to SC, what's another 12 hours?!

WDWfeelslikehome
04-26-2007, 12:31 PM
We usually fly, it's a 23 hour drive, but when we have enough time it is a fun drive seeing all the sights of the East Coast.

We're still waiting for WDW to build the monorail to New England.

Fortgoofy97
04-26-2007, 12:38 PM
Fly!! Direct Flights only, please!! Need to get there by yesterday is always the way!!

2Epcot
04-26-2007, 12:47 PM
The first couple of trips we drove from Arizona ... Not just for Disney, we were visiting relatives in Florida as well. Every trip since then, we always fly. I want to have as much time as possible at the parks. We used Magical Express for the first time on the last trip, and I loved it. In the past, we had rented cars when we got there.

Kairi_7378
04-26-2007, 12:49 PM
At Disney, time is of the essence. So anything that saves you time is worth some extra cost. That is why I would continue to fly to WDW even though I HATE to be in an airplane!

MOJoe
04-26-2007, 02:00 PM
Although i voted for flying, i have actually driven more times than i have flown. As long as i can afford those plane tickets, i'll keep going by plane. :cloud9:

biodtl
04-26-2007, 02:26 PM
We used to drive when I was a child, but I fly now. I don't get enough vacation days to vacation longer than Sat-Sun, and there is no way I'm wasting precious in-the-park time by driving.

pianobabe
04-26-2007, 06:08 PM
The only times I have driven down to WDW were on the first 2 trips. Now, I would never dream of driving. Our flight takes less than 1 1/2 hours. If we take the first flight out, we can be checked into the hotel AND walking around the parks before lunch. I have never been much of a plane person, but I'll do it for Disney.

Damon18
04-26-2007, 06:36 PM
I definately prefer to fly from here. I drove once and though it wasn't horrible it is just too long.I'll pay the extra and get there quickly!:thumbsup:

BigRedDad
04-26-2007, 06:37 PM
I have a price point at which driving becomes a necessity. Right now, we only have to pay for 2 flights. It is a 9 hour drive for us, 3 tanks of gas each way. The total would be around $225 to drive and 18 hours in the car. Flights are only 1:30. I think $200 a person is my cutoff point.

starrmomof2
04-26-2007, 07:38 PM
I wanted to fly last year, but DH wanted to do the drive. I think the extra time was worth it for our first trip because the kids got to see some new places going by. We've talked about flying next time, but I keep thinking how nice it was to not have to worry about what we wanted to pack since it would all fit in the van. So, we're up in the air about the next trip. The boys have never flown so that would be like an added attraction while getting us where we're going. :)

DisneyCastle
04-26-2007, 08:36 PM
Flying (coming from Maryland) and a car from Happy Limo is picking us up and dropping us off when we leave.

Caroleh
04-26-2007, 09:13 PM
Fly, direct flight, only..I want to get to WDW as soon as possible. DME picks us up(if I had to ride with the DH my knuckles would be white...much worse the the TofT:blush: )

KAT1811
04-26-2007, 10:34 PM
Fly!! Direct Flights only, please!! Need to get there by yesterday is always the way!!

:ditto:

Drive with DH, 3 DDs and my parents?!?!? :funny: :sob:

em-n-mia's-mommy
04-27-2007, 12:17 AM
We prefer to fly! 2 hours in a plane compared to 16 hours in a car sounds much better. Although next year we are going down with my best friend and her husband refuses to fly, so it looks like we will be driving down then....and our car is a gas hog so that is gonna be fun!

BritCody
04-27-2007, 07:07 AM
When I was a youth we always drove and we did the 17 hours in one straight shot. Nowadays we fly nonstop!!!

bleukarma
04-27-2007, 07:52 AM
Since I live in Tampa I drive my own car. :mickey:

Mickey91
04-27-2007, 09:00 AM
We usually fly, it's a 23 hour drive, but when we have enough time it is a fun drive seeing all the sights of the East Coast.

We're still waiting for WDW to build the monorail to New England.
When my DS (now 12) becomes and imagineer, I'll have him continue the monorail from our house on up there for ya!:wave:

We drive. :car: It takes between 12 and 13 hours. We have certain land marks that break up the trip into smaller segments such as: major cities,:car: interstate changes, :car:state welcome signs,:car: Florida Welcome Center with its fun orange juice, etc. Most people probably think we're :goof:for not flying but even with skyrocketing gas prices, it is still cheaper to drive. I would rather spend the extra $$ on souvenirs, etc. Besides, driving through the Disney Welcome sign just wouldn't be the same on a shuttle! :pixie:

DizNee143
04-27-2007, 02:19 PM
i like to fly...im there in like 2 1/2 hours...i drove once and it wasnt too bad but...i rather fly..:mickey:

avantgardeinker
04-27-2007, 04:44 PM
We always drive. I can't see putting my 2 yr old on a plane and trying to tell her why her ears hurt so bad. If she could chew gum it might be different. Also, where we live you can't get a direct flight to Orlando which makes the cost of flying pretty high. We'd rather drive and save the money for souviniers while we're there.

:mickey:

Bruegge
04-27-2007, 10:29 PM
Tucson AZ... are you kidding???

Fly,

Scott

Mom2princesses
04-27-2007, 11:43 PM
Flying is the only way for us! My kids ask are we there yet 10 mins into a 1.5 hour ride down to the shore! I could not imagine driving from Jersey to Florida with them! :eek2:

Bruegge
04-28-2007, 09:42 AM
Tucson AZ... are you kidding???

Fly,

Scott

imaprincess!
04-28-2007, 11:53 AM
I've thought it might be nice to drive and see different sights along the way, but it's such a long trip. Then I started thinking about how quickly I can get to WDW by flying, and decision done!!!!!!

GrmGrninGost
04-29-2007, 05:27 PM
We drive. It's about 12 hours. Always have a good time with DW and DKs. Gives us a chance to talk and spend time together. Very enjoyable!:mickey:

DisneyorBust
04-29-2007, 05:54 PM
We fly! I have never checked to see how long it would take to drive from Pittsburgh, cause I'm not going to do it!:D
Why? I NEED to get to WDW!:mickey:

Bethis26fan
04-29-2007, 11:01 PM
we drive we are only 8 hours away.

RAIDER
05-01-2007, 08:08 AM
I have no choice on getting to WDW :D

kgoulash
05-01-2007, 12:23 PM
growing up we did both depending on money i'm sure. we had 2 adults, 2 teens, and 2 kids in a car for 27 hours. now with my own little ones we fly, i would actually like to drive but as stated before 2 1/2 hrs vs. 27 is a strong argument!

DisneyOtaku
05-01-2007, 10:34 PM
It's a 12-13 hour ride, so we drive. But we have a fool-proof plan!

My sister and I ALWAYS stay up really late the night before, so we can sleep in the car. My parents usually get us in the car anywhere between two and four in the morning. By the time my sister and I wake, we're usually about to or already entered Florida. We arrive in Orlando by four in the afternoon, where we check into a hotel outside the park and just relax--eat dinner (usually deli sandwitches from Publix, since we used to live in FL and miss Publix's deli :( ) and watch TV, and bed early.

We get up and check out by 7, then head to check into our WDW resort and head to our first park!

It sounds weird (getting up and driving at 2 AM?!?!) but it's a family tradition I wouldn't change for the world!

c&d
05-02-2007, 11:02 AM
We usually fly. Next year we're going back on the Autotrain, DH and I love it and but DS wants a road trip to Disney. This way it gets everyone what they want.

Pumpkin22
05-02-2007, 01:27 PM
We have to fly! Spending twenty-some hours in the car in anticipation of getting to WDW is just out of the question! A few hours on a plane is just the way to go!

Spaceship Tigger
05-03-2007, 08:22 AM
I'm glad we're lucky enough to be able to drive. A 10 to 10.5 hour trip really isn't too bad. I'm pretty sure we could never fly for cheaper from here since it's only about $200-$250 round trip in gas for the van. Plus we get the freedom of having our own vehicle when we need it once we get there.

mdearmas
08-02-2007, 11:42 AM
considering i live 30 minutes from WDW i think it would be a short flight but usually I drive.
:goofy: