PDA

View Full Version : Tony's Town Square

septembergirl
04-26-2007, 02:14 AM
Hello:
I don't see much about Tony's Town Square. Anybody out there have an opinion on Tony's? Is the food/atmosphere worth it? I made an ADR with my DS13 in mind but would like to know more about it?:confused:
Thanks.

wendy*darling
04-26-2007, 07:43 AM
My DH & I like Tony's.
It's decent Italian food. The atmosphere is nice, but I wouldn't call it special or unique in any way.
It has a hint of Lady & the Tramp theming, but it is not overwhelming- not all cartoon-y or anything. Just a nice Italian restaurant like the one Lady & the Tramp dined behind in the movie. Wood paneling in the main room, a light, airy front room and a small terrace in front (right in Town Square)
We enjoy eating out on the terrace so we can people watch.

I love some of their foods- squash soup, their salmon was excellent. I haven't ever gotten any of the traditional Italian dishes. Being Italian, I can never justify paying $$ for a plate of spaghetti and meatballs when I make that at home once a week for about $5 for the whole family! And I don't eat anyone else's lasagna except mine or my grandmother's. ;)

I'm not sure I would choose this restaurant specifically for a 13 yr old boy. I am sure if it was on your list of places to eat- he would like it just fine. But it's not one either of my teenage boys would have chosen as "the" place to go.

LouRodriGIS
04-26-2007, 07:44 AM
I like Tony's and we went there for our first family trip in 2002. My wife wasn't too thrilled with the food but we are from South Phila so we have numerous authentic Italian restaurants around us so we have a biased opinion. We skipped Tony's during our last 2 trips to try other WDW restaurants.

However, with the DDP, I would consider going back and trying some different (higher priced) items on the menu. The other nice thing about Tony's is it's location on Main Street and proximity to the parades. I would love to schedule a dinner during SpectroMagic. It would be great to get a seat on the front porch and relax after dinner as the parade passes by.

Bottom line, you really can't go wrong with Tony's but it all depends on your taste for Italian food.

Disdude
04-26-2007, 08:10 AM
My wife and I went for the first and last time before a Halloween party last year. It wasn't terrible but there was no way we would consider it worth the price. I'm not one to complain about price at WDW. I usually feel like I get decent value at most places but as said before, they charge WAY too much for pasta.

The atmosphere is real nice and I'm glad we tried it but we'll never go back.

scottgr
04-26-2007, 09:32 AM
The food is not as good as it has been in the past. We still go there every time we visit WDW. We always try to get a seat on the patio during one of the night time parades. It great eating at a table and watching the parade...Cool Stuff:thumbsup:

goofiecrazy
04-26-2007, 09:50 AM
I am trying to picture the place is it behind or next to the ice cream shop on main street? I always wondered about that place.

floridamom
04-26-2007, 09:56 AM
We had lunch at Tony's this past December because my husband thinks the counter service offerings at MK leave a lot to be desired. I wasn't expecting much, but we were pleasantly surprised. At lunch time they have sandwiches that are a good alternative to the burgers and hot dogs we would get at CS places, and it was nice to be seated and served rather than having to wait in line for 30 minutes to get your food and then stalk people for a table during the lunch rush. We are AP holders, so not eligible for DDP, but with our DDE 20% discount, I thought it was a decent value for a sit-down theme park restaurant. Our girls ages 2 and 4 loved the L&T theming--we took turns taking them on a walk through the restaurant to spot all of the items while we were waiting for our food to arrive. I'm not sure that it would a thrill a 13yo boy, however.

Good luck whatever you decide.:mickey:

wendy*darling
04-26-2007, 10:19 AM
I am trying to picture the place is it behind or next to the ice cream shop on main street? I always wondered about that place.
No, you are thinking of the Plaza Restuarnt.
Tony's Town Square is in Town Square. It is on the right immediately as you walk out from under the train station. It is the same building (Exposition Hall) as the camera shop.

magicofdisney
04-26-2007, 10:28 AM
We were there last year and it was awful. The service was terrible and the food wasn't much better. There was a glitch with the computer system and our order was lost. I'm not sure which of the 50 trips our waiter made near our table clued him in that we weren't eating but eventually he figured it out. We'll not be revisiting Tony's in the future.

septembergirl
04-26-2007, 01:13 PM
Thanks everyone for the insight. I chose this restaurant because my 13 yo loves anthing Italian and I hear that Alfredo's will be closed when we go in Sept. I may reconsider. Any other Italian food suggestions? Nevermind. I guess I should start a new thread...

em-n-mia's-mommy
04-27-2007, 12:00 AM
I really enjoyed tonys. We ate there our last trip and we were especially pleased by the desserts. Not authentic italian, but it was still good! The theming is also nice and has a very disney touch to it!

Mom2princesses
04-27-2007, 09:37 AM
My hubby and my dd (then 5) and I went to Tony's for dinner in 2002 (our last time in WDW). Back then it was a great experience. I am Italian and I also live in NJ where there are a lot of Italian restaurants. So I know Italian food. I have to make it often enough! The food was very good and we totally enjoyed our meal.

We didn't have an ADR and we had to wait for a while but it was worth the wait. It was really nice to have an Italian meal for a change. We ate outside and it was really nice. We got to see the parade at night from our table. We are going again for an upcoming trip in August of this year and we have an ADR this time.

We also ate there for breakfast one time and that was also good.

A Big Kid
04-27-2007, 09:45 AM
Breakfast there is GREAT!.. What, with that huge cinamon roll for an appetizer. And who would have thought that marinara went great with eggs................what,, I was dreaming again. ..............Tony's hasnt been the same since they quit serving breakfast, IMH (H is for hungry)O

Jeff T
04-27-2007, 11:51 AM
Mama Melrose's at MGM is also a good choice. I think its better than Tonys Town Square.

Goofy Dad 13
04-27-2007, 02:38 PM
We always eat a late lunch there on our last day, before a ride on the TTA, and then the airport. Better value for lunch, as others have said at lunch you can get a good sandwich as well.

Kate In Wonderland
04-27-2007, 07:28 PM
My DH and I really like Tony's. We've never had a bad experience there, and I love the atmosphere and the food is good.

Mama Melrose's at MGM is good and Alfredo's is FABULOUS (but they are closing - very sad about that).

AKL Mom
04-28-2007, 10:32 PM
Has Tony's always been at the MK? We went to an Italian restaurant in 1974 and I can't remember if it is the same one. I do remember that meal was so good but I'm sure like everything there have been changes.

MsMin
04-28-2007, 11:19 PM
We ate there last Dec. and most of us 5/7 were disappointed. My son had the Spinach Manicotti and loved it. My dad the Italian sausage and loved it. Several of us had the Eggplant Parmesan and it was cold and dry- very little sauce. WE waited about 20 mins for desert b/c they ran out of pistachio creme brulee, which was worth going there for but it made for a very long meal. I had the calamari for an appetizer and many of us thought it was the worst we've ever had- every fishy. I'm not running back-- was was great to be able to eat in the park but carefully select your entrees. I'm Italian too and I wasn't impressed.

PhilHarHarMagic
04-29-2007, 10:04 PM
We used to schedule it for our first meal every time we went to WDW. Last time we went to Tony's we felt it was way overpriced (see note above about spaghetti for $$) - and the service wasn't all that great.

Now we go to Crystal Palace (although it's tough to pay full buffet price for an 11 year-old to eat chicken nuggets and a roll or two).