PDA

View Full Version : Disney Sues Anaheim - City OKs Housing Next Door

2Epcot
04-25-2007, 01:59 PM
Anaheim OKs Housing Near Disneyland
By GILLIAN FLACCUS 04.25.07, 10:06 AM ET, ASSOCIATED PRESS

(AP)Disneyland was not The Happiest Place on Earth after local officials paved the way to place low-income housing at its gates.

The City Council voted 3-2 late Tuesday night for a zoning change that would permit construction of condominiums inside a 2.2-square-mile area that was set aside more than a dozen years ago as a resort district.

The housing proposal includes a 26-acre parcel just a few blocks from Disneyland and across the street from Disney-owned land that could someday be the site of another theme park.

The vote came despite a Disneyland lawsuit and a possible election fight. Supporters said affordable housing was desperately needed for workers in the city's massive tourism industry who share cramped quarters or commute hours because they cannot afford Orange County housing prices.

"We work for Disneyland and we deserve this housing," said Susana Hernandez, a Disneyland Hotel employee who shares a one-bedroom apartment with six people in Anaheim. "They just want to make money. They don't care how we work or in what conditions."

Developer SunCal Cos. has said it would like to build 1,500 housing units at the site, including 225 affordable apartments. It has also agreed to shoulder Anaheim's legal expenses as the city fights the lawsuit, the first ever filed by Disneyland against Anaheim.

Opponents said it would be a bad precedent to allow non-tourist uses in a district that brings in about $70 million in hotel bed taxes each year.

"Allowing residential development in the resort area will stunt future growth of the local economy and significantly reduce future tax revenues," Disneyland spokesman Rob Doughty said in a statement after the vote. Disneyland is a division of Walt Disney Co.

The issue was debated in a six-hour hearing featuring dozens of speakers and attended by a crowd that overflowed into the lobby and watched the proceedings on monitors.

Supporters wore glittery top hats with Mickey Mouse ears that said "Yes to housing."

Craig Farrow, a retired Anaheim police officer, said he was wary of tampering with the resort district zoning because it has been so beneficial to the city. And he said he was suspicious of the developer's motives.

"I just don't think you should mess with the cash cow," said Farrow. "As far as I'm concerned, the developer is just here to put money in their carpetbag and look at Anaheim through their rearview mirror."

Councilwoman Lorri Galloway voted for the zoning change.

"Two hundred families will be able to have something that they wouldn't otherwise have. To have a quality of life and decent housing for someone ... that means everything to me," she said.

In February, the council deadlocked on whether to approve the zoning change. A councilwoman who would have provided the tie-breaking vote was asked to abstain because of a potential conflict of interest.

Since then, the state Fair Political Practices Commission has ruled Councilwoman Lucille Kring can vote on the issue and she provided the deciding vote Tuesday.

"I have prayed over this issue, I have agonized over this issue," she said.

The zoning change still faces several hurdles. Disneyland is suing the city related to environmental documents tied to the change.

The group Save Our Anaheim Resort Area, which includes Disneyland and owners of nearby hotels and businesses, wants the issue to be decided by voters. Members announced Tuesday that they have gathered the 20,000 signatures needed to place the measure on a February 2008 ballot.

Marla
04-25-2007, 02:25 PM
I sure hope this goes to the people to vote on. Since I do not live in the area, I am not aware of any housing problems. But, IMHO I do not agree with the councils vote. It seems to be that the area would benefit by allowing the Disney Company to expand. I know affordable housing is always a concern, but without employment opportunities we would not have the revenue to get housing.:tink:

thrillme
04-25-2007, 02:53 PM
I've only been to DisneyLand one time. I'm sorta spoiled by DW. If they were putting up a regular housing development then perhaps it wouldn't be so bad. I'm a little disturbed by the "low-income" term.

I know I know I sound really awful and I know I'm stereotyping...and I feel terrible about it... but my experience with several "low income" housing developments tend to bring in a lot of "gang-like" activity. I really don't understand why. I'd sure hate to see this kind of lifestyle infect Disneyland.

JPL
04-25-2007, 03:04 PM
I have to say I travelled to DLR before and after the changes to the area. I was there before the new resort zoning and it was a mess. Some of the areas outside of DLR were scary and we were actually advised by Police, friends and Disney CMs to stay away from certain places and areas. When I returned in 2002 it was a totally different environment much more tourist friendly. I would hate to see all of this undone by one housing development.

Chescat
04-25-2007, 04:46 PM
The stupid part of this argument is low income housing people want to live there. So lets take that argument a little further. Geez, low income housing people want to live in Newport Beach. Lets move them in there so they have a place to live. Am I the only one that doesn't see the logic here. Then next will come, these same people will start complaining about the fireworks and stuff going on at the park and ask for more noise restrictions. There are so many places around Anaheim and surrounding areas people can live, why do they want to live in this dense area.

So how this benefits the people living in Anaheim is their taxes will go up since these people will not be paying their share of taxes and business will not be since they couldn't be there. Hmm! I say put it to the voters! And lets check the background of this developer. :)

*tinker_belle*
04-25-2007, 06:46 PM
UGGGHHH this irritates me to NO END!!!
There are so many places around the area where they could build low income housing...SO MANY PLACES!!! OMG i am just irrate about this.:mad: I hope Disney wins this battle through and through.
I know some of those people that are "for" the idea are Disney employees.
How many people here have driven 15 minutes to a half an hour or maybe more to get to their daily job? Thank you i think thats just about everybody. It wouldn't kill anybody to drive a little further rather then be 'parked' on property if you know what i mean.

JRocker
04-25-2007, 06:57 PM
No matter where this developer tries to put up his housing he will hear the same thing....

Not in my back yard.

Sad, really.

BrerGnat
04-25-2007, 07:48 PM
I am very familiar with this area. I live in Irvine, a mere 10 miles south of Anaheim.

The issue of "affordable" housing is moot ANYWHERE in Orange County! There is no such thing. It is a joke when they build these new housing developments with the tagline "affordable housing opportunity". They dedicate about 1% of the units to the affordable housing programs and the rest are priced out of reach to the majority of the people they were MEANT for. It is RIDICULOUSLY difficult to actually obtain one of these units. You have to join a lottery, qualify with a bunch of ridiculous rules you have to follow while living there, etc.

I am angry about the housing situation in Orange County period. They keep building brand new housing developments, but the average price for a new home hovers around $1 MILLION! They *just* finished two new housing developments directly south of DLR, right off the freeway, and the prices START in the "low" millions. :rolleyes:

It would be a really nice thing if there would be housing that is accessible to the majority of the people who live and work in OC.

We can't afford a house here to save our lives, and it's sad, because in a place like Central Florida, for example, we could have a HUGE brand new house with the income we have.

DH's military job is not that flexible though. :-o

I hope Disneyland wins this suit. There is a VERY LARGE amount of available land in OC. It just requires people to travel to work a bit longer. Heck, I'm sure most people would LOVE to live within walking distance of work, but how many actually do???

There doesn't need to be a residential complex where they want to build it. It is just too much of a commercial area, and I honestly can't imagine anyone WANTING to live there. There are some areas off Harbor and Katella that are sketchy enough at this point, and gang violence is alive and well in Anaheim. I agree with the poster who mentioned that low income housing tends to accelerate this type of activity, and at a place that has so many people coming and going daily, it's not a good combination.

DoomBuggyDude
04-26-2007, 01:07 PM
The problem Anaheim is facing is it's own city
charter that states it must have 30% more low
income housing units within it's city limits by

The land chosen is currently a trailer park on
Haster St. just So. of Katella. There are already
a lot of low income housing projects along
Haster extending down to Garden Grove.

I'm more apt to suspect that Anaheim is trying
to find a way to get rid of this trailer park.
Reason being that there are huge vacant lots
along Lincoln Ave. and Katella Ave. that could
be built on right now without any disruption to
the community.

wendybird
04-27-2007, 06:05 PM
Okay - I LIVE in Anaheim Hills (about 10 miles away from the resort). I can tell you that Disney has done so much to improve that area. It used to be "scary" just outside Disneyland, but they have made huge improvments, brought in more tourist ($$$) to the city and have made it a much better experience for everyone. What used to be a real junky area looks beatiful now.

As for the low income housing for people who work for Disney . . WHAT!! Not everyone who works for Disney will be able to afford even a low income home. Not only that - why is is neccesary to supply them housing. I communte 40 minutes to work every day. That's part of life. You work were you can get a job and live where you can afford it. I know this seems mean, but housing in OC is VERY expensive. Prices are out of control. Why is helping this certain group of employees that important that they would use this property for residential purposes, rather than continue to ley Disney make improvements and additions to the area that are beneficial to thousands of people.

I agree that the land should be left for Disney to expand, continue to improve the Anaheim area, and bring in more revenue, taxes and jobs!!!! I know some people are against Disney and think they have too much money and power, but as an ANAHEIM RESIDENT - I thank God they are in my city!!:mickey:

2Epcot
04-30-2007, 12:08 PM
I communte 40 minutes to work every day. That's part of life. You work were you can get a job and live where you can afford it. I know this seems mean, but housing in OC is VERY expensive. Prices are out of control. Why is helping this certain group of employees that important that they would use this property for residential purposes, rather than continue to ley Disney make improvements and additions to the area that are beneficial to thousands of people.

I agree that the land should be left for Disney to expand, continue to improve the Anaheim area, and bring in more revenue, taxes and jobs!!!! :mickey:

As a new resident to the OC myself, I agree with you wendybird. I would like to see the area stay a resort district. I remember what the area used to look like when I was a kid.

varcity
04-30-2007, 12:49 PM
Ok, if the employee's need housing, DL should find a spot and build employee housing like WDW has. To bring in low income housing, many problems will arise, notably noise restrictions. Walt would not be happy right now.

And all this comes when just a few months ago a possible third park was hinted for the spot they plan on building. Leave the area alone!!!

DoomBuggyDude
04-30-2007, 01:17 PM
[QUOTE=varcity;1273957]Ok, if the employee's need housing,
DL should find a spot and build employee housing like WDW has.
/QUOTE]

We used to have that down in Huntington Beach
and over in Stanton in the 80's. It all went away
because those cities voted them out.

As for these new units, it would take 3 or 4 full
time CM's just to meet the minimum income
requirement on the app. for a single unit.

These new units seem to be more in mind for
those in the voucher system. Basically fixed or no income at all.

wendybird
05-01-2007, 03:21 PM
If the housing is for those with vouchers on fixed or no incomes, how is the housing supposed to "assist" Disney workers. It's all a bunch of bull if you ask me. I agree that the timing is not a coincidence with talks of a third park. As an Anaheim resident, we are already being targeted through the mail by both sides of the vote. I have read all of the materials thoroughly and my vote is 100% with Disney!! :thumbsup:

frozman
06-02-2007, 01:12 AM
The stupid part of this argument is low income housing people want to live there. So lets take that argument a little further. Geez, low income housing people want to live in Newport Beach. Lets move them in there so they have a place to live. Am I the only one that doesn't see the logic here. Then next will come, these same people will start complaining about the fireworks and stuff going on at the park and ask for more noise restrictions. There are so many places around Anaheim and surrounding areas people can live, why do they want to live in this dense area.

So how this benefits the people living in Anaheim is their taxes will go up since these people will not be paying their share of taxes and business will not be since they couldn't be there. Hmm! I say put it to the voters! And lets check the background of this developer. :)

Yep, that's 100% true. When this issue first popped up, someone commented on the fact that all the residents around the area have already placed so many restrictions on Disneyland, but Disneyland was there first, so those residents should have known what they were moving to. As for the Newport Beach comment, let me say this. I only make a little more than $20k a year (I consider myself low income, but can easily get by!), I'd love to live across from Disneyland, in Miami, or in Hawaii, so build em all there so I have a place to go!

As someone else has commented, what Disney should really do is build a development somewhere out of the way (like 15-20 minutes away) and provide bus service from there for it's workers, they have "VIP Cast member" busses at WDW, so do this at DL too. Although I only have a 10 minute commute, I'd much rather have a free ride to a place 20-30 minutes away, can relax during that time :)

snifflesmcg
06-02-2007, 01:41 AM
This makes me SOO mad, and I live 3000 miles away. Disney HAS to win this one. First off, if they orginally promised DL this land, how can they take it away from them. Second, you mean to tell me that six people living in a one bedroom apartment is low income???? Even if they all worked minimum wage they would have plenty of money. I lived on my own, BY MYSELF, at 18 making just a squeak over minimum wage and I made it. My suggestion to them is move somewhere that they can afford! NOT such a high priced area!!! Some people make themselves victims.:mad::mad::mad:

DoomBuggyDude
07-09-2007, 02:28 PM
Here we go!

Now it's Mickey .vs religion, labor and major league baseball.

Oh, joy.

http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la-me-affordable9jul09,0,4604886.story?coll=la-home-local

Paradise Pier Pinocchio
07-09-2007, 05:22 PM
Don't really understand the issue here. I mean if it were possible for me to afford a condo that close to Disney, I would do it in a heartbeat. Wouldn't that mean more money for Disney??

2Epcot
10-11-2007, 08:58 AM
Disney-led initiative qualifies for ballot
The City Council can adopt it or set an election for measure that would discourage housing near Disneyland.

By SARAH TULLY
The Orange County Register
Wednesday, October 10, 2007

ANAHEIM – A second Disney-led ballot measure to discourage housing in the resort area has qualified for an upcoming ballot.

The City Clerk announced Wednesday that 26,014 signatures were verified for the initiative that would require voter approval of housing projects in the Anaheim Resort. That's more than the 15 percent of registered voters needed. The City Council can either adopt the initiative or set an election.

The initiative is one way the Disney-funded group, Save Our Anaheim Resort, is trying to stop developer SunCal's housing plan across from Disney property. A similar referendum is on the June ballot.

“We are extremely confident of an overwhelming victory,” stated Todd Ament, SOAR's co-chairperson.

The verification came one day after some SOAR members criticized three City Council members for their plans to place on the ballot a SunCal-backed initiative, which would require voter approval of a Disney project.

“We fully support the citizens' right to vote on all development in the … area including property owned by the Disney Corporation,” said Frank Elfend, SunCal's consultant.