PDA

View Full Version : Rosie O'Donnell Leaving `The View'

DMApixie
04-25-2007, 01:23 PM
The Associated Press
Apr 25, 1:00 PM EST

NEW YORK -- Rosie O'Donnell's stormy tenure on "The View" will be a short one. The opinionated host was unable to agree on a contract with ABC, and she'll leave the show in June.

O'Donnell said on the show Wednesday that she wanted to stay for one more year, and ABC wanted three. So she decided to leave, although she said she will appear occasionally next season for things like a planned one-hour special on autism.

"It just didn't work," she said, "and that's show biz. But it's not sad because I loved it here and I love you guys and I'm not going away."

O'Donnell has helped raise the ratings for the daytime chat show invented by Barbara Walters. But her outspokenness has caused continual controversy, including a nasty name-calling feud with Donald Trump that placed Walters squarely in the middle.

"We have had, to say the least, an interesting year," Walters said.

Walters said she had nothing to do with the decision, reached after talks between representatives for ABC Daytime and O'Donnell.

"This is not my doing or my choice," she said.

Walters was frequently left to clean up the damage after O'Donnell. She did it most recently Monday, when O'Donnell was criticized for using bad language and attacking Rupert Murdoch from the dais of the annual New York Women in Communication awards luncheon.

"I would like to point out that Rosie's view is not always mine," Walters said. "I would like to say for the record that I am very fond of Rupert Murdoch."

In the Trump imbroglio, O'Donnell was reportedly mad that Walters did not come more swiftly to her defense, while Trump said Walters told him she didn't want O'Donnell on the show — a claim Walters denied.

Trump quickly went on Fox News Channel Wednesday to claim that O'Donnell was fired by ABC because of remarks made at the Women in Communications luncheon.

"Barbara's the happiest person in the world that Rosie's been fired," Trump said.

Cindi Berger, spokeswoman for both O'Donnell and Walters, denied Trump's claim, wondering how he would know what had happened in contract talks between O'Donnell and ABC.

"She wasn't going to commit to anything for three years and they would not commit to her for one more," Berger said.

Locking in O'Donnell to a three-year deal could protect ABC from year-to-year increases if the ratings continue to be good for the show.

Despite controversy — or maybe because of it — O'Donnell was good business for ABC, owned by the Walt Disney Co. Ratings for "The View" during February sweeps were up 15 percent in key women demographics over the same time in 2006.

Bill Carroll, an expert in the syndication market for Katz Television, said he'd be surprised if ABC didn't try hard to keep O'Donnell, given the attention she brought to the long-running show.

The timing of the announcement doesn't particularly suit O'Donnell if she wants to remain in daytime television. She wouldn't be able to introduce a new program to the syndication market until September 2008, he said. But the company that produced O'Donnell's long-running daytime show has expressed interest in having her back, he said.

O'Donnell has discussed acting on the FX show, "Nip/Tuck." But she has not decided what she wants to do in TV in the future, Berger said.

O'Donnell made headlines repeatedly for comments on "The View," and for testy exchanges with her more conservative partner, Elisabeth Hasselbeck.

She criticized "American Idol" in January for airing humiliating auditions. "Isn't that what America thinks of entertainment? To make fun of someone's physical appearance. And when they leave the room, laugh hysterically at them. Three millionaires, one probably intoxicated."

She accused fellow ABC daytime host Kelly Ripa of making a homophobic remark, said "radical Christianity is just as threatening as radical Islam in a country like America" and has been critical of President Bush.

Statements by public figures are being watched more closely in the post-Don Imus era. The lobbying group Focus on the Family said it was preparing to contact advertisers on "The View" as part of a campaign against O'Donnell. The group is angry at O'Donnell for comments they feel were insulting to Catholics.

crazykids
04-25-2007, 02:24 PM
Glad to see her go!

I used to really enjoy her when she had her own show, but she has become way to political for me now. There's one thing to feel the way she does about certain things, but don't try to force your ideas on everyone else! I actually stopped watching The View because of her.

Christine
04-25-2007, 02:26 PM
Yippee! :woohoo:

Jimenyfan
04-25-2007, 02:40 PM
Yippee! :woohoo:

My thoughts exactly.

DVC2004
04-25-2007, 02:43 PM
Good riddance!:thumbsup:

thrillme
04-25-2007, 02:43 PM
Personally I'd be much happier if she left the planet :yoda:

Twinsowner
04-25-2007, 02:50 PM
Rosie is an embarrasment to Americans. I am glad some of you agree and glad to see her go!!!

Carol
04-25-2007, 03:05 PM
Rosie is an embarrasment to Americans.Really? This American certainly isn't embarrassed. :thumbsup:

I for one only started watching this season (not a Walters fan). I guess I can delete the season pass from my Tivo.

Personally I'm not surprised. ABC wanted her for 3 years. I knew she'd never commit to such a long contract.

I wouldn't start cheering, Folks. She'll still be on The View to co-host and do specials - not to mention her stint on Nip/Tuck.

I find it refreshing when someone goes against the grain and speaks their mind like Joy and Rosie do.

Lynn J Mc
04-25-2007, 03:18 PM
WOO HOO - I was afraid I was going to have to boycott Disney and ABC. I'm all for free thinking and speaking but when you say the US burned down the Tower 7, Puhleeze.

2Epcot
04-25-2007, 03:18 PM
I wouldn't start cheering, Folks. She'll still be on The View to co-host and do specials - not to mention her stint on Nip/Tuck.

There are also rumors that several syndicators are talking to Rosie about hosting her own show again. I liked Rosie when she had her original talk show, but that changed once the show ended and she started acting differently, or started showing her real personality.

Ian
04-25-2007, 03:23 PM
Good.

If this means I won't have to constantly see headlines trumpeting her latest opinion on things about which she knows nothing, that's good enough for me.

Even if it's only a few months of silence, I'll take it. She's a blowhard.

I don't care what side of the aisle you're on and whether I agree with you or not. A blowhard is a blowhard is a blowhard ... Rush or Rosie ... it's all the same thing.

mouseaddict
04-25-2007, 05:05 PM
Carol...I am with you. She can be a little over the top but it is entertainment..and if I am fed up, I turn the TV off.
I just hope that she continues to use her voice bring awareness to topics such as autism and depression...
BTW, have you seen Trumps' reaction..it is over the top. He is starting to lose it too!
lol

PirateLover
04-25-2007, 05:12 PM
Rosie often speaks about things that she obviously has not investigated deeply. It is one thing to go against the grain but it's another to be outrageous just because, which is what I think she does sometimes.

Although I do agree with one of her recent comments, which was a retort against Sheryl Crow and her idea that we should all be able to limit ourselves to one square of toilet paper per usage.... it was along the lines of "have you seen the size of my backside?" :funny:

MNNHFLTX
04-25-2007, 07:00 PM
Initially I was less than gung-ho about Rosie O'Donnell coming onto "The View", but I have to admit that she's made the show way more interesting. Whether I agreed or disagreed with her viewpoints on various topics, she spoke her mind, that's for sure. And she can be hilarious when she wants to be.

It'll be interesting to see who they bring on as a regular host after she leaves. I'm afraid most people's personalities are going to pale in comparison.

Melanie
04-25-2007, 08:19 PM
I really feel this show needs to get some stability in the host department, or it's going to be in trouble. They haven't even replaced Star and now Rosie is leaving too?

I don't always agree with Rosie either, but she does make it interesting and entertaining.

DisneyGiant
04-25-2007, 10:37 PM
Really? This American certainly isn't embarrassed. :thumbsup:

I for one only started watching this season (not a Walters fan). I guess I can delete the season pass from my Tivo.

Personally I'm not surprised. ABC wanted her for 3 years. I knew she'd never commit to such a long contract.

I find it refreshing when someone goes against the grain and speaks their mind like Joy and Rosie do.

I felt the same way. I was really bummed when I heard the news.

At least I have her blog to check daily for my Rosie fix.

Don't understand how so many people seem to "hate' her. It seems she's a very polarizing figure - you either love her or hate her....... Seems sad that people hate her - seeing how much she does for charity and children - not to mention her large donation to the Fallen Heroes Fund.

I can't think of one person that I out and out hate and won't watch on TV.

Rumor is that HBO might pick her up to do a Bill Maher type show when she is on vacation. That would be awesome!

Interesting to see how the View is going to fare. I keep hoping that ABC will change their minds and give her the one year contract........

JRocker
04-25-2007, 10:49 PM
Yes, I am doing a happy dance for her departure.

I really don't mind people who are outspoken, and pursue topics with vigor. A lot of times these passionate arguments can encourage some serious thought. But it is different with Rosie.

Two things that made me a former Rosie fan:

She fails to learn about the issues before she spouts off. Which is still not all to unusual for the Hollywierd crowd (actually kinda the norm).

The main issue I have, is most of her little rants are brimming over with personal attacks and hate. Pure hate. I have no use for that.

PirateLover
04-25-2007, 11:31 PM
I can't think of one person that I out and out hate and won't watch on TV.

First of all, I read through the posts and I don't see anyone on here that has said they "hate" her. I'm not trying to cause trouble, but as soon as I read this I immediately remembered your post from the Ten Commandments thread:

"I am sad to say - I stopped watching it when Chuck got all political."

What is the difference?
Rosie is to be commended for her charity work, but she has said some things that are very offensive. She has offended Christians and Catholics in particular on multiple occasions, she mocked the Chinese by using an age old stereo-type, she gave credence to 9/11 conspiracy theories by saying that she believes WTC7 was blown up by the US. She stuck to that belief even after reading a Popular Mechanics investigation into the situation that proved otherwise.

So while she may still have some funny bones in her body and make me laugh on occasion, I can completely understand why people do not like her anymore and choose not to watch her. :twocents:

NotaGeek
04-26-2007, 01:53 AM
I never watched The View until this year. Doubt it will remain on my TiVo List.

I think that people forget that he show is called "The View" and not "The View that is really popular with most people".

I say speak you mind, I love that Rosie isn't afraid of standing UP for what she thinks is right. Funny, though, she is a HUGE humanitarian and supports so many good causes, has foundations, is a staunch supporter of theater, yet people really hate her merely because her political views are liberal. Back when she was the person that everyone wanted her to be she was loved.

I will never understand it.

eas423
04-26-2007, 11:05 AM
There is a clear difference between voicing your opinion or "view" and ramming it down others throats, not listening to other views and being disrespectful of those differing views.

I continued to watch The View after Rosie joined. I didn't always agree with her opinions, but hence the point of the show. But after 4-5 months, I was sick of the way she abused her role as moderator and didn't allow others to express their opinion. She became out and out RUDE if you didn't see things the way she did. Thats unacceptable, and why I deleted the show from my DVR.

So good riddance.

princessjojo
04-26-2007, 11:17 AM
In the past I loved to watch The View. I wasn't overly thrilled when they invited Rosie to join their cast because I feel she is a little overbearing with regards to her opinion. She comes often comes off as her way is the right way and those who don't agree with her aren't as accepting as she is. And whenever anyone pubically speaks out against her, as Trump did (and I don't think he was any more right than she was after the spat began) she is the first to throw out the anti-homosexual aspect. Many times, those who disagree with her have no problems with her lifestyle, just her choices with regards to words to disagree with others.

When I, as I often do, don't agree with Rosie, I just turn the channel or turn the tv off. After all it is her right to say what she chooses, as long as it isn't slanderous or inaccurate about others.

ibrowse17
04-26-2007, 11:24 AM
My only wish is that Disney would have cut her lose for good. It was sad to see such a family driven company be linked to such a hurtful person. Pepole have the right to say whay they want, but they have to be responsilbe for what they say as well. Whoever gives her another arena to spout off from deserves what they get.

Momof2boys
04-26-2007, 01:05 PM

I totally agree - we need more people to give their opinions and not worry about what others think and being "popular".

I hope she moves on to bigger & better things.

Grizz16
04-26-2007, 06:53 PM
I haven't liked Rosie O'Donnell since the incident with Tom Selleck on her talk show.

Ian
04-26-2007, 07:53 PM
I totally agree - we need more people to give their opinions and not worry about what others think and being "popular".I guess I'm struggling to figure out how people are implying that Rosie's brave for saying things that are "unpopular?" :confused:

If anything, Rosie is a broken record, poster child for the American Left. She's not saying anything new. She sounds exactly like Alex Baldwin, Susan Sarandon, Mike Farrell, Tim Robbins, The Dixie Chicks, et. al.

I actually don't disagree with the sentiment that we need people who speak their minds, but I do disagree that A. Rosie is saying things that are different or unpopular and B. I prefer people speak out after they've taken the time to learn about the issues they're speaking on.

I mean I could run around proclaiming the world is flat and that would be unpopular, but would it have any real value? Speaking for the sake of speaking (EDITED PER TOS) really isn't the same thing as speaking out of real motivation for change.

Speedy1998
04-26-2007, 09:18 PM
There are also rumors that several syndicators are talking to Rosie about hosting her own show again. I liked Rosie when she had her original talk show, but that changed once the show ended and she started acting differently, or started showing her real personality.

I think you mean when she stopped being an entertainer, and started being a political advocate. Personnally I am not sure why these entertainers keep talking politics, no matter what there views are, they only risk making 1/2 their fans :mad: .

pjbs35a
04-26-2007, 10:57 PM
:thumbsup:

Hopefully she will stay on daytime TV so I won't have to catch a glimpse of her while I am channel surfing.

DisneyGiant
04-26-2007, 10:58 PM
I think you mean when she stopped being an entertainer, and started being a political advocate. Personnally I am not sure why these entertainers keep talking politics, no matter what there views are, they only risk making 1/2 their fans :mad: .

Well, some of these entertainers feel very strongly about their beliefs - strong enough that they risk their career for what they believe in.

I think we tend to attribute our individual values to the celebs and when they don't match ........ we tend not to like them so much.......

DisneyGiant
04-26-2007, 10:58 PM
I haven't liked Rosie O'Donnell since the incident with Tom Selleck on her talk show.

Funny - I stopped liking Tom after that. ;)

pjbs35a
04-26-2007, 11:08 PM
Well, some of these entertainers feel very strongly about their beliefs - strong enough that they risk their career for what they believe in.

The key word being "entertainer." I can't understand why some people think these entertainers opinion holds more weight than us "common folks."

NotaGeek
04-27-2007, 02:55 AM
MODERATOR ALERT
This thread is getting to be a little too aggressive, which always seems to happen when politics gets involved.

A. Rosie is off the View next year.
B. There is no further information out there from Rosie or ABC.

I think that their has been enough discussion of how everyone feels about Rosie and stuff has gone WAY off topic and before it gets to full on insults, I am closing this topic.