PDA

View Full Version : Ohana's for Dinner -- Reviews please

allie_to_you
04-25-2007, 08:32 AM
Hey everyone,

My DH & I have just about gotten all our dining plans worked out for our upcoming November trip. We had one more meal to plan and we are looking at Ohana's for dinner one evening. Can anyone tell me about it. I have read the menu's and everything, but what is this restaurant like? How is the food, atmosphere, etc.?

SBETigg
04-25-2007, 09:07 AM
The atmosphere is lovely and casual, with large windows overlooking the lagoon. We had a quiet meal but it can get noisy depending on the crowd. There are coconut races for kids, and music. Service can be slow. Our server was very efficient and we had a great time.

The food is good. We liked everything. The salad, the wontons-- save the dipping sauces to accompany your meat, the meat can be dry-- the chicken wings were a big hit, and so were the potatoes. The shrimp is okay- hard to eat with sticky peels to remove. The skewered meats, as I said, can be dry but they were flavorful and we were all stuffed by the time they came out. Which means we barely had room for the incredible dessert. Really, really good dessert- try to save room for that.

Bruegge
04-25-2007, 09:27 AM
You didn't mention if you have children with you...

If yes, the enertainment is like a babysitter ... it keeps the kids busy while you eat.

If you don't have kids ...ask to be seated off to the right behind where the cooks are. While it may not be quieter... you will have less hustle and bustle around you and you don't have to watch all the activity.

These seats are NOT the popular ones because you don't see all the activity.

They had grilled tiger shrimp on the menu when I was there... the DDP has killed that. now it's just peel and eat... I prefer the deveined ..

Scott

P.S I'm going last week in May i'll post any thoughts after

prttynpnk
04-25-2007, 09:32 AM
We are hearty carnivores without children and just loved it! The kids kept us entertained, the staff is very friendly and attentive and good grief, the food just doesn't stop coming. We have it on our every trip list now.

A Big Kid
04-25-2007, 10:12 AM
The concept is awesome, in theory. Open flame pits grilling scrumptions meats for your dining pleasure.

In practice, it left a lot to be desired. I found the meats flavorless and dry. Except for the sausage, there seemed to be no seasoning on the meat.

I'd go again if the circumstance was right, but I would not go out of my way for it.

DVC2004
04-25-2007, 10:26 AM
This place is one of our favorites. It's a fun atmosphere for everyone (unless you are looking for a quiet meal). The food is plentiful and very good- it's all you care to eat but served tableside and family style.Heavy on meat. If you have kids and they are picky you can request a kids menu- it's the standard chicken fingers/PB&J sort of thing. At times live music (singer and ukelele), plus hula hoop contests, luau lessons, and coconut races ofr kids. The bread pudding dessert (included in the meal) is to die for!:mickey:

poeticeclipse
04-25-2007, 10:35 AM
We are hearty carnivores without children and just loved it! The kids kept us entertained, the staff is very friendly and attentive and good grief, the food just doesn't stop coming. We have it on our every trip list now.

Too funny! My fiance and I are the herbivores in our group. We love 'Ohana just as much as the meat eaters! Fantastic everything... I just can't talk about it enough. Veggies...great! Wontons... great! Banana Foster... great! Potatoes...omg, soooo good!!! I do miss the pineapple desert with caramel dipping but, the banana foster is good too! :D Boy, i'm hungry now!

SurferStitch
04-25-2007, 12:35 PM
DH and I tried 'Ohana for the first time this past December, and it's now a must-do for us.

The meats are fabulous....tender, delicious, and seasoned very well. The turkey and pork had a fantastic seasoning on them. I didn't care for the sausage....had a weird taste.

The sweet and sour peel and eat shrimp are wonderful. DH and I had almost 2 bowls full. They had no veins, and were plump and sweet.

We had a huge table further away from the main area (enough to seat at least 8). We never even noticed any coconut races, it was so quiet. They did sing a song to us and another couple for our anniversary, and I also joined in on the hula lesson.

Our server was so friendly and efficient. She did a wonderful job, and kept the food coming. The salad, wontons, shrimp, potatoes and veggies were all plentiful and delicious. Dessert was awesome.

We can't wait to go back this December. It was one of the best meals we had on our 12 day trip.

allie_to_you
04-25-2007, 01:34 PM
Can you get a skewer with just one type of meat on it?

johnO
04-25-2007, 01:43 PM
My favorite restaurant in WDW without question. The skewers are brought out and they remove a few pieces of meat for you and place them on your plate. They come out with steak and chicken, then sausage and pork and turkey.

The best thing about it is: you don't have to risk making a poor selection from a menu. In the words of my favorite waiter (Cousin Jeff):"Don't worry about trying to choose something from the menu because I'm gonna bring you everything on it. If you want more of something, let me know."

The bread pudding w/ banannas foster is amazing.

DVC2004
04-25-2007, 02:13 PM
Can you get a skewer with just one type of meat on it?

They come around with a huge skewer and serve you from it. You could tell them you don't want any of what they bring and get one type of meat the whole time.

Disney Doll
04-25-2007, 04:26 PM
Our family loves Ohana. It's a must do for us every trip. As other have mentioned the atmosphere is casual and kid friendly. We actually did not have kids with us on our last trip. We sat to the right of the fire pit kind of out of the activity and we were oblivious to all the kid's activities going on around the corner. When Wishes began they dimmed the lights and piped in the Wishes music. We could not see the fireworks from where we were, but we enjoyed the extra bit of magic in the air. Most importantly, we love the food! We found the meats to be very tender and flavorful. Everything was great. Be sure to come hungry because they feed you well. Also, do try to save a little room for the dessert. The banana pudding is heaven.

Disdad13
04-25-2007, 05:11 PM
If we could only eat at one restaurant at DW, it would be Ohanas. Salad and Wontons - good. Shrimp, wings and potatoes - even better. Steak and Turkey - great! And dessert - to die for!! By all means - Go! Go! Go! You will not be disappointed!

Bethanymouse
04-25-2007, 05:43 PM
We absolutely LOVE Ohana's! The atmosphere is so magical and the food is delicious! I know you will love it!:D

Crow
04-25-2007, 07:59 PM
ive yet to try it in all my 16 trips...so i may
just hope its ok. not like Whispering Canyon...ive eaten there twice n only soso all u can eat even though i love WL

mrp4352
04-25-2007, 08:48 PM
Atmosphere A++
Food B (meat was dry, but the wontons and dessert were fantastic)
entertainment A
Lapu Lapu A++++++++++++ :marg:

Niecyboo
04-25-2007, 10:44 PM
we actually just ate there last night, and again, it was one of our favorites. I used to find the meat dry, so the last couple of times I've asked if they could give me the rarer beef. This time, every time my server felt he had a rare piece, he'd come over and say "Here is a big, puffy one for you...it should be rare." I ended up stuffing myself with beef and shrimp.

By the way, the reason they changed the shrimp is not the DDP, but because of allergies. I've learned a lot about this the last couple of years due to my son. If his meat was to even touch a skewer with shrimp on it, he could have a reaction. Personally, I really appreciate this change. Back in the "real world" there are entire restaurant chains we can't go to anymore because all of there food is cooked in the same grease or on the same grill. I even have to be careful of touching him when I'm eating it.

Disdad13
04-26-2007, 05:55 PM
[QUOTE=Niecyboo;1269215]we actually just ate there last night, and again, it was one of our favorites. I used to find the meat dry, so the last couple of times I've asked if they could give me the rarer beef. This time, every time my server felt he had a rare piece, he'd come over and say "Here is a big, puffy one for you...it should be rare."

Thanks for the tip! I never had a problem with the meat being too dry at Ohana's, but I do like mine more medium rare than medium. I never thought to ask the server for the rarer pieces. We will be there in Sept. and I will definitely try this. I can't wait!