PDA

View Full Version : Is Dining Plan worth it for kids? Variety?

adamalexa
04-24-2007, 09:26 PM
We are going to Disney next May with our kids (their 1st trip) and have been considering the DDP. I have looked at many of the kids menus on the plan and they seem very limited. Can you share your experiences with kids on the dining plan, and any recommendations for places with a good variety? Just how much chicken nuggets and macaroni & cheese can a child eat anyway??:mickey:

Nicki'sMom
04-24-2007, 09:40 PM
I am worried too. My kid loves GOOD food. She eates salmon,steak,chicken and HATES Mac and Cheese. Last year she was two and ate for free but this year, she will have to eat from the kids menu. Im just going to slip here veggies and meat from my plate. Let them say something...I would be surprised if they did.

AuntDJ
04-24-2007, 09:48 PM
The kids meal on the DDP are really lacking! Especially at the CS meals. The TS meals seemed to offer a fairly good assortment of meals.

The meals are on not on your card as adult/child credits rather they are just credits.

As for the other posters question..I was suprised at how many chicken nuggets and french fries my niece could eat! And she never tired of them....

DJ

crazeedizneefinatic
04-24-2007, 09:51 PM
I thought the same thing as I was looking over different menus and making our ADR's for September. I think if I would have to pay for the DDP for my son I would not even though he eats the typical kid food. Luckily we are getting it free in September so I don't feel so bad. Buffets I think would be a better choice for kids who like a variety, since they can also eat the "adult" items. Some of the other places are your typical kid food chicken nuggets, fries, mac and cheese IMO not worth buying the plan.

wendy*darling
04-25-2007, 07:16 AM
The meals are on not on your card as adult/child credits rather they are just credits
Actually, yes they are.
The rules are adult credits are to be used only for adult meals, child credits only for child meals. Originally they were not separated on the card, but now they are!
Your adult meal credits will be deducted separately from the child credits. It is not one big pool, as it was when the program originated.
Too many people were cheating the system and this caused a problem. This is no longer allowed.
( :nono: And, as a reminder, we do not allow discussing how to cheat the system here on INTERCOT!)

AuntDJ
04-25-2007, 01:54 PM
When we were there in March, we purchased more Adult meals than children's on the plan. Even paying out of pocket for the kids meals, we did get more adult meals on the plan. That is why I said they were not different on the card.

DJ

psychotekkie
04-25-2007, 10:22 PM
We have gone twice on the dining plan with small kids who can't eat Mac And Cheese (milk intolerant) and don't particularly like chicken nuggets.

crazeedizneefinatic is absolutely right, the TS meals are great when they are buffet style because the kids can eat anything they want (plus not having to wait for an order).

And beyond that, even for CS meals, I just did some careful pre-planning by checking out the menus online to be sure we went to places with better choices for kids. There a few places per park where you can get what I call "real food" for kids. Try sunshine seasons in Epcot for example. Also check menus for Tusker House in AK and Harbour House in MK (unless I am mistaken).

Niecyboo
04-25-2007, 10:30 PM
We are here right now (I'm just waiting for the kiddies to fall asleep so I can) and I have been pleasantly surprised by the kid's choices so far. We are not on the DDP, due to a convention that brought us here, and my 12 YO has been choosing kid's meals as often as adult because of the great options. Prime Time Cafe has meatloaf, baked fish and baked chicken strips (along with some usuals), at Les Cellier, kids can get steak (with a 2.00 charge). and cheddar cheese soup. There's also all the buffets and family style restaurants. You could make it the whole week without chicken nuggets or mac and cheese, easily with a little planning.

adamalexa
04-26-2007, 09:27 PM
Thank you all for the feedback. I'm not sure which way to go yet, but I've got time.:thumbsup:

em-n-mia's-mommy
04-27-2007, 12:09 AM
I feel there is no variety for kids with the ddp. It was the same thing everywhere we went, chicken nuggets, hot dogs, etc. My kids are not picky eaters like most so they will eat anything we will eat, and they are 2 and 3 years old. By the time we got home they were so sick of chicken nuggets..lol. The one place i found had a better variety in the childrens menu was sci fi dine in theatre in mgm.

magicofdisney
04-27-2007, 12:57 AM
The best variety we found was at Epcot for CS. You could eat lunch there everyday. :mickey: We are going in Sept. with free dining and I've already scheduled buffets for all our TS. Last time we were on the DDP, my kids were very unhappy with the choices and we only scheduled a couple of buffets. This time they'll have bigger and better varieties.

illini
04-27-2007, 01:12 AM
I don't think it's so much a problem with the DDP as it is with Disney Dining in general.

That said, I think it *is* worth it. We've done a lot of buffets because my kids can actually eat decent food there. Since it's your first trip, I'm guessing you'll do some character meals which are buffet or family style. For sit down, we've been able to get grilled chicken as a kids' meal by asking (but we met the chef due to a DD's allergies, so perhaps that was part of it). I think some TS are doing better, but there's still a long way to go.

I'd figure out where you want to eat, then use the DDP calculator on Info Central to see if it's worth it for you. I mean, really... do you want to fork out for an adult entree for your kids at TS? I sure don't, when they'll only eat about 10 bites anyway-- max! Buffets aren't my favorite, but it's the best way to feed my kids better food.

Goes4FastPass
04-27-2007, 11:30 AM
I'm so glad to hear there are children out there who are NOT picky eaters.

Here and elsewhere I seem to hear so much of,
"My DD will only eat chicken fingers."
"Mommy can I have an apple?"
"Shh dear, mommy's talking."

When we take our typical kid to WDW she does great on the DDP.

At Boatrwrights, the server explained since there were no appetizers on the children's menu she could choose an appetizer from the regular menu (wow!). She wiggled in her seat and happily ate shrimp cocktail, albeit with ketchup, the cocktail sauce choice of kids. When her entree arrived, she looked at the chicken strips, looked back at the remain shrimp on her plate and asked the table, "Anybody want some chicken?

At buffets, children can eat anything and everything. Yes, there may be a child height buffet but children can get food from it and the 'tall' stations. PS: I never let a little embarrassment stop me from taking a little mac and cheese and chicken fingers from the short buffet.

WDW's CS meals often include a choice of grapes or carrots. Children's tummies get out of whck when traveling just like adults' often do. Encouraging fruit and carrot comsumption is good for traveling tummies, need I explain more?

In conclusion (whew!) let me say, I don't think vacation, particularly in a place as over stimulating as WDW, is the time to try to change a child's eating habits but If your child likes broccoli, (1) congratualations and (2) you'll be able to get it for them at WDW, including on the DDP.

biodtl
04-27-2007, 12:24 PM
I'm in the minority, but I liked DDP, even for the kids. I thought it was inexpesive enough and the variety wasn't really a problem for us, since we split the meals between buffets, places with more kids selections (like Sci-Fi and WS restaurants) and the standard kids menu places. That was, it wasn't nuggets every meal.

Plus, I am the type that really likes having things pre-paid. I rest easier and enjoy myself more when I am not worrying about the cost of everything. That alone is worth it to me.

Goofy Pluto
04-27-2007, 01:52 PM
I think the way we are going to save the most money with the DDP is WITH the kids. Granted, only our oldest daughter will be on it (others are too young... free food!), but since we'll be doing a number of buffets, the cost of those alone are more than what it costs for a child on the DDP. It's almost like getting a discount on the buffets and then her snacks and other counter service meals are a bonus. Plus, unless things drastically change in 6 months, things like mac and cheese, chicken nuggets, and grilled cheese are right up her alley! :thumbsup: