PDA

View Full Version : Do you take your child out of school to visit WDW?

crazeedizneefinatic
04-24-2007, 04:20 PM
Do you usually take your children out of school to go to WDW?
We do. Our son is 6 and in 1st grade this year. Next trip in September '07 he will be turning 7 in August and we have no problem taking him out for our vacation. Some people say "no way!" but I think it depends on the child and ability to catch up or double up on homework.
My son's teachers in Kindergarden and 1st have worked very nicely with us to get us the assignments that needed completed and my son had no problem getting everything completed and there was alot! We are known as the Disney people! LOL!
Last time we brought along any workbooks that needed completed. We did some while waiting at the airport and on the plane. (no I wasn't as mean to go as far as doing any work on vacation) My son does not seem to mind. Afterall he knows it's a privledge to be taken out of school to go to WDW!
I wondered what others thought were on the subject?

indytraveler
04-24-2007, 04:32 PM
I haven't taken my children out of school for any vacation. I remember as a kid I was taken out to go. However, with 3 kids and two working parents it's a little crazy to get away as it is and throw school on there makes it more difficult. Now if I had the resources we would go in September every year when it's less crowded.

gwfx1031
04-24-2007, 04:36 PM
We have done it on several occassions, but only for a few days at a time. We do it to avoind the summer crowds. I know several people who have taken kids out for an entire school week to go to WDW. I see no harm in it at grade schools ages, or ny age for that matter.

Jasper
04-24-2007, 04:38 PM
As you say, it really depends on the child, the family, and the school. If it is done well in advance and proper arrangements are made for getting caught up I don't see it as a real problem. Of course, if your child is not a top notch student you may want to think twice about it. The other big issue is what grade the child is in. When the child is young it is much easier to make up the work rather than when they are older.

Clotho
04-24-2007, 04:39 PM
This is always a can of worms, so look out!

I grew up with my parents taking us out of school just about every year for a family vacation--we went to Hawaii every year as a family, and I would also get to go to Disneyland with our grandparents once a year. One time we went to New Zealand for a month to live two weeks in the city and two weeks on a farm, to experience another country.

In all cases, my teachers were encouraging of these experiences, and gave us homework to do, and we had to keep journals on our experiences. I was far ahead of my class in everything, and was encouraged to skip grades on many occasions, though my parents did not do so (they feared it would humiliate my older brother who was only 18 months my senior--I would have passed him in grade and they wasn't to spare him that).. My brother wasn't as motivated in school, but definitely just as smart, and we were voracious readers--usually going through multiple books per trip.

We did not suffer. The world did not end. Our teachers were not put out (as I said, they encouraged these experiences and worked with my parents, who were very active in our school's PTA and activities to boot). I was an A student, and have amazing memories of my trips with my family.

There ya go. I say it depends on the child. If the child would struggle to keep up or catch up on their return, I wouldn't encourage it. If the teacher/school is not supportive of it, it will be even harder to make it work. So to each their own.;)

DVC2004
04-24-2007, 04:39 PM
We do. No longer than one week at a time though. It gets harder as they get older and have important stuff going on (important tests, lessons, reports, sports) but they always complete the makeup work. I don't know if we will do this when they are high school age but for now it's been fine. My oldest attends a year round school so they don't mind when we pull him out occassionally.

Jimenyfan
04-24-2007, 04:52 PM
We took our kids out of school when they were younger but not anymore. Our oldest who is a high school freshman has asked us not to take him out because the make up work can be such a pain.

kakn7294
04-24-2007, 04:57 PM
We have done so in the past 2 years but since our oldest DD is entering 7th grade this year and the school has always seemed to frown on taking them out, we opted for August this year. I really hate the hassle of having them catch up on the work they missed while gone. Our first year, DD was expected to complete a project where she was to work with another student to make a globe while we were away - :confused: how do you do that when the kids are 1000 miles apart? This past year, our 1st grade teacher wouldn't give us all of our youngest DD's work so she had tons of stuff to catch up on when we came back - as well as the stuff they were learning that week she was back in school. I'd rather brave the heat and crowds of summer than deal with the garbage the school dishes out.

tink179
04-24-2007, 05:09 PM
:mickey: I'm all for my son being out of school for disney! we were there in january and he's in kindegarten. he missed 10 days of school. we asked the teacher what he needed to do while gone. she sent his journal and wanted him to draw a few pictures and write about some of the things he did on vacation. our next trip will be in jan 09' my oldest son will be in 2nd grade and then i'll have another one in kindegarten. they will miss school again. probably even longer this time since we're planning on adding on universal. i don't think it's worth going during summer vacation, christmas vacation, or spring break. the crowds are way to big during that time, and that would take away from our enjoyment of disney!!!!

magicman
04-24-2007, 05:10 PM
We homeschool so I couldn't vote, but I will say that there are pros & cons to homeschooling, and one of the big pros is that we can conveniently take our vacation during the value season.:thumbsup:

merlinmagic4
04-24-2007, 05:13 PM
My kids missed a Friday before the school vacation. I would LOVE to go during a slow season but my husband is a teacher and can't take days off for vacations. So, we go when it's hot or busy but it's better than not going at all!

mook3y
04-24-2007, 05:14 PM
We took our kids out of school when they were younger but not anymore. Our oldest who is a high school freshman has asked us not to take him out because the make up work can be such a pain.

Our kids are still little, but we are taking our son out of K this year for a 12 day trip. We will take all work with us and make sure he does it.

My DW taught for several years and already spends a lot of time going through workbooks with him.

We feel that part of your education is experiences you have in your life. we feel it is important to spend time together playing and visiting other cultures.

That said.... when the children get to High School age, I would be more reluctant to do so. and as you, if asked not to by my child do to the study load, I would not.

imaprincess!
04-24-2007, 05:18 PM
We did it when they were kindergarten-preschool age and they missed the last day of
1st and 3rd grades so we could go. However, I think our next trip will have to fall during a school break because it gets too difficult for them to catch up as they get older.

:mickey:

Goofeygal
04-24-2007, 05:35 PM
In elementary school I see no problem in it. Middle school we did it but it was a chalange to get caught up and High School the teachers really gave us a hard time about it.

krose78
04-24-2007, 05:47 PM
But only a few days at a time this year he is only missing one day. Next year it may be more but the school system only allows for 10 days total that he can miss.

iluvdizney2
04-24-2007, 06:04 PM
We homeschool as well and this is definitely one very good reason why it is wonderful. We have been evey tme during a slow season and it is more relaxing. We did go one year over the 4th of july and it was crazy. I remember saying how much nicer it will be when all the other kids are in school so we can come back and play.
That said, I know how hard it is to make up work, but Life is more than tests, sports, and homework. Life is experiences and family. We deal with a neuromuscular disease and we live each day to the best of our ability choosing what is really important. We do school work, we do tests, we even play some sports when physically able. We throw in a ton of medical appts, but there is nothing better for a child/young adult than to know the family is a unit and is able to put life aside for amoment and enjoy the magic of memories. For some people all we have is our memories to get us through the rest of real life!
What ever you do, it is truly a presonal choice and depends on what you feel is best.
ok, there is my $0.2 rant!!:blush:

Melanie
04-24-2007, 06:05 PM
Yes, we do. We're fortunate that in DoD schools, they are quite understanding of absences, even for a fun trip to WDW. :)

birdsell
04-24-2007, 06:05 PM
Being a Disney freak, I have a little bit of a different perspective as a high school teacher. I know that generally it is discouraged, but I personally see no problem with it if the child is responsible enough to turn in the make up work.

That being said, it depends a lot on when the child is missing school. I have a student that is going to miss May 9-18 to go to WDW. That's simply a bad time right before finals. Anything before the last month of the semester, however, and I'd have (almost) no hesitation in saying "have fun and bring me a present." :mickey:

Sunshine1010
04-24-2007, 06:12 PM
Ooooooooo - hot topic. I've been involved in a post where it got VERY heated. So whatever is said...don't take it personally.

In saying that - my son is in Kindergarten. We took a vacation....and to be honest - the school threatened to put me in jail if he missed another day because they said ---- it wasn't 'excused' days.

The things that you would think mattered wasn't put into play:
1. he was in Kindergarten
2. he had already won awards for being a leader
3. we are a stable family with reputable jobs
4. we informed the Principal and the teacher beforehand
5. I had him do an entire workbook during vacation
6. He turned in the workbook
7. He is ONLY 5 years old

But again - the Attendance Supervisor at the Board of Education for our city noticed his absences on the paperwork the schools turn in...and she wrote AND called and threatened.....yes, I said threatened....to put us in jail if it happened again.

Kinda scary huh?.....

Advice for you: I'm not sure what to say. Every school system, parent, teacher, Principal and Education Board are different. Consequences are different. Morals are different. State laws are different. Use your best judgement......

P.S. ....pppssssttttt - My child WILL be taken out again in December for a 10 day vacation. They can go ahead and put me in jail. Guilty as charged - I took my son to Disney World!!!!

Ian
04-24-2007, 06:23 PM
In the early years, absolutely we will.

Once the kids get more advanced, though ... junior high/high school ... we'll probably have to re-evaluate.

crazeedizneefinatic
04-24-2007, 06:41 PM
But again - the Attendance Supervisor at the Board of Education for our city noticed his absences on the paperwork the schools turn in...and she wrote AND called and threatened.....yes, I said threatened....to put us in jail if it happened again.
WOW! That is kinda scary. Not being jailed part, but the city trying to tell you how to raise your child! I could see if the child was absent because you could care less and homework was behind. My son goes to a private school run by the Diocese of Pittsburgh. I can just imagine them "telling" me what I could do. Now suggesting is one thing but threatening you! I think if the school was not behind us in our decisions I would not want to make anything hard for my son and would second guess our decision, only becuase I would not want him to suffer. But luckily everyone is very supportive, I have not had a problem yet and do not forsee one. I am VERY active at his school, PTG President, Den leader for scouts, Homeroom mom and everything else that comes my way, LOL. Good luck with your trip in December!

luvdiznee
04-24-2007, 06:48 PM
I have been taking my dd out of school since she was in K-Grade, and now she is in 4th Grade. I'm already taking her out this year as well as when she enters the 5th Grade. After that I will re-evaluate. I hate to have to do that but as she gets older the work as many have said can be harder to make up. But if we do a couple short trips per year (like we are doing this year) perhaps that wont be so bad. :secret:

BigRedDad
04-24-2007, 06:49 PM
I voted yes only because that is what I would do. My wife is a teacher and it will be difficult to take a week off school unless she moves into a year round school (on 9 weeks, off 3 weeks). If you only go when schools are out, you will only be there during the busiest times of the year.

Sunshine1010
04-24-2007, 07:00 PM
Big Red Dad - my son is in a year-round school also.

NewmanFamily6
04-24-2007, 07:18 PM
:secret: Yes we take ours out for Mickey! We had our Kindergartener and 4th grader out 5 days the week before Christmas. We took all assignments with us and finished them all and turned them in. Next year they will miss another 5 days as we are going on the Disney cruise. Luckily the twins are still too young to have to take out;)

vizsla
04-24-2007, 08:28 PM
We pull our DD out of school for a 2 week period each year to go to WDW. Our DD goes to a private school and we have to get permission to take her out. We have already asked permission for this coming November and discussed the situation with the teacher she will have next year. Usually the teachers at the school will give them there school work a week before you leave to get started on it and if there is something they don't understand the teacher can answer their questions and get help before you leave. And for the most part the only schoolwork they have to take along is some school work sheets and study sheets for tests when they return. Also the student must do well in school as far as grades before the principal will grant permission for their absence.

Sean Riley Taylor's Mom
04-24-2007, 08:57 PM
Yes, we take them out for one trip a year to WDW. No more then 5 days out of school. (This year it will be 6). Sean is in 4th, Riley 1st. Both are great students, both do all of their make up work on the plane and once we are there in the evenings. We have always spoken to the Principal and teachers before hand who are very helpful.
We have never taken them out before a major exam or for the prep before.
Our school recommends taking them out at the very beginning of the year when it is generally review or during the winter since most of the state tests are in the Spring. We choose to take them in September.
We will definatley be re evalutaing taking them out when Sean goes into Jr High. (6th). One more year before we have to worry too much.

1EeyoreFan
04-24-2007, 09:49 PM
We normally take DS out of school for 5 days in May (school ends for the summer in May). We take him out the week before school lets out. The crowds are low then since most are in school. He wasn't missing anything academic at that point.

This year we have planned a trip in Sept. Not sure how that will work. Hoping they will still be in the reviewing process at that point. We will talk to the school and ask permission and have his work prepared for him to complete while we travel. Now that he is in middle school it is a little harder to work out since they change classes and have multiple teachers.

tinksmom02
04-24-2007, 10:01 PM
You've all got me a little nervous now...our trip is scheduled for 9/22, about three weeks into the school year, and DD will be starting kindergarten. Friends have been concerned that I was pulling her out too early, when friendships are just being formed. THAT does not conern me, my daughter is very outgoing and makes friends very easily.

All this excused, non-excused, JAIL talk is scaring me! I thought yes, I probably shouldn't be pulling her out for a week, but it's ONLY a week, and we don't do it that often (we WERE just there in Jan, but this is just a fluke, I swear :mickey: ).

You know what? We have decided to have a fmaily vacation, and nothing, I repeat, NOTHING, is more important to me than spending quality time with my family.

Will I do it when she gets older? Probably not, there's too much she'd be missing out on. So we'll do it now, while we can.

conorsmom2000
04-24-2007, 10:36 PM
We took Conor out in Kindergarten and in 1st grade - the school wasn't happy with it, but they didn't give us a hard time. They know that my husband is an electrician, currently working on local school construction - he can't take vacation during school breaks as that is when they get a majority of the work done. So, for right now, during the school year it is. Being Conor is a great student I don't worry about it - but, I too might re-evaluate this when he hits middle school. I just think it would be so much harder to catch up at that point.

bonniejclark
04-24-2007, 10:46 PM
Yes! Schools have to realize that some people live on a tight budget and can't afford to go during the more expensive times of the year (school vacation)! My daughter is 7 and I don't think she is missing out too much but my son is 16 and I worry that he'll fall behind. He thinks Disney is worth it and doesn't mind staying after school to make up homework or lessons.

07- Pop Century
03- All-Star Movies

pianobabe
04-25-2007, 12:59 AM
I confess, I have taken my son out of school to go to WDW. When he was in elementary school and middle school, it wasn't a problem. I would always talk with his teachers and the principal. His absences were always counted as excused, because they were "pre-arranged" trips. He never had a problem falling behind in his classes. In fact, we always tried to find something educational that went along with what he was studying in his classes.
Now that he is in High School, I won't take him out for several reasons. First, it is much harder for him to make up work. They miss so much more when they are out even one day, let alone a week. Second, our school system has a different absentee policy for High School. Third, with our schools, only your grade point average from High School has a bearing on college prospects.
I have felt guilty going during the school year and leaving him with Grandma. But, it gives my husband and I a chance to have a romantic vacation with just the two of us. Also, I had to promise my son that when his band goes to WDW, I won't go as a chaperone:( . I guess he needs his time away too.

alicia524luvstw
04-25-2007, 06:06 AM
Yes I do! My son is in 4th grade now and we've taken him out every year since 1st grade. I just make sure he's not absent any other days unless he's sick. Make-up work is a hassle as the school won't give it out in advance. One year his teacher asked him to write a report about his trip. Perfect!

merlinmagic4
04-25-2007, 06:34 AM
After reading some of the posts, I am going to say what I always say in this debate. It is unreasonable to ask a teacher to prepare all of a child's work ahead of time when they will be out for vacation. Many teachers will be happy to do it but others may like to hold the work aside as it is completed in class while you are on vacation (this is much easier and more accurate). Teachers work hard and spend a lot of time outside of school on planning and correcting work and most of them don't get the opportunity to travel during the value season (although most will support your family vacation). The courteous thing to do is to ask the teacher what works best for him/her and then deal with either work on vacation or make up work once you get home.

Peace :hands:

mook3y
04-25-2007, 09:30 AM
Teachers work hard and spend a lot of time outside of school on planning and correcting work and most of them don't get the opportunity to travel during the value season (although most will support your family vacation). The courteous thing to do is to ask the teacher what works best for him/her and then deal with either work on vacation or make up work once you get home.

I agree.

:D That said. This year we are taking friends with us. The DW is a teacher and having to make plans for a sub is a LOT of work for her to do. But to be able to spend a week with her little ones at WDW during a slower period of time, she found it worth it.

As far as being threatened by a school with "Jail".... :sick: My response would be. hmmmmm home schooling is sounding better all the time.

Sunshine1010
04-25-2007, 10:11 AM
mook -

I'm the one that the administration threatened to put in jail.

....yeah, I thought about home-schooling. And MANY people do it in my town. My husband and I have thought about it a lot.

My son is in Kindergarten.....and the things he has heard, said, and had happen to him since he started school is frightening.

It makes you wonder: "How did I make it through public school"...he he. But, I did....and I'm a normal, well-adjusted individual.

But - I am having to weigh all the options to actually home-school. My husband and I will still continue to think about this.

ibrowse17
04-25-2007, 10:38 AM
DW and I do not have kids yet. However, we are both teachers and take ourselves out of school to go to WDW:thumbsup:

Dsnygirl
04-25-2007, 11:05 AM
:mickey: We do, but it is maily b/c at our DD's ages (5&8) they are able to catch up on their work rather easily, and their teachers are very supportive. But I have heard parents of older students say that after they returned from a week away from school, their child said, "Don't ever do that to me again", as they really struggled to catch up and it wasn't worth it to them in the long run. Although our trips are equally as exciting to my DD's as they are to my DH and I, we want the kids to enjoy themselves and not feel stressed afterwards. So -- I have to say that I think as our girls get older, we will try to minimize time out of school and incorporate in some long weekends, or time it to coincide with part of a break, if possible. Again, it will totally depend on the teacher and the amount of work expected -- if we can plan ahead during a time when things are a bit slower schoolwork-wise, I'd much prefer to not be at WDW during any part of a break!

goofysbabe
04-25-2007, 12:14 PM
I'm all for taking them out. Like another poster stated "once they hit junior/high school, we'll have to reevaluate". We like to go in the off season with less crowds and cooler weather. Most of the teachers at our children's school don't say much. I think they are becoming use to the idea (seeing as we are not the only one's doing this). While we are gone - I do have the children do little projects - like my kindergartener doing a "Disney" A to Z book to help out with learning alaphabet. My second grader does his own projects - maybe learn more about a certain animal that kinda thing.

Marker
04-25-2007, 12:57 PM
I'm trying to recall if we ever took our kids out of school for a family vacation or not. I don't believe we did, but wouldn't swear to it. But I doubt we did.

We treated school as responsibility, just like going to work. Can they get the work done, sure. But what priority does it demonstrate. You don't just disappear from work without taking vacation time, or being sick, or having a justifable reason. We tried to demonstrate that same "importance" to education. Skipping school was just not something done, just like skipping work is not, or calling in "sick". Even at kindergarten age, behaviors are observed and learned.

So I really don't think we did. And if we had a reason to take them out of school, we made sure the work went with us, and that they did it. In fact, they may have had to do more because they were gone.

But that was just how we did it. It seems to have worked out ok. But not saying that's the only way to do things.

kakn7294
04-25-2007, 02:26 PM
After reading some of the posts, I am going to say what I always say in this debate. It is unreasonable to ask a teacher to prepare all of a child's work ahead of time when they will be out for vacation. Many teachers will be happy to do it but others may like to hold the work aside as it is completed in class while you are on vacation (this is much easier and more accurate). Teachers work hard and spend a lot of time outside of school on planning and correcting work and most of them don't get the opportunity to travel during the value season (although most will support your family vacation). The courteous thing to do is to ask the teacher what works best for him/her and then deal with either work on vacation or make up work once you get home.

I'm one of the ones who's post sounds like I'm teacher-bashing. I really don't mean to - please forgive me! :giveup: There are some really great teachers and schools out there and I know that many teachers work very hard. Because of the things that have happened with our girls and missing school, I've found it to be too much of a hassle. We will try to avoid taking our girls out of school if at all possible although that's not to say I will never do it again.

merlinmagic4
04-25-2007, 02:36 PM
I thought your post was valid (working on a report with another student during vacation seems really unfair). We have a school system that lets children miss for vacation with pretty much no questions asked but it's frowned upon for a teacher to even take a day before or after a scheduled school vacation! I also realize that not every system is like ours and parents get hassled for taking kids out. I wish we were in a system where the teachers can take weeks off when they want to; now that would be cool :thumbsup:

Deesdisney
04-25-2007, 04:15 PM
Yes we do. Unfortunately my dh has a job that is very hard to take any vacation. He has 1 month to take it. After Thanksgiving to New years. So I take my kids out for a week every December. This year however one kid is a manager at a bowling alley, one kid is going to be a senior and the other one is 4 and will not be in school yet. Looks like family vacations are coming to an end. So I think there will be 2 of us this year cause my son is playing football and my dh wants to see him play.:( :(

magicman
04-25-2007, 04:45 PM
Who nedes schrool. Mie Mam and Drad toock me owt all the tyme.

(Just keeping it light.);)

jrpersinger
04-25-2007, 06:14 PM
I guess I am one of the oddballs, but my answer is 110% --Absolutely-- NOT! My oldest is in 1st grade and has perfect attendence. Something she is very proud of. She had surgery on her pinky finger on a Sunday and was back to school on Monday, even tho the dr gave her a 3-day pass. I am extremely proud that she is this way. My 2nd DD starts K in the fall and I hope she is the same as her sister.

I don't believe in missing school unless its "real" reason... i.e. seriously sick, surgery, death in the family, etc.....

Marker said it best for me.....

We treated school as responsibility, just like going to work. Can they get the work done, sure. But what priority does it demonstrate. You don't just disappear from work without taking vacation time, or being sick, or having a justifable reason. We tried to demonstrate that same "importance" to education. Skipping school was just not something done, just like skipping work is not, or calling in "sick". Even at kindergarten age, behaviors are observed and learned.

Melanie
04-25-2007, 06:50 PM
I don't believe in missing school unless its "real" reason... i.e. seriously sick, surgery, death in the family, etc.....

I think it all depends on the situation. :) Regarding our most recent trip, my husband found out during the holidays that he was headed to Iraq soon. That was a very real reason for our sons to miss school. We needed some of that Disney magic which makes us happy and gives us such wonderful family memories. IMO, much more important in the long run than a week of school.

jrpersinger
04-25-2007, 07:10 PM
I think it all depends on the situation. :) Regarding our most recent trip, my husband found out during the holidays that he was headed to Iraq soon. That was a very real reason for our sons to miss school. We needed some of that Disney magic which makes us happy and gives us such wonderful family memories. IMO, much more important in the long run than a week of school.

Can't say I agree. My DH has been to Iraq twice now and will be going back on his 3rd tour in the near future. We will not pull our kids out of school for him leaving. Just as if his RnR didn't line up with DD1 Christmas break for pre-k... we wouldn't have went. Maybe take a Friday, but never a full week.

merlinmagic4
04-25-2007, 07:20 PM
Who nedes schrool. Mie Mam and Drad toock me owt all the tyme.

(Just keeping it light.);)

:funny: :fresh: :high5:

Melanie
04-25-2007, 08:05 PM
Can't say I agree. My DH has been to Iraq twice now and will be going back on his 3rd tour in the near future. We will not pull our kids out of school for him leaving. Just as if his RnR didn't line up with DD1 Christmas break for pre-k... we wouldn't have went. Maybe take a Friday, but never a full week.

Our priorities and opinions are different. That's what makes the world go 'round. Thanks to your husband for his service. :flag:

crazypoohbear
04-25-2007, 08:38 PM

I absolutely agree that this was a valid reason to pull them! ( I read your trip reports to Japan and thought they were great)

Thanks to people like your husband, people like me can voice opinions freely!:blush: :thumbsup:

Everyone here has to make the judgement of what is right for their own child.

I pulled my DS's out in December 2005 for the Mousefest cruise. I agonized over this for a year. I called my older son's high school to check before booking to make sure he wouldn't miss anything. They said it was the best time to pull him ( before vaction everything would just be review for mid terms in January.)
My younger son's school gave us more trouble, he was in 4th grade.
Neither school would give work before the trip
I knew that was the policy so that wasn't an issue.

princessjojo
04-25-2007, 08:41 PM

We have always felt the same way. I wish like heck that we had year round schools in our area. School is their "occupation" for lack of a better word and their vacation comes early in June, July & August.

It is also unfortunate that both of our boys were out of their school just 2 years ago. Younger son missed 12 weeks & older son missed 16weeks. They were both in the hospital at the same time though and we were lucky enough to have them enrolled in hosital school. The same year we ended up holding the younger son back in school that year, but he is a slower learner. Older son missed more school, came home with the homebound program and still finished in the top of his class that year. Learning comes much easier for him though. Older DS is now in middle school and younger DS still struggles. For those reasons alone, we wouldn't think of pulling them out for more than 2 days at a time.

I will say though that if both boys were in elementary school and were good learners, I would reconsider my position. As many others have advised as well, it really depends on the kind of student your child is and if you're comfortable with your decision. I don't have the discipline to deal with my kids and that much work during a vacation. I want to have fun just as much, if not more than they do (it's the child in me).

conorsmom2000
04-25-2007, 08:44 PM
The courteous thing to do is to ask the teacher what works best for him/her and then deal with either work on vacation or make up work once you get home.

That's exactly what we did - we spoke to the teacher and asked her how she wanted to handle it - she said that she preferred that Conor make up the work after our trip, which was fine with us. Then she gave Conor a travel journal to fill out to share with the class. We then gave him a disposable camera so he could take his own pictures and we had him write in the journal every night. When we got home, we added his pictures and turned it - the teacher then had Con share it with the class. After he did so, she returned it to us, so we now have an awesome keepsake of our trip, from his 6 year old point of view. It was a great experience and we are grateful! :thumbsup:

Whenever this debate comes up, I am reminded of the motto of Conor's preschool.... "Some families do, some families don't....every family does what's best for them!" :mickey:

princessjojo
04-25-2007, 08:57 PM
Whenever this debate comes up, I am reminded of the motto of Conor's preschool.... "Some families do, some families don't....every family does what's best for them!" :mickey:

Couldn't have said it better myself.

Magic Smiles
04-25-2007, 09:35 PM
We always pull our DS out of school for our Disney holiday. I won't go at the busy times. Last year we pulled him out of Grade 8 for 3 weeks. He is fortunately a great student and was only given one assignment to catch up on when he returned from vacation. This coming December we will be pulling him out of Grade 10 for 2 1/2 weeks. Hopefully the teachers will give him his homework before we leave as when we return the school will be on their 2 weeks Christmas break. DS has already been told by us that he will be working on homework during the Christmas break this year, but certainly no homework while in Disney. After all we are on vacation and you only live once!

GrmGrninGost
04-29-2007, 05:36 PM
We used to take our DKs out of school for Disney Vacation. Now we home school! Works out great!

SallyfromDE
04-30-2007, 10:50 AM
Courtney is now 18, and I've been taking her out for her Disney trip since she was 4. The last 3 years, she hasn't gone with us becuase of college prep. She's extremely smart (and we don't know where she got it) and trying to get the best school she can for forensic science and grants etc..... Be we have taken her for Easter break. Which was really a great trip. Although more of a financial hardship because of the higher plane and hotel prices. She was raised that if she had good grades, that good things will happen to good people. So she has missed school for other events, tho' not a week like for Disney.

My peeve now is the teachers that say how hard thier job is to do the extra work for a student to take a vacation. Well, I have a hard job to. I have to do extra work when someone is on vacation. Because of downsizing, I do the work of 3 people. So I don't want to hear it. Not everyone has the option of going on vacation during school holidays. I don't. I'm in retail and key periods are pretty well off for me.

Because of the No Child Be Left behind, we did have an unpleasant incident with Courtneys school. Her Dad left for Iraq about a year ago and we kept her home from a band show to be with him the night before she left. The school dropped her an entire grade because it was mandatory. They knew well in advance that she wouldn't be there. We tried to fight the grade, but they kept siting "no child be left behind". Yet I have cousins that are teachers and take vacations during school year.

Jeff Gordon, race car driver, had applied to his school to miss a month so he could go to Australia for a race. The school board denied it becuase you can't make a living racing cars. This man now makes his living racing cars. He's a millionaire and multi time champion. Breaking many records. Just pointing out that the schools don't know what if right for your child.

I'm the parent and it's my job to ensure that my kid gets good grades so she can do the things she wants to. She just ranked 4th in a statewide competition (650 students) for forensic science. She won 2 medals and had a huge right up in the newspapers.

So YES!!! I will take my child out of school for vacation, providing they work at getting good grades.

I'm now off my soap box.

MickeyandTink
04-30-2007, 12:43 PM
I agree. School is extremely important and was emphasized to me by my parents and my DW and I do the same for our DD. However, it is not the be-all, end-all. There are a number of experiences in life that are more important a typical 3-4 days of school and being out of school does not always jibe with when M&D can take a vacation. :vacation:

I remember my school days and missing 2 or 3 days at a time on occasion for school sponsored trips or sporting events. For those of us who have jobs that don't have fixed vacation periods, you have to leave sometime and miss work if you are ever going to have a real vacation. And sometimes going during the school year is the only way to afford it (say Free DDP and off season hotel rates).

So YES!!! I will take my child out of school for vacation, providing they work at getting good grades.

But, I do agree that the kids have to do their part. If the grades start to suffer, then no go. (Since DD's will be in first grade on our trip and is a very good student, I'm not too worried about it this year). Besides, if you plan for it, it can be even more educational than a few days in the classroom.

Tygger7
04-30-2007, 01:20 PM
Absolutely...in fact, I'll be taking my 15-year old out next May for 2 weeks. We've been homeschooling for the past 4 years and are used to working independently. Actually, if the school was going to give us a problem about letting us go, we weren't going to re-enroll in public school. It's definitely worth it to miss the crowds, and you'll be able to do a LOT more in the same amount of time. We went end of June/early July one year and it was totally miserable....wall to wall people, 2+ hour waits for most every attraction, and 98-101 degrees every day. Tried going to Blizzard Beach and the lines were so bad that in 8 hours we only got on 2 rides/slides. Add to that, it's easier for us to get off work because everyone wants to take vacations in June, July, and August. Just my two cents. :D