PDA

View Full Version : Need help.

Deesdisney
04-24-2007, 02:02 PM
I have been trying to buy into dvc for 5 years. But my husband is having a hard time with this purchase. For one thing it is not forever. 2ND he was told that it is cheaper and could be forever some where else. I do not want somewhere else. So with this in mind does anyone know what will happen after the final year of the contract? Would be offered to buy again at a discount rate? Or will that be it? I know that ss is longer in the years and akl but I am trying to get a resale. Please help me try to convence my husband.

DVC2004
04-24-2007, 02:50 PM
No one knows. So I guess how I would approach this with hubby is to point out how old he will be when the contact ends. Will he still want to go? We own at SSR and when our contract ends I will be 78 and my DH will 82. My kids will be 57 and 55. Remember, this is basically prepaying for your vacations and locking in today's prices. Sure you can sell later and probably make a profit still. Good luck.

MarkC
04-24-2007, 05:12 PM
This is pure speculation on my part, but my guess is they will offer the current owners the right to purchase for the next 35 years or so. Who knows what the cost per point may be by then-- $200? $300? I don't see that there is any way they can force you to buy more points since the property is technically "sold out".

lockedoutlogic
04-24-2007, 09:13 PM
You're in a tough situation....I can't tell you what is the 100% correct course of action....but here's what I know:

If either of you are the least bit uncomfortable...I would not buy it. Since it is a timeshare vacation sale....and by it's very nature a luxury...then there shouldn't be anxiety or disgruntlement in the process.

good luck...if you still need time for convicincing...I would take it and let things work out on their own...DVC will sell to you when you're ready...I can guarantee that.

Fortgoofy97
04-25-2007, 09:39 AM
Have to agree with DVC2004! Who knows what will happen at contracts end. But how old will you be, 70's, 80's maybe 60's. Sure I know if I'm still around I'll still want to go down but by then maybe my kids will have their own shares and I can tag along with them! Or maybe I'll just buy in AGAIN! Heck what's another add-on anyway! Can't take it with me !:cloud9:

Deesdisney
04-26-2007, 11:34 AM
Thank you. I think I will try the age approach. Because he said he wanted it to leave to the kids. But by that time they might have there own if not we will buy again if we get the chance. I got closer to a yes. He said maybe at the end of the year. :party: Keep your fingers crossed for me.

DVCWDWMEMBER
04-26-2007, 12:27 PM
I know how you feel Deesdisney. My husband too did not want to buy into the vacation club at first. I tried since 1993 and with my daughter's help finally convinced him in 2002.
You will not believe what he said after taking our first vacation with the DVC points.
" We should have bought in 1993". There is hope for you. We have enjoyed every bit of the vacation club and will hopefully enjoy it for years to come. :mickey:

rsumrall
04-26-2007, 03:31 PM
I just caved and bought my own stake at SSR (first trip coming in Feb. 08).

I think a man processes the DVC differently than a woman does. For me, the change in my decision came when I stopped trying to see it as an investment (is it or isn't it? a subject for another post) and began viewing it as prepaying a significant portion of our vacations through 2054. Then it began to make sense to me. I was locking in Disney vacations 40 years in advance at 2007 rates. Try that line of thinking with him and see if it helps.

Good luck.

Deesdisney
04-27-2007, 05:11 PM
Thank you for all the advice. He is coming around really slow. However if anyone can tell me if we get discount tickets for the parks? This might help too. I noticed that all the special holiday nights there is. A big plus.

DVC2004
04-27-2007, 05:53 PM
Currently no discount park tickets, only on select dates for the special events like the Halloween or Christmas Party. There is a great discount however on annual passes. On the basic pass (no water parks) it is currently $100 off the adult price and $85 of the childrens. There is a bigger discount on the premium annual pass.

Also there are other discounts on dining, golf, Pleasure Island, park tours, etc. So there are many other perks as well.

Donald A
04-27-2007, 10:03 PM
Our contract at SSR resort expires in 2054. Buildings, especially in hurricane prone Florida, do not last forever. Take a timeshare built in 1960. Without significant upkeep, I bet it is not that nice. I imagine with many of them majority rules, if the majority of the owners want a big improvement you might not have a choice if you are charged for these improvements. What I am saying is some of these timeshares that they say don't expire actually can in a sense. The only difference is a timeshare with actual real estate ownership will provide a return if a building gets run down and the land sells but also may take a great deal more money to upkeep too.

Deesdisney
04-28-2007, 09:59 AM
WOW. I think that all the info might be working. Specially when I told him about the discounts on tours. I never new this. Also I didnt think about off site resorts that need keep up. I have been to a few in other places that were bad. Really good point. I might get my dream and wish in Feb. Cant wait.

DVC2004
04-28-2007, 10:04 AM
Don't forget to tell him about all the other places you can go, too, besides Disney. Hawaii, Mexico, may places all over the US and Europe. Plus you can use points for the cruise, DL CA, DL Paris, etc. There are so many options! Good luck. We are so glad we joined!