PDA

View Full Version : Is there a playground at the Polynesian? How about at the YC/BC?

BrerGnat
04-23-2007, 06:22 PM
I mean an actual playground, not a water play area. Anyone know. I can't tell from the resort "maps".

Thanks!

SBETigg
04-23-2007, 07:08 PM
I'm not sure, Natalie, but I seem to remember there being one on the beach, further away from the pool and more in front of the Tahiti area. My kids are older and don't go for the playground scene, so I'm not positive but do think I remember one there for some reason. Maybe check Steve "Tikiman's" site by Googling Polynesian and Tikiman to see if it comes up? Or someone else is sure to come along with a definitive answer soon.

Figment!
04-23-2007, 08:15 PM
From Polynesian Resort (http://www.intercot.com/resorts/disney/polynesian/default.asp)
For the Mouseketeer: A play area is located near the Nanea Volcano Pool. From Beach Club Resort (http://www.intercot.com/resorts/disney/beachclub/default.asp) / Yacht Club Resort (http://www.intercot.com/resorts/disney/yachtclub/default.asp)
For the Mouseketeer: A playground is located near Stormalong Bay.
Both are listed as playgrounds where kids can "climb, swing and slide".

--Edit--

Apparently the Polynesian location is a water play area only.

bouncer
04-23-2007, 08:21 PM
I was just there in March and can tell you for sure that the "Play Area" near the volcano pool is water jets only. We stayed in the Hawaii building which is next to the "Play Area." My DS4 loved the zero entry pool and playing in the sand on the beach. An actual playground set can't be found. He never missed it.

Figment!
04-23-2007, 08:32 PM
I was just there in March and can tell you for sure that the "Play Area" near the volcano pool is water jets only..An actual playground set can't be foundCan't argue with your experience, but Birnbaum's and several other Guide Books list otherwise :shrug:

SBETigg
04-23-2007, 10:07 PM
Now I'm more confused and wondering if I didn't just dream up a Poly playground or something. I really thought I remembered one in the area sort of between Hawaii and Tahiti, but now I think not. Sorry!

FiggyFan
04-23-2007, 10:40 PM
There was a playground at the Poly near the themed pool. When standing at the old pool looking towards MK, it was closer to the lake and on the right side. We haven't stayed there in a while - did they take the playground out when they put in the volcano pool?

I don't remember a playground at BC, but DS is too old for that now, so I haven't really looked.

BrerGnat
04-24-2007, 01:29 PM
So the definitive answer is....maybe???

LOL, that's why I'm so confused. No one seems to really know. That's why I would like actual proof (i.e. a picture of such a playground).

Even though it's not a HUGE deal, we plan to spend a LOT of time at our resort on our first trip as a family. Our boys will be around 4 and 2 and we go to the playgrounds around our home daily (we have about 5 good ones, and we rotate). It's part of our routine, and when we go on our trip, since we'll be there for so long (thinking about 8-10 days at this point), we plan every other day to be a "resort" only day, so I wanted them to have a playground to play at, for a little piece of "home", if that makes sense. Oldest DS is autistic and routines are very important to him, and I think he would miss his "park time" over a period of 10 days...

Also, does anyone know the status of the playground over at the Contemporary? Is it gone or closed off due to the construction?

If there was a playground at either the Contemp or GF that we could easily ride the monorail over to, that would be just as good.

Similarly, if we choose the Epcot area, if there is a playground at ANY of the Epcot resorts that we could visit, that would work too.

Seems like most of the good playgrounds are at the values and moderates, and that won't be an option for us for this trip.

BigRedDad
04-24-2007, 02:21 PM
I hope it is not against ICot rules to post links to other WDW sites for informational purposes.

Not too much details from many other sites, but I did find these photos that have playgrounds. Not sure how up to date they are:

Contemporary:
<snip>

POR:
<snip>

Wilderness Lodge:
<snip>

Caribbean Beach Resort:
<snip>

Coronado Springs (There are a LOT of things here):
<snip>

pshokie
04-24-2007, 02:57 PM
Natalie, I have checked Tikiman's website, and he does not have any proof (read: visual confirmation in the form of a picture) on his website. Of course, it could be hidden in some deep dark corner somewhere....

There is a photo of the water jets in the location bedside/near the volcano pool, just no playground.

I will be at the Poly in 12 days. :woohoo: I will keep my eyes peeled. If I see the mythical playground, I will attempt to get a photo of it.

Why do I suddenly feel like we are taking about the Loch Ness Monster????? :scratch:

StillSimbaGirl
04-24-2007, 05:22 PM
Just FYI - AK and MGM both have great play areas - and we have spent a ton of time in them...Either place can get a kid pretty wet. You may want some dry clothes if there are sensory issues.

However, I can't really remember a playground at the Poly - or the BC and I was just there. I remember AKL's playground actually existing...

Here's my thought - routine is very important...you may want to incorporate playground time at the parks (Tom Sawyers' Island was also a big...place to climb around).

Also, if you are looking for a playground with swings...I don't recall any swings, anywhere...mostly just climbing equipment with a slide.

One helpful thing...post-it notes for the potties; those automatic flushers freak out lots of kids...even some without "issues."

FYI, you are doing the right things IMHO, by NOT overdoing the parks - you may be pleasantly surprised by your children's desire to do more...but set it up as a reasonably quiet trip. The autistic child might really enjoy Epcot (it's quieter, less crowded, less stimulating, less frenetic etc.) But not over exerting the kids..priceless.

Both the Poly and the BC are good choices...easy transportation and they are fairly quiet places. My goal is to someday stay at Pop Century!!! Here's to DD8 tolerating the craziness.

Our schedule ran something like 9am - to after lunch at a Park; swimtime at the pool; followed by a 5:40 dinner PS (usually at Epcot). Bed at 7:30. DD8 - when she was 5 could tolerate the parks for maybe 4 hours at a time...so we went every day...just not for a long time.

Best of luck...and trust me on the post-its!

Maleficent's Dad
04-24-2007, 08:54 PM
Can't say for sure about the Poly, but there is definitely one at the BC.

It's on the YC side of SAB. You can even see it just walking past SAB.

BrerGnat
04-25-2007, 01:11 AM
Thanks everyone! I know there are no swings at WDW (safety, I assume), but just the familiarity of a playground structure will probably be comforting to DS. I have no doubts that he will be fine...we do Disneyland all the time and he loves to play on Tom Sawyer Island and the play areas in Toontown and in DCA. However, I think the playgrounds will offer a place for him (and his brother) to play AWAY from the ruckus of the play areas inside the parks. I have seen how they can get! DS shies away from places swarming with other kids, although we are hoping he is more social by the time our trip comes up. He will be starting a special ed preschool program this September, so hopefully he'll be more at ease around lots of kids all in one place. :)

pshokie: your post made me laugh out loud. "Mythical playground"...:rotfl: ...I look forward to getting an answer from you!

Maleficent's Dad: Thank you too...the Yacht Club is the other one we're considering, along with Polynesian. I also have SEEN pictures of the playground at the Swan/Dolphin, so that's within walking distance of YC. Good to know there is DEFINITELY a playground near SAB!

tikiman
04-25-2007, 10:37 AM
The playground was located at the end of the Hawaii longhouse but was removed when they built the new volcano pool in 2001. The area the playground was in is where the new wet play area is now.

Much of the information in Birnbaum's about the resorts is over 10 years old and has not been updated. If you want a guide book with more current information, get the Unofficial Guide book.

Aloha

Steve

vamaggie
04-25-2007, 10:45 AM
Thank you Steve!!! Knew you would have all the correct info! Can't wait til we get to experience the Poly ourselves this fall!

tikiman
04-25-2007, 12:46 PM
Thank you Steve!!! Knew you would have all the correct info! Can't wait til we get to experience the Poly ourselves this fall!

Have a great trip.

Aloha

Steve

BrerGnat
04-25-2007, 07:28 PM
Yes, thank you Steve! I knew you'd come along sooner or later with a final answer!

I appreciate everyone's help with this. :thumbsup:

SBETigg
04-25-2007, 09:17 PM
Well, not my help surely. I totally made up a playground! LOL! I swear I can still see it there, too. I had to have dreamed it.

tikiman
04-26-2007, 10:08 AM
Yes, thank you Steve! I knew you'd come along sooner or later with a final answer!

I appreciate everyone's help with this. :thumbsup:

Anything for another Californian ;)

tikiman
04-26-2007, 10:12 AM
Well, not my help surely. I totally made up a playground! LOL! I swear I can still see it there, too. I had to have dreamed it.

You were not that far off. It was right next to the beach near Hawaii, just not farther down. The only other location use to be something over near the GCH but that was in the 70’s and early 80’s. The only think that use to be past Hawaii was a putting green but that was before the quiet pool and Tokelau were built and way before Tahiti and Rapa Nui existed.