PDA

View Full Version : SeaWorld or Busch Gardens Tampa?

castlegirl
04-23-2007, 06:20 PM
We've been trying to do some "non-Disney" attractions during our trips to WDW and the Orlando area. Previously, we went to Kennedy Space Center and Gatorland.

This summer we'd like to try either SeaWorld or Busch Gardens Tampa. We went to BG Europe in VA over Easter break and were thinking about BG in FL to compare. SeaWorld looks great, too.

Which do you prefer? All your great experiences with both are appreciated!

TennesseeTink
04-23-2007, 07:58 PM
I've never been to Busch Gardens so I can't comment on that one but on our last trip we went to Sea World for the first time and absolutely LOVED it! It was DH, DD 8, DD 14 and I and there was plenty to do for everyone. I had no idea that there would be as many rides as there were and they were great. Of course there's Shamu(bring ponchos and sit up close :thumbsup: ). Our favorite parts were the dolphins nursery and feeding the dolphins. How fun!! We would all love to go back and I highly recommend trying this park at least once!

Touchdown
04-23-2007, 07:59 PM
You cant really compare the two, to sum it up SW=a park with great shows and oh yeah we have some rides! BGA=a good amusement park (I still like BGE more) and oh yeah we are a zoo!

SW is a unique experience outside of the first hour you wont be riding rides, youll be bouncing from show to show, where as BGA is much more of a theme park. Either way youll have fun.

GreenBeetle
04-23-2007, 08:00 PM
We've never been to Busch Gardens Tampa - would love to though. But I can honestly say that our venture off Disney property to SeaWorld last year was not that exciting. Maybe we are just too spoiled by that "Disney feeling". The best part of the day was Dinner with Shamu. The buffet was quite good and we enjoyed some up-close and personal time with Shamu. That was something I can recommend.

I'd look forward to reading some reviews of Busch Gardens Tampa.

RAIDER
04-25-2007, 07:51 AM
Ive been to both and i think it depends what ages your kids are or if you have them at all

Busch Gardens has more thrill rides as well as the zoo

Seaworld is more family orientated with more shows ...

For me Seaworld has been on the decline for the past few years which is sad ..... so out of the two i would go for Busch Gardens

Have a great time either way :thumbsup:

WelshieLover
04-25-2007, 03:39 PM
Busch Gardens Tampa is a lot of fun. I think the theming in Williamsburg is much prettier. It is similar in the types of rides offered. It has some great coasters and the setting where they let you sample beer is beautiful - lots of birds to watch. There is also a monorail type ride through the savannah. I have not been to Se World in a long time. Animal shows are fun, but a whole day of them is too much for my family.

ayeckley
04-27-2007, 12:57 PM
My personal experiences with Busch Gardens Tampa (or is it Busch Gardens Africa?) weren't great the last time I was there (about two years ago), although I historically have enjoyed it more than Sea World. The park itself is great, but the employee attitudes and other guests put a pretty big damper on my enjoyment. Many of the employees were completely indifferent to their work (i.e. sloooowww) and the teenage kids were a too rowdy for my tastes (line jumping, swearing, etc.). I didn't experience either of those things at Sea World, nor do I see it in significant amounts at WDW, DL or Cedar Point. I guess it just draws a different crowd in terms of employees as well as guests.

bleukarma
04-27-2007, 04:47 PM
It really depends on what your family would enjoy. If you have younger kids that would appreciate seeing the animal shows the I would go for SeaWorld and wait for your kids to get older to go to Busch Gardens. Busch Gardens has a lot more thrill rides then SeaWorld does. But if you have older kids that would enjoy the thrill rides more then go for Busch Gardens. Sea World only has 3 thrill rides and Busch Gardens has a lot more then that. But the animal shows at SeaWorld are a lot better then the ones at Busch Gardens.

bshaw96
04-27-2007, 07:59 PM
I'm with everyone else, really depends on you. My kids (6 and 9) have enjoyed SW up until now, but they're getting older now and or more interested in rides. I've been to BG Tampa once, and BG Williamsburg many times. To me, Williamsburg is hands down much better. Either way, have fun!!!!!!

paragon
05-22-2007, 01:55 PM
Last year on our trip, we were in the same situation, we were going back and forth between the four hour drive to Busch Gardens Tampa, or the hour and forty five to Sea World. We chose Sea World. For us, it was the wrong choice. I was very disappointed in what Sea World has become, and very surprised to see a DOG AND CAT show there. I'm not sure if the park is now bigger or smaller, with the lake being cut down in size. There were far roo many gift shops with very pricey ornamental giftware. The shows were great though, I was just disappointed in what its become. And I knew it the minute I saw that roller coaster being built. They are currently constructing thier own WATER PARK across the street too, so maybe that will make it a bit better. but I wish we had gone to Busch Gardens instead.

Wells
05-22-2007, 05:50 PM
Last year on our trip, we were in the same situation, we were going back and forth between the four hour drive to Busch Gardens Tampa, or the hour and forty five to Sea World.
Four hours!?...Holy smoke...you must drive REALLY slow! I have a condo in Clearwater and it is exactly 91 miles to WDW, and that is on the far side of the Tampa bay. I usually get to WDW in about an hour and a half, still a considerable drive.
Busch Gardens is a combination amusement park, wildlife gallery and beer commercial. They do have some world class roller coasters there, Kumab, Montu and Shikra come to mind, but not to many rides for children under about 13-14 or so. There is a safari type ride called Rhino rally with a pretty good story line (including an unexpected ride down the river) which is O.K., but not as good as Kilimanjaro Safaris. The animal shows and exhibits are well designed, with an emphasis on conservation and protection of endangered species, they even have some pandas. They offer several tours with specialized themes, mostly related to wildlife and their habitats which are worth doing. Overall, it is a good days entertainment, but don't go expecting Disney level services, cause it ain't Disney!
(Oh, and did I mention free beer!):beer:

RAIDER
05-24-2007, 09:33 AM
Busch Gardens if you like rides and its more for grown ups
Seaworld if you have a young family

So i plumped for Busch Gardens :thumbsup:

krose78
05-24-2007, 09:44 AM
I would say busch gardens, it is only about an hour and a half away and I did take a 2 and 5 year old and they had plenty of fun. Sea world is okay if you have never gone before but I prefered Busch Gardens.

Rockstar Boyfriends
05-24-2007, 02:56 PM
Four hours!?...Holy smoke...you must drive REALLY slow! I have a condo in Clearwater and it is exactly 91 miles to WDW, and that is on the far side of the Tampa bay. I usually get to WDW in about an hour and a half, still a considerable drive.

Well, if you hit bad traffic on I-4 or drive during rush hour, your trip might be 4 hours! :)

PAYROLL PRINCESS
06-10-2007, 10:33 PM
I was wondering where Paragon was driving from? I can make it to Busch Gardens in a little over an hour. Granted I drive kind of fast and we really didn't hit any traffic.
Sea World is great if you want to see shows. And do a LOT of walking to try to get from one show to the other in time. I think they schedule them so that you have to come back another time if you want to see all of them.
I haven't been to BG in a long time, but it was a neat park. Definitely more of a theme park.

JRocker
06-11-2007, 12:40 PM
I will try to keep my rant to a minimum here.....
Every trip to Orlando we have gone to both Busch Gardens and Sea World (we get in for free). My last trip to Busch Gardens Tampa was my LAST trip to Busch Gardens Tampa.
As someone has mentioned, the employee attitude combined with the way guests treat each other has taken an amazing theme park and turned it into a less than enjoyable experience.
The employees, for the most part, do not care about the park, or the guests.
Don't waste the hour drive (or 4 for some;)) it takes to get there.

WhenYouWishUponAStar
06-11-2007, 03:29 PM
SeaWorld has lots of amazing shows and only a few rides. There are more opportunities to interact with the animals e.g feeding the dolphins at Dolphin Cove.
Busch Gardens has a lot more thrill rides and although there are lots of animals, you can't actually touch any of them (I don't think).
I love both so it's more of a personal decision, either way I think you'll have a great day!