PDA

View Full Version : Smokers

flying carpet
04-23-2007, 10:51 AM
Does this get anyone else angry? Last year we were sitting outside space ship earth and there was a whole pack of smokers walking by. a Big no no. Then were at magic kingdom the next day and we get off Snow White and there is a guy sitting there smoking a cigar. I went to the nearest cm. PLEASE smoke in the designated area!

DisneyDudet
04-23-2007, 11:01 AM
This is one of the most controversial topics here on Intercot, behind refillable mugs. I have seen many a smoking in the parks topic get shut down, hopefully it doesn't.

I have no problem with people smoking, unless it begins to affect my health, when I unintentionally get around it. When i go to a club, yeah, I hate it, but I expect it (I don't go club hopping anymore.. getting a little too old at the ripe age of 23).

When I go to Disney, I expect everyone to follow all the rules, not just smokers, but families, children, VIPs, etc. I feel that if anyone wants to endanger their health, that they no do it when it will endanger others' health. Please, follow the rules of the park.

This is a poster from the Body Worlds exhibit:
"Care if I smoke?
Mind if I die?"

SandmanGStefani24
04-23-2007, 11:23 AM
As a former smoker, I am not bothered by the smoke itself, but more by the fact that people don't seem to be concerned at all that they may be bothering others. I was very aware of others and would only smoke where I was 100% sure it would not bother anyone. Hopefully people get the word and are a little more thoughtful. If not, maybe a Jedi Mind Trick will help. (You don't need to smoke here...This isn't the smoking area you're looking for...You can go about your business...Move along.) :trooper:

DizNee143
04-23-2007, 11:35 AM
i just recently quit smoking!! going on 3 months now...

...some people might not know about the smoking areas....if it bothers you that much, that people are smoking out of place..go tell them...if not..move on with your vacation and dont worry about them...just worry about yourself having a good time...:mickey:

SurferStitch
04-23-2007, 12:19 PM
In the numerous trips we've made to WDW, I am yet to have a problem with any smokers. I've never noticed smokers in non-smoking areas, but then again, I'm not on the lookout for them either.

I am very sensitive to cig smoke, and just a few whiffs will clog me up terribly.....and I still haven't had a single problem at WDW. Guess the smokers follow the rules when I'm there. :mickey:

Smoking is an addiction to them, just like those who can't go without caffeine (like me). There are plenty of things we voluntarily and involuntarily consume every day that aren't healthy (artificial sweeteners, colors, preservatives, exhaust, atmospheric contaminants), so let's not start attacking the smokers. We're all friends here. If the only time you run into cig smoke is at WDW (and only a couple times while there), then that extremely limited exposure may cause an acute reaction, but no chronic health effects. Heck, I come into contact with worse chemicals when I get my nails done (dibutyl phthalate (DBP), formaldehyde, toluene, acetone), and I keep going back every other week for more!

Also, keep in mind that many of the offending smokers may be foreigners, and they won't necessarily know the rules or even know to look for smoking areas. It's not an excuse, but a possible reason for the rule breakers.

DNS
04-23-2007, 12:40 PM
Smoking is an addiction to them, just like those who can't go without caffeine (like me). There are plenty of things we voluntarily and involuntarily consume every day that aren't healthy (artificial sweeteners, colors, preservatives, exhaust, atmospheric contaminants), so let's not start attacking the smokers. We're all friends here. If the only time you run into cig smoke is at WDW (and only a couple times while there), then that extremely limited exposure may cause an acute reaction, but no chronic health effects. Heck, I come into contact with worse chemicals when I get my nails done (dibutyl phthalate (DBP), formaldehyde, toluene, acetone), and I keep going back every other week for more!

Very well put.:thumbsup:

Carol
04-23-2007, 12:49 PM
MODERATOR ALERT!!

This is a general warning/reminder to everyone .....

As per the Terms of Service governing these boards we do not allow derogatory comments about people -- period!

If you cannot reply without personally slamming someone -- then by all means do not reply. Disrespect is not welcome here.

mjaclyn
04-23-2007, 01:05 PM
I haven't personally had any real problems with smokers outside the designated areas at WDW. If I see someone outside the area I usually go out of my way to avoid them because cigarette smoke really bothers me. IMO, as long as smokers use the designated areas I'm not going to bother or lecture them about it. I'm sure in this day and age everyone knows what cigarette smoke does to a person, so if someone has that knowledge and still decides to smoke - that's up to them.

However, if I were standing in line for a ride or somewhere with my new DD and there was a person smoking outside of the designated area, I would definitely say something to them. My health and the health of my family is very important to me and I wouldn't have a problem politely asking the person to please put the cigarette out.

wjrhw
04-23-2007, 01:31 PM
WDW was one of the reasons that I quit smoking a couple of years ago. I felt like a criminal smoking anywhere in WDW whether it was allowed or not. Even at the hotels, it felt like I had to find a place to hide in order to smoke. I enjoy my visits much more now. Last trip we went with a smoker and it was so annoying to hear them complaining and searching constantly for a smoking section.

And by the way, I was not smoking because I weighed the pros and cons and decided that I would smoke. I was smoking because I was very addicted and couldn’t stop. I started at the age of 15 with the thoughts that I could stop any time I wanted. It took me 15 years of attempts to finally quit, so I have more compassion for these smokers than some.

They should just outlaw smoking.;)

SandmanGStefani24
04-23-2007, 01:37 PM
WDW was one of the reasons that I quit smoking a couple of years ago. I felt like a criminal smoking anywhere in WDW whether it was allowed or not. Even at the hotels, it felt like I had to find a place to hide in order to smoke. I enjoy my visits much more now. Last trip we went with a smoker and it was so annoying to hear them complaining and searching constantly for a smoking section.

I agree!! I felt like I was doing something wrong when I lit up in WDW. I have been a non-smoker for about 2 years now, and last trip I was VERY glad I didn't smoke. The heat and humidity made it rough, and we were huffing and puffing as it was. Smoking would have probably made us pass out!:D
Congrats to all the new non-smokers! There's nothing wrong with smoking, but there's nothing wrong with being health conscious either!

Granny Jill A
04-23-2007, 01:39 PM
Part of the tension between smokers vs. non-smokers is the lack of respect for the rules.

I've run into clouds of smoke from folks walking through all the parks. Saying something to them does not work, so I try to move away as quickly as possible.

Disney needs to enforce their own rules about smoking in designated areas.

JohnnyJayhawk
04-23-2007, 01:41 PM
Heck, I come into contact with worse chemicals when I get my nails done (dibutyl phthalate (DBP), formaldehyde, toluene, acetone), and I keep going back every other week for more!

Actually, there are trace amounts of toluene in cigarettes.

The only problem I have is when people smoke outside of the designated areas. Usually I just walk up to the person and politely tell them/remind them about the rule. The only person that has never reacted appropriately was a guy who apparently didn't speak english (or spanish cause we have that covered too).

Bruegge
04-23-2007, 01:51 PM

And by the way, I was not smoking because I weighed the pros and cons and decided that I would smoke. I was smoking because I was very addicted and couldn’t stop. I started at the age of 15 with the thoughts that I could stop any time I wanted. It took me 15 years of attempts to finally quit, so I have more compassion for these smokers than some.

They should just outlaw smoking.;)

Look at local laws now.. Finally It is criminal...at least inside most places.

I quit 20 years ago and when I did I swore I wouln't be one of those "Used to smoke ..now a smoker Hater" type of person

But watching Dmother die from small cell carcinoma of the lung (yes, She was a lifetime smoker) We embarked on a real fun one year thrill ride let me tell you...(strong sarcasm intended)

I am firmly on the no smoking bandwagon. With all the help smokers now have (yes, i went cold turkey) patches, gum. support groups and now drugs to deter addiction etc.. it's easier now than ever to quit.

I wish to this day I would have taped my Mother's slow decline... shooting film maybe a week at a time over that year. I'd make my kids sit down and watch it the first time i ever smelled cigarette smoke on either one of them..

Scott

Disney Doll
04-23-2007, 02:03 PM
On our last trip we were sitting along the curb on main street just before SpectroMagic started. Of course it was packed with people sitting and standing shoulder to shoulder. The lady next to me decided to light up and I wasted no time telling her to put it out. I was amazed by her inconsiderate attitude. My husband is a former smoker and he never smoked in group settings. He had the common sense to find a remote area away from everyone else. This seems like the obvious thing to do and it shouldn't matter if you were aware of the designated smoking areas or not. Just use your head!

mjaclyn
04-23-2007, 02:03 PM
There's nothing wrong with smoking...

Seriously? I'm honestly not trying to start a debate, but when I read this I wondered how nothing could be wrong with smoking when it's been proven to be addictive and deadly.

Heck, I come into contact with worse chemicals when I get my nails done (dibutyl phthalate (DBP), formaldehyde, toluene, acetone), and I keep going back every other week for more! While it's true that these chemicals aren't good for you I don't think it's been proven yet that getting a manicure will cause cancer (or any other deadly disease). And trust me, if it IS proven in the future I'll gladly do my own nails! :D

mttafire
04-23-2007, 02:11 PM
Well, The bottom line is this. In or "rumour" to be 09-10 Disney WILL be non smoking on ALL Disney property. We can only hope so! Than we can no longer have to worry about where one canor cant smoke. It just wont be allowed period.

castlelady36
04-23-2007, 02:20 PM
This topic always goes round and round but the simple fact is some people will do what they want when they want regardless of the rules and could care less what others think. Notice how I said SOME. I have seen very courteous smokers and not so courteous. The smoking issue IMO is no different than trying to steal parade spots, cutting in line, and any other general rudeness that happens every day in WDW. The less we pay attention to these individuals and not worry about it the better vacation we have.

CM~Mserrano
04-23-2007, 02:50 PM
As a former CM and a going from not smoking to picking up the (horribly bad) habit while working there I kind of see all sides. going there with friends pre smoking and working there before picking up a cigarette, I could fully appreciate the smoking sections, knew where they were so I could point guests in the right deirection (luckily, thre are 2 smoking sections, on to the right and one to the left of mission:space) and so I could stear clear of them myself as a guest. I did notice many times that guests would come up to me to ask a question about the ride while lit up. I would politely answer their question and then point them in the right direction of the smoking area sothe other families would be clear of the smoke. Usually it was just being uneducated about the policy disney has on smoking or where they were allowed to go.

Now that I do smoke, I understand where these people are coming from and that i am lucky to know of all the designated areas so I don't waste me vacations or weekends looking for a smoking section. My best tip would be to do some research before you make your trip, both for the smokers and the non smokers. Smokers can almost plan their day to be able to find a close area when they think they'll need to light up, and non smokers can even make sure they don't go around that area to stay away from the smoke, especially since the smoking areas are nomally in out of the way nooks that don't get much traffic on a day to day basis.

Being educated about the parks is just the best thing you can do in any circumstance.

Ian
04-23-2007, 03:07 PM
I'm an ex-smoker. I quit cold turkey 6 years ago and never looked back. It was the best decision I ever made and I don't miss that filthy habit one bit.

The main difference between smoking cigarettes and things like getting your nails done or drinking diet soda is this ... the chemicals in diet coke and nail polish hurt one person ... the person using them. Whereas if I'm standing next to someone smoking, they're hurting not only themselves but all the people around them.

I make a huge distinction between personal choice issues like not wearing your seat belt (hurts only you), not wearing a motorcycle helmet (hurts only you), or eating McDonald's every day (hurts only you) and smoking (which hurts other innocent people around you who did not choose to inhale your secondhand smoke).

That being said, I agree that the onus falls squarely on Disney's shoulders to enforce their own rules. If I see someone smoking outside a designated area, I will report them to a CM if there's one handy. I've seen a mixed bag of results. Anything from the CM marching right over and asking the guest to extinguish their cigarette to a dismissive "I'll take care of it thank you." and all the way to a hostile, "What do you want me to do about it?"

The funny thing is, I'm really against governmental intrustions into personal choice issues, but this is one area where I applaud the localities who have banned smoking in public places. To me, cigarettes have been proven to be just as dangerous as other illegal drugs. I think they should be banned completely as they are, in many cases, worse than other substances that already are banned.

battle beast
04-23-2007, 03:18 PM
Well, The bottom line is this. In or "rumour" to be 09-10 Disney WILL be non smoking on ALL Disney property. .

Woot!!! :joy: :joy: :joy:

bleukarma
04-23-2007, 03:40 PM
One time we took my niece to Disney a few weeks after we found out she has major respiratory issues. We were waiting in line for Dumbo and the person in front of us lit up. We couldn’t believe that he would do that under such confined conditions and around so many children. I do think that was before the smoking rules they have now, with the designated areas. But designated area’s or not, I think there is a time and place to smoke and the situation we were in really wasn’t the right place.

With that being said I took a friend of mine that is a smoker to Sea World a few weeks ago. She doesn’t go to parks like I (we) do. She had never been to Sea World and the last time she was at Disney she was three. She had no clue about designated smoking areas and when I saw her grab for a cigarette the first time I pointed out that we had to find a designated smoking area. There was no question as to why and it caused no inconvenience during the day. If she wanted a smoke then we searched for a place, usually with the smokers map we got at our first area. I don’t know if Disney has that or not but if not then they are actually helpful! Honestly, it was nice to sit and rest for a few minutes while she had her cigarette. My point of the story is: some of these people may not know about the designated smoking areas. If the smoke bothers you then politely mention the smoking areas. If it doesn’t, move on with your vacation.

To all the people that have recently quit smoking: CONGRATS!!! I smoked for a brief amount of time and then I watched an aunt go through lung cancer. Your body is so much healthier now that you’ve quit!

DizNee143
04-23-2007, 04:13 PM
Well, The bottom line is this. In or "rumour" to be 09-10 Disney WILL be non smoking on ALL Disney property. We can only hope so! Than we can no longer have to worry about where one canor cant smoke. It just wont be allowed period.
if disney is to do something that stupid..they will probably lose alot of business...and if not..i sure hope they do...cuz that would just be wrong...

SurferStitch
04-23-2007, 04:16 PM
To me, cigarettes have been proven to be just as dangerous as other illegal drugs. I think they should be banned completely as they are, in many cases, worse than other substances that already are banned.

Just as dangerous to the smoker, not the people around them.

Not to argue, but I'd rather have a person driving toward me who just smoked a cigarette than who just did crack, or took a hit of acid, or smoked a joint...but that's just me.

Back to the OP...no....smokers at WDW do not make me angry.

Smoking should never be banned completely. Banning smoking at WDW will not make most smokers quit....they'll just break the rules more or stop going to WDW. You'll probably find smoking occurring in more areas because people will try to sneak a smoke somewhere since there is no place to smoke. It's much smarter to just keep designated areas.

And as for manicures (more so artificial nails or overlays), the place I go to won't do them for anyone who is knowingly pregnant. If you are pregnant, and they are made aware of it (obviously it's hard to tell when someone isn't showing if they don't tell), they WILL NOT do artificial nails or overlays on you. Needless to say, when the day comes that I'm pregnant, the trips to the salon stop immediately.

Bear Lee
04-23-2007, 04:40 PM
I'm an ex-smoker and I dont like the smell of smoke. It makes me gag. More than likely this is because my mind has come to the realization that the smoke is poison.

People smoking outdoors (be it a designated smoking area ot not) doesn't usually bother me. As long as they aren't smoking indoors.

I really have much better things to do while on vacation than worry about the smokers.

If the smokers are smoking in an area they shouldn't be, it wont be long before a nice CM comes over and shows them where the smoking section is.

DisneyDudet
04-23-2007, 04:43 PM
If only they could make the rules a little more out there so all will know. The only problem here is the fact that some don't follow the rules. Thats it. This shouldn't be a smoker bash. You can state your own opinion, but don't attack them.

By the way, any smokers who want to quit and have had a hard time quiting, many people at my place of work are using Chantix. Is a pill (can be expensive, but see if your place of business will cover it, esp if they are a non smoking business like my hospital will be in June) that you take for a week, smoking as you usually do, and stop. Those who have tried it say it works.

SignguyTom
04-23-2007, 04:52 PM
A few years ago by the Viking ship at the Norway Pavillion, I saw lady back into a smoker (out of place, of course) accidently. Though the actual accident was not his fault, the cig burned a big hole in her dress. She didn't notice at the time, and I'm not sure he did either. I saw the burn hole a little while later and knew where it came from. Of course the point is that the cig never should have been lit in that area in the first place. Yet another reason to follow the rules...

laward32
04-23-2007, 06:39 PM
When we were there in Dec there were tons of people smoking in undesignated places and it drove me crazy. Yes, it's their right to smoke, but it is also my right and my children's right to not have to smell smoke. My dad is (sorry was as of 2 months ago, yeah!) a heavy smoker, but he would go and find the designated areas while in the parks. I just wish people would respect other people, especially the children and smoke where they are supposed to. They're lucky there are even smoking areas now a days. The restaurants around our house and most of the clubs are non smoking now. Sorry just my opinion.:mickey:

angedeaile
04-23-2007, 07:04 PM
...Usually it was just being uneducated about the policy disney has on smoking or where they were allowed to go. ...

Being educated about the parks is just the best thing you can do in any circumstance.

I agree completely! I think alot of folks forget that! A good chunk of those smokers you run into that aren't in designated smoking spots just don't know.

Even though it is a unhealthy habit and some of us are affected greatly by second hand smoke, keep in mind that some folks aren't well informed. Not every person who goes through those turnstiles know Disney's rules and park layout by memory.

Way I see it, if you can't overlook it by moving away from them...just let them know about a "great" spot made just for them to smoke in.

I heard some of these places are pretty scenic. I wouldn't know...

Deesdisney
04-23-2007, 07:47 PM
Yes this does upset me. I am a smoker and it is my choice. No one elses. Therefore I do not smoke around kids and I do hide in the parking lots sometimes. I do not smoke in my car, house or rest. I even go outside in the snow and rain. (sometimes I dont when it is to cold) I will not even smoke in the smoking area when the kids from other families are in there. Yes I am on my way to quiting. I even told someone that they need to find the smoking area.

Pipalotta
04-23-2007, 09:41 PM
During my first 2 trips to Disney I was a smoker and so were the people in my group. We always smoked in the smoking sections and found that there were tucked away far from the regular path that people walked as not to affect any non smokers. We never smoked in our room and always make sure we were far enough from the buildings, we mostly did it in the parking lots. But I can tell you I feel very uncomfortable smoking in Disney, it was almost like I was trying to hide something from your parents. This time I am happy to say that I am going with my non smoking family and I my self have been smoke free for over a year!!:thumbsup:

lilmattie13
04-23-2007, 10:26 PM
I have read all the postings in this thread and what amazes me most is the fact that while it is the CHOICE or the RIGHT for a person to smoke, the person who is inhaling the smoke has no choice or rights.

If your in line you then have to move and lose your spot or put up with something that can be damaging to your health. Probably not either choice you would like, but hey too bad.

I really think it is the CM's job to enforce the non smoking policy out of the designated areas.

I think Disneyland is already non smoking or at least the hotels are. We stayed there in Nov of 06 and we couldnt believe that they would have the non smoking policy while Disneyworld doesnt.

In a place where it is all about magic, especially for our children, why would you risk a person's health?

In Massachusetts it is illegal to smoke in any workplace and while yes it is a bit of an inconvenience to smokers, it makes it healthier for workers and patrons of stores etc.

I can choose to have my nails done, inhaling poisonous chemicals, or ingest whatever bad things I choose to put into my body, but when it comes to cigarette smoke, it is unhealthy, harmful and when people smoke without regards for others it does put a damper on the MAGIC of the moment. :mad:

I will be in DW with my family in Sept, and can only hope we dont run into anyone who is unable to hold off lighting up until they can find a designated area.

Mickey91
04-24-2007, 09:55 AM
It makes me very angry to see people in the park smoking.:mad: I also have to say that even the designated areas ruin the atmosphere. All the beautiful, out of the way places, "secret passages" etc. are now smoking areas. I would really like to see a total nonsmoking rule at WDW. But, that being said, since smokers now have a lot of the beautiful spaces to smoke, the least they could do is use them.

I also think it is very appropriate and necessary for a CM to tell anyone they see smoking throughout the park to find a designated area. My son actually has a scar from a cigarette where a person was carelessly walking to a line(at another park in VA)and hit into him with his cigarette. The person didn't even say he was sorry. As crowded as WDW gets, this could be a real hazard not only for our lungs but also for our arms,legs etc.

Mickey91
04-24-2007, 10:01 AM
Just as dangerous to the smoker, not the people around them.

Not to argue, but I'd rather have a person driving toward me who just smoked a cigarette than who just did crack, or took a hit of acid, or smoked a joint...but that's just me.

Back to the OP...no....smokers at WDW do not make me angry.

Smoking should never be banned completely. Banning smoking at WDW will not make most smokers quit....they'll just break the rules more or stop going to WDW. You'll probably find smoking occurring in more areas because people will try to sneak a smoke somewhere since there is no place to smoke. It's much smarter to just keep designated areas.

And as for manicures (more so artificial nails or overlays), the place I go to won't do them for anyone who is knowingly pregnant. If you are pregnant, and they are made aware of it (obviously it's hard to tell when someone isn't showing if they don't tell), they WILL NOT do artificial nails or overlays on you. Needless to say, when the day comes that I'm pregnant, the trips to the salon stop immediately.
Well taht depends. While smoking doesn't alter your state of mind, it does preoccupy it. I have seen people trying to light up and run a traffic light. Also, if you are anywhere near the person smoking, you are being forced to smoke too. Second hand smoke has been proven to be very dangerous to those forced to inhale it. And yes, we are forced to inhale second hand smoke. It is not something we willingly choose.

mac badger
04-24-2007, 10:49 AM
i see a lot of posts saying that people just dont know about the smoking rules in disney. but i believe all the parking trams and the monorail have a spiel about WDW being non smoking except in designated areas. i relize that once youve been to disney 10+ times you dont listen, but if its your first trip i bet you do. :mickey:

WDW_Obsessed
04-24-2007, 11:07 AM
While I absolutley DESPISE smoking and know first hand how terrible it is for you (both of my grandparents passed from Emphysyma), I realize that at this point in time it is not illegal. I would love nothing more than to see smoking anyplace besides inside your own home with the windows closed illegal, but it's still an individual's right to smoke at WDW. My complaint is the same as many non-smokers here...not smoking on only designated places. The smell really makes me nauseaus, but it's possible to avoid it by avoidinng designated smoking areas (if there's no rule breakers out and about puffing away!) Lots of people break the rules at disney...not just smokers.

But I would like to say to all of those members who have talked about quitting in this thread... :congrats: I know it's tough, but as a nurse I can tell you you've made a great decision for your health and life :mickey:

Ian
04-24-2007, 11:18 AM
In a place where it is all about magic, especially for our children, why would you risk a person's health?I know ... I totally agree.

Does anyone besides me find it ironic that Disney is updating all their menus (both for adults and children) to include more healthy food choices, yet they refuse to ban smoking in their parks.

If I eat a big, greasy cheeseburger it doesn't hurt anyone besides me. They'll ban that, but they won't ban something that hurts not only the person who does it but all the people around them, too??

To me that completely calls into question Disney's motivation for changing their menus. If they really cared more about the health of their guests than they did about profits, they wouldn't let people smoke in their parks.

CleveSJM
04-24-2007, 11:25 AM
First, congratulations to all the ex-smokers out there for quitting. It's not easy and it shows a lot of character to do the right thing for yourself and the people around you.

Eventually Disney will ban smoking on property. It most likely will not be their decision. The state will force it. All the CM's that have to work around or in the smoking areas have a valid legal concern if they get sick from second hand smoke. I can see smoking being limited to your personal car in the parking lot.

But, I don't think smoking will ever be banned at Disneyland Paris. I was there last Saturday and they are allowed to smoke everywhere. It was terrible. In every queue (like that? I didn't say line...), someone or group was smoking around all the kids... Not good...:( :ack:

TiggerRPh
04-24-2007, 12:12 PM
i just recently quit smoking!! going on 3 months now...

...some people might not know about the smoking areas....if it bothers you that much, that people are smoking out of place..go tell them...if not..move on with your vacation and dont worry about them...just worry about yourself having a good time...:mickey:

First of all...congratulations on being smoke free for 3 months. Good luck on keeping it up.

I'm not going to challenge anyone on it personally. If it's a problem, I'll get a CM...they get paid to handle the problem. I've seen enough people get challenged or told by other people and seen some ugly scenes. I'm not going to ruin my vacation over that.

Even the smoking locations are problem...often they are in places I have to go through anyway to get from one place to another or outside of a bathroom.

SurferStitch
04-24-2007, 12:12 PM
Well taht depends. While smoking doesn't alter your state of mind, it does preoccupy it. I have seen people trying to light up and run a traffic light.

Yeah, they also run them talking on their cell phones, or yelling at their kids in the back seat, or picking something up that they dropped, or putting on their makeup, etc (I've seen it all). I was talking about the altered state of mind...not preoccupation.

Also, if you are anywhere near the person smoking, you are being forced to smoke too. Second hand smoke has been proven to be very dangerous to those forced to inhale it. And yes, we are forced to inhale second hand smoke. It is not something we willingly choose.

Yeah, I inhaled second hand smoke for 32 years until my mom quit 2 years ago (and she still misses it dearly to this day...never got over it). Even so, I have better than 100% lung capacity and am perfectly healthy, but then again I simply walked away if the smoke got to me, just like everyone else can (I mean really, let's be serious). You CAN walk away from a smoker. They are not every 5 feet at WDW or anywhere else. They are not lighting up inside rides or attractions, or even restaurants. They are all outside, so just walk away from them and let them have what little freedom they have left. The designated smoking areas are out of the way and large enough that if you aren't hanging out right at the border of it, you really are okay. I don't know why non-smokers would hang right next to a smoking area anyway if they hate them so much.

I'm more concerned about breathing the exhaust/CO fumes that still get into my car for at least 2 hours a day during my commutes than getting a couple minute's exposure to cig smoke a couple times per year at WDW. Then there's the pesticides on the veggies I buy, the hormones in the meat and milk I buy, the potential e-coli in my spinach, the mercury in my tuna, the ocean contaminants in my wild caught fish and shellfish.....Unfortunately I have to eat SOMETHING, so those aren't really voluntary things.

Really, put it into perspective.

I'm done here....this thread will either die or be killed soon anyway. It's going nowhere, and I'm the first to acknowledge I'm not helping. I just felt I had to shed a little common sense here.

TinyDancer
04-24-2007, 12:32 PM
I can see both sides to the argument/s. While I respect someone's right to choose whether or not they want to smoke, I do not accept that I should be forced to inhale it as well. And if there are designated smoking areas, I don't think that I should have to move to get away from my unsmoking area. I know a lot of smokers, my last boyfriend was a chimney. I hated it, but I respected it. He could smoke in his car and outside, if I wanted to be with him I would be and just put up with it. However, he was not allowed to smoke in my house or my car because they were "non-smoking" areas. He had to deal with that. I think that's fair. And perhaps people at Disney aren't aware of the rules, that's an honest mistake. Everyone deserves one or two of those. I don't appreciate people smoking where they aren't supposed to be, but I try to just think to myself that they weren't aware. I actually don't even tell anyone about it. If it was at a parade or in a line I might, but since I'm just walking past, I'll get over it. Maybe they just forgot, goodness knows I forget enough stuff!

However, not particularly because of Disney, but I would really like to see it become law to be non-smoking in any place that lots of people congregate. Also inside, but that is becoming more and more frequent. I do not think that Disney (I mention it becuase this is a Disney board, lol) will lose much, if any, revenue from banning smoking and they may in fact increase profits! People may come to the park who never did before because of the smoking (for whatever reason). You never know, it is possible. Plus, think about the corporations who might look kindly upon Disney for doing it and give them more money!!!

But when it really comes down to it, having a smoking section, whether in a restaurant or in a park, is a bit like having a peeing section in a pool, don't you think? :thumbsup:

MarkC
04-24-2007, 12:59 PM
Ha ha-- loved that last comment. Regardless of what you think, I think it is rude to subject others to smoke. If I eat unhealthy or have an addiction to caffeine, food, etc., that affects only me and my family. If I smoke, that affects (and bothers) everyone around me. I really don't think Disney would lose any money by banning smoking. That same concern was presented by bars and restaurants, but several states have banned smoking in all public places with no adverse affect (there may be some individual places that suffered but not as a whole). I grew up in a smoking household but hope I never smell another cigarette.

Ian
04-24-2007, 01:10 PM
The notion that I should have to spend my vacation dodging inconsiderate people who blow poison at me is absurd.

Why should the people without the socially inconsiderate habit be the ones inconvenienced?

LizLovesDiz
04-24-2007, 01:10 PM
We will be in WDW next week and my DH smokes cigars,yuk !!! He wouldn't smoke in the undesignated areas but I can't remember how to find the areas he is supposed to be,are there alot? I usually go with my DD.

SurferStitch
04-24-2007, 01:18 PM
The notion that I should have to spend my vacation dodging inconsiderate people who blow poison at me is absurd.

Why should the people without the socially inconsiderate habit be the ones inconvenienced?

Okay, I had to come back....

How many people do you really HAVE to dodge during a trip at WDW??? Really, how many? I can't honestly think of one time I've had to dodge someone who was smoking. Do they jump out at you from the bushes? Are they like little landmines in the walkways? I'm just curious.

Can't say I've ever had someone blow smoke (sorry, poison) in my face. I'm yet to see someone that rude.

It's not a socially inconsiderate habit to smoke. It's only considered inconsiderate to smoke (and, gasp...in a designated area no less) to the PC crowd out there.

I wonder if Walt himself would have been considered socially inconsiderate....:secret:

(and yes, I know he died from lung cancer....please let it go)

Lauraubie
04-24-2007, 01:20 PM

Very Well Put! I 100% Agree!

Last year when we were in Disney I told people that would light up right next to me (parade route) that I was highly alergic and asked them to stop. Every time I asked, they did. I think they knew they were in the "wrong" to begin with.

2Epcot
04-24-2007, 01:55 PM
I make a huge distinction between personal choice issues like not wearing your seat belt (hurts only you), not wearing a motorcycle helmet (hurts only you), or eating McDonald's every day (hurts only you) and smoking (which hurts other innocent people around you who did not choose to inhale your secondhand smoke).

My feelings are the same ... When I don't smoke, but have to inhale what someone else is doing, then the choice is being made for me.

If your in line you then have to move and lose your spot or put up with something that can be damaging to your health. Probably not either choice you would like.

I really think it is the CM's job to enforce the non smoking policy out of the designated areas.

I have not had this happen at Disney World, but here in CA when I was attending a show. Waiting in line, someone came outside from the building we were entering and stood right next to the line and started smoking. I told that person to move to another spot. I had no choice but to stand in that line, and I wasn't about to have to breathe smoke while I was there.

Many cities in CA are banning cigarette smoking in all public places ... beaches, even on sidewalks. Soon the only place people can smoke will be inside their own homes, which I agree with. I would like to see Disney do the same, but until then, CMs should be enforcing the rules.

If someone wants to say they have the right to smoke, they can, and they do have that right, but until they can keep the smoke in a little box around their own bodies, they loose those rights, because now they are in the space of me, and other non-smokers.

Olivia's Daddy
04-24-2007, 02:01 PM
I could never understand the smoking area right behind Cinderella Castle. Why would they allow that at the major WDW icon?

Smoking in general I find intolerable, but if there are designated smoking areas, it is my responsibility to avoid those areas. However, if a smoker is smoking outside of one of those areas, I consider it to be an invasion of my personal space.

dntccc
04-24-2007, 02:21 PM
if disney is to do something that stupid..they will probably lose alot of business...and if not..i sure hope they do...cuz that would just be wrong...

There would be absolutely nothing wrong with Disney completely banning smoking, and hopefully, Disney would gain a lot more business if they did this. As far as losing business, as someone else pointed out, while some that smoke my decide not to come to WDW because of this, others that have not been coming due to smoking being allowed (even if it is in designated areas) may come because of a complete ban.

gueli
04-24-2007, 02:27 PM
Hi all,
there seems to be one common thread here- There are people who are considerate and those who choose not to be considerate.
People who do not know the rules ahould be educated, even those guests from abroad who do not speak english or spanish (spanglish ?)...I belive that someones earlier comments about CM's having reactions ranging from Smoking Police to 'whadoicare/whadoyouwandmetodoaboudit' bear the same common thread- (considerate or not). CM's are people too-they have good days and bad ones, good reactions and bad (same can be said for police).
The I dont care about anyone else type of attitude, weather by CM or guest, is what bugs me. Most smokers are considerate, some could be having niccotene (sorry about my spelling) fits, as they are addicts...like someone else said addicts like me (Caffine).
I believe it is best for people who encounter rude smokers should speak up, but make sure it is done as politly as you would want to be spoken to by someone else. Same goes for CMs. We are all people, who are luckey enough to get to share the same world...hopefully at Walt's world.
:mickey:

dntccc
04-24-2007, 02:31 PM
The smoking issue IMO is no different than trying to steal parade spots, cutting in line, and any other general rudeness that happens every day in WDW.
Except a difference here is that someone cutting in line or stealing a parade spot will not cause potential health problems for my family or me, while people smoking in non-designated areas if in close proximity of my family and me will (especially when one of my family members is not yet a year old).

Ian
04-24-2007, 02:41 PM
It's not a socially inconsiderate habit to smoke. It's only considered inconsiderate to smoke (and, gasp...in a designated area no less) to the PC crowd out there.

I wonder if Walt himself would have been considered socially inconsiderate....:secret:Well Walt died about 40 years ago, long before the true dangers of smoking were known, so I think he can get a pass since something like 65% of all adult Americans smoked in 1967 as compared to about 18% today. As we've evolved, we've gotten a lot smarter ...

As far as it only being a concern to the PC crowd, I fail to see how this has anything to do with political correctness. Trust me, I am the least PC person on the planet and it's certainly a concern to me.

I would venture to say the vast majority of Americans would consider smoking a socially inconsiderate habit. How many people, places, business, restaurants, etc. do you know who welcome smokers with open arms these days? Heck even casinos are banning smoking.

Look, I normally am firmly on the side of personal choice in this debate but that's just the point with smoking ... One person's rights end where another's begin (the old legal principle of "can't yell fire in a crowded building") and smoking in a public place most definitely infringes on my and my family's right to breathe air that isn't polluted by cigarette smoke.

SandmanGStefani24
04-24-2007, 02:47 PM
i think we're getting way :offtopic: here!
the post was about smoking in non-smoking areas and now we're talking about wether or not it's socially acceptable to smoke? i vote we close this post since people can sometimes confuse opinions with feelings. i am an ex smoker, but even when I smoked I wouldn't get offended if someone said they disliked it.

let's get back to fun topics!:chewy:

allie_to_you
04-24-2007, 02:55 PM
I think that with this topic, as well as many others that have to do with the rules or ethics...it all boils down to common courtesy and respect for others. If you don't have either of these, then you are going to break the rules and do what you want to do regardless of what other people think.

mttafire
04-24-2007, 03:05 PM
:mickey:

100% correct. This is why i have good reason to believe "rumour only" that in 09-10 Disney WILL be smoke free. Be patient folks the day is coming!!:mickey:

Carol
04-24-2007, 03:16 PM
MODERATOR ALERT!

OK Folks - Lets move on. I'm sure there is a discussion board out there to debate the risks/non risks of smoking. This is not it.

If you want to banter back and forth - please use the private messaging feature of the boards. That's why they are there.

If this thread continues off topic it will be closed.

bleukarma
04-24-2007, 03:28 PM
For the people that say they've never had to dodge smokers at WDW...it may not have happened to YOU but I think there are tons of stories on this board of people that it has happened to.

Here in FL smoking is banned in any public place. There are no more smoking and non smoking sections in restaurants…it’s all non-smoking. You can smoke in a bar, only if they do not serve food. My ex-boyfriend works for the Tampa Airport Marriott where they just finished making the entire hotel non-smoking. If you want a smoking room then you have to pay an extra $250 and you cannot smoke within 25 feet of the hotel.

I can see Disney doing something like the Marriott did but I don’t know about banning it from the entire place. I am a non-smoker and I don’t see anything wrong with people smoking in designated areas. It’s the people that smoke outside of designated areas that bother me. Personally, I would be against banning smoking entirely…even as a non-smoker. I think if the smokers want to smoke, let them. I just don’t want to be subjected to it if I don’t want to. When I took my smoking friend to Sea World a couple of weeks ago I CHOSE to sit with her, just like I could’ve chose to walk away. If I don’t want to be around the smokers then I don’t have to wander into the designated smoking areas. Since these areas aren’t located inside a major attraction, it doesn’t bother me. If I have to walk through a designated smoking area then I think I can hold my breath for the 10 seconds it takes me to walk through it. I too think it’s absurd to be inconvenienced on my vacation by the smokers, but I don’t see anything I’ve mentioned above as an inconvenience. It’s when I’m forced to be subjected to them in line for an attraction or sitting on a parade route that really bothers me.

Scar
04-24-2007, 03:56 PM
I think Disney would probably lose some revenue if they banned smoking on the entire property, and therefore, I doubt they would do that. However, I do think banning it in the parks is a good idea. If a smoker needed a fix, they could simply exit the park, walk off to the side, probably to a designated spot, have their smoke, and reenter.

kakn7294
04-24-2007, 04:17 PM
Congrats to those who have quit - good luck to those who are trying to quit - and to those who have no intention of quitting, as long as we all follow the rules, have fun enjoying WDW as you continue to smoke. I think sometimes a person smoking in the wrong spot IS a matter of not knowing or understanding (language barrier) the rules - many times if they are kindly pointed in the right direction, they will even thank you. Sometimes it is such a habit that some people don't even think about what they are doing - they just reach for the cigarette and light up - kindly pointing them in the right direction usually gets postitive results as well. Some people blatently break the rules and these are the people who cause problems for the rest - and it's usually a small percentage of the smokers who do this. I don't think banning smoking completety will solve any problems - in fact, I think it will cause more problems as some people who can't be without that nicotine fix will just sneak off and smoke, making it more prevalent in the air around us since it will no longer be limited to the designated smoking areas. I also think Disney will lose a great deal of revenue from smokers who would no longer come to WDW because they couldn't smoke. Many smokers NEED to smoke and can't go a week without it. You wouldn't force a diabetic to go a week without insulin or a special needs child to go a week without his medications. BTW, I'm a nonsmoker (always have been) and absolutely hate smoking but I also feel that as long as smoking is legal, smokers have some rights too.

dntccc
04-24-2007, 05:07 PM
Many smokers NEED to smoke and can't go a week without it. You wouldn't force a diabetic to go a week without insulin or a special needs child to go a week without his medications.

My comment on this may get cited as being off-topic, but I felt that this comparison is very inappropriate. Someone "needing" to smoke in no way compares with someone that needs some kind of medication because of some kind of medical problem. The only people that "need" to smoke would be those that are addicted to nicotine. It is not right to call this a "need"; it is an addiction. I do not know of any situation where a person can be addicted to nicotine via smoking where quitting smoking would cause the person to die from nicotine withdrawal. By this I mean as a direct result from the withdrawal and not from an indirect result, such as being so jittery or nervous that the person has some kind of an accident that results in his death.

Goes4FastPass
04-24-2007, 05:31 PM
WDW has established smoking areas. They are clearly indicated on park maps.

On a trip last year we carried our Dole Whips (uh! :cloud9: alert!!) into a secluded area near the stand. We found out why it was so 'private' when some other park guests arrived and lit cigarettes. My wife started to get annoyed and I then noticed the Designated Smoking Area sign. We certainly shouldn't have been surprised or alarmed for people to be smoking there.

I appreciate WDW establishing DesSmoAreas and I hope they enforce them. I also understand CMs often have limited enformement options when guests don't follow rules - like where you are not supposed to smoke.

Cheerie04
04-24-2007, 06:03 PM
Okay, I had to come back....

How many people do you really HAVE to dodge during a trip at WDW??? Really, how many? I can't honestly think of one time I've had to dodge someone who was smoking. Do they jump out at you from the bushes? Are they like little landmines in the walkways? I'm just curious.

Can't say I've ever had someone blow smoke (sorry, poison) in my face. I'm yet to see someone that rude.

I wonder if Walt himself would have been considered socially inconsiderate....:secret:

(and yes, I know he died from lung cancer....please let it go)

I for one have had to dodge smoke in the park. I am an asthmatic and I wound up having SEVERE problems with my asthma due to a smoker in the park. Yes, I have my inhalers but should I have to suffer because others choose to smoke??

mouseaddict
04-24-2007, 06:23 PM
Ok, I may become public enemy number one here..but after reading through these posts I feel like I have to point this out.
1) the heading for theme parks is this:
The Magic Kingdom, Epcot, Disney Studios and Disney's Animal Kingdom. Have a question on when to go, how to attack the parks or what's a ride like... find it here
Call me crazy but this topic does not seem to belong up here..maybe in Mousellaneous or hey..why don't you go down to the water cooler and read about our fellow intercotee that just lost their cousin in Iraq yesterday.
I feel for everyone that has had to dodge smokers..but 2 minutes exposure is not going to give you lung cancer. I would prefer that people smoke in designated areas..but I can forgive someone that forgets...
I guess my point is that there are much more important and horrible things going on in the world. I for one choose to go to Disney to forget about them and be happy. I am not going to let things like cigarette smoke, commando stroller drivers, "fat" people (me being one of them..), Gay days or any other issue ruin my escape from reality!
Ok...now feel free to tear me to shreds!

Ian
04-24-2007, 06:28 PM
Actually, Michelle, I think you brought some much needed sanity to this post.

I'm not going to rip you ... instead I'll give you a round of applause for dragging us all back on track!

:clappy:

Mickey91
04-24-2007, 08:10 PM
Yeah, they also run them talking on their cell phones, or yelling at their kids in the back seat, or picking something up that they dropped, or putting on their makeup, etc (I've seen it all). I was talking about the altered state of mind...not preoccupation.

Yeah, I inhaled second hand smoke for 32 years until my mom quit 2 years ago (and she still misses it dearly to this day...never got over it). Even so, I have better than 100% lung capacity and am perfectly healthy, but then again I simply walked away if the smoke got to me, just like everyone else can (I mean really, let's be serious). You CAN walk away from a smoker. They are not every 5 feet at WDW or anywhere else. They are not lighting up inside rides or attractions, or even restaurants. They are all outside, so just walk away from them and let them have what little freedom they have left. The designated smoking areas are out of the way and large enough that if you aren't hanging out right at the border of it, you really are okay. I don't know why non-smokers would hang right next to a smoking area anyway if they hate them so much.

I'm more concerned about breathing the exhaust/CO fumes that still get into my car for at least 2 hours a day during my commutes than getting a couple minute's exposure to cig smoke a couple times per year at WDW. Then there's the pesticides on the veggies I buy, the hormones in the meat and milk I buy, the potential e-coli in my spinach, the mercury in my tuna, the ocean contaminants in my wild caught fish and shellfish.....Unfortunately I have to eat SOMETHING, so those aren't really voluntary things.

Really, put it into perspective.

I'm done here....this thread will either die or be killed soon anyway. It's going nowhere, and I'm the first to acknowledge I'm not helping. I just felt I had to shed a little common sense here.

Talk about perspective, I am well aware that people run red lights and have traffic accidents everyday doing stupid things and sometimes not so stupid things. My point was, that if a car is going to crash into you and kill you, what does it matter whether they are smoking a cigarette or using an illegal substance.

I am very glad you survived 32 years of breathing in cancerous chemicals growing up. I shouldn't have to do it while on vacation.

Also, quite a few of the smoking sections are near or at the restrooms, along quiet pathways that would otherwise be quite enjoyable, or very close to the regular walkway to any area of a park.

I understand that a lot of people who smoke started when they were younger and are now unable to quit. It is not my intention to personally insult someone who chooses to smoke. But, please do not expect me to paste a smile on my face and breathe the obnoxious fumes and be happy about it. For now there are areas for smoking. As long as smokers stay in those areas while smoking I will respect that. Is it too much to ask that they in turn respect me and not smoke outside of those areas?

Here we go again...
04-24-2007, 08:54 PM
why don't you go down to the water cooler and read about our fellow intercotee that just lost their cousin in Iraq yesterday.

I am not going to let things like cigarette smoke, commando stroller drivers, "fat" people (me being one of them..), Gay days or any other issue ruin my escape from reality!
Ok...now feel free to tear me to shreds!

Michelle,
Thank you for this post.
I hope everyone stops posting on this thread and heads over to the water cooler... There is a member of our Intercot family that could use some prayers right about now.

By the way, I am one of those offensive "fat" people too. ;)