PDA

View Full Version : Am I the only one who remembers...

PeterPan
04-23-2007, 12:12 AM
The TRACK in "Journey into Your Imagination" is essentially the same as it was when the ride was built in 1982. (although shortened).

Am I the only one who remembers the original "FIGMENT" ride SO WELL, that I can STILL tell you what you are supposed to be looking at at every turn of the track? I mean, you are looking at Imagination Instititute stuff, but do YOU remember what was exactly HERE on the old ride? I DO!

The same goes for Pooh in the MK - it is hard to ride it without thinking "Oh, this is where the Judge was" or "this is that room where you saw the cars from the other side of the ride."

Anyone else???

Main Street Jim
04-23-2007, 02:20 PM
You do know that the *current* JIYI is only about 1/3 of the original JII track length, right? And that the *tune* is still the same, but the words were completely redone. The very end is about the only part of the song that's the same.

magicman
04-23-2007, 03:26 PM
You do know that the *current* JIYI is only about 1/3 of the original JII track length, right? And that the *tune* is still the same, but the words were completely redone. The very end is about the only part of the song that's the same.

Do you or anyone else know what the reasons were for the changes? I'm so glad they still have Figment, but I do miss the old version.

PeterPan
04-23-2007, 03:52 PM
One word: Popularity. The numbers of people riding had fallen - period.

Now, fans of the old Figment ride can yell and scream all they want (and I agree with them) that the old ride was much, much better. BUT when people are not riding, Disney is going to try to do something about it.

Version No. 2 was a total disaster.

Version No. 3 is an improvement over Version No. 2, but neither of them holds a candle to Version No. 1.

Mickey91
04-24-2007, 10:16 AM
I only got to ride the original JIYI twice so I don't remember it that well. I do remember that it was much better than the current one. I totally miss Dreamfinder. I hated the second version. Rode it once and would not ride it again.

I remember some about Mr Toad. Again, it was removed before we started going every year. I do miss it though. I remember that there were two tracks, the train tunnel, and the room with a fireplace?? Ashame it had to go.

Polynesian Dweller
04-24-2007, 01:19 PM
Like others we remember version 1 and it was vastly superior to version 2 and don't think that version 3 is that much of an improvement over 3.

Amazing for a Journey in to imagination that the ride is so unimaginative. Its the one pavillion that could have been extremely original and, well, imaginative. Why so ordinary an boring?

mickey98
04-24-2007, 01:39 PM
Bring back the original version,, yes I do remember the original with figment....

:mickey:

maizey05
04-24-2007, 03:43 PM
My favorite scene from version 1 was the one with Figment and Dreamfinder in that flying contraption. As a kid, my brother and I would always be singing that song all day, after going on that ride. The new ride is way boring and unimaginative.

Cheerie04
04-24-2007, 06:10 PM
I loved the old journey into imagination. I'm so sad that they changed it. I found a podcast that acutally has an audio ride-through for the entire ride. Its called the meandering mouse podcast. It brings back memories :cloud9:

Figgyluv03
04-25-2007, 12:22 PM
I remembert parts of JIYI from the old one. I miss that version and I think they need to bring it back. I also miss walking through the tunnel of rainbow lights!

JPL
04-25-2007, 08:24 PM
Do you or anyone else know what the reasons were for the changes? I'm so glad they still have Figment, but I do miss the old version.

The main reason for the change was the sponsor, Kodak wanted a new experience for guests. When they changed the movie to HISTA they wanted to tie the ride and movie into one theme. The Imagination Institute was born minus Figment & Dreamfinder. The ride was changed to Journey into your Imagination. It was a disaster not because the ride itself wasn't well done but what they had failed to realize was the popularity of Figment. Which led to the let's stick Figment back in 3rd version.

CM~Mserrano
04-25-2007, 08:57 PM
As a CM at Epcot, I was privleged enough to go upstairs to where that fun stuff all used to be back when the original ride was still there. Although it's all dark and dusty up there, almost everything is still there.

I believe they could bring that stuff back into working order but not sure why they haven't. I remember spending hours up there as a kid having a good old time!

Vanlandingham
04-25-2007, 11:02 PM
I was lucky enough to ride the original version of the ride a whole bunch of times and I do miss it. As for version three...its alriiiight, but nothing special.

For some reason I can't remember version two at all. It's like I wiped it from my memory.

mcjaco
04-26-2007, 12:33 PM
^ I was thinking the same thing. I don't even remember the second version. I think I rode it once, and decided I wouldn't ride it ever again.

I've read that they had people meet in the Imagination Works for the Kim Possible thing they were doing in the fall. Everyone said the same thing. Everything is still there covered in tarps or dust.

Disney_Barbie
04-26-2007, 12:52 PM
For some reason I can't remember version two at all.

I was thinking the same thing. The only thing I can think of was that we did have few visits in my late teen years. Can anyone verify about what years the versions were? I'm assuming the second was in the late ninties???

robhink
04-26-2007, 01:16 PM
Ride Version Dates

Version 1 - March 1983 to October 1998
Version 2 - October 1999 to October 2001
Version 3 - June 2002 on

CaptSmee
04-26-2007, 09:18 PM
I never rode the 2 earlier versions of Imagiation. I do like Figment, and the ride is a nice short diversion from the rest of the park with the only memorable thing being the song at the end of the ride. I remember enjoying Mr. Toad immensley as a child and returning to WDW 18 years later and riding it and thinking to myself "what the heck did I enjoy about this as a kid?!?" I thought it was run down looking, and cheesy and the next year it was closed making room for the Pooh ride which is a nice improvement in my eyes.