PDA

View Full Version : Shades of Green

skisurf2
04-22-2007, 11:13 PM
Anyone been lately. Going next month, first time since renovations. Several family members are coming. Any advice?

BronxTigger
04-23-2007, 02:51 AM
I have some photos (http://travel.webshots.com/album/558501382rQIlcj)from when I went in August 2006. It was my first time there so I can't compare it to the pre-renovation time.

Melanie
04-23-2007, 03:08 AM
I have some photos (http://travel.webshots.com/album/558501382rQIlcj)from when I went in August 2006. It was my first time there so I can't compare it to the pre-renovation time.

Looks like you stayed in one of the original rooms. I like those!

We visited in '99 and again in '05 after the renovation. Wow, what an upgrade! I did like the room layout better in the original wing though.

Here (http://travel.webshots.com/album/371669664HtEBBe) are some pics of the resort and our room (in the new wing).

Crow
04-23-2007, 10:38 AM
i stayed once after the renovation, and ive eaten at the buffet on 2 trips. the room is a good size. i think its a good deal
tip- eat at the buffet for dinner. $12 or so, 1 of the best deals at WDW
also you can walk to the Poly and catch the monorail or walk thru the Poly area to T&T center to catch monorail or boat. i did that a few times.
the buses dont run as often as at the disney resorts and they dont let you off as close at the parks.

mudpuppysmom
04-23-2007, 01:48 PM
We're going next month too!!!

The links to the pictures are a good representation. I was going to look for mine, but Melanie and BronxTigger have very good representations. Bronx's pics ARE indeed from the older section, but the rooms are just as nice as the newer ones.

IF you want to be closer to the pools you might ask for the old section.
IF you want to be closer to the bus stop you might want the older section.
IF you want to be close to the parking garage you will want the newer wing.
IF you want to try to see Wishes you might want the newer section, but there are also room in the older section (but if you ask me right outside the lobby is the place to be (at the front of the lobby, not the rear).
There is now a Starbucks coffee cart outside the AAFES store (at least that is where it was in December!)
If you don't already have tickets, you can get them there (no tax, but I don't know if there is a discount or not, I don't think so, just no tax on the tickets -- military ID is necessary though)
The AAFES store is a good place to get some souvies!!
If there is a large group I'd suggest that you eat dinner at the Garden Gallery one evening and also try out Manginos. The GG is a buffet and you guys can just all eat til you're all full. Breakfast is a WONDERFUL value if you ask me....It was $7.99 for adults and $4.99 for kids I believe (could be wrong on the kids price). I am not really a breakfast person, but when we were on the meal plan there (Fun & Sun pkg -- no add'l $$, just a special they run), it included breakfast each morning, so I took advantage of it and boy was it a big help!! Still the price is a great reason to go......b-fast at a disney resort can easily cost the same!

Use the Shady Shuttle to take you to the edge of the property then walk over to the Poly to catch the monorail or boat to MK or Epcot -- or their bus to MGM, DTD or AK! I think the Disney busses are a bit more frequent. Also, the Shady Shuttle runs until I believe 6 pm daily, so you could use it on the way back too. I know there is a group of you, but if you have older peeps with you, let them shuttle and the rest can walk it -- from the front door to the road is about a 5 min walk.

Also, if you guys are thinking of any dinners together -- the Poly has O'hana and it's family style and right across the road!! After dinner, if you plan it right, you can walk out the Poly beach and watch the EWP and/or Wishes!!

Here's hoping for a wonderful trip for all of you!!

JohnnyJayhawk
04-23-2007, 02:26 PM
We've only stayed in the new rooms, and they're great. Everyone I've heard from who has stayed in both new and old has had good things to say about both.

I'll echo the above, it is a great resort. Huge rooms compared to other Disney properties, very friendly staff, and very reasonably-priced dining options (we like the breakfast buffet a lot).

I've heard some complaints about the bus schedule, but we always drove our rental or took the monorail from Poly.

skisurf2
04-24-2007, 04:56 PM
Thank you everyone.