PDA

View Full Version : Why no toddlers in DCL pools?

TexasPrincessAurora
04-22-2007, 06:18 PM
Ok...I get that they have no toddlers in swim diapers or non potty trained kids in any of the pools due to health regulations...but why do they have these regulations on DCL when at WDW kids in swim diapers are welcome in any pool on property? Why on a cruise ship where a large portion of the families are going to have young children is the only thing they provide for them as far as swimming a tiny little circle with water spraying? What in the world are the kids that young supposed to do on at sea days when they can't even play in the water?

TammiMcMan
04-22-2007, 10:46 PM
The CDC changed the health code on cruises after the Norovirus epidemics. I believe Disney went ahead and re-designed one of Mickey's ears with running water, so that non-potty trained children could continue to enjoy the water. They're also one of the only cruise lines that even offers 4 swimming pools (1 for cast/crew).

As the parent of 3 children, now mostly grown, I have clear memories of them not needing much more than a cup and running water to have a good time. Trust me, on sea days, there isn't much "swimming" going on in the family pools. It's just too crowded to do anything more than get wet. I'd say the little ones in the ears are having a much better time.

ElenitaB
04-22-2007, 10:47 PM
On the Wonder, the toddler area is much more than a bunch of spray fountains (http://benellen.smugmug.com/photos/112066936-L.jpg).

As far as I understand, the rules on ships are more stringent than at land-based resorts, due to the close quarters and easy transmission of viruses (particularly the dreaded Norovirus). The water in the pools is of smaller volume than those at the resorts and therefore more "concentrated." No swim diaper is hermetically-sealed and you can well understand the risk involved. And even with these precautions, do not be surprised if you see the toddler pool close due to what are euphemistically called "floaters" on the Magic. :eek: On the Wonder, they just have to rinse the area out; on the Magic, they have to drain the pool. Another good thing about the toddler area on the Wonder, is that it's in more of a shadow than the rest of the younger set's swim area.