PDA

View Full Version : Coral Reef, Garden Grill or San Angel Inn

momof3+twins
04-21-2007, 10:32 PM
We have reservations for Garden Grill and San Angel right now. But, we are seriously thinking about Coral Reef. We visited the Finn Inn in Illinois today with the kids ( aquariums with fish next to the tables) and they loved it. It makes for a quiet meal. What do you recommend? We only have time for 2 table service in Epcot. What do you think the kids will like? Also, I really don't like fish. So, how is the other things at the Coral Reef? Is there a good view of the aquarium from every seat?
Thanks!:mickey:

ElenitaB
04-21-2007, 11:13 PM
We were seated on the top tier at Coral Reef. While we would have appreciated being closer, we did have a decent view of the aquarium and my DS (11) really loved it there. And the food is pretty good as well! :thumbsup: (I'm dreaming about that lobster bisque.)

I wouldn't change your ADR at Garden Grill though... it's one of our favorites and a must-do on every trip!

SBETigg
04-21-2007, 11:50 PM
Our dinner at the Coral Reef took a very long time, and we did not have a great view. I don't recommend it as a place for dinner with young children due to the timing issues. If they're really into the aquarium scene, perhaps try lunch.

San Angel Inn is the standout favorite restaurant for my kids in all of WDW since they were young. They just love it there. We have to go every trip, usually for lunch.

walstib
04-22-2007, 07:42 AM
Keep the ADR for Garden Grill - your little ones will love the characters and the scenery.

I've never been a fan of Coral Reef - always thought it was priced a little high for the amount and the quality of what you get. It is neat to be able to watch the fish.

San Angel has always been a favorite, but I have seen a wide array of reviews. The view here is nice also, with the boats slowly passing the volcano, but try to get close to the river.

How old are the little ones ? Maybe let them pick which restaurant to let them feel even more involved !

Enjoy !

grego77
04-22-2007, 08:02 AM
I have been to Coral Reef and Garden Grill. With children, I would DEFINITELY keep Garden Grill...I think it's the best character meal in Disney. Plus the food is great IMHO.

Coral Reef I love. But, I find it to be more of a romantic place (aka seeing the fish tank from all those TGIF shows like Full House, Family Matters etc...) and its a bit more fancy and the food is a little more adult.

I don't know about San Angel, but when I used to go to Rio Del Tiempo (RIP), it was ALWAYS packed...but with few kids.

Keep Garden Grill and enjoy!!!:mickey:

momof3+twins
04-22-2007, 03:08 PM
I am so glad that I asked. You have given some great advice. All 5 kids are 9 and under. So, we will skip the Coral Reef. They really love fish. We have too many as pets. So, I thought they would like it. But, we like fast service. Plus, I don't want to ruin anyone's romantic meal. Thanks again!!:thumbsup:

crazypoohbear
04-22-2007, 09:28 PM
One thing to consider before ruling out Coral Reef is if you can schedule your dining when there will be divers in the aquarium the kids would love it. I have to agree the food was good, not great. As to the service, if you tell your server right from the start that you are on a tight schedule ( that schedule being you need to get the kids out before the crash:secret: )

TinyDancer
04-23-2007, 10:55 AM
I've eaten at all three and I really like them all. However, some points to think about at San Angel. We live in a community with many, many hispanics and thus eat "real" mexican food fairly often. So we thought San Angel would be fabuous. I found everything I ate to be incredibly spicy (which I don't care for). Also, it is EXTREMELY crowded and loud if I remember correctly. We could barely get to our table and the waiters were doing some fancy dancing to get around. Don't get me wrong, it was a lot of fun, but I just wanted to give you some more information to make your decision, lol!

Nicki'sMom
04-26-2007, 11:01 PM
I took my 2 and a half year old to Garden Grill last Sept. and she got a ton of attention from the characters and we really liked it. Just think, you can take them over to see the Living Seas after dinner to let them see the fish. Have Fun!

pogo
04-26-2007, 11:24 PM
We just returned from WDW and we ate at the Garden Grill for the first time.:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Keep the Garden Grill at all cost. The food is great and your children will love playing with Mickey, Pluto, Chip and Dale. :D

Rayadragon
04-27-2007, 01:05 PM
I have to throw in my support to Garden Grill. Lots of character interaction, good food. We unfortunatly we in the upper tier so we missed having a good view of Living with the Land. I'm sure you could just request at the time to be seated on the lower level. Have fun!

imaprincess!
04-28-2007, 11:44 AM
I did not care for Coral Reef. Obviously, the fish tank was fun to look at, but the rest of our experience was not good. The food was okay, but pricey, the service was slow and we got seated up top even though we had ADR's and it was not busy. We had children ages 8, 6 and almost 2 at the time and they were dying to get out of the restaurant and back to the parks.:twocents:

MonoMan
04-28-2007, 07:34 PM
If you want a Character meal, you should keep the Garden Grill.
We love the atmosphere at San Angel Inn and eat either lunch or dinner there on every WDW trip.
We've never been disappointed with the food or the view at the Coral Reef. I do think their business has increased since the dining plan was introduced but they have adequate staff and the service is great. My only recommendation is that if you do eat there please remind your children to be considerate of the other guests that are dining and remind them that they shouldn't run around the tables to smash their faces up against the aquarium glass.

GrmGrninGost
04-28-2007, 09:59 PM
I'm a big fan of CR! I love watching the fish swim around while eating. Great food too!
I also like GG, especially the characters!

MsMin
04-28-2007, 11:07 PM
I've never eaten at GG but would recommend the characters for the kids.
I've been disappointed in San Angel, my food was stiff and dry like it had been under a heat lamp for a week. The atmosphere was lovely but I had better food at the cantina.
We've gone to the CR the past 2 Dec.s and loved it both times, had great service. I got the steak and so did half of us b/c I'm not a huge seafood fan or at least I'm a very picky one. We've sat at both extremes on the tank (which we requested when we checked in for our ADR (tables seat 2 - 4) and last Dec. we sat on the highest tier (party of 7) but still had a great time.

droopy d.
04-29-2007, 05:42 PM
The Garden Grill is great and so is the Coral Reef. The Coral Reef is a little expensive but if you have DDP its well worth it. Make sure to arrive before your ADR and request a table by the aquarium.