PDA

View Full Version : Another Ebay theme park fast pass auction

Dicecatt262
04-20-2007, 02:34 PM
I was searching for lanyards, somehow this auction came up for 12 re-entry passes, 6 for MK, 6 for MGM. Right now the bidding is at $175. I figured out that is over $87 for my family of 6 to ride Peter Pan and Star Tours. Even if it is just one person, $14 per ride?! The seller is selling 2 pencils, with a bonus gift of 12 single re-entry passes, each good for one person. He says they expire in June, but Disney will take them after that. That he got them when rides broke down.

I am trying to feel sorry for the buyers, and I do...but I mostly feel incredulity that someone would do such little research and just pour out cash for something they don't even get...unless you are rich and have more money than you know what to do with, why???

dolphinmickey9170
04-20-2007, 02:55 PM
I don't get it.....aren't FP free? I just saw the same thing and it ended for 190.00. Why would someone pay that kind of money just to get in a FP line? Did I miss something?

Dicecatt262
04-20-2007, 03:04 PM
Yes, they are free! You aren't missing anything, but the buyers are. Or maybe they just have a lot of extra cash around. These passes are given out when a ride breaks down, they are re-entry passes. They are only good for ONE person at ONE ride each pass.

So...not only would I spend over $300 getting into MK for a single day for my family of 6, but also $90 more to ride a single ride?

You must have seen the same one I saw. I just don't get it...how people can be that dumb, I can only assume it is ignorance. They think they are getting something very valuable, when in fact they could walk up to a fast pass machine and get the same thing for free.

Dicecatt262
04-20-2007, 03:05 PM
Auction is over, $227.50. So if I would have gotten into the bargaining, my family could have ridden Peter Pan with little or small wait for $113.75! Quite a bargain.

bleukarma
04-20-2007, 03:58 PM
Seeing this makes me cringe! I just want to take the people aside that are bidding and say “no…you don’t have to pay for that! Wait till you get to the park…it’s free!” That extra $200 could go to so much other stuff on a WDW vacation! Imagine how they are going to feel when they get to the park and see the fast pass machines. How awful! I would hope that this is the person’s first trip to WDW and what a way to make yourself feel bad on a vacation…realizing that you paid an extra $200 for something that you didn’t need!

CubsWest
04-20-2007, 04:12 PM
This auction will be won by someone that the seller knows and there will be either no transaction completed or no complaint about it. The seller then solicits the other bidders outside of ebay and tells them he has more passes to sell. He says he wants to avoid paying ebay usage fees and will sell them for less than what they originally bid. When they agree to buy, send money to the seller and receive NOTHING for their money, there is no recourse! Be very careful about dealing outside of the watchful eyes of ebay!

DizneyRox
04-20-2007, 04:27 PM
Not that I condone this, depending on when you go, having something like this is very attractive. When the wait times for Peter Pan is approaching 2 1/2 hours, and Soarin' is at 3 hours with no more fast passes available. These re-entry passes DO have some value.

Besides the obvious benefit of re-entry, you also have the ability to get another fast pass for something else, etc.

Spending that much is just crazy, but for some I can see a real benefit. Let's hope that Disney doesn't start doing this in an attempt to increase profits.

Dicecatt262
04-20-2007, 04:28 PM
CubsWest has some very good advice. But MANY people are winning these things...there isn't just one seller. And there are many buyers. I just checked completed auctions and came up with a bunch. I'm sure at least some of them send the passes. The thing that bothers me is these people buying them truly think they are getting some great benefit, when all they'd have to do it walk up to a fast pass machine...

Dicecatt262
04-20-2007, 04:31 PM
Not that I condone this, depending on when you go, having something like this is very attractive. When the wait times for Peter Pan is approaching 2 1/2 hours, and Soarin' is at 3 hours with no more fast passes available. These re-entry passes DO have some value.

Besides the obvious benefit of re-entry, you also have the ability to get another fast pass for something else, etc.

Spending that much is just crazy, but for some I can see a real benefit. Let's hope that Disney doesn't start doing this in an attempt to increase profits.

Good point...I still can't see doing that though when all it would take is getting to the park at opening to make sure you ride the rides you most want to. Maybe for a single person, or a couple...but a family like mine? Outrageous for one ride, it seems madness. That kind of money buys you another whole day into the park.

GiltterDisneyGirl
04-21-2007, 02:08 AM
Haha that is pretty funny! Fast passes for over $100, man do i feel sorry for those people. I was given 2 fastpasses on my last trip but i'm giving them to friends going next month. :cool:

dolphinmickey9170
04-21-2007, 08:10 PM
This is crazy, one suggestion....take the DVC tour. Each person in our group got a plastic card to use on three fastpasses per person. What a treat that was.

battle beast
04-21-2007, 11:54 PM
That's rediculus. I wouldn't pay that at any time... if you get your park apss, why buy a fast pass???

That's silly!

BMan62
04-22-2007, 07:22 AM
I like to stir things up with these auctions by sending all the bidders the following note:

"A silly question for you: Why would you buy something that is given out in the park for free?

Must be nice to have money to waste!!"

I have gotten some irate responses back too!!!!:blush:

DizneyRox
04-22-2007, 10:53 AM
Just to clear things up, these are NOT fast passes. While they function much the same way that fast passes do, you cannot get these with a park pass.

They are given out as a guest courtesy for multiple reasons. A fastpass is good on one day with about an hour return window. These have no such restrictions.

Again, I'm not a fan of selling these, however there does seem to be a market for them. They are much more flexible than a fastpass, and obviously are worth a lot more than a fastpass. At least to some people.

LudwigVonDrake
04-22-2007, 11:20 AM
Save your cash...

Pop Centurion
04-22-2007, 04:04 PM
I feel sorry for people who fall for these scams. I know some people may say it's their own stupidity but many people have never been to Disney and have no clue how things work there.

PeterPan
04-22-2007, 11:56 PM
It is simply outrageous that this is going on. It is true that these are NOT truly "FastPasses." These are clearly "Re-entry Passes." However, even so - they are FREE, never ever sold, and given out because of certain situations (rides breaking down, etc.)

Furthermore, I am NOT pointing fingers, but these Re-entry passes are not very easy for Guests to get. I am thinking (hold your breath) that Cast Members are auctioning these things off - or giving them to friends to auction for them. In order for you to get as many as 12, well, I just cannot think of a situation that would warrant Disney giving out 12 passes (unless, of course, your family or group had that many in it and a ride broke down with all of you on it.) HOWEVER, some Cast Members (those in Operations) have almost unlimited access to these Re-Entry passes. Once Disney gets wind of this (and you can bet they have) some kind of measures will come into play to severly limit the distribution of these passes to CM's.

What a shame! What an UNETHICAL, CHEATING shame this is - both for the sellers and the buyers. Yes, they can be wonderful things to have in your possession, and make a day at WDW easy and breezy - but at what price? And I am not necessarily talking about money here...

Again, what a crying shame.

Kristi Kay
04-23-2007, 01:17 AM
are you kidding me? this is crazy! i guess people should check into things before they bid on e-bay, but my goodness...this is crazy!