PDA

View Full Version : Offered a Position in Theatre as General Manager

ldn324
04-20-2007, 06:42 AM
You know that expression when it rains, it pours? Well, I have a case of that right now.

I work 2 jobs year round and an additional job in the summer. The summer job is as assistant box office manager for a summer stock live theatre. Our season starts in early June and last week, the general manager quit to take another job. I offered to step in and help take over some of his responsibilities in an interim capacity until they can find something else. Now, I have been with this theatre since the late 90s and my DH's family has been with them (MIL is box office manager) since the late 70s, so we have a long history with not only the owner, but the patrons, lots of the actors and staff.

Last night, I was offered the position of general manager. I would LOVE to have the job, although I don't have a ton of expertise in theatre (on the management end). I have a FT job elsewhere and it is my steady income and where we get our benefits. The GM position would be seasonal - April/May through September and would have no benefits. So going there FT is not an option.

The owner really likes me and my work and I'd like to work something out with him as possibly a 1/2 of the GM position. For instance, I would be on-site all evenings and weekends and someone else would be on weekdays when I'm not able to be there. I'm wondering on situations I could propose to the owner that he might go for. Any suggestions? Also, any of you out there work in live theatre that could let me know what might be expected, especially time wise? I know it will make for a busy summer for me, but it's just a few months and would really be a great way to earn some extra money, not to mention be doing something I would really love to do.

UGGHH, decisions, decisions! Please let me know what you guys think. How do I approach this and have everyone involved (myself included) happy?

2Epcot
04-21-2007, 01:25 AM
Last night, I was offered the position of general manager. I would LOVE to have the job, although I don't have a ton of expertise in theatre (on the management end). I have a FT job elsewhere and it is my steady income and where we get our benefits. The GM position would be seasonal - April/May through September and would have no benefits. So going there FT is not an option.

Not really sure what options you might give to the owner. That is a tough decision. My brother has something similar. He actually does very well from his home business, making more then he does as management at his job, but that is where his benefits come from. So for now he will continue working there. Hopefuly someone will have some suggestions ... Good Luck.