PDA

View Full Version : getting along with co-workers question

Tiggerlovr9000
04-20-2007, 03:48 AM
I am a bartender and the bar opens at 3:00p.m. We just had someone quit which leaves 3 of us. The other two have day jobs and cannot make in until 5 or a little after. So on my days off I have been going in to open and then sometimes go back in at 10 to 11 to close up at 1:00a.m. because they have to work in the morning. This really messes up my days off. So after most of the crowd is gone and they have made most of the tips I get to stock and clean everything up..Problem is when they get off work they don't go home, they stay in the bar and drink until almost closing. This really irritates me. Why can't they just tell the truth that they want to stay and party..No I don't have 2 jobs but I did have 3 last summer. I do have 3 children so to me that is another full-time job. Do you think I am being unreasonable?? On my days off the last place I want to be is where I work.. Would never dream of going in there if I asked for the day off..

Katzateer
04-20-2007, 06:35 AM
If they are staying anyway, I would just tell your boss you can no longer come back to close.

The problem with starting to do "favors" or work hours that don't work for you, once you start it is hard to convince your co-workers you can no longer work those hours.

I work 2 1/2 hours every morning to open (7am -9:30) and then go home. I have been asked to work longer, change my hours, etc. but I won't do it. Once you change your routine, they will ask all the time and get upset when you don't work the extra hours. (I also have another part-time job and just took this one to get some additional hours.)

I listen to my co-workers complain about working hours they do not want to work but they keep doing it anyway. If they would just be firm but polite they wouldn't have to put in the extra time. Plus it helps if you have a good excuse and I would say 3 kids and needing rest for your other jobs would be the perfect reason to not come back for the late hours!

Good luck!

prttynpnk
04-20-2007, 06:52 AM
In my experience, once you bend to make something work, the boss will see this as a viable solution and not make finding a long-term solution of hiring more help a priority. If you must help out, if you truly feel compelled to do it, make sure you only do it some of the time, so the need for addtl staff is never completely out of the picture.

January-2007
04-20-2007, 08:33 AM
That's just wrong. It would be one thing if they actually went home to get sleep for their "other jobs" but they are up and there so you shouldn't have to close on your days off. You have another job too, it's called being a parent. If they can't see that, it's up to you to make it clear. They are taking advantage of you and it's not fair. Helping out now and again is one thing, but if they aren't even attempting to fill the position that has been left open, then something has got to make them. Become unavailable on your days off.

I strongly dislike my job. I work limited hours because if I worked more I would end up quiting. The only reason I work where I do is because I can make the same amount working 2 long days that I made working a full week at other jobs. I don't bend. They ask me to do them favors all the time, come in on a day off, stay late, cover for somebody else. I just refuse. They have my availability, and I stick to that, because if I didn't, I wouldn't be able to say no, they would coerse me into it somehow because "you could last week, why can't you this week?" and so on and so forth.

You're not doing anything wrong by thinking that you deserve some days off without going into work, even if it isn't a full shift. I don't even want to be near my work on days off, it just ruins the "I'm off you're not" feel.

I hope you can get this resolved, because you don't deserve to be treated this way. The other two workers who "have other jobs" need to realize that this is their "job" too, and you're not there to just make their lives easier. Good Luck! :pixie: