PDA

View Full Version : Disney's Tarzan Production Swings into Europe

Figment!
04-19-2007, 09:26 PM
Disney's Tarzan Opens in Holland April 15

By Andrew Gans
Playbill
4/17/2007

The first European production of the new Disney musical Tarzan officially opens in Holland at the Circustheatre near Amsterdam April 15.

Heading the cast of the Dutch-language production is 27-year-old Ron Link from Nijmegen in the title role with 27-year-old Chantal Janzen from Tegelen as Jane.
In a statement Disney Theatricals president and producer Thomas Schumacher said, "We are excited to see our first international production of Tarzan up on the stage in Holland. Our extraordinary partnership with Stage Entertainment has given Bob Crowley and I an opportunity in less than a year after opening on Broadway to revisit our show and create this new production for Joop van den Ende and his gifted team." The production is a collaboration between Disney Theatricals and Stage Entertainment.

Sergio Trujillo, who was nominated for a Drama Desk Award for his choreography for Jersey Boys, also worked on the European debut of Disney's Tarzan. In a statement released by Trujillo's personal press rep, he recently stated, "I am truly honored to be working with Disney. Tarzan is a wonderfully inventive show and I look forward to moving the characters and story in new and different ways."

Tarzan continues to play Broadway's Richard Rodgers Theatre. The musical features a score by Phil Collins. Tony Award winner David Henry Hwang wrote the musical's book based on both the Disney film and the original Edgar Rice Burroughs story "Tarzan of the Apes." Directed by Bob Crowley, the Broadway creative team also includes Meryl Tankard (choreography), Pichón Baldinu (aerial design), Natasha Katz (lighting design), John Shivers (sound design), Paul Bogaev (music producer/vocal arrangements) and Doug Besterman (orchestrations).