PDA

View Full Version : Yucky coffee at WDW...why?

chip2
04-19-2007, 07:03 PM
I keep reading about the tasteless coffee at Disney World. While it wouldn't keep me from going, as a newbie I'm scared! Do the Deluxe resorts have decent coffee? What is up with that anyway. There has been a coffee Rennaissance in this country...can't WDW keep up?

mickey-mouse35
04-19-2007, 07:06 PM
Coffee at Spoodles, Kona and Port Orleans are all good. Haven't had it or don't remember elsewhere.

mecarroll
04-19-2007, 07:07 PM
I love coffee and will drink just about anything. But the coffee at out resort (CSR) December 2006 was not good at all.

GenieOfPA
04-19-2007, 07:21 PM
the coffee from narcooses in the GF is very good as well... they serve it to you in a french press so its very flavorful :)

SBETigg
04-19-2007, 07:31 PM
You can find decent coffee, it just takes some effort. I loved staying at the Polynesian because I would go to Kona Cafe and get a great big cup every morning, and then it didn't matter that it was so bad almost everywhere else. A lot of people recommend bringing your own for use in the pots in the room.

JPL
04-19-2007, 08:34 PM
One Word why it's bad

Nescafe:sick:

add that sludge to the bad Florida water and you have :ack:

dtootsie42
04-19-2007, 08:56 PM
Kona has great coffee!

Willowwind
04-19-2007, 09:10 PM
Nestle' has been a Disney sponsor since forever, hence we get Nescafe'.

:mcoffee: Disney is "waking up" s-l-o-w-l-y. You can get a Kona blend at the Poly and a Kenyan at AKL. There are also a couple of espresso carts in the parks if you look hard enough for them. The coffee packages that are in rooms aren't the worst, but they're not by any means specialty coffee. I haven't tried the Kona at the Poly yet, but I'm looking forward to. "Kona" can be pretty tricky and it only has to contain 10% Kona beans to be labled such. In addition if the roast is off or the season was bad, you can still get a bad cup of coffee from the Islands. Be warned, the prices for decent coffee at Disney are even higher than at Starbucks, for my drink it's twice the price.

I'm a Coffee Master by trade and *my* Disney Dream is that they fix their joe. Somehow I don't think that's one of the million that will be granted this year.

If you are really concerned I recommend bringing along your own beans. I grind enough to get me through the trip, seal it into bags and bring it along with me for the hotel pot. I always know that I'll at least have a decent cup in the morning. You can also buy some cute 12oz presses these days that are light and portable if you like the taste of a pressed pot.

ElenitaB
04-19-2007, 10:26 PM
One Word why it's bad

There's a joke in Spanish about Nescafe... we say "No es café" or "It's not coffee."

As coffee is an essential food group for me, I always bring my own to brew in our room, though I did enjoy playing with the expresso maker in the AKL concierge lounge (though that was a once in a lifetime jaunt).

jokat
04-19-2007, 10:30 PM
So what size are the coffee makers in the rooms? How much coffee do you bring (i.e. how much in each baggie)?

Last trip(s) I was by no means the java junkie I am now. I remember the coffee I had then wasn't great. Since then I've become literally addicted to specialty and flavored coffees, so I've already worried about next trip in 2008 and how to work around the Nescafe issues. :)

Crow
04-19-2007, 10:40 PM
i usually get the refillable mugs and have the bad coffee in the am on the way to the bus.
oh well.

ElenitaB
04-19-2007, 10:47 PM
So what size are the coffee makers in the rooms? How much coffee do you bring (i.e. how much in each baggie)?
My last few trips I actually considered taking my Senseo with me. They're 8 cup drip pots with basket filters. How much you put in each baggie would depend on many cups you plan on brewing, no? But for just me, I tend to brew 4 cups so that would be 6 of my coffee measures.

DisneyGiant
04-19-2007, 11:02 PM
We're hoping that the coffee at the Swan is decent.........

WDW has to have the worst coffee ever.

big blue and hairy
04-20-2007, 07:23 AM
There's a joke in Spanish about Nescafe... we say "No es café" or "It's not coffee." :funny:

As coffee is an essential food group for me, I always bring my own to brew in our room, ).
Me too, bottled water, Starbucks, and the coffee maker (if we're at Pop), are on the top of my to take list.:mcoffee:

:sulley:

SurferStitch
04-20-2007, 09:31 AM
DH and I are big Starbucks drinkers. We like very dark and strong coffee, and never add cream or sugar. In fact, I usually add a shot or two of espresso to their darkest roasts to kick it up.

That being said, we've never found the coffee at WDW to be bad. Narcoossee's, Cali Grill, V&A and Grand Flo Cafe have great coffee. We even liked the coffee at Pop. The worst coffee we had (and many here consider it blasphemy) was at Kona Cafe and 'Ohana. It was terribly weak, and had a weird (downright nasty) aftertaste. We've had the coffee at Kona several times, and once at 'Ohana for breakfast, and every time it was weak, weak, weak. The coffee at Pop put it to shame.

Granny Jill A
04-20-2007, 03:26 PM
One Word why it's bad

I agree! On my first trip to WDW, I asked what kind of coffee they served at POFQ, and they told me it was Folgers. I loved the coffee then, but now - yuck!

Bring back Folgers Coffee!

LizLovesDiz
04-20-2007, 05:49 PM
I also think that they make it really weak ! Is there coffee pots at Pop,I can,t remember?

LizLovesDiz
04-20-2007, 05:50 PM
I also think that they make it really weak ! Is there coffee pots at Pop,I can't remember?

dolphinmickey9170
04-20-2007, 06:11 PM
Must have :coffee: Maxwell House....I buy the pods that come in a square plastic tub and they are coffee and filter in one. I just drop it in the coffee pot in our room, I also bring my own cups/covers that I buy at the local wholesale store before I leave. This way, I don't have to make myself drink that yukky stuff they call coffee in WDW.

14 days 21 hours 49 minutes
I'm too excited to sleep.........

Willowwind
04-20-2007, 08:47 PM
The pot in my room at AKL last time was a 4 cup mini drip with a flat bottom basket.

:tink: That means that you need aprox. 6-10 tbs of ground coffee per pot depending on how strong you like it. You'll need to pack disposable filters too.

garymacd
04-21-2007, 11:57 AM
I haven't had coffee for myself in about 20 years. I finally decided that it tasted like someone took some burnt beans, crushed them and strained hot water through it.

My wife says they need to do two things to improve the coffee. The first thing they need to do is get some Brita filters pumped up on steroids to filter the water better. The next thing they need to do is hire some Tim Horton's people to get some better coffee happening there. Heck of a lot cheaper than Starbucks!

Let me tell you about my one and only Starbucks experience....:confused:

Jen66
04-21-2007, 03:52 PM
Not to offend anyone, but I find most coffee in the south weak. I could not get a strong cup of coffee on the Outer Banks last year, even at the gourmet places. The only exceptions I have found are the ubiquitous Starbucks in cities. Now granted, I like for my spoon to stand up in it and I drink it black, so I look for strong coffee. I love the south, just not for coffee!