PDA

View Full Version : How do you pack your laptop for flights?

terri.m
04-19-2007, 06:13 PM
We're flying to Hawaii next week and have to bring DH's laptop. Not sure if we should get a case for it and carry it on or put in with our checked luggage. Any suggestions???

TIA!:mickey:

BronxTigger
04-19-2007, 06:18 PM
I took my new laptop on a plane for the first time a couple weeks ago. I have a standard backpack that isn't padded. I took a fleece throw blanket and folded it up, and then slipped the laptop into the folds of the blanket. I put both the blanket and laptop into the backpack. The great thing about this is I often get chilly on airplanes, so I had my laptop and a blanket.

SallyP
04-19-2007, 06:27 PM
I would say carry it on in a simple case. The case doesn't need to be expensive or well padded, if you carry it on. When you go through security (the xray/conveyor belt area) you need to take it out of the case and put it on the belt.
My rule of thumb is - 'if I really need it, it is valuable or can't be replaced - CARRY IT ON." I always carry my ipod, camera and laptop on.

Marker
04-19-2007, 07:03 PM
I'd never want to check my laptop, that's just asking for trouble.

I have a backpack that is also a computer bag. It's easy to carry, it'll fit easily under the seat, and it works great for carrying other things as well.

Chescat
04-19-2007, 07:30 PM
Definitely don't check it, since you have to keep your bags basically unlocked. You might never see it again.

As long as what's in the computer bag isn't on the "no no" list you can put stuff in there. Then like SallyP said you have to take the laptop out of the bag into one of those tray things.

Use this bag as a carry on to take stuff, like the kids electronic things. DH says at least at LAX, he normally plugs in the recharger some where if he's stuck for a while, so he's not using the battery up at the airport before the flight. :D

scoot241
04-19-2007, 07:55 PM
I carry on my laptop in the bag i bought for it. It's made by Targus and is very protective. It's the only thing I carry on as I put my other items into it as well.

I wouldn't trust the baggage handlers enough to check my laptop.

Wolf
04-19-2007, 08:16 PM
When we went to WDW in Oct I put mine with the charger and my cameras in just a leather backpack I had, it doesnt have any padding and it did just fine.

TiggerRPh
04-20-2007, 01:35 AM
We're flying to Hawaii next week and have to bring DH's laptop. Not sure if we should get a case for it and carry it on or put in with our checked luggage. Any suggestions???

By all means carry it on. I just used to put it in a backpack...no extra padding at all.