PDA

View Full Version : Administrative Assistant Excluded from Administrative Professionals Celebration

ldn324
04-19-2007, 03:35 PM
I was asked this morning to cover the phones while the office staff went to a special luncheon. These office people are accounts payable, billing, medical records, purchasing clerk and quality improvement personnel. The reason for this luncheon – early celebration of Administrative Professionals Day/Week. Why does this seem quite annoying to me? Because my title is Administrative Assistant!

Trust me, I think the entire holiday thing is crazy anyway. We should be appreciated year round. But the fact is that I was excluded from the whole thing. My title has the word “administrative” right in it for goodness sakes! My boss never does anything for Admin Professionals Day so I’m not holding my breath thinking my reward will come later – I know better than that. But I’ve been sitting here stewing all day over this, and just had to get it off my chest.

So to all of us out there that go unappreciated and unrewarded, “administrative professionals” or whatever other title or position you might hold, I hereby raise a toast to us! Nobody else is going to do it – let’s do it for ourselves! :marg:

Clotho
04-19-2007, 04:50 PM
*toasting you*

I was once an admin, and I remember what it was like to be left to "watch the phones" when others above me went out to party. Someone has to do it. *shrug* It *****! But you can't put, say, the accountant on the phones.

What I think they SHOULD have done is gone out AFTER work when everyone could have celebrated!

But here's to you!:party:

hoop de do
04-19-2007, 06:35 PM
Maybe they needed to leave someone back that knew how to handle anything that might comeup and basically what's going on. I toast all administrative assistants.
Here's to you! :beer: :beer:

Milan23
04-21-2007, 10:38 AM
In all the years that I worked as an admin/exec assistant it didn't matter who I was working for, I was the one who got nothing while my co-workers got $100 spa gift certificates from their bosses. The best AP day that I ever had was when I worked at a small company supporting the president. He would always remember afterwards and say "sorry about that". One year, my friend sent me flowers...the look on my boss' face was priceless! He actually remembered the next year (although he had to tell the HR manager to remind him).

Anyway, I would always dread the day because although I truly did not care, it always seemed like such a big deal was made out of it and I always ended up feeling a little "left out".

So here's to all the AP's out there...:beer:

AvaNellMouse
04-21-2007, 10:16 PM
:marg: To US!! :marg:

My boss is awesome but I do all of the card and gift buying for all aspects of his life. Last year his wife arranged a huge flower arrangement at the last minute - it was so pretty.
I guess my feeling about this day is I am super lucky to have one of the nicest men on the planet as my boss. I would rather have that than any gift he could ever bring me.
On the other hand, I do a ton of work for people beyond my boss - it bugs me when they don't even bother to say anything or the very worst comment, "Oh, we should all do something for you, huh?" Well, yes, yes you should. ;)

I think the OP should take a personal day and go to a spa. Appreciate yourself if no one else will. Knowing how many times you rescue everyone else each day, perhaps you should rescue yourself this year.

PAYROLL PRINCESS
04-22-2007, 12:14 AM
Even though I wasn't an Admin. my former boss would always send me flowers. And he had to do it himself, because I was the one who usually handled that in our office.
This year, my title at my new job is Payroll/HR Admin. so it'll be interesting to see if they do anything at this company. Not that I expect anything. But here's to all of the Admins who are unappreciated. A toast to you!