PDA

View Full Version : Tips for filming the parade

Disneyatic
04-19-2007, 03:25 PM
One of our goals on our upcoming trip is to try to get videos of rides, shows and parades so we can have some great memories to look back on!
I was wondering if/when filming the parade, does anyone ever use a camera and tripod?
Is this allowed?

MickeysBestPal
04-19-2007, 04:37 PM
One of our goals on our upcoming trip is to try to get videos of rides, shows and parades so we can have some great memories to look back on!
I was wondering if/when filming the parade, does anyone ever use a camera and tripod?
Is this allowed?

I use a tripod many times. It makes all the difference in image smoothness.
Just make sure it and the camera are no taller than your head so you don't block anyone's view. And don't use the flip-out lighted LCD screen if its light will disturb with other's view of the show.

You can videotape just about anything at WDW.
Notable exceptions would be "Finding Nemo, the Musical," and "Soarin'" (and other film-based attractions.)

Just listen to the pre-show announcements and they will tell you which attractions/shows don't allow taping.

The rest are OK, but do not use any video LIGHTS.

Disneyatic
04-20-2007, 02:44 PM
Thank you so much for the great information!
We are excited to try this on our trip!!

MarkC
04-20-2007, 04:42 PM
Here's a tip for you that I should have passed along to my then 4 year old son. He was sitting on my shoulders watching spectromagic and wanted to tape because he had a better view. I asked him if the camcorder was ok and if he had a good view. He said yes. Well, he probably did but the camcorder wasn't able to capture much with the lens cap on. We did have great sound though (ha ha).

Tick-Tock
04-20-2007, 05:25 PM
We've used a tripod many times. Plan your sightlines carefully. If it's crowded, you may have trouble with folks leaning or standing in front of your tripod if you're shooting looking down the street, rather than just directly in front of you.

readytogo2
04-21-2007, 08:08 AM
we try to get a spot near a garbage can. i wipe the top off with a wetnap. the top is flat and you can move camera from side to side if needed. worked great

pook@wdw
04-21-2007, 05:20 PM
Try to get a spot on the terrace over the entrance view for the parade w/the castle in the background. Tri-pods are great as long as they don't interfere w/others viewing. ( and, yes, I have the entire "Soarin" recorded on disc and it came out very nicely!:thumbsup:

JPL
04-21-2007, 05:23 PM
A corner is usually a good spot for parade sight lines since it allows you to get the floats coming up the street and a side view of the float as it passes :thumbsup:

joanna71985
04-28-2007, 06:56 PM
These are great tips.:thumbsup:

Goes4FastPass
04-29-2007, 07:07 PM
... you may have trouble with folks leaning or standing in front of your tripod ...Or you may have trouble with budding videographers stepping out into the street like the parade only exists for their taping.

Please enjoy the parades and shows and your taping but be considerate of those around you.

Vanlandingham
04-29-2007, 08:36 PM
we try to get a spot near a garbage can. i wipe the top off with a wetnap. the top is flat and you can move camera from side to side if needed. worked great

Wow, why haven't I thought of that before? That's quite the good idea.

imaprincess!
04-29-2007, 08:41 PM
Just be sure to hold tight to that camera when you're done filming. My best friend hung her camera on the back of her chair when eating at the Brown Derby. Somebody took it off her chair and walked away with it. All her memories of her 4-year old daughter are gone from that trip!

Pop Centurion
04-29-2007, 11:14 PM
If your filming spectromagic try to switch to manual focus after the auto focus locks in on one of the floats. The reason for this is because many video recorders tend to zoom in and out of focus as bright lights come into the frame and exit. I'm sure everyone knows what I'm talking about.