PDA

View Full Version : VATech Shootings [Merged Threads]

J.C.&ALI'SMOM
04-16-2007, 12:40 PM
May I ask that you all send pixie dust and prayers for all involved in this tragedy. I have several friends who have children that attend Va Tech and I am worried. Two of my co-workers at this school have a child and a stepchild there right now. I am so upset.

pshokie
04-16-2007, 12:45 PM
My thoughts and prayers are with all affected by this tragedy.

While those I know have been accounted for, I still ache for those who are lost.

This Hokie is shedding a tear for all.

PirateLover
04-16-2007, 12:56 PM
Insane... my heart aches for those victims and their families. For those who don't know the story, here it is...

Gunman Kills 21 at Virginia Tech
Email this Story

Apr 16, 12:31 PM (ET)

By SUE LINDSEY

(AP) Shootings at a dorm and classroom on the Virginia Tech campus Monday, April 16, 2007, left at least...
Full Image

BLACKSBURG, Va. (AP) - A gunman opened fire in a dorm and classroom at Virginia Tech on Monday, killing 21 people and wounding another 21 before he was killed, police said.

On the Web site, Tech reported the shootings at opposite sides of the 2,600-acre campus at West Ambler Johnston, a co-ed residence hall that houses 895 people, and said there were "multiple victims" at Norris Hall, an engineering building.

All entrances to the campus were closed and classes canceled through Tuesday.

"There's just a lot of commotion. It's hard to tell exactly what's going on," said student Jason Anthony Smith, 19, who lives in the dorm where shooting took place.

Aimee Kanode, a freshman from Martinsville, said the shooting happened on the 4th floor of West Ambler Johnston dormitory, one floor above her room. Kanode's resident assistant knocked on her door about 8 a.m. to notify students to stay put.

"They had us under lockdown," Kanode said. "They temporarily lifted the lockdown, the gunman shot again."

"We're all locked in our dorms surfing the Internet trying to figure out what's going on," Kanode said.

Madison Van Duyne, a student who was interviewed by telephone on CNN, said, "We are all in lockdown. Most of the students are sitting on the floors away from the windows just trying to be as safe as possible."

It was second time in less than a year that the campus was closed because of a shooting.

In August 2006, the opening day of classes was canceled and the campus closed when an escaped jail inmate allegedly killed a hospital guard off campus and fled to the Tech area. A sheriff's deputy involved in the manhunt was killed on a trail just off campus.

The accused gunman, William Morva, faces capital murder charges.

DVC2004
04-16-2007, 01:01 PM
This is truly horrible. Pixie dust and prayers for those invloved.

Jimenyfan
04-16-2007, 01:05 PM
As soon as I saw this I stopped and immediately said a prayer. Prayers going out to everyone involved in this horrible event.

pshokie
04-16-2007, 01:07 PM
Current reports list it as 22 dead, 28 wounded.

Hopefully, this tragedy does not get any worse.

BTW, Thank you Intercotees, I am here as a refuge today. (Fighting tears). I greatly need the distraction today. I keep finding my way back to all of the news about my beloved Alma Mater, but it is nice to have a safe haven, planning and talking Disney, atleast for a little while.

pogo
04-16-2007, 01:20 PM
I feel so bad for all involved. Prayers and :pixie: to all. This is indeed a very sad day. :(

Jeri Lynn
04-16-2007, 01:38 PM
What a very sad incident. My prayers go out to everyone there at VA Tech, and the families of all involved.

RedSoxFan
04-16-2007, 01:40 PM
This is terrible. DS is a freshman at U of Kentucky but has lots of friends who attend VA Tech as we lived in VA for the past 6 years. He is devastated by this news and is trying to find out if his friends are OK. He already lost a classmate last year right before graduation due to a senseless car accident (speeding and not wearing a seatbelt). I'm not too sure he could deal with another loss at such a young age.

Jasper
04-16-2007, 02:11 PM
Latest report on the radio now has the toll at 29 dead and at least as many injured!!

As a parent I can't begin to imagine how horrible it would be to have a student at that school and then hearing this kind of news on the media. The radio also said they were asking for people not to call the campus because phone lines are overwhelmed with calls. Not being able to get through to your child would just make the situation even more horrible for the parents.

My prayers are with everyone involved in this tragedy.

PirateLover
04-16-2007, 02:12 PM
They are at 32 dead now apparently and expecting the number to rise. Shooter is among the dead. Sad sad sad sad. I cannot imagine how anything could go back to normal at the school anytime soon. So many innocent lives, gone in a senseless act. Tons of prayers and pixie dust *~*~*
... i don't even want to put the pixie icon because somehow a smiling face with a party hat doesn't seen appropriate right now...

disneydrmr
04-16-2007, 02:13 PM
Reports I've read now say 32 dead and 21 wounded... tragic. My thoughts and prayers go out to the Virginia Tech community.

Nascfan
04-16-2007, 02:13 PM
What a senseless, terrible tragedy. My heart goes out to all the victims, their families, and friends. Prayers and pixie dust for all.

ChipnDaleGal
04-16-2007, 02:21 PM
My brain can't (or won't) understand something like this, and my heart just bleeds for all the families that lost someone they loved today. :(

Jasper
04-16-2007, 02:22 PM
I just heard the latest number as being 32 also and one reporter said that she was told by a school official that the toll could be nearly double that before it is over because many of the injured are in very critical condition. The news reporter also said that they have pulled emergency workers in from nearly a 100 mile radius and they could still use more!!

Probably the freakiest thing they had on the radio was a recording that someone made of the shooting with their cell phone camera. Since I heard this on the radio I obviously didn't see the audio, but it was just so weird to hear the guns firing and knowing that I was hearing the sound of innocent young people dieing!!

The same person who took the cell phone video also said that the gunman opened fire in an engineering classroom and before it was over everyone in that room was dead!!

pshokie
04-16-2007, 02:37 PM
Probably the freakiest thing they had on the radio was a recording that someone made of the shooting with their cell phone camera. Since I heard this on the radio I obviously didn't see the audio, but it was just so weird to hear the guns firing and knowing that I was hearing the sound of innocent young people dieing!!

Having seen the cell video several times, it is extremely surreal. I am on a constant live feed of WSLS TV (Local VT feed from Raonoke VA), and the photage is in thier video loop now. It basically shows what amounts to the "end" of the shooting with police converging on a single spot after rapid gunfire.

You can audibly count at least 13 gun shots.

Absolutely terrible.

For those of you who wish, and Mods, please on this instance allow the link, the one of the major community message boards for Virginia Tech is located at Techsideline.com (via what was formerly the "Lounge" message board). It is a sports related sight, but it also the most popular site amongst Virginia Tech Hokies.

[Sorry, link removed since we cannot control the content and cannot guarantee to our members that it is family-friendly.]

Tick-Tock
04-16-2007, 02:42 PM
My stepsister is a grad student at VA Tech, and luckily I've been able to find out that she's safe in her apartment. Here in Colorado, we're all too aware of how horrible school shootings are for the entire community, not just the students and their families. My thoughts are with all those affected.

MNNHFLTX
04-16-2007, 03:21 PM
I am so very sorry to hear about everything going on at the VaTech campus today. It is heartwrenching to see and hear a college campus made into the scene of a such a tragedy. My prayers are with the victims and those left behind to carry on. :cry:

offwego
04-16-2007, 03:25 PM
What a tragic story..my prayers are with them today and in the days to follow.

Tinkermom
04-16-2007, 03:29 PM
My husband is a VA Tech alumni. This is so completely senseless. My heart and my prayers go out for all of the victims and their families as well as the students and faculty of VA Tech. It will be a long road to recovery.:(

tron80
04-16-2007, 03:31 PM
As a former student from VT...well I just don't know what to say or think. It's terrible. I'm sad and very [ticked] about this. And I saw some of my friends who are still studying there making media statements,at least it's (somewhat) good to hear.

Our thoughts are with you,all at VT.

NewmanFamily6
04-16-2007, 03:39 PM
:( VA Tech is about 30 minutes from my house. My prayers are definitely with everyone. We know several teens that are going to school there

faline
04-16-2007, 03:44 PM
What a terrible thing!

ChipDale
04-16-2007, 04:01 PM
Moderator Note:

This is an extremely horrifying and tragic incident. Please remember that INTERCOT is a family site, so please refrain from using strong language and posting explicit content.

mjaclyn
04-16-2007, 04:03 PM
I feel absolutely sick about this. Is anyone else just plain tired of hearing about so much violence? What on Earth are these people thinking of when they decide to take innocent lives for NO REASON??

I send my deepest sympathies to all of those involved and hope they can find the strength to pull through all of this.

bucky at disney
04-16-2007, 04:04 PM
Prayers going out to all involved.

How senseless...:(

Dsnygirl
04-16-2007, 04:45 PM
:( My thoughts and prayers go out to all the families, students and friends involved in this - what an absolutely horrible & senseless tragedy. My heart aches just hearing about it.

RedSoxFan
04-16-2007, 04:58 PM
I was instant messaging with DS at college -- his friends at VATech are ok. One of his best friends from high school was 100 ft away from the shooter (they were outside) and he just ran as fast as he could. Another one his friends in the dorm has a friend at VATech who was in the classroom when the shooting started and she managed to get away. This is scary and so senseless.:(

thrillme
04-16-2007, 05:02 PM
My prayers are with everyone who lost someone, who had someone hurt and those who wittnessed this.

I just can't understand the mind of someone who so senselessly goes to hurt so many people. It's horrible.

DisneyDudet
04-16-2007, 05:28 PM
Update:
33, including the shooter, confirmed dead. The gunman carried no identity, therefore, cannot be identified as of yet. They say that the shooter took his own life. 2 were killed in the dorm, the first shooting. They can't confirm that the first shooting is connected to the later, classroom shooting. They thought that the first shooting was isolated, and the gunman left campus.

Families will be contacted "shortly" if their loved ones are one of the victims.

Please pray for everyone involved.

This update was from CNN, Headline News, and Fox News television.

ElenitaB
04-16-2007, 05:42 PM
This is so incredibly sad. My heart goes out to all impacted by this tragedy. :(

HollyB
04-16-2007, 06:27 PM
I am so sad about this. My husband has colleagues at this University--people he likes that were working on a project with him. We don't know yet if they are okay. My thoughts and prayers are with all affected by this tragedy.

amd780
04-16-2007, 06:33 PM
It makes me absolutely sick at heart to hear about this. I found out that one of my childhood friends is a senior at VA Tech, but that he's safe. My heart goes out to all affected by this tragedy :(

jkj1224
04-16-2007, 07:33 PM
My heart is breaking for the family and friends of those students. They will be in our thoughts and prayers

Chescat
04-16-2007, 07:35 PM
Thoughts and prayers to all those affected by this horrible event. Sad part is we are almost to the anniversary this week of Columbine at the end of the week and Oklahoma Bombings. Why do people feel the need to harm so many people they usually don't even know. :(

Melanie
04-16-2007, 07:43 PM
Wow, the VA Tech campus is such a beautiful place for such a terrible tragedy to occur. My hearts go out to everyone in the Hokie family today. This is almost incomprehensible. :(

Bethanymouse
04-16-2007, 09:38 PM
My prayers go out to the families of the victims and those on campus. What a scary and tragic event.

Bethis26fan
04-16-2007, 10:10 PM
It's so scary to think that people can be so upset to take a human life. It's so sad.

The Bookseller
04-16-2007, 10:16 PM
... i don't even want to put the pixie icon because somehow a smiling face with a party hat doesn't seen appropriate right now...

Neither can I.

In all honesty, with such a tragic event, I don't even think that pixie dust can help to mend that wound. I am not even angry with the shooter right now, I am just numb. :(

This is madness, pure and simple madness.

we can't compare it with anythinng we know. The "Polytechnic Massacre" in December '89 "Only" had 15 deaths. This is more than the double.

I hope we will get answers about this so that people can heal.

crazypoohbear
04-16-2007, 10:29 PM
I'm just sick about this. As a parent I can't even fathom getting one of those phone calls. My DS is a Jr. in high school and we were just starting to discuss colleges. Now I want to home college him. I couldn't bear having him away from home and something like this happening and the not knowing. My prayers are for all the mom's and dad's out there getting the worst call of their lives. God Bless them all.

RAIDER
04-17-2007, 03:46 AM
Very very sad and oh so pointless what a waste of innocent lives :angry: :confused:

BronxTigger
04-17-2007, 06:02 AM
...there are no words for this...

conorsmom2000
04-17-2007, 11:04 PM
This is so sad and tragic, I can't even wrap my head around it. :( One of the victims was from the town right next to us. My heart goes out to all those affected by this....

tron80
04-18-2007, 12:23 AM
Today we held a moment of complete silence in our campus. I just found out that a professor gave his life to protect the other students... A professor. I'm shocked. It's an example that there are amazing people on Earth.

imaprincess!
04-18-2007, 07:09 PM
A 4th grade teacher at our kids' school has a son who was one floor below the shootings at the dorm. She is in VA now, of course.

How senseless.

Bethis26fan
04-18-2007, 07:12 PM
They are showing photos now on the news that he mailed to nbc. They are so scary, again I feel so sorry for everyone that this has effected.

PirateLover
04-18-2007, 07:14 PM
Today we held a moment of complete silence in our campus. I just found out that a professor gave his life to protect the other students... A professor. I'm shocked. It's an example that there are amazing people on Earth.

What makes the story even more compelling is that he was a 76 year old Holocaust survivor. Can you imagine- to survive something like that and have so much to give to the world to then have your life taken by this madman. He was a true hero and his memory will live on in the hearts and minds of those who he saved.
I am currently finishing up my student teaching and I have thought a lot about what he did, and how I hope I would have the courage to do the same thing. I would do everything I could to ensure the safety of my students.

SingingPixie
04-18-2007, 07:35 PM
I live in Northern VA and while I (thankfully) dont know any of the victims, I have friends who know at least 5 of them. Being a recent college grad and working on a college campus, I can't even imagine what it's like there right now- even here at George Mason, there's a definite cloud over everyone.

I also can't imagine what his family must be going through.... they live less than a mile from me. So tragic.

RedSoxFan
04-18-2007, 09:11 PM
DS called from U of Kentucky today. He said he's been looking over his shoulder on campus. Thankfully, he only has two weeks left of school. One of his high school buddies was outside the norris bldg when he heard the shots and just ran. And another friend -- her roommate was one of the girls killed. Some of his other friends at Tech have packed and are back home.

pshokie
04-19-2007, 09:52 AM
A message from the Virginia Tech Adminstration, Student body, and Alumi Associations across the country...

A message I now pass along to my newest family...

Hokie Hope Day
Orange & Maroon Effect Friday April 20th

Virginia Tech family members across the country have united to declare this Friday, April 20th, an "Orange and Maroon Effect" day to honor those killed in the tragic events on campus Monday, and to show support for Virginia Tech students, faculty, administrators, staff, alumni, and friends. "Orange and Maroon Effect" was born several years ago as an invitation to tech fans to wear orange and maroon to Virginia Tech athletic events. We invite everyone from all over the country to be a part of the Virginia Tech family this Friday , to wear orange and maroon to support the families of those who were lost, and to support the school and community we all love so much.

BriarRose0708
04-19-2007, 11:06 AM
Thank you for posting this, as a staff member on a university very similar to VT I would be proud to wear Orange and Maroon tomorrow. We have all been touched here at UB by the events of the past week and send all our heartfelt condolences to all the faculty, staff, students, alumni and members of the Blacksburg community.

Here we go again...
04-19-2007, 11:17 AM
I can not even imagine what you are going through. My thoughts and prayers are with you and all of the families involved in this tragedy.

I am glad you found this board. We, as your "new family" are here for you. If you need to talk, we will all be here to listen.

I will proudly wear orange and maroon tomorrow.

murphy1
04-19-2007, 04:19 PM
I haven't been this shaken since the UF Gainesville murders, it is so heartbreaking. I dated a VT eng. grad and they are just absolutely amazing students and people. My heart goes out to all of these families.