PDA

View Full Version : Bring Back Lagoon to Fantasyland?

Ten of Hearts
04-18-2007, 11:02 PM
I was thinking about the old 20K lagoon at the Magic Kingdom in FL. Maybe it could be brought back?? and become the main part of Ariel's Grotto???? I don't quite understand how they could have filled in the old lagoon and then have the mermaid on dry land, but I guess that's the way the Disney team worked it out at the time. I envision a beautiful lagoon all sparkling and aquamarine... with Ariel and her friends there- even swimming in the lagoon! We could look at them through the glass! What do you think?!? :mickey:

JPL
04-18-2007, 11:15 PM
Unfortunately this will never happen the reason the lagoon was structural concerns with the Utilidors according to Disney. It cost alot of money and engineeering know how just to fill it in.

Vanlandingham
04-18-2007, 11:50 PM
Yeah its probably never going to come back. I remember looking through a barrier a few years back when they were filling it in and feeling a bit melancholy about it.

skisurf2
04-19-2007, 07:50 AM
I look at Disney in an entirely new light after they did that. They just don't care or listen to the Disney fans. Disney is now run by accountant's,

WEDTOPIA
04-19-2007, 08:01 PM
I truly believe they could have saved the lagoon , at least as a scenic backdrop ( which would have been better than waiting for 10 years , just to watch them put in a playground ). The lagoon was always such a cool backdrop for Fantasyland. There was really 3 reasons for shutting down 20K - 1. ) No one wanted to deal with the time consuming maintenance . 2 .) There was no feasible way to make the subs ADA equipped. 3 .) A rigged set-up ,concocted by the maintenance staff before a visit by one of Eisner's cronies about 12 years ago, that doomed the ride forever.

After looking at the stagnant lagoon for 10 years , the Disney folk decided to put in a very inexpensive playground , after spending a mint having it filled in.

Has to be one of the worst examples of corporate efficiency , ever seen at WDW.

And , yes , having a Little Mermaid theme expanded to include the lagoon ,would have been the perfect idea.:thumbsup: In fact ,before it was filled in ,they had a King Triton fountain out there directly behind Ariel's Grotto.

:mickey:

LudwigVonDrake
04-19-2007, 08:15 PM
The lagoon is gone forever :(

Ten of Hearts
04-19-2007, 09:56 PM
My suggestion is that we all send pixie dust to Disney corporate and maybe they'll get an idea to re-imagineer the playround and Ariel's Grotto. They could have tall, cool fountains with a statue of King Neptune or other aquatic characters from The Little Mermaid around the playground and grotto. Then they could have some nice seating areas for people to relax in and have a little snack bar there. Anyone have other suggestions? Maybe we could start a petition to 'Rebuild Ariel's Grotto' or something. What do my fellow Intercotees think?

Kristi Kay
04-20-2007, 05:28 PM
I have doubts about it even coming back too....it's sad too, b/c it was a good ride.

mttafire
04-20-2007, 05:48 PM
Unfortunately this will never happen the reason the lagoon was structural concerns with the Utilidors according to Disney. It cost alot of money and engineeering know how just to fill it in.

Agreed..

Ten of Hearts
04-20-2007, 07:45 PM
...but what about just putting some fountains in??? :mickey:

Main Street Jim
04-21-2007, 10:24 AM
To be honest, I don't think I've been back that way in quite some time, but didn't they leave a *small* bit of "lagoon" back there with the King Triton fountain still in it? It was there the last time I was back there...

TheRustyScupper
04-21-2007, 10:47 AM
1) I am not sure about a lagoon ride.
2) But, additional rides are a big YES for me.
3) All the parks need more rides.

4) Attendance has increased.
5) But, ride capacity has not kept pace.
6) There is proportionately less ride capacity.
7) Thus, longer and longer ride lines and waits.

8) It is time for more ride investment money.

dumbo ears
04-21-2007, 11:47 AM
i never rode it but i have read the book and seen the movies so i would like to have a 20 leagues under the sea ride.

GiltterDisneyGirl
04-22-2007, 03:26 AM
I wish they could, but they won't, and since they filled it all in with dirt, the King Triton water fountain is gone too.

:pout: :fit: :cry: :sad: :sob:

Khfan13
04-25-2007, 10:52 AM
So King Triton is gone? Because the last time I was there it was 2005 and I don't remember seeing it, but when I was alot younger I have this vivid memory of seeing it while waiting to see Ariel. Just making sure I wasn't crazy:secret: ...

Figgyluv03
04-25-2007, 12:12 PM
Although I didn't like the ride (only because I am deathly afraid of submarines) I did think the lagoon was beautiful and they could have refurbed into something to coinside with the Little Mermaid.