PDA

View Full Version : Anyone know anything about Trout?

Jeri Lynn
04-18-2007, 03:44 PM
Hi,
We live on a lake in Central MA. The deepest part of our lake is about 30ft, but for the most part it averages around 15ft. My DH and DS would like to have some trout in the lake, but they are not sure if they would survive, or if there is a certain species of trout that could live in our lake conditions. Our lake is home to large and small mouth bass, kiver's and some pickerel...are there any fishermen/women out there who might be able to tell me if putting some trout in our lake would be successful?

Thanks!

MsMin
04-18-2007, 04:34 PM
I know here you can contact the university ag center or the wildlife & fisheries for hatchery and livestock info. I've known ppl to get brim and bass for their large ponds. Have you tried that? They should have the best info on what survives in your area.

kakn7294
04-18-2007, 04:39 PM
From what little I know - Brown, Rainbow, and Brook trout all thrive here in Western PA and live in both streams and creeks as well as lakes. They prefer cold, clear water and are able to survive our winters. I would assume these same species would also thrive in your lake but be careful about introducing them and upsetting the current balance in your lake. Contact your local game commission to find out what they recommend.

hoop de do
04-18-2007, 04:57 PM
I agree with kakn7294 in contacting your Fish or Game Commission. You should have no problem but depending on the size of your lake sometimes trout and bass don't get along. I think rainbow is probably your best bet. My Sportsmen club stocks rainbow for our kids here in PA and they hold over well through the winter. Hope I helped good luck fishing. :shark: :fishbowl:

DisneyorBust
04-21-2007, 08:53 PM
Definetely check with your state's Fish and Game Commission. In most states, it is illegal to put non-native fish etc, into public waters.

Tinkerfreak
04-23-2007, 09:09 AM
Definetely check with your state's Fish and Game Commission. In most states, it is illegal to put non-native fish etc, into public waters.

Absolutly right do not put anything in the lake without permission from your Fish and
Game dept. My nephew is a Game Warden here in Maine and it is illegal to introduce any new species of wildlife or fish into a habitat. It can totally wipe out a species if you introduce something that will kill something else.