PDA

View Full Version : Non Smoking Buildings

disneynarula
04-18-2007, 03:17 PM
How is the situation in the non smoking buildings? Does WDW still allow people to smoke outside non smoking resort rooms?This is mostly a concern at the moderates and values where the rooms face the outside.

I am not trying to start an opinion thread here where everyone argues about whether or not this should be allowed. I just want to know whether this situation has improved in the past few years.

We had a real problem with this a few years ago at POR with the guests in the room next to us. We will be staying at POP in Sept and wonder if I am going to experience the same thing.

crazeedizneefinatic
04-18-2007, 03:28 PM
yes, we had the same experience as you mention. We had non smoking rooms at POP and people smoked on the balcony outside the rooms. I have even had a non smoking room before that someone smoked in. Burn marks around the sink and all. Like you said, I don't want to start something political but I request a non smoking room for a reason. My son and husband have asthma. (I am not trying to sheild them from the world, I am sure pollution is a factor also but smoke does not help.) I think maybe there should be a designated area for smokers, maybe in a courtyard in the non smoking room area for convenience? I think you will run into this situation anywhere you stay if nothing is put into place to have such an area. I used to smoke so I know what it is like to unwind and relax with a cirgerette but sometimes people do not use their heads.

Terk24
04-18-2007, 03:29 PM
They dont really monitor. My favorite is they have ashtrays(cans) outside of the rooms in the non-smoking builders. I moved them all our last trip. They dont' get some people are allergic or have to asthma and smoke is not good.

SBETigg
04-18-2007, 03:47 PM
It's almost impossible to monitor. We had a non-smoking room in a non-smoking building at the Polynesian last trip, and toward the end of the trip, we somehow ended up with someone who kept smoking in a neighboring room. Our bathroom reeked of smoke.

I have asthma, and it bothered me a bit, but I didn't want to change rooms with only a few days left of the trip and no one could tell exactly where it was coming from - below us, next to us. With no one admitting to the smoking, what could the CMs really do?

offwego
04-18-2007, 03:52 PM
For some reason I've seen more of this in ground floor rooms perhaps the grass etc makes it seem less like they are still in front of the room?

But I'd say it's well nigh impossible to deal with unless you can politely ask the smoker to move farther away.

moe513
04-18-2007, 05:47 PM
At the YC last year we found people smoking on their balconies. I'm not sure if their room was smoking or not but it can right in our room and we had to shut our slider.

tink55
04-19-2007, 08:28 AM
It's everywhere. We were in a non-smoking building at Boardwalk Inn last November, signs posted everywhere, and two guys were smoking on the patio next to us. Smokers somehow think this is OKAY! It's worse than smoking in the room, IMO, because the stink gets spread everywhere. The only thing WDW will do is offer to move you - the nonsmoker - to another room. They never come down on the smoker.

January-2007
04-19-2007, 08:45 AM
We have stayed at Pop Century twice within the last 6 months. Both times we were in the 50's Tramp building. Both rooms we had did not smell like smoke, they were fine. However, on our October trip one of the elevators smelled very strongly of cigarettes. Luckily we discovered it was just as easy to take the stairs, so we could avoid the smell. In January the elevators both smelled ok for the most part, and it was a good thing because our room was higher up. I think it's good that they have the ash tray bin things outside of the entrance to the buildings because otherwise we would probably see a lot of cigarette buds on the ground, and that would be even more unpleasant. In September we have a Preferred room booked at Pop and I am crossing my fingers that we don't have a smoke smelling room, because I've read of people having problems in that area of the resort. If we have a problem though, we will not hesitate to ask to change rooms. When making the reservations this time around I asked to have a non smoking room and the CM told me they were all non smoking unless we asked for otherwise. I think that's just an uninformed CM though. Happy Planning! :mickey: