PDA

View Full Version : Woot! 300 Posts! Earliest ride memory?

battle beast
04-18-2007, 12:42 PM
In honor of my 300th post, what is your earliest ride memory???

Mine in the first time I rode the Matterhorn. It was my first ride, and the one I go on ONLY ONCE, first off after I enter the park. Still brings a tear to me old eye! :crying:

BigRedDad
04-18-2007, 12:51 PM
Earliest memory of a ride is the tram from Fort Wilderness. In the park, it has to be the train.

magicman
04-18-2007, 01:59 PM
I remember the boat/ferry taking us from the TTA to MK. I remember seeing the MK & Cinderella's Castle getting closer & nearly wetting myself with excitement.

By the way, congrat's on 300th post. I'm nearing that mark myself.

Disney Dee
04-18-2007, 03:20 PM
I remember my first roller coaster ride, Space Mountain!

Bruegge
04-18-2007, 03:24 PM
It's not really a ride... but the first memory was going thru the CR on the monorail

Scott

Touchdown
04-18-2007, 03:40 PM
Things I vividly remember from my first trip to WDW at age 5 (Jan 1989: )

-Monorail
-Poly
-Train
-BTMRR
-Tiki Room
-Small World
-Haunted Mansion
-Pirates
-Peoplemover
-Being upset both SMs were not open (one was in rehab one was being built)
-Hearing about the new park they were building
-SSE
-El Rio De Tempo
-Universe of Energy
-Living Seas
-Living with the Land
-Journey Into Imagination
-Dream Flights
-Illuminations

mdricks
04-18-2007, 03:49 PM
The memorys are jumbled but its either, Mr. Toad or the Skyway.

(Sniff R.I.P. ole friends)

WelshieLover
04-18-2007, 03:51 PM
Back when they still had tickets - the first ticket my family used was for the Swiss Family Robinson Treehouse. It still has a dear place in my heart. I don't even remember what type of ticket it was. Your first time to WDW is always special. There is nothing like those memories.:mickey: The next best thing is the first time your kids experience it. It is like seeing everything through a child's eyes.

dopeydude
04-18-2007, 03:52 PM
congrats on your 300th post...
how do you make new threads????? :confused:

baldburke
04-18-2007, 07:23 PM
congrats on your 300th post...
how do you make new threads????? :confused:

I remember 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea from my first trip. I remember really thinking we were under the water. I remember doing a bunch of other rides too. But that one sticks out the most.

As for new threads. Click on discussion at the top. Then click the topic to which your thread applies. From there you should see a button for news posts.

Good luck!

MinnieMommie
04-18-2007, 08:09 PM
:congrats: on your 300th!! Yipee!

Mine is the monorail. I stayed at the Contemporary on my first trip and was amazed at the monorail ride into the MK. :mickey:

Marilyn Michetti
04-18-2007, 08:15 PM
Our first ride was World of Motion in 1983. That will always be my all time favorite.:)

rafiki fan
04-18-2007, 08:30 PM
I don't know why but as mentioned already there was something about the 20000 Leagues Under the Sea attraction that really stayed with me. I really wish our kids could experience it. Of course time goes on and I know one day they will tell their kids that it was great to experience classics like "Food Rocks!!" a family favorite.

Mickey91
04-19-2007, 11:05 AM
It's A Small World at WDW. 1973, I was 2 and mad that we didn't have another ticket to go again!

Sammyjo
04-19-2007, 11:20 AM
My first trip we stayed at the Poly so I remeber the monorail being the first thing I rode. At six years old it's a ride and I still think it's a ride.

flying carpet
04-19-2007, 11:51 AM
SPACE MOUNTIAN!:mickey:

Donald A
04-19-2007, 11:57 AM
I was not fortunate enough to get to go to WDW as a small child. Instead, it was not until I was a freshman in HS when I went to march in the Main Street Electrical Light parade with my HS marching band. I remember our first day was spent at the Magic Kingdom before the parade and I wasted a lot of time walking around having no clue about anything or where anything was. I wanted to do something but didn't like all the lines. Therefore, I came across the Haunted Mansion with a short line. That was my first taste of Disney animatronics and is among my favorite attractions to this day. I still remember my good friend imitating the butler cast member saying, "No more bodies, please."

King Triton
04-19-2007, 12:16 PM
My first rides were the tram to the TTC and the monorail to the MK.

But, I assume you mean in the park, which I don't recall. It may have been an E ticket for Jungle Cruise, but I'm not sure. (JC was "E", right?)

crazeedizneefinatic
04-19-2007, 01:30 PM
The earliest memory for me was being 5 or 6 years old and riding Dumbo over and over and over again! Also being "scared" riding 20,000 leagues under the sea! I can remember climbing down under and sitting on the little stools and wondering if the water was going to start rushing in the top. Little did I know! My most recent memory of a wonderful ride was the first time my husband and I rode Expedition Everest! Had no idea what to expect and got the front seat! All I have to say is "WOW"!

darthmacho
04-19-2007, 02:03 PM
The year is 1998, it is early morning, before the park's official opening, and I am making my way through the hauntingly wonderful queue of none other than Space Mountain. After a fairly short wait that was filled with much anticipation, I stepped into the front car, waved to the CM's in the control room, and then...take off onto my first WDW ride ever! :coaster:

By the way, I was 27 years old at the time. :muscles:

ravsluvdisney
04-19-2007, 02:07 PM
1973 - 10 years old riding Indy Speedway with dad. And man those cars were fast (now I know better!)

WinnipegDisneyFanatic
04-19-2007, 02:30 PM
Ten years ago this past spring break...I remember watching Indiana Jones first...then going on Star Tours..with those robots that talk to you in line :mickey: so much fun!!

Chris :hatter:

battle beast
04-20-2007, 11:25 AM
:congrats: on 1000 posts! :congrats:

battle beast
04-20-2007, 11:30 AM
Thanks everyone for your kinds word on my 300 posts! 1,000 here I come! Gotta reach it by November 4th!!!

MOJoe
04-20-2007, 11:58 AM
My first visit was in 1978, and i recall the Skyway to Tomorrow Land, and 20,000 Leagues, but my most vivid memory, and biggest disappointment, was of a cast member making me remove my glasses before i could ride Space Mountain. Not being able to "see", even in the dark, really took away from the experience. I suppose i was so turned off by that requirement that I never rode Space Mountain again, until last year, with my 12 yr old son. Guess What? I didn't have to remove my specs! WOW! Now SM is my favorite!

Rayadragon
04-20-2007, 12:07 PM
Although my ride memories are a bit fuzzy, the earliest I can remember is it's a small world, from the trip when I was 4. I had been before then, but I can't remember any of the previous trips.

Vanlandingham
04-20-2007, 12:23 PM
Not so much a ride memory, but my earliest wdw memory was walking into the MK just as the sun was setting during April. It was 1987 and the 15th anniversary of wdw: I remember that they had these clock things out front with Mickey on the face and his arms would tell the time. I also remember that they used to have cars on stands out front as part of some sort of sponsership deal. Anyway, we went into the park and watched the parade and thats my earliest wdw memory. I was 2 and a half years old.

Other than that, I remember riding the really old buses at FW (one of them would end up as a prop on New York Street at MGM for a while) and I also recall riding on the WDWRR sometime around 88 or 89. Thats as far back as I can think right now

dumbo ears
04-21-2007, 05:28 PM
Mine is watching Mickey's philiharmagic(my first time was in 2004). it was the best thing i have ever seen. it is still my favorite thing at magic kingdom.

QTPie68
04-25-2007, 03:27 AM
I was about 11 at the time and it was at Disneyland (we lived on the West Coast) and it was the Haunted Mansion.

The first ride at WDW was when I was 15 and it was the Monorail through the Contemporary, back in the dark ages when they first opened up the new park, EPCOT :).

PrincessEmmasMommy
04-25-2007, 05:32 AM
I remember being either 4 or 5 y.o. and having my favorite aunt take me on Space Mountain in WDW. I don't remember the ride too much but I was terrified. I told her I never ever ever wanted to go on that ride again. lol I have been back countless times since then and I do ride it now!
Jen

cindyrellinut
04-25-2007, 09:12 AM
I remember when I was 6 years old in 1981 riding the Wedway People Mover (now Tomorrowland Transit Authority) with my mother. It isn't one of the greater thrill rides but still a goodie for me. In all of my trips since I always make sure I take a ride. Now the best part is taking my kids on with my mother. :mickey:

Khfan13
04-25-2007, 10:27 AM
I remember riding the Monorail to the Magic Kingdom and being on Main Street seeing the Dwarves:thedolls: . Then Splash Mountain:D , the Haunted Mansion and It's a Small World. I also remember the Beauty and the Beast stage show at MGM Studios. And the wave pool at Typhoon Lagoon and the fountains at Downtown Disney...

-Good Times:cloud9:

ibrowse17
04-25-2007, 10:36 AM
First trip I was seven, and I remember SM and the old Mission to Mars most of all. Small World comes in a close second, mainly because of the song!:mickey:

battle beast
04-25-2007, 12:08 PM
Everyone has such different memories! It's all so intersting!!!

Figgyluv03
04-25-2007, 12:15 PM
The monorail into the Magic Kingdom.

jpcns50
04-25-2007, 01:01 PM
For me, I remember three things from my first ever trip from when I was 4.

1. Riding Space Mountain as my 1st ever Disney Ride, and it will always be the 1st ride of my trip!!

2. I remember the Delta Dreamflight from Tomorrow Land.

3. My first time on Haunted Mansion, when the CM opened the door, they said, " WE NEED MORE BODIES" and I know I was so scared I cried and didn't want to go in!! My mom still laughs about that to this day!:mickey:

tinksmom02
04-25-2007, 09:57 PM
Memories from first WDW trip, Dec 1987, 11 years old:

Spaceship Earth (my mom, dad, and baby bro in the front, me and littler bro,9, in back. Little bro, afraid of roller coasters, FREAKED out when we started to go up. What goes up must come down, right? tried climbing out of the car, etc. Up to me to calm him down. And I wasn't even that fond of him back then LOL)

Space Mountain--not being allowed to ride it, that is! Mom and Dad didn't think I could handle it. Forget that I rode loop-de-loop coaster at other parks LOL What a thrill to ride it after waiting NINETEEN YEARS!

the Figment ride at Epcot (Journey into Imagination?)

biodtl
04-25-2007, 10:42 PM
As a child way back in the 70's I remember most clearly the tram from the parking lot (to me that was a pretty coll "ride"), the monorail (I was fascinated that it went into the Contemporary) and the ride I remember the most was If You Had Wings.

jenperich
04-26-2007, 08:46 PM
My very first memory of Disney was riding 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea. I was with my mom and seeing the area now just brings back such great memories and a tear to my eye.

laward32
04-26-2007, 08:51 PM
I don't know if I actually remember being on this ride or if its only because my mom has a picture of me. I think I was too young to have it as a memory, but it was POTC at Disneyland. I think the first ride I actually have a memory of would be the teacups and Dumbo and The Storybook Canal (I think that's what it is called). I also remember having to buy ticket books and each ride had different letters (??) for which ticket you needed. Does anybody else remember this? Anyway those are my memories. This is a great topic.:mickey: :thumbsup:
My first ride at WDW was my first trip in 2004 and was POTC (of course).

January-2007
04-26-2007, 09:00 PM
My earliest ride memory is from Horizons in 1991. My dad's company sponsored the ride so we got to go into this special room after the ride was over and it was a Superbowl party. Really random memories there, but I know I remember it because I don't think there are any pictures of it so it couldn't just be that I've seen pictures. I remember sitting in the ride and the doors of the ride and what some of the stuff looked like. I was 6 years old.

DH's earliest memory is very scattered because he was only a toddler, but he swears he remembers riding Spaceship Earth. He has memories of that, of Tomorrowland at night, and of the two hotels his family stayed at on their one and only trip- the Contemporary and the Polynesian. Can you believe it? It was so surreal for him to see all these things on our last two trips this year, his first and second since he was tiny! It was so cool. :mickey:

Funniest thing for me is I remember when we went to Disneyland when I was 5, but I don't really remember the park as much as I remember the offsite hotel we stayed at. I slept on the floor. Family of 5, I'm the baby, what can I say?

Great thread, by the way, I love reading all this retro stuff about first memories, lots of fun.

WED1901
04-27-2007, 08:54 AM
I remember walking towards Delta Dream Flight in Tomorrowland. I can remember it was at night and there were no lines only the hostess standing out front. As we got closer she picked me up and just hugged me. I remember I was so embarrassed :blush: .

indytraveler
04-27-2007, 11:12 AM
My fondest memory was with my grandmother riding Snow White's scary adventures. I was probably 4 at the time as was scared out of my wits. My grandmother just laughed all the way thru the ride. When I took my kids on it for the first time I warned them that it may be scary. Well 25 years later they didn't think so and I still get teased about it. Oh well it's my memory that will stay with me (and has) for the rest of my life.

carribeanpirate5
04-27-2007, 12:32 PM
If You Had Wings, sponsored by Eastern Airlines.