PDA

View Full Version : Amish land near Philadelphia

thrillme
04-18-2007, 09:32 AM
I was really hoping to visit the Amish areas when we visit Pennsylvania this summer. Lancaster is too far out of the way to go there. We'll be coming from Gettysburg and plan on stopping somewhere near Philadelphia for the evening (our final stop will be Cleveland).

Any ideas about some touristy little Amish towns along the way?

robhink
04-18-2007, 11:26 AM
There's really no Amish land close into Philadelphia, it's all pretty much in Lancaster County. And the stuff that's there really isn't small time touristy. Now after saying that Lancaster really isn't that far out of the way, you could take US-30 east out of Gettysburg, it's a divided road until York and then a highway east of there. I'm from Eastern PA so I can help with any questions you might have.

castlegirl
04-18-2007, 09:01 PM
As robhink stated, Lancaster County would be your best bet to visit "Amish Country". Gettysburg is not that far from the city of Lancaster. Route 30West will take you from Gettysburg to Lancaster to Phila.

There is much to do around Lancaster, but it's very touristy. Outlet shopping and a small amusement park for kids called "Dutch Wonderland" in right in Lancaster. Close by is Hershey, PA home to chocolate and HersheyPark.

There is also a very cute town, Intercourse PA, where you can get a horse and buggy ride, make a pretzel in a pretzel factory and see the places where "Witness" (with Harrison Ford) was filmed.

Go to www.800padutch.com or www.padutchcountry.com for a good overview.

Hope this helps! We live about an hour away and visit Lancaster frequently.

baldburke
04-18-2007, 09:45 PM
I would also suggest the Stasburg Railroad. The website is: www.strasburgrailroad.com. In addition to the train ride, they also have a nice adjoining train museum.

Hershey is a bit far from Philly with the ride being about 2 hours. But it is probably one of the cleanest and nicest theme parks I've been to outside Disney.

Dutch Wonderland is good for maybe only the 6 and under set. After that, forget it.

But there it plenty to do in Philly if you've never been. Go to Old City and see where the fore fathers signed the Declaration if Independence and see the Liberty Bell. South Street is close to Old City and is good for people watching and shopping. Or go to Pat's for a real Philly Cheese Steak.

Good luck!

imaprincess!
04-19-2007, 03:40 AM
Lancaster is your best bet if you're looking for the Amish!

BTW, if you are going to any tourist attractions in Philadelphia, be sure to plan in advance. Some of the attractions like Independence Hall and Liberty Bell only give out a limited amount of tickets for the day, so you have to get there in the morning to get one.

Have fun!:thumbsup:

thrillme
04-19-2007, 04:58 PM
Hmmm...Maybe planning on seeing some of the Philedelphia sites might be worth it. Lancaster might be a bit out of the way since from Philadelphia we head to Cleveland. I think Lancaster to Cleveland it a good 7 hour drive. That might be a bit much for just me and an 11 year old.

Whew...planning all this can be more challenging than making ADR's at Disney.

I'm really absorbing everybody's advice...and boy oh boy does this little Texas girl needs it. So please keep it coming.

Up yonder looks so neat and so full of history I'm really looking forward to exploring it.

CPT Trips
04-21-2007, 12:37 PM
Do I read your plan correctly? From Gettysburg to Phila to Cleveland. If that is your route, you will pass through (actually near to) Lancaster (Amish Area) twice . . . once Gettysburg to Phila and again Phila to Cleveland.

If you can reroute, you can fairly easily combine Gettysburg and Lancaster when you go from Phila to Cleveland. Lancaster is about 1 1/2 to 2 hours from Phila and Gettysburg is another 1 or so. Then you should only have a 5 1/2 to 6 hour drive to Cleveland. A lot depends on how much time you have alloted to each leg.

Yes, there is a lot to see in the Amish country, but it is also an area that you can take a scenic drive through. Get off the main roads, be prepared to go slowly and observe. You will probably meet up with the horse-drawn buggies, so slow is very real.

Sportster
04-23-2007, 08:27 AM
The section of route 30 around Dutch Wonderland is good for modern accomodations, restaurants and shopping. If you travel north or south of that area you will be outside of the tourist area and in the Amish country. North is Intercourse and Bird in Hand (Route 340). A little further north in the area between Rt 340 and Rt 23 is THE Amish country. No tourism, just miles of farmland and Amish families.
To the south, Strasburg, which has a very cool train ride and other train related tourist stops. Further south below Strasburg is more farmland and Amish. Also, East on Rt 741 is more farmland.
Lititz, north of Lancaster, (Rt 501) is a very nice "walking" town. Small shops, beautiful park and Wilbur Chocolate factory...(home of Wilbur buds!! Better than Hershey kisses in my opinion).
Hope you get to enjoy this beautiful area!!!

NJGIRL
04-23-2007, 12:51 PM
If you decide to stay in Lancaster.... Intercourse has a nice hotel called the Bird in Hand. Nothing fancy but nice and clean with a nice pool. Lancaster is a weekend trip for us. Take a ride on the Strausburg Railroad. Check out the wonderful Bible stories playing at the Sights and Sounds Theater.

But if you can't do Lancaster and Philly IMO I would stick with Philly. Sooooooooo much to do there. History you can't see anywhere else. The Liberty Bell, Independence Hall, Betsy Ross House, The Lights of Liberty Show, a really great Art Museum, the mint and a ton of great restaurants.