PDA

View Full Version : Why is it so full May 4th?!?!?

wgs105
04-17-2007, 10:11 PM
We were trying to add another room at Pop Century for a friend to stay with us on our trip May 4th and were told all of the value resorts are sold out!

Anyone know why it's so busy? Yes I know it's Disney but I wasn't expecting things to be sold out.

lockedoutlogic
04-17-2007, 10:31 PM
Walt Disney Resorts average around 99% occupancy for the entire year....

yeah...they're THAT busy.....

My guess in this case is an influx of Florida Residents there for Flower and Garden Festival..and because it's just a really nice time of year there....

Keep trying...cancellations happen

chicade88
04-17-2007, 11:11 PM
Does this mean larger crowds? I was expecting crowds but not summer-like ones. We'll be there during that time as well.

Darbylew
04-17-2007, 11:16 PM
We are going May 29. I hope it is not so busy
then. Can't wait to get back in the land of
MICKEY :mickey: and the MAGIC :magic:

JoDisney
04-17-2007, 11:24 PM
Walt Disney World is on the complete upswing. Any time of the year the rooms go like hotcakes. It is incredible. May 29 is guaranteed to be busy. That is Memorial Day week. Also, Gay Days at Disney starts May 29.

MdmMim
04-18-2007, 08:02 AM
That's the start of the Minnie Marathon weekend, too. The 5K and 1 mile are on Saturday, May 5, and the 15K is on Sunday. :thumbsup:

mrsgaribaldi
04-18-2007, 08:42 AM
We've been going at this time for the last few years and it's not that bad. Epcot is really nice this time of year:thumbsup:

Figment!
04-18-2007, 09:26 AM
Cinco De Mayo Crowds? :marg::sombrero::marg:

Jeff G
04-18-2007, 09:34 AM
Pop is also the most popular value and values are the most requested resorts. You also have to remember that not all the days you are there may be full at Pop but if one is(example-Saturday) and you ask for a block with that day included you'll be told it's full.

Ian
04-18-2007, 09:40 AM
Walt Disney Resorts average around 99% occupancy for the entire year....Sorry ... that's not even close to accurate. They average around 86% occupancy as reported in their annual report to stockholders.

To the OP's point, I think it's locals coming in for the Flower and Garden Festival. That drags a lot of crowds in during the first few weeks.

Anyway, you can have our room at Pop. We're checking out on the 4th. ;)

KylesMom
04-18-2007, 10:32 AM
The National Hardware Show is in Orlando May 8-10, with setup beginning on May 3rd. Similar to the International Builders Show in February, this event is being held at the Orange County Convention Center and is HUGE. My corporate travel department had a heckuva time trying to find rooms for under $300 in all of Orlando from May 4 - 11th. I suggested Disney hotels, and they couldn't find anything except deluxe open. So it's possible that while Orlando itself may be overrun by conventioneers, Disney may not be as crowded as the hotel situation suggests. :mickey:

DisneyDudet
04-18-2007, 05:29 PM
Cinco De Mayo Crowds? :marg::sombrero::marg:

Jason.. I think we know what's on the brain...:beer: :marg:

It could be the day you tried. They usually don't say that the other days of your stay are available, just the night you begin your stay.

Its probably a mixture of things... it could be the Festival, the Minnie Marathon, among other things.

You could always try moving the date a little to see if its better.

As far as later in May, we usually go then. The crowds to pick up as you go, and it can seem crowded by the middle of the first week of June. As far as Gay Days are concerned, they tend to have one day for MK, so many those attending the Orlando area's festivities go there. Last time we went, we did Epcot that day without any problem, and even did MK in the evening and it wasn't too bad.

momof2munkies
04-19-2007, 06:27 PM
I had this same problem just trying to add a day to our trip! I called back the next morning and was able to get the extra day. Reservations cancel at midnight, so try first thing in the morning and see if your luck changes!

Danielle:mickey:

lockedoutlogic
04-19-2007, 10:22 PM
Sorry ... that's not even close to accurate. They average around 86% occupancy as reported in their annual report to stockholders.

To the OP's point, I think it's locals coming in for the Flower and Garden Festival. That drags a lot of crowds in during the first few weeks.

Anyway, you can have our room at Pop. We're checking out on the 4th. ;)

Sorry...."some" WDW resorts average 99% occupancy for the year.....

But don't take my word for it....keep reading the annual report to stockholders :number1:

AliceinDisney
04-19-2007, 10:55 PM
I think if you wait too close to the date you want, its going to fill up. I always think its wise to book a couple months in advance for any hotel just to be on the safe side. April and May are probably some of the busiest times at Disney too. I stayed at Port Orlean's Riverside first week of April three years ago, and I can tell you that my Dad booked it for me like two weeks before the actual trip and it wasnt a problem and we got the Magnolia Bend room my mom and I wanted. It worked out fine. I guess it all depends on your luck and how close to the actual date you're booking. I think the Value resorts are likely to book up more quickly because they're more affordable.

Dracula766
04-20-2007, 01:19 AM
Thats STAR WARS DAY
:yoda: :darth: :trooper: :ewok: :chew:

May the Fourth be with you...
:funny::funny::funny:

rsumrall
04-20-2007, 01:47 AM
Thats STAR WARS DAY
:yoda: :darth: :trooper: :ewok: :chew:

May the Fourth be with you...
:funny::funny::funny:

Somebody cracks themselves up... You should be on the Monster's Inc. Comedy Floor! :wave:

stitch34
04-20-2007, 09:38 PM
We tried to see if we could add a room a couple days ago and we were able to get it so I would keep trying. Also, it may just be that weekend for the marathon and not the entire time you are on your trip. I believe Star Wars Days are starting later this year (later in May and June). We were also wondering if you were trying to use a discount code. They have limited rooms available for the codes and it could that those are all booked up, but there are rooms available if not using a code.

We have gone the past 2 years in early May and the crowds weren't that bad. We love this time of year and will be going again in 16 days!!!

LizLovesDiz
04-21-2007, 11:39 AM
We arrive on May 3rd and are leaving May 8th.I was hoping that it wasn't really crowded.We usually go in Oct. :mickey:

dolphinmickey9170
04-21-2007, 08:54 PM
We are checking in May 6th and I asked if we could get early check in. I was told that SSR was completely full and since check out isn't until 11am, we would not be able to get in our room early at all. So it surely sounds like it will be a busy time. In the past, the first week or two of May isn't that bad because schools haven't let out yet. I have also been near the end of May into June and once in July, these were both busy. But it is hit or miss, you just never know.

13 days and counting

goofygirl67
04-22-2007, 04:26 PM
I know there is a convention on May 6th with people staying at the Lake Buena Vista resort and Spa. My sister will be coming down on the 4th and I will meet her there for the weekend, then I'll go on my 8 night vacation just 20 days later.

wendy*darling
04-22-2007, 05:37 PM
Another reason you may be told that a resort is "full" is staffing.
It may not mean every room in the whole resort has occupants, but they do not have the housekeeping, etc. staff to maintain more rooms.
May 4th is early, and before the influx of summer staff arrives.

But keep trying. You might get it after all.