PDA

View Full Version : Newsletter 04/16

chrisb26
04-17-2007, 08:24 AM
4/16 – Get your VMK news straight from the source! This week Yavn opens the mail bag and answers your questions.

Good afternoon! Thanks for joining me once again for the VMK 411. It's a crazy busy time in the office since we're all getting ready for a trip to Walt Disney World later this week – for that reason, Yavn Speaks may be a bit shorter than usual, but it's still loaded with good info.

It's actually been a while since the team has traveled to Orlando so we're all looking forward to that – there's lots of cool stuff to do and Quests to create. While we're in Florida we'll also be working on finalizing the plan for the next build (which I am proud to say – is going to be awesome!!). But let's get back to the present and chat about what's going on in VMK now:

Dark Rides: Part Two

Have you been enjoying those dark rides? Right now you can win the Mad Tea Party Pin by pulling the Sword out of the Stone, so be sure to take a ride on Alice in Wonderland or Peter Pan's Flight for a chance to win – good luck!

Action! Adventure! And crocodiles! This ride has it all!

As I've mentioned before you can win the first 3 Alice Dark Ride pieces starting April 27th during our first Dark Ride-A-Thon. And starting in May we'll be releasing the tracks along with the Alice ride vehicles! More details are coming soon, but remember to keep watching the Event Info section here on the Newsletter page for the full scoop!

You Ask, Yavn Answers!

We haven't opened the old mail bag in a while, so how about some VMK Q&A?

Q: Nice to see the first of the Dark Ride items on the way, but what about the tracks?

A: The tracks are on the way! Starting in May we'll be releasing pieces so you can build your own dark rides! First will be the Alice vehicle launcher (or track starter) along with a nice selection of other track pieces.

Q: You mentioned the new Tomorrowland Quest and the new TL Quest reward card would be out soon – any update?

A: Sorry for the delay! We're working hard to get them in your hands – but the Tomorrowland Quest (and another new Quest) is coming very soon!

Q: Since you couldn't travel to Asia a few weeks ago is your trip canceled?

A: Right now it's just on hold. Hopefully I'll get to travel to Tokyo and Hong Kong in May or June.

Q: Peter Pan and Alice look great, but how about Mr. Toad's Wild Ride or Snow White's Scary Adventure?

A: Right now we're watching the players reactions to the Dark Rides. If the reception is really positive we'll look into adding more, so if you like them, let us know!

Q: I love the Alice Tea Cup Pin you win from the Sword In The Stone, are more on the way?

A: Yes! We have other cool prizes on the way, maybe more Fantasyland-inspired pins?

Q: Hey Yavn, what happened to your Club 33 Party? I want to go!!!

A: Yeah, what did happen to my Club 33 Party??? Yo Koala, let's get that party started!

Q: Can I please have a free Inferno?

A: Sorry, no.

Q: Pleeeeeeeease!!

A: Sorry, but the answer is still no&

Q: What if I trade you a Turn Into Bat Magic Pin?

A: Sorry, I can't trade you an Inferno Pin!!

Q: Could you please give away some Inferno pins for prizes?

A: Now there's an idea! I'll tell the HOSTs to give out 50 Inferno Pins this week – and I mean the good ones, not the Single Use variety!

Inferno – a Magic Pin so hot, it's on fire!

Churro vs. Turkey Leg: Round One

Well I better get packing for my trip to Walt Disney World. Lots to do while we're there – including finishing off a brand new Quest as well as working on the new game updates – but I'll tell you all about that next week, and I'll also have some very special news about a wonderful player and his special wish!

Now the question is what to eat first…Churro or Turkey Leg?

See you in VMK!
Yavn

Patricia
04-17-2007, 05:19 PM
Wow, it's been awhile since they handed out inferno.

Good Luck everyone!

I still think they should take an icot representitive to WDW (I'd be happy to volunteer.) We are always spotting their boo boos, taking one of us could save them some trouble..

WDWfanatic742
04-17-2007, 05:51 PM
Hopefully they will start passing out more of these pins. Will hopefully finally bring down the value of them. Too long and it's too popular of a pin to hold on to and not release for so long. Green flips I understand why though.

mickeytinkerbellprincess
04-17-2007, 11:46 PM
Q: Could you please give away some Inferno pins for prizes?

A: Now there's an idea! I'll tell the HOSTs to give out 50 Inferno Pins this week – and I mean the good ones, not the Single Use variety!

Yavn I love you!! :D Wahhhhh! Me want more inferno :thedolls:

Blue Genie
04-18-2007, 01:51 AM
I'll get more inferno's then u Doll. Then I can double Inferno u heehee:D

varcity
04-18-2007, 02:33 AM
How long has it been gone?

And with 74 people into the staff room in 60 minutes today, I think it will still be just as rare as before!

Chescat
04-18-2007, 02:48 AM
It's not just being handed out in staff room. PinkJJ got hers in the Fantasyland Courtyard today. :)

According to my pin list, last time it was given out was 3/31/07. Question was whether it was really retired or not at that time.

The topic of whether it is rare or not with what is given out. I believe a good portion of the people that have inferno have keep theirs. Since its been a year, the majority of people that were going to trade what they won has pretty much subsided. True its being traded daily. But when you add these 50 new people, a certain percentage will put it out there right away. So in a sense there should be more out there to be traded, at least for a little while.

mickeytinkerbellprincess
04-18-2007, 10:53 AM
It's not just being handed out in staff room. PinkJJ got hers in the Fantasyland Courtyard today. :)

Gasps :jaw:

Maybe I do have a chance then :D Did she get it out of the Sword in the Stone or out of the rides? :)

varcity
04-18-2007, 11:54 AM
According to my pin list, last time it was given out was 3/31/07. Question was whether it was really retired or not at that time.

You mean 2006? Has it really been a year? It doesn't seem like it.

chrisb26
04-18-2007, 11:59 AM
Gasps :jaw:

Maybe I do have a chance then :D Did she get it out of the Sword in the Stone or out of the rides? :)
I believe she had just walked off the ride and then Phinny was in the room and told everybody to stand still because somebody was getting inferno.

You mean 2006? Has it really been a year? It doesn't seem like it.
That is what I was thinking. Unless she meant single use Inferno.

Chescat
04-18-2007, 12:19 PM
That was my mistake, I'm under the weather with this darn cold so just found the first one on the list. It was the single use. I'm not sure now when they stopped giving it out in Host games, I'll have to research it. But it was about a year ago I think.

Not to pop anybody's bubble here, but what I am hoping is that Phinny wouldn't be picking anybody that's known to have Inferno. It would be nicer if its given to people that have never had it before. :)

Patricia
04-18-2007, 01:32 PM
It hasn't been given in staff rooms for almost a year.. maybe, but it was a "Best Room" prize up until Club 33 came along.

Blue Genie
04-18-2007, 02:20 PM
Not to pop anybody's bubble here, but what I am hoping is that Phinny wouldn't be picking anybody that's known to have Inferno. It would be nicer if its given to people that have never had it before. :)

Cat that is what I'm thinking to. The staff will not give it out to people that already have it. It wouldn't be fair. I do believe they will give people that don't have one the change.

Cough... ice...cough

Chescat
04-18-2007, 03:45 PM
After much research, found out it was last given out in the Slide Event for the Grand Prize winners (1st week of August). So I will amend the pin list to show date of slide event, that it was last given out for Best Room/Game/Quest on 1/8, and is being awarded by Hosts starting this week. :D

mickeynuts
04-18-2007, 04:42 PM
It hasn't been part of the best room prize for a long time. I know Ariella and Pad got it when they won about two months after beta, but I think they took it out not too long after that.

Also my friend who won the inferno today told me that Phinny explained it. She chooses a room at random, tells everybody to stand still, closes her eyes and moves her mouse around. Whoever is closest to her pointer when she stops wins. So it is random, not a choice the host makes. I'm sure some that already have it will win it again, if they made a decision based on who had it it wouldn't be random, and random is the only fair way.

:) Laura

varcity
04-18-2007, 07:06 PM
So the odds are: Many rooms, multiple instances, 5000+ on at a time.... Carry the two... slim to none? :mickey:

I say we find Pinkjj and have a little chat... :mickey:

WDWfanatic742
04-18-2007, 10:29 PM
Pretty much it is the chance of getting picked for a stay in the Cinderella Castle Suite. Except instead of 6 people (or is it 4) people being able to stay in the suite vs 50 people who don't have inferno getting it.

Chescat
04-19-2007, 02:29 AM
Losing your touch there Fan. We used to get better statistics out of you.

How many public rooms in VMK (not including Monorail Stations)?
9 - Main Street
12 - Adventureland
7 - New Orleans Square (not included Club 33, but included all 3 HM rooms inside)
9 - Frontierland (including 2 Big Thunder maze rooms)
11 - Fantasyland (not including inside the rides)
11 - Tomorrowland (including Inner-Space Ray Room & Inner-Space Shop - would they though?)

How many days its being given out? 7

How many infernos given out? 50

Okay somebody figure out the math? :blush:

So far, I've heard yesteday, Fantasyland Courtyard mid day (Phinny), Pirate Lobby at night (Lily), This Way That Way Host Room (Phinny), and whatever room that Cita saw it in??

Any other sightings?

chrisb26
04-19-2007, 08:17 AM
Hmm. How many different players do you think play vmk in a single week? I know there are always people's mules on so I guess you could probably count them as well. Lets just say that there are only
8000 different players that play during the week.
50 Infernos given out

That leaves you with a
.6% chance that you will be the one chosen to get an inferno. Ouch.

That is also only saying that there are only 8000 different players that play every week. Im not sure of the actual amount since there are always at least 5000-6000 people on in the evenings I can't say if those same people play every day or not. That number could be higher.

WDWfanatic742
04-19-2007, 06:44 PM
If anything I'd guess to more 15,000 per week. With the regular's and once a weekers, plus since there are 5000-7000 people on at any time during the day (Besides morning and night).

Hey cat, you also forgot all of the instances in those rooms as well.

mickeytinkerbellprincess
04-19-2007, 07:33 PM
That leaves you with a
.6% chance that you will be the one chosen to get an inferno. Ouch.

Ouch indeed :( It hurts.