PDA

View Full Version : MNSSHP Gone Downhill?? Any Opinions

crazeedizneefinatic
04-16-2007, 03:37 PM
Maybe it's just me, maybe I have attended this event too much. But last years event IMHO went downhill. Even though you do get more candy (we skipped alot of staions) than anyone can eat most of it was stale? I remember past parties being given a nice photo sent to you once you got home. Did I miss this last year?? Last year they used the photopass to put your photo's on. Nothing special. And the main photo op was mickey as a giant ghost when you first enter main street. Any opinions? Am I just burned out for this event? We are going to WDW this year again at the same time and everyone in our party suggested to skip the party, even my 6 year old that LOVES Halloween. We just don't think it's worth the extra ticket price. Am I missing something?:confused:

faline
04-16-2007, 03:48 PM
I went for the first time two years ago and had a great time but have nothing to compare it to.

It's my understanding that Dinsey no longer offers the family photos at any of their after hours parties - only photpass shots.

Ian
04-16-2007, 03:50 PM
I think it's worth the money. I mean you figure how much are the tickets? Like $45 and you get 3 or 4 hours access to the Magic Kingdom after hours included in that. Plus all the other extras ... free candy, dance party, special fireworks, special characters, free photo, etc.

You'd pay $45 without thinking about it to go to a concert for 2 hours or see a sporting event. Which is more "worth" the money?

I was at last year's MNSSHP and we had a blast. I thought the parade was great, I love the Boo to You music, and my DD4 had an incredible time trick or treating. Not to mention the fireworks were great (although I will admit I don't think they were as good as the prior year's).

I'll be down in October for the INTERCOT 10th and if there's an MNSSHP while we're there I'll definitely attend.

epcot3
04-16-2007, 04:09 PM
I agree, it seems like they are charging more and giving less. We have gone in 2003, 04, 05 and 06 to MNSSHP. In 2006, the rates went up, there was NO free picture for each person in your party. A photopass picture is NOT a free pic. Also, last year, the newly refurbished riverboat was not used for the party. It was just a trick or treat station. All this to say, I agree that it was not up to par with the previous years, in my opinion. We had a good time, put the previous years were a better value for the $$$. :(

DVC2004
04-16-2007, 04:17 PM
I think it's worth it. It's the only Halloween event at WDW, plus the candy and the chance to dress up, and the short wait for rides. And let's not forget the Headless Horsman (me and my boys are big fans). I actually think MVMCP is not worth it- because all the parks pretty much have special decorations and things going on for Christmas, and the resorts are decorated. Other than the special parade I didn't really think that was as unique and I probably wouldn't do that one again.

Pirate Granny
04-16-2007, 10:08 PM
We went in 2005 for the first time and had a great time...I will admit I thought that 2006 fireworks were not as good as the year before. And I missed the pictures too...I thought that because we did the first party, maybe they were not ready to do the 'better' fireworks or pictures...We did get a 50% off the photopass pix for that evening...and the picture by the coach outside of the haunted house had one of the hitching ghost driving...it was cute...however, no dry ice that night to fog up the pre-show area either...now that I think about it. We are going this year and taking our new grandchildren (yep,,, 1 yr and 8 months) for a family tradition...hopefully we'll enjoy it...we're staying at the Pop and will hit the last weekend in Sept so we can do the Food & Wine Festival too... :pirate:

Olga
04-17-2007, 04:35 AM
We've been there last year and it was real disappointment :( . This year we decided to avoid this event.

Dicecatt262
04-17-2007, 09:28 AM
Last year was the first party I attended, so I'm not sure if it went downhill, but I enjoyed it a lot. We went to the second party, and the rides were all walk ons all night. Lines for candy were long, but the kids got a lot while sitting waiting for the parade, CMs were walking up and down the street handing out candy. I thought the parade was awesome, and the fireworks were cool. The price for that many hours isn't bad...you can enter MK around 4, and then stay until midnight. That is 8 hours of park for the price. And my kids LOVE dressing up in costume and seeing everyone else dressed up, there is something extra magical about dressing in costume at the Magic Kingdom.

Belle_0717
04-17-2007, 01:27 PM
I have attended twice - 1999 and 2005. In 1999, I was with my sister and we had a lot of fun. There seemed to be more to do - more characters to pose with and LESS PEOPLE!

In 2005, on my Disneymoon, my sister and her husband joined us for MNNSHP. It was the first time for my DH. We enjoyed it but there was something missing from my first visit. There were MORE PEOPLE and less Disney magic IMO.

We will be down again this October for my nephew's first visit. As much as I would love to bring him, he will only be 1 year old by then. I do not think it is worth the money for 6 of us plus him to go. Half the candy was thrown away - there is only so much you can eat.

At MVMCP, the atmosphere was different. And you got hot chocolate and cookies. I have to take DH to this before we have kids.

I'm with you. Will skip this one. Maybe they can bring the magic back.

CanadianWDWFan
04-17-2007, 01:36 PM
We are going to go for the first time this year. Since we have nothing to compare this to, we'll have to take your word for it. It makes me sad to hear that others feel that Disney is losing its magic.

I have always wanted to go and see the Headless Horseman ride down Main Street! :pumpkin: My DW even got me to agree to get dressed up! :jaw:

LizLovesDiz
04-17-2007, 06:49 PM
My DD and I have gone 3 times so far and it is really fun ! The headless horseman is my favorite part! :mickey:

prttynpnk
04-18-2007, 07:32 AM
I think, like everythingelse, the crowd levels depend on when you go- we went last year- mid october and never waited for a ride, had great character interaction and were close enough that characters grabbed at us during the parade. It'sdefinitely worth the money to us- we won't miss it now!
So Boo to you!

Jeff G
04-18-2007, 10:06 AM
We went to MNSSHP for four years running and each year there has been a little less magic with a lot more crowd.

I've been told by CM's that they offer only so many tickets to make the crowds managable but last year I know that wasn't the case. THe party started at 7:00 and about :15 minutes before the start of the party announcements were made that the party had been oversold and would be crowded and for those interested they could get replacement tickets for another date. For us this was the only day during our trip there was a MNSSHP so we stuck it out. WOW, it was the fullest I've ever seen the MK. Hour waits for character photo's, just to get the candy took us 5-10 minutes and even the rides had long waits(20minutes for IASW and 60 for SM).

I beleive if you go in October once they start offering this twice per week the crowds are much more managable than early on.

The experience of MNSSHP is one of the best Disney experiences because of the parade, fireworks, shows and dressed up characters. But the quality of the party has gone down each year, no question.

Because of fear of crowds like last year we will be saving our money this September and not be going back.

darthmacho
04-18-2007, 12:37 PM
I can't speak on the decline, since I haven't been since 1999, but I recall being a little disappointed in the whole thing. Don't get me wrong, the parade itself was probably worth it, and going to Haunted Mansion on Halloween was cool, but the night we went we had already been to MK three nights in a row, and my wife wasn't thrilled about going on so many repeat rides. (I loved that part.) I din't think the fireworks was different enough to impress me, and the show was more of a holiday show than a Halloween show. :scarecrow

The highlight was definitely the parade. I think there was trick or treating back then, but with two adults, we didn't bother.

We also went to the other park's Halloween event, and found that much better for adults. Vary scary and fun. :frank:

Mickey91
04-19-2007, 11:51 AM
We are going to go for the first time this year. Since we have nothing to compare this to, we'll have to take your word for it. It makes me sad to hear that others feel that Disney is losing its magic.

I have always wanted to go and see the Headless Horseman ride down Main Street! :pumpkin: My DW even got me to agree to get dressed up! :jaw:

I think you will love it!! Since you don't have a comparrison, you won't feel like you've been let down. There are just some things that used to be a part of it, like free photos, that have been omitted.

DisneyorNothing
04-19-2007, 12:21 PM
We went last year -- We are a family of 5 (children are teenagers). I think we had high expectations because everyone said it was soo cool. And it was but I don't think we had the right attitude. The decorations were really neat and you do not see them during the day. CM were in halloween attire which adds to the night. The music was very unique to Halloween. We did not dress in costume. If we ever go back for this, we will. Everyone (almost) was in costume of some type. I think if you are, you will get more out of the night. You have to go with the expectation that it's a party -- not a day at a theme park. You have to stop and enjoy the sights, sounds and people around you. We didn't do this. We got back what we put into it and that was a mediocre at best.

Out children were older and it was harder for them to "get into the mood" -- I think it was more "teenager attitude" than the actual event. I saw a ton of little kids just in their glory having a blast. They had the right mind set.

I don't think it's losing it's magic -- I think you have to add the ingredients to the magic to experience it to it's fullest.

Go, enjoy, be a kid :mickey:

disneyfunatics
04-20-2007, 12:45 PM
I've been twice. I enjoyed it both times, but it seemed ALOT more crowded this past year. But heck, the Headless Horseman ALONE is worth the price of admission.!:mickey: :mickey: :mickey:

Simply Mary
04-22-2007, 02:57 PM
I tend to agree with you...we have attended for the last three years and maybe it is just me but I don't seem to enjoy it as much anymore. We will be there this year but not planning to attend. It was very crowded last year and once the "headless horseman" has passed (which is very fast), I am ready to leave.

Nevergrowup
04-22-2007, 10:32 PM
We love it and that's all I have to say.

MushuGrl
04-23-2007, 12:45 PM
This will be my first year as well!

How early can you purchase tickets for the event, and how accessible are the villians?

biodtl
04-24-2007, 08:43 PM
I went for the first time last year and though I have nothing to compare it to, I loved it! The whole group of us dressed up and had a blast (dh & 2yo dd were Belle & Beast and got tons of attention from characters and cms). The lines were short for both candy and rides. The onlt disappointment was that the disney website mentioned free photos, which we did not get. Still, we're going back in 08 and plan on attending again.

Christine
04-24-2007, 08:47 PM
Welcome to Intercot!

I have only gone the past two years, and I absolutely love it! In fact, I prefer it over MVMCP.

DizneyRox
04-25-2007, 07:16 AM
I agree that MNSSHP is a better party than the MVMCP. It used to be better, but it's not terrible. If you are going for a party, then MNSSHP is the one to go for. If you are going for a season, then Xmas is the time to go.