PDA

View Full Version : Your best cleaning tips

sleepingbooty
04-16-2007, 11:44 AM
I'm not a very good housekeeper, but this time of year I get motivated to get everything super clean (this will last until school's out, then I'm on to other things:blush: ) What are your best cleaning tips? I could use them! Especially, does anyone have the secret for getting hard water stains off the toilet? I know, if I cleaned more often, they wouldn't get there in the first place:secret:

d_m_n_n
04-16-2007, 12:28 PM
My best advice is to go to the flylady dot net (I believe) site. They give some fantastic information on keeping your house organized and neat for those of us that struggle in this area. :blush: I can happily say that my house is usually 15 minutes from being "company ready," not perfect but neat enough I'm not embarrassed!

quicksand
04-17-2007, 06:37 PM
Not really a tip, but a new product I found. Its an all purpose cleaner called Fabuloso. It makes everything smell fresh and clean. Even my kids comment on how good the house smells!

JMTStone
04-17-2007, 07:01 PM
I put 1/2 box of baking soda in all of my linens. They're so soft.......

Sorry I have nothing for hard water stains.....

imaprincess!
04-18-2007, 06:36 PM
I have messy closets, but I'm a pretty good cleaner! I think my #1 tip is to surface clean the whole house and get the laundry done. Once you see your house looking nice, you can start to zero in on what really needs to get done, whether it's organizing cabinets/closets, shampooing rugs, etc.

:mop: :dishes:

sleepingbooty
04-19-2007, 05:05 PM
I do have one good tip to share: when it comes to cleaning baseboards, I used to scrub with a sponge. But I always got annoyed with those little dust crumblies that would sort of ball up and get dragged along - you know what I mean? Anyway, I found that using a dry washcloth or towel, preferably a rough one (like one that has gotten wet and then air dried) works really well - no dust crumblies.:thumbsup:

imaprincess!
04-20-2007, 02:32 AM
I know exactly what you mean, Sleepingbooty! Same rule applies to cleaning the blades of ceiling fans!

Tinkerfreak
04-24-2007, 02:58 PM
Step 1: Get off of Intercot
Step 2: Pick up broom and sweep
Step 3: After a few minutes pick up the phone and call Merry Maids
Step 4: Resume Intercot
I for one would be a much better housekeeper if I had not discovered Intercot and I think a housekeeper would be the easiest way to keep the house clean.
;)

QTPie68
04-25-2007, 01:12 AM
I for one would be a much better housekeeper if I had not discovered Intercot and I think a housekeeper would be the easiest way to keep the house clean.
;)

Amatuers! :nono:

Marry a man with OCD....your house will be sparkling AND you will still have plenty of time for Intercot :secret:

Thank you.......Thank you... :encore:
I am here every Wed at 1:00 am if you need any other advice....:goof:

magicofdisney
04-27-2007, 01:43 PM
Amatuers! :nono:

Marry a man with OCD....your house will be sparkling AND you will still have plenty of time for Intercot :secret:

Thank you.......Thank you... :encore:
I am here every Wed at 1:00 am if you need any other advice....:goof:
:funny:

My husband is OCD about finances, but not about cleanliness.

I LOVE, LOVE the Mr. Clean magic erasers. They work on just about everything. They are especially great for cleaning soap scum. I don't even need to use chemicals when I use the magic erasers.

I haven't tried flylady yet, although I think I'll visit it when I'm done.

magicofdisney
04-27-2007, 11:03 PM
Especially, does anyone have the secret for getting hard water stains off the toilet? I know, if I cleaned more often, they wouldn't get there in the first place:secret:
My kids' bathroom toilet got really bad at one point :blush:. After my baby got a little older and I had a wee bit more time, I read on another board to use a pumice stone on the toilet bowl. I'm not sure if it will work for hard water stains, but whatever it was on our toilet, it took it off. And I had tried EVERYTHING else to remove those stains. There was a lot of elbow grease involved, but it looks new again!

jacknsally02
04-28-2007, 09:18 AM
mr clean magic sponge cleans anything

sleepingbooty
04-28-2007, 09:24 AM
I read on another board to use a pumice stone on the toilet bowl. I'm not sure if it will work for hard water stains, but whatever it was on our toilet, it took it off.

Wow, seriously? Like the kind you use to rub callouses off your feet? That seems like it would scratch off the ceramic glaze surface - no?

TheDuckRocks
04-29-2007, 09:27 AM
The hardest thing for me to learn about housekeeping was to not clutter. If you don't have a bunch of junk sitting around your whole house just looks cleaner and most people won't notice if you've got a dust bunny or two lurking in the corners.
On the toilet bowl issue I just recently read that a couple of Alka Seltzer tablets works wonders, just a brush and flush and you're done.

magicofdisney
04-29-2007, 12:55 PM
Wow, seriously? Like the kind you use to rub callouses off your feet? That seems like it would scratch off the ceramic glaze surface - no?
That's the one I'm talking about. :thumbsup: I too was scared it would scratch up the bowl, but it didn't.

merlinmagic4
04-29-2007, 04:26 PM
My best cleaning tip is never, ever put the kid's paint cups in the dishwasher. Especially when it is your brand new, first time ever dishwasher. Your whole dishwasher AND all the plastic dishes will remain that same shade of blue and your husband will make fun of you forever :blush:

Magic Smiles
04-29-2007, 05:01 PM
My best cleaning tip is - let you husband do it. My husband does the housework as I can outlast him before I feel that it has to be done. Unfortunately for us, he is a neat freak and we aren't.

missbunny
04-29-2007, 09:35 PM
For hard water stains try Lime-Away, but only a little as the smell is awful.

I use swifter or the store brand sheets for dusting ceiling fans and furniture (dryer sheets work too and leave a nice scent).

For windows nothing beats white vingear and newspaper.

I spray my showers after each use so I don't have a problem with soap build up. I keep a spray bottle of a bleach cleaner under my sink.

To keep glass shower dors from getting a build up, coat them with a lemon oil after cleaning, this will keep most soap scum from sticking.

To keep clutter from taking over I do the following things, I sort the mail next to the garbage can, so junk mail is instantly gone. I wash dishes as I am cooking then there is less to do after each meal. I try to put things away when I am finished using them.

And the best tip, teach your children to help out at a young age. My sons began doing laundry, dishes, vacuuming, and other things as soon as they were able to. I have always said I am not raising sons, I am raising husbands. They are now 20 and 19 and can cook and clean. They will make dinner on nights that I get home late. It is generally quick meals, but at least they are helping.

magicofdisney
05-01-2007, 04:45 AM
The window cleaning comment reminded me of something. I purchased some microfiber clothes and they are the BEST. Just like with Mr. Clean magic erasers, I don't need to use anything but water when cleaning with them. They are fantastic for cleaning windows and mirrors. I use them all the time for everything (except for the occasional magic eraser).

Dixie Springs
05-04-2007, 04:35 PM
Dittos on Mr. Clean's erasers. Also a big Swiffer fan (their dusters & wet mop).

PAYROLL PRINCESS
05-05-2007, 11:50 PM
Use the wrist bands that you use for excercise while washing surfaces to keep the water from running down your arms.
And the alka seltzer for the toilet works too.

And for the tub, soak a papertowel in bleach and put it against the edges of the shower to remove mold stains. And spray the mold on tile showers with a combo of bleach and water.

And make your own clothes stain remover using equal parts ammonia, liquid detergent and water. Just spray and wash. But you might want to spot test first.

MsMin
05-06-2007, 02:36 PM
My cleaning tip is not a product. I am bad about procrastinating when it comes to cleaning. I convince myself I don't have the time to finish so why start. :blush:
I use a kitchen timer and tell myself to spend "x" number of mins doing a certain chore. I am more motivated when under pressure and usually I have the motivation to finish even when time runs out. Crazy but hey it works for me. To do daily maintenance I have a set time for each room. :laundry: :mop: :whew:Then it's on to Intercot.:D

sleepingbooty
05-06-2007, 06:45 PM
I came up with another tip to add. Its not an actual product or method, but its something that actually makes me look forward to cleaning :dizzy:
I dug out my husband's old discman, and I've been borrowing books on cd at the library. I swear, it makes the time fly by, and sometimes I'm left looking around for something else to clean so I don't have to turn off the book! After having the headphones rudely yanked off my head several times, I've learned to thread them up through my shirt, otherwise the wires get caught on things:blush:

DISNEYFIX
05-06-2007, 06:58 PM
Anybody have a good leather couch cleaning tip?