PDA

View Full Version : Harry Potter Land Rumoured for a Universal Orlando Park*Update 4/22/07*

Figment!
04-16-2007, 10:18 AM
5/31/07

Harry Potter "Wizarding World" coming to Universal Islands of Adventure (http://www.intercot.com/discussion/showthread.php?t=106067)

4/22/07

And now for Harry Potter and the wizard theme park...

FIONA GRAY
The Scotsman
April 22, 2007

FANS OF Harry Potter have been dreaming about riding a Nimbus 2000, catching a golden snitch and winning a game of Quidditch since creator JK Rowling invented the sport 10 years ago.

Now aficionados of the boy wizard may not have to wait much longer. Universal Studios is seeking a deal with Rowling to build a $500m Harry Potter mini theme park in Florida.

Rowling is believed to have been in negotiations with Universal Studios since 2005 over potential sites and the park's contents. Earlier talks with Disney, which has a Disneyworld in Orlando, are understood to have fallen through because the giant American leisure corporation wanted total control of the project.

The new Potter land is likely to be incorporated into Universal's existing Islands of Adventure attraction, which already hosts areas themed on Steven Spielberg's Jurassic Park and Marvel comic superheroes. Island of Adventure is close to Universal Studios, the company's main attraction and the third biggest-theme park in America.

Peter Alexander, a former vice president of Universal Studios and founder of a theme park design consultancy, said: "People keep screeching that it's an entirely separate park, but according to Steve Spielberg, who we talked to about it, he says it's going to be a 'land' within the confines of the existing Islands of Adventure theme park. If it's a 'land' it will cost at the very least $500m."

Alexander estimates that Rowling stands to earn up to £9m a year if the park goes ahead, to add to her already colossal £576m fortune.

"If I was negotiating for her I would ask for 5% of the gate fee," he said. "With an attraction like that getting around six million people a year paying £30 per head, that's £180m."

Sources say that both Universal Studios and Rowling, who owns the rights to the Harry Potter franchise, are agreed on the principle of the mini-park, but are still hammering out the details of a settlement.
Alexander, who has previously inquired about the possibility of a Potter theme park on behalf of a client, said: "Either she is a very shrewd businessperson or she is surrounded by people who are."
Once an agreement is reached, the attraction could be built in as little as 18 months.

What attracts theme park companies to the project is the huge, global Potter fan base.
More than 325 million Potter books have been sold around the world, and it has been translated into 62 languages. The final title in the seven-book series, Harry Potter And The Deathly Hallows, will be published on July 21.

Theme park experts believe that like Mickey Mouse and the George Lucas-inspired Star Wars, Pottermania will have longevity. US bookstore Barnes and Noble has already received more than 500,000 pre-orders for the final novel.

Not only will the books continue to appeal to new generations of children, but the associated films have become holiday-time classics. The first four films have grossed £2bn at the box office with three more to follow.

The film of Harry Potter And The Order Of The Phoenix - the fifth novel in the series - will be released on July 13, ensuring maximum publicity for the book launch 10 days later.

Alexander said: "The property [Harry Potter] has legs - he is not going to be less popular in years to come. What is good about it is that it has family appeal and if they put some good rides in to the theme park there will be teenage and young adult appeal too."

Alexander believes making a Harry Potter attraction part of the bigger Islands of Adventure is the right commercial strategy.
"Usually a theme park devoted to one subject doesn't do very well because people want a variety of experiences," he said. "In France they made a Smurf theme park. They expected two million people per year but never got more than 800,000."
It closed last year.

The concept of a Potter attraction stretches back at least four years. At the time, reports suggested Disney approached Rowling with a project, possibly to be built in Singapore.

However, the project fell through. Alexander, also a former employee of Disney, believes it was due to Rowling's reputed protectiveness over her creations. "Disney would not want to cut her in to the action creatively," he said.

It took several years for Rowling to allow the books to be made into films by the Warner Bros studio, for fear of "Americanising" Harry. In 2001 she said: "I'm not against the idea of a film - I love films. The vital thing for me was that it would be true to the book."

Alexander said Universal was more used to yielding creative control to get a deal but that might be slowing down the negotiation process. "Universal did not ask [Rowling] for permission to do the park, they just came to her with a pitch," he explained. "Probably she did not like their designs and they had to start over."

He thinks Rowling would have objected to the proposed rides at the theme park if they did not replicate the action and adventure of the books.

Universal Studios, Warner Bros and Rowling all declined to comment.

4/16/07

A few obscure news outlets have begun picking up on rumours that Universal Orlando is close to finalizing a deal that would allow for a "Harry Potter" themed section at one of its Orlando Resort parks.

Universal Orlando may be looking at converting the Lost Continent Section of its Island's of Adventure park into a Harry Potter themed land. This conversion would rumouredly add new attractions as well as convert existing ones.

Alternatively it is also rumoured that a whole new Harry Potter section may be added to either of the parks using previously undeveloped, adjacent land.

At this time the former seems more likely of the two rumours.

Flower
04-17-2007, 08:27 AM
I just saw this article on my home search engine page.

Harry Potter World
16/04/2007

A Harry Potter theme park said to be called 'Harry Potter World' is reportedly opening in Florida.

(BANG) - A Harry Potter theme park is opening in Florida, it has been reported.

Fans of the popular children's book series will soon be able to step into the young wizard's magical world as Universal Studios is reportedly close to making a deal to build 'Harry Potter World' in Orlando.

The theme park will feature a host of rides, including roller coasters, based on events and plots from JK Rowling's blockbuster books.

The Harry Potter brand has already proved a major money-spinner. The books have sold 325 million copies worldwide, while the four films have earned $4.51 billion.

Rowling has gone from being an unpublished struggling writer to a global household name and is now ranked among the richest women on Forbes' magazine's rich list, worth an estimated $1.13 billion.

Universal Studios Florida is also planning a themed ride based on hit animated series 'The Simpsons'.

(C) BANG Media International

cetacean01
04-17-2007, 09:22 AM
Universal is going to retheme the "Lost Continent" area of their "Islands of Adventure" theme park into a Harry Potter Themed area. In addition they supposedly will add a new ride that is a mechanical arm with riders attached to the end that moves all around doing inversions and tricks (Rumors are the flying car from "chamber of Secrets" or broomsticks and "Quidditch"
The big killer here, Disney was at one point looking into the same technology for an "Incredibles" themed attraction.
Universal has announced 120 million dollars in upgrades and new attractions to their parks in Florida to up the ante against Disney.
Me thinks the pendulum has swung back in Universals favor and Disney needs to come up with something (or SEVERAL things) quickly to combat this. Especially at the studios (and Toy Story Mania is not enough......).

Wolf
04-17-2007, 10:39 AM
Oh wow I might finally have a reason to leave the parks when we go to WDW nothing has ever interested me and mom enought but she might have to make a sacrifice for this one!!! Espically as I finally got my harry potter tattoo sorta recently!

WDWfanatic742
04-17-2007, 07:24 PM
Hmm, I wonder how creative they will get with Dueling Dragons. Besides that one ride, there really wasn't anything interesting in that land. Posideion's Adventure (or whatever) is ok but after the first time it's not an interesting walk through.

future_imagineer
04-17-2007, 10:45 PM
This is still a R-U-M-O-U-R and not confirmed by Jo Rowling, Warner Brothers, Universal, Scholastic, Bloomsbury, Disney, or anyone for that matter. A few months ago Jim Hill was reporting the same thing, save Uni and put in Disney.

My personal opinion is that Jo would never allow her writing to become a theme park attraction.

weswerx
04-18-2007, 02:01 AM
You mean there's another theme park in Florida?????:confused:

;)

Doug The Disney Man`
04-22-2007, 01:29 AM
I am more interested in the Simpsons ride, than Harry Potter Land. Personally, I think Harry Potter would be one ride (something like Quidditch inside a replica of Hogwart's) and the Simpsons would warrant a whole land. Heck, I think Disney should sit down with Fox and Matt Groening and build a whole Simpsons Park! With nearly 400 episodes (400th is season finale) and the first feature film on the horizon, there are limitless possibilities for rides, shows, shops, restaurants, etc! I should probably state that my love of Disney is eclipsed only by my love of Simpsons(and my family, of course), so the mere thought of the two fusing would be a dream come true. Sorry if this went off topic, just had to put it up there!

mel
04-22-2007, 04:29 PM
my only thought about this is that maybe Disney would like to concentrate on the " disney brand" of movies etc... :confused:

Polynesian Dweller
04-22-2007, 08:48 PM
Interesting rumour and no doubt there would be a lot of interest initially but just what in Potter could you really theme? Can't think of much that would make a good ride. Ride a broom but do what that would come close to what the movies portray. Shoot a wand at the villains?

So, I guess I can understand Universal wanting the franchise but can it have any lasting power? We'll have to see IF the rumour becomes reality and we get details.:unsure:

BrerEmma
04-23-2007, 03:49 PM
Universal can have Harry! Disney should have nothing to do with HP. It does not fit their mold, I am glad Disney is not going to waste the money on it. Invest it in the Studios and AK before we outsource for more characters.:mickey: :mickey:

JRock0114
04-25-2007, 03:42 PM
Boy the "Disney Cult Universal Bashers" are out in full force on this thread. I have no idea why people who love Disney just want to hate on everything else. I still don't know why yall can't understand that compition is a great thing for the paying fans of anything. Here is the part where the Bashers will say "Disney has no compition!"......and my friends.......that's where you are wrong. The entire reason that Disney added great attractions like Tower of Terror, Rock n' Rollercoaster, and Mission Space was beacause Universal took a chunk out of it's teen/young adult market. That's not an opinion......it's a fact........check the numbers.

Universal adding new attractions like the Simpsons and Harry Potter is a good thing for everybody. It's a good thing for the "Disney Cult" because the Mouse will continue to push in new directions.....and it's great for the people who just love great theme parks with great attractions no matter where they are found.

For the record........I love Disney. I live in Tennessee and visit Disney parks at least 3 times a year (just got back from the West Coast and my first trip to Disneyland). But I also love Universal and everything they offer. It's a great park vacation with a little bit of an edge to it.

So the next time you wanna Bash....just stop and ask yourself: What Would Goofy Do?

Now......doesn't that feel better?

Figment!
04-25-2007, 09:56 PM
It is interesting to consider the rumorued budget of $500 million against the announced $250 Million budget for more near-term expansions.

A 3/4 Billion investment is something pretty substaitial...

Mickey91
04-25-2007, 10:20 PM
Boy the "Disney Cult Universal Bashers" are out in full force on this thread. I have no idea why people who love Disney just want to hate on everything else. I still don't know why yall can't understand that compition is a great thing for the paying fans of anything. Here is the part where the Bashers will say "Disney has no compition!"......and my friends.......that's where you are wrong. The entire reason that Disney added great attractions like Tower of Terror, Rock n' Rollercoaster, and Mission Space was beacause Universal took a chunk out of it's teen/young adult market. That's not an opinion......it's a fact........check the numbers.

Universal adding new attractions like the Simpsons and Harry Potter is a good thing for everybody. It's a good thing for the "Disney Cult" because the Mouse will continue to push in new directions.....and it's great for the people who just love great theme parks with great attractions no matter where they are found.

For the record........I love Disney. I live in Tennessee and visit Disney parks at least 3 times a year (just got back from the West Coast and my first trip to Disneyland). But I also love Universal and everything they offer. It's a great park vacation with a little bit of an edge to it.

So the next time you wanna Bash....just stop and ask yourself: What Would Goofy Do?

Now......doesn't that feel better?

Goofy would look at you with a real perplexed look on his face trying to figure out where you came up with that comment!! I only read opinions on Harry Potter and making him some sort of attraction. No one bashed Universal. I love Universal. Everyone who wants to make Disney another thrill park land needs to learn all about Universal and go there. Walt built Disney for the family, not the bottom line and not for only thrill seekers. Actually, yours was the only negative post I read.

That being said, if they do bring a Harry Potter ride to Universal, my DS and DH might have to go there and try it. Me and DD will stay and play where the magic lives!:minnie:

caryrae
06-03-2007, 08:48 PM
Harry Potter theme park coming to Orlando's Universal Studios
Islands of Adventure theme park to feature The Wizarding World of Harry Potter

Beth Kassab | Sentinel Staff Writer
Posted May 31, 2007

The tourism industry buzzed feverishly Thursday with the announcement that Universal Orlando secured the rights to build an attraction centered on the hugely popular Harry Potter character.

"Properly conceived and executed, this story line absolutely has the potential to be one of the all-time biggest hits in the theme-park industry," said Dennis Speigel, president of International Theme Park Services Inc. in Cincinnati.

Universal intends to spend between $230 million to $265 million to create the "The Wizarding World of Harry Potter" at Islands of Adventure along with a previously announced Simpsons attraction, according to a filing Thursday with the Securities and Exchange Commission.

This year alone, the expenditure is expected to reach between $75 million and $85 million, the filing said.

Speigel likened the Potter stories to the "timeless" and age barrier-breaking qualities of the "Wizard of Oz."

Indeed, Harry Potter is so hot, the title character in the series of books about a world of witches and wizards scores just four popularity points behind pop culture icon and new cross-town competition Mickey Mouse, according to market research.

Marketing executive Steven Levitt said Harry Potter carries big potential according to his company's Q Scores, which measure how familiar audiences are with specific characters, brands or personalities as well as how many people rank the character as one of their "favorites."

The Harry Potter book series measures 39 and Mickey Mouse boasts a score of 43. Santa Claus trounces both at 56. Superman, the comic book version, scores at 26.

"Eight out of 10 people already know the Harry Potter character," said Levitt, president of Marketing Evaluations Inc. The Q Scores Company. "The way it's going to grow [among] people who aren't saying, 'it's one of my favorites' is a new iteration of Harry Potter -- like a theme park attraction."

Universal's challenge will be to create an attraction that delivers on its promise to exceed Potter fans' expectations for authenticity to the stories.

The "Wizarding World" based on the phenomenon created by British author J.K. Rowling, who has sold more than 300 million books, is expected to be open by summer 2010. The four movies released so far have pulled in $3.5 billion.

Universal Chairman Tom Williams told the Orlando Sentinel on Thursday that the Harry Potter attraction would be like "a theme park within a theme park" spanning about 20 acres of Islands of Adventures' 85 total acres.

"Warner Bros., J.K. Rowling, Universal: We're all completely committed," he said. "We're committed financially; we're committed intellectually to deliver a product that exceeds expectations."

The 10-year licensing deal between Universal City Development Partners and Warner Bros. Consumer Products Inc. was signed May 25 and includes an option for �two five-year renewal periods.

The agreement also requires Universal to pay Warner Bros. licensing fees, merchandise royalties and other payments, though specifics were not disclosed.

Williams said Thursday that he was "still kind of pinching myself" over the deal. The pressure to build an attraction that is true to the Harry Potter brand, he said, will be intense, though the company is looking forward to creating the smells, sounds and texture of Hogwarts Castle and the Forbidden Forest.

"To have a chance to bring Harry Potter to life is right up our alley," he said.

Local tourism boosters are hoping the celebrity of the character will mean more visitors to Orlando.

"Harry Potter is printed in 63 languages; that shows you the power of the brand," said Gary Sain, president of the Orlando/Orange County Convention & Visitors Bureau. "If we can tap into that and create that interest to visit Orlando, that's superb."

Sain said he expected a large boost among international travelers, who have waned in recent years. The attraction also could give way to more repeat visitors who will return to Orlando to see what's new.

At the same time, the Harry Potter attraction could inject new competition among theme parks in Orlando, where Universal has experienced declining visitors in recent years while Walt Disney World has seen attendance continue to increase.

A Disney spokeswoman even lauded Universal's announcement.

"Whenever one of our region's tourism industry players makes an investment in their business, it's good for our industry and our community as a whole," said Disney spokeswoman Kim Prunty. "That's why we continue to invest in our business."

Disney's popular "Year of a Million Dreams" promotional campaign that runs through the end of the year and plans for a new ride based on Toy Story to open next year are likely to keep the race for fresh attractions at full speed.

"I think Cinderella's Castle now has a new rival: Hogwart's Castle," said Speigel, the theme park consultant. "This is going to be a tough one to one-up right now."