PDA

View Full Version : Gas Prices [Merged Threads]

imaprincess!
04-16-2007, 12:30 AM
What are you paying for gas in your area? In MD, we're paying about $2.65 a gallon and I hear it's only supposed to go up. It's looking very discouraging for summer travel. For our van, that means we'll be spending about $200.00 for a round-trip drive to the beach.

:thedolls:

For those driving to WDW this summer, how much of your vacation budget will the gas eat up?

Sean Riley Taylor's Mom
04-16-2007, 01:22 AM
We filled up our Suburban yesterday with regular at $2.99 a gallon. It came to $68.50. :mad:

I know it is going to keep going up here. We are in East Hampton, NY..."The "Hampton's". Everything goes up in price here for the summer. They forget about the average family and cater to the rich and famous.

EyeLuvDisney
04-16-2007, 01:26 AM
Usually Georgia, especially Atlanta, has some of the cheapest gas in the nation. You wouldn't guess that when looking at the prices today.

$2.74 per gallon. That is the best price in the part of town I live.

It is sad to see gas go up every day. I'm glad someone is making money. Too bad it's not me.

Trey

vizsla
04-16-2007, 03:48 AM
I filled up my truck on Saturday and it was $2.75 a gallon. It is really hitting the pocket hard, $90.00 a week just for that vehicle, DW's car cost $35.00 to fill-up, and I haven't even driven my other truck for about 2-months now since that is even more of a gas hog.

RedSoxFan
04-16-2007, 06:50 AM
$3.07/gallon in NY. I have a Surburban and DH has a full size pickup truck -- it's getting very expensive to drive.

alpro2
04-16-2007, 07:41 AM
$2.95 / gallon - 30 miles north of NYC.

I wish my salary would go up like the gas prices do.

Jeri Lynn
04-16-2007, 07:41 AM
One gas station in our town had regular at $2.81 per gallon, the other one had it at $2.74:mad:

DVC2004
04-16-2007, 08:16 AM
My car uses premium. Yesterday I filled up at $3.19/gallon. The only time I remember paying more was Labor Day Weekend 2005 $3.50 a gallon. I hope they come down, too. We are driving over 1200 miles each way to Jackson Hole this summer.

Dsnygirl
04-16-2007, 08:44 AM
:( Just filled up yesterday at $2.89/gallon... yuck!! :ack: They say prices are supposed to start going down at some point... what I'd like to know is who "they" are and when??? :secret:

Ian
04-16-2007, 10:01 AM
You know I'm not one for big conspiracy theories, but this manipulation of gas prices lately has me very suspicious.

I keep reading stories online about how oil prices are dropping, yet around here gas has gone up almost 80 cents a gallon in the last 3 months or so. When you think about it that's completely insane. It's something like a 34% price increase in just 90 days. Can you think of any other product who's price shoots up THAT FAST???

Now they're saying that they think prices have peaked and they won't go much above a $2.70 a gallon national average for the summer season.

Well I'm waiting for a price drop and the prices have gone up by like 10 cents a gallon in the last week!!! HUH???

Now I've been driving for over 20 years ... in high school I worked at a gas station part time ... I can never remember a time when prices fluctuated so wildly like this. And it's always some story ... oh they're forecasting a bad hurricane season or such-and-such refinery is closed for maintenance or oh OPEC cut production ... blah blah blah.

I'm quite certain all that stuff went on before and yet prices didn't jump wildly from $2.10 a gallon to $2.92 a gallon to $2.30 a gallon to $3.30 a gallon ...

I seriously think the oil companies are trying to find the acceptable amount of price increase they can stick to consumers without damaging the overall health of the economy. How else can you explain it in the face of incredible record profits at companies like ExxonMobil? If it was merely a factor of oil prices going up then their costs would go up accordingly but profits would remain fixed.

Makes no sense!!!

mudpuppysmom
04-16-2007, 10:23 AM
The average here is $2.79......at Sam's Club it was $2.75 on Saturday. In less than a week here the price went up 10 cents.......and I can say that was actually in a three or four day window!!! :mad: :mad: :mad:

We live in an area right off a turnpike interchange (we call it "Mini Breezewood" because it is JUST like Breezewood, only more compact area). Anyway, one would think that a price war would break out sooner or later, but I guess all the oil companies are making money so why start a war for more business????

We've all heard of the idea that IF we ALL did not drive anywhere for one day the oil co's would be hurt.......now, IF we could all stand together as consumers maybe something might be done, but with people driving more the prices are NEVER going to go down to where we all would like them!!! I started to limit myself to nevessary trips only......we don't run around any more on weekends b/c of the price. DH just bought a new car last week (more fuel efficient) and I drive a minivan that is not too bad, but still we spent several hundred dollars a month on gas! Last week when I filled up it cost me $46!!! I'm going to see how long that can last me, but more than likely not more than a week and a half probably!:mad: :mad: :mad:

SandmanGStefani24
04-16-2007, 10:42 AM
here in central Texas, last time I checked it was $2.65 for regular, and $2.85 for Super. I drive a sports car, but thankfully I still get in the high 20s unless I'm hot rodding around.

DizNee143
04-16-2007, 10:43 AM
im in the process of moving..and the gas station by where im going to be living..the price for reg on saturday was $2.89...but the place by my parents house where im still living now...its only $2.59...so ya...ive obviously been going there!! lol...im so mad at myself for buying an Explorer at the end of the year last year...these prices are really starting to get to me..they seriously need to start going down!! id be happy with paying like $1.80...that would be awesome!! lol...i doubt we will ever see that price again though!!:mad:

ldn324
04-16-2007, 10:43 AM
Locally, I just paid $2.89/gallon. I was in the city (NYC) over the weekend and saw a range between $2.79 and $3.09/gallon.

Jersey prices are cheaper - around $2.69 or so which always baffles me because all Jersey gas stations are full service. We're talking less than 5 miles outside of Manhattan and the price drops from $3.09 down to $2.69 and in NYC you pump it, Jersey they pump it. :confused:

caryrae
04-16-2007, 04:03 PM
I remember when we thought gas prices over $2/gal would be crazy now we are pushing $3/gal alot of places and we think $2.40 would be awesome. It is almost has if they are conditioning us because when the prices were close to this high last year or when ever it was we 1st hit these high prices people were going crazy and it was all over the news shows everyday. Now I don't hear much about these high prices on our news stations where I live. I can't believe I ever paid under $1.00/gal before

Jerry2
04-16-2007, 05:31 PM
$2.95 / gallon - 30 miles north of NYC.

I wish my salary would go up like the gas prices do.

If you would "Shoot By" and see your older brother in NJ once in a while you could fill up for $2.59. And bring Mom and Dad too!:thumbsup: :number1:

princessjojo
04-16-2007, 05:41 PM
One gas station in our town had regular at $2.81 per gallon, the other one had it at $2.74:mad:

We get that around here as well. I filled up the other day for $2.78, then gas went up to $2.86 around here. Then I drove to Charlotte 3 days later. I needed gas before I left and got it for $2.64 :scratch:

The craziest thing I've seen...

kakn7294
04-16-2007, 05:52 PM
Our local station went up yesterday or today to $2.85. It's killing me - we drive 2 Jeeps at an average of 17 - 20 miles per gallon. Fortunately, we don't have to drive far to work - only 9 miles roundtrip!

2Epcot
04-16-2007, 08:35 PM
Most of these prices look great to me. I'm in CA, where we supposedly have the highest gas prices in the nation. I think the last time I filled up it was around $3.40 to $3.55 for regular unleaded gas. It's been a while since I've seen anything below $3.00.

Bethis26fan
04-16-2007, 10:17 PM
It's 2.69 at times (an american based oil station) and then a mile down the road at the shell station is it 2.78

crazypoohbear
04-16-2007, 10:34 PM
Yippee, I just filled my tank today because it was "MONDAY MADNESS" I got the pleasure of filling my tank for a mere $50.00. WOO HOO What a bargain:party: :party: . Price was dropped for today only... to a low low price of $2.73. :sick:
I saved SIX WHOLE CENTS. Now I can buy into DVC!!!!! ;) :ack: :thedolls:

pogo
04-17-2007, 05:36 AM
I live in Rochester, NY and I just filled up @ $2.84. :D

imaprincess!
04-18-2007, 06:49 PM
Hey, Pogo! My sister-in-law is from Rochester. Her parents, brothers and family still live there. We've visited and done some shopping at Irondiquois (sp?) Mall. We also love those white hot hot dogs (Zweigels brand?).

Anyway, gas prices have apparently gone up since I gassed up last week ... I took the kids to Dairy Queen after school today and saw that the Wawa across the street is now charging $2.75 for regular. :noway:

caryrae
05-08-2007, 06:16 PM
We are up to 3.15 a gallon in the Twin Cities MN area now. Will it ever stop.:fit:

I can't imagine paying for gas in California. Must be close to $4 in some places over there.

Sooner or later this is going to hurt the road trip vacations. Might be time to get a hybrid vehical.

MickeyandTink
05-08-2007, 06:39 PM
I filled up last week at $2.73. On Sunday it was $2.87 at the cheapest place in town. Most are $2.89 - $2.99 a gallon. :ack:

We were originally going to drive :car: (about 3000 miles round trip) figuring that even with a couple of nights hotel rooms, it was still quite a bit cheaper than flying. But we planned that back when gas was just over $2/gallon. At $3 or more, that translates to about $150 - $200 more for the trip. :spend: We've now decided to fly.:plane:

DisneyLandMomma
05-08-2007, 07:53 PM
Most of these prices look great to me. I'm in CA, where we supposedly have the highest gas prices in the nation. I think the last time I filled up it was around $3.40 to $3.55 for regular unleaded gas. It's been a while since I've seen anything below $3.00.

:shake:
Yup....I just paid $3.45 for gas on Friday and I'm sure it's gone up since then. :fit:

jkj1224
05-08-2007, 08:21 PM
I just filled up today and paid $2.80 at the "cheaper" gas station here in Orlando.

gueli
05-08-2007, 10:08 PM
Long Island, not quite as far out as the hamptons, but around here 3.09 for regular is cheap. :(
Just a couple of comments... In NJ they passed a law about manditory full service after somebody blew up a gas station many years ago.:thedolls: How they keep prices lower...Taxes. In NY the taxes kill you...
As far as conspirices- with no governmental control- no surprises- its never better for the consumer...
Drive safer & buy fuel effecent cars (I know that we who have children do need larger vehicles), but have a 'spare' that is not so hard on the pocket.
:mickey:

minnie1956
05-08-2007, 10:08 PM
We are paying average of $3.25 here.
I saw price go up 2x in one day at the same gas station. You bet there's a conspiracy and price fixing going on. Record profits? Absolutely, I keep hearing "we're driving more" I don't see it.
I changed jobs, got closer to home, got a smaller car. Out here, I'm seeing more mopeds,
and scooters. $40.00+ to fill a Beetle? Give me a break. Yet the oil ty-goons are driving their limo's, and reaping millions in bonuses. you can't tell me SOMEONE hasn't figured out along the way a better engine or fuel source. I keep hearing China is putting even more pressure on the supply. Let them make their own copy.:mad:

Pipalotta
05-08-2007, 10:42 PM
Today while driving home the cheapest gas price I saw was $2.91 in Edgewater, Maryland which is suburb of Annapolis, Maryland. Last week when I got gas it was $2.93, atleast it seems to have dropped a bit.

We have planned to spend about $60 at most on a fill up when we go in January. We are about 911 miles one way, so 1822 round trip.So we are planning to fill up about 6 times depending on how much driving we do in Florida. Our SUV gets about 320miles on a tank and the tank is about 15gallons, so about 21 miles a gallon. We always drive straight though so with gas it will be about $360 at the most which will still be cheaper than 3 adults flying and than renting a car.

BashfulMom
05-22-2007, 03:35 PM
Will the gas price increase effect your trip to WDW?

gueli
05-22-2007, 04:32 PM
Not for my family. Our flight (tkts) are already paid for.:D
But it will reduce the chance of a get away weekend, or anything else.
:mickey:

Ian
05-22-2007, 05:10 PM
Thus far they've merely reached levels of moderate annoyance. They've maybe cut into our dining out budget a little and we are maybe spending a bit less on discretionary items than we did before.

As of now, though, no impact to our vacation plans.

Now if they go as high as "experts" are suggesting they will (i.e. over $4 a gallon) then we'll have to re-evaluate.

AvonleaCF
05-22-2007, 05:19 PM
Leave the car at home. Fly instead. It's cheaper.

http://phx.corporate-ir.net/phoenix.zhtml?c=72780&p=irol-newsArticle&ID=1004871&highlight=

Dsnygirl
05-22-2007, 10:04 PM
Probably, related to airfare, but I hope not too much - we're booking this wknd. :fingers: :fingers:

disneydrmr
05-23-2007, 10:04 AM
Gas prices ($3.49 a gallon here) are affecting every aspect of my life! Dining out budget, spending money budget, fun money budget... there will definitly be no driving get aways for me.

Terra
05-23-2007, 10:56 AM
Ughh...it is really affecting how much we go out, what we do and our budget!!
Yesterday I paid $3.15 for the cheap gas!!
I was on 1/2 tank and topped off too fill the van and it was $48!!!

I don't know how it's not putting crimp in people's plans unless they're wealthy or something...My DH makes about $30,000 a year and I'm a SAHM....so we live on a modest budget!

tink36
05-23-2007, 12:39 PM
I live outside of Baton Rouge. We usually have gas prices lower than other places in the country. I filled up two days ago at $2.95/gal. Today, it has jumped to $3.02. And that's at the cheap station! We are leaving Saturday for Disney. After this trip, it will be a looong time before we can go anywhere until gas prices come down. It seems like the government can do something. I definitely do not believe the stories they tell about greater demand and lower supply. I think it's all baloney! :mad:

snifflesmcg
05-23-2007, 12:48 PM
You know I'm not one for big conspiracy theories, but this manipulation of gas prices lately has me very suspicious.
AGREED!!!!! What is the REAL reason that gas prices are up??? Did we have another hurricane that nobody knows about???? I remember working at a gas station in Jersey and the price.........91 CENTS a gallon. That was 1998! You mean to tell me that we are all driving WAY more now that only 9 years ago.

I live on the PA/NJ border. In NJ it's around $2.89 a gallon for regular. PA is higher with it being $3.00 or more. I try to always get it on my way home from work (In NJ)

MickeyandTink
05-23-2007, 01:01 PM
[QUOTE=AvonleaCF;1295592]Leave the car at home. Fly instead. It's cheaper.[QUOTE]

We originally booked our trip in February and were going to be leaving this Friday. The cheapest airfare we could get at that time was about $750 for three of us. At the time, gas was only $2 a gallon. We figured that even with hotel and food costs, we could still save a couple of hundred bucks and see some of the country by driving. :car:

The increase in gas prices added about $2-300 to our anticipated expenses and made that time unworkable. Fortunately, free dining came out so we have now re-booked for September. While it is disappointing to have to wait four more months :sad: , we are saving a bundle with free dining. Plus,we were able to get airfare for $650 for the three of us which will be a lot cheaper than driving at current gas prices. Flying also allows us to stay a couple of days longer since we will not have to spend it on the road driving. :joy:

SteveL
05-23-2007, 01:09 PM
The bad news is I have to use premium.
The good news is I get 30 mpg.

Michigander
05-23-2007, 01:42 PM
As of this morning here in our little town of PORT HURON MICHIGAN the price for reg. unleaded gas was $3.65. At this point I'm ready to quit my job, because I can't afford to put gas in my Uplander to get to work. My family only has 1 car and we make sure to combine trips to help save gas. This killing us!:mad:

disneydrmr
05-23-2007, 01:44 PM
Someone please correct me if I"m wrong - but doesn' t 'the law' state that gas prices can not be changed until a shipment of gas is recieved? Yesterday EVERY single gas station in our area increased to $3.49.. you can not tell me that EVERY single gas station recieved gas on that exact day all within about an hour of each other? And isn't our president's family wealthy from OIL???? Forget the "Do not buy gas" for a day - oil companies know that sooner or later we have to fill our cars... I believe the only thing that might make people take notice is if we all stop spending our money... get other industries behind us... stop going to movies/renting videos - see how quickly Hollywood jumps on the bandwagon.. stop eating out.. stop buying all the 'extra' things we all buy... you know the other industries will stand up and lend their voices when they stop recieving a piece of the 'profits'.

caryrae
05-23-2007, 02:00 PM
At some point somethings got to give. Some company that use vehicals alot will do something, like all the semi drivers. If they all decided to protest and stop driving for a while it would screw up alot of things. I kinda hope they do. If stores all over the country can't get merchandise maybe something would be done about the gas prices. As long as nobody does anything about it why would they not keep raiseing gas prices.

I just don't get why the gas companies what to screw the people in there own country. As gas prices get out of control so will the prices of other things like groceries, delivery services, taxi service, bus service, ect then most of us will not be able to afford to anything.

If you use the speedy rewards card from Super America, they used to give to 10 points for every $1 of gas you got now they give you 10 points for every gallon of gas you get. I suppose cause the points add up fast with gas prices this high.

2Epcot
05-23-2007, 02:12 PM
Gas prices didn't really affect me too much, because I lived so close to work. Now that I've moved down to Orange County in CA, my monthly gas expenses have gone up x4. I'm also trying to figure out what I will replace my 10 year old SUV with in the next year or so. The obvious money saving answer would be a small car that gets good gas mileage. Unfortunately I hate small cars, I don't feel safe in them, and you have limited visability on the road when you sit so low to the ground, compared to when you can see over at least half the cars on the road. Prices here are ranging from 3.35 to 3.65 per gallon, depending on where I buy. Toyota HIghlander Hybrid seems like a good compromise, though I hear mixed comments on how much gas you really save.

I've never understood why gas prices go up, when they think their could be a shortage, and not when their actually is a shortage. It always seems they are looking for any excuse at all to raise prices. Overnight, they will shoot up, but it always takes so much longer for them to come down.

Belle619
05-23-2007, 02:15 PM
Thankfully, I too live close to work - but prices here were around $3.66 last week and I'm almost afraid to look at the signs to see if the price has gone up!

magicman
05-23-2007, 03:12 PM
The institution that makes the biggest "profit" (for doing absolutely nothing) per gallon of gasoline is the government with the taxes that are charged on each gallon pumped. This is the one item that is directly in the control of our country, and it should be the first option for reducing gas prices (followed by the second solution which is reducing restrictions on the building of refineries so that supply can be increased [which of course all free enterprise believers know is the solution;) ]).

caryrae
05-23-2007, 03:45 PM
Let's look at where your money goes when you pay for gas:

Crude oil - The biggest portion of the cost of gas -- as of February 2006, that's about 59 percent -- goes to the crude-oil suppliers. This is determined by the world's oil-exporting nations, particularly the Organization of the Petroleum Exporting Countries (OPEC), which you will learn more about in the next section. The amount of crude oil these countries produce determines the price of a barrel of oil. Crude-oil prices averaged around $37 per barrel (1 barrel = 42 gallons or 159.6 L) in 2004 (Source: U.S. DOE). And, after Hurricane Katrina, some prices were almost double that. In July 2006, crude-oil prices averaged around $72 per barrel (1 barrel = 45 gallons or 159.6 L).
Sometimes, gas prices go up even though there is plenty of crude oil on the market. It depends on what kind of oil it is. Oil can be classified as heavy or light, and as sweet or sour (no one actually tastes the oil, that's just what they call it). Light, sweet crude is easier and cheaper to refine, but supplies have been running low. There's plenty of heavy, sour crude available in the world, but refineries, particularly those in the U.S., have to undergo costly retooling to handle it.

Refining costs - The refining of crude oil makes up about 10 percent of the price of gasoline. To learn more about oil refining, read How Oil Refining Works.

Distribution and marketing - Crude oil is transported to refineries, and gasoline is shipped from the refineries to distribution points and then to gas stations. The price of transportation is passed along to the consumer. Marketing the brand of the oil company is also added into the cost of the gasoline you buy. Together, these two factors account for about 11 percent of the price of gasoline.

Taxes - Taxes, including federal and local, account for about 20 percent of the total price of gas in the United States. Federal excise taxes are 18.4 cents per gallon, and state excise taxes average 20 cents per gallon. There may also be some additional state sales taxes, as well as local and city taxes. In Europe, gas prices are far higher than in America because taxes on gas are much higher. For example, gas prices in England have risen as high as $6 per gallon, with 78 percent of that going to taxes.

Station markup - While it isn't represented in the diagram above, of course some of the actual money you spend at the pump does go to the service station. Service stations add on a few cents per gallon. There's no set standard for how much gas stations add on to the price. Some may add just a couple of cents, while others may add as much as a dime or more. However, some states have markup laws prohibiting stations from charging less than a certain percentage over invoice from the wholesaler. These laws are designed to protect small, individually-owned gas stations from being driven out of business by large chains who can afford to slash prices at select locations.

Disney Doll
05-23-2007, 04:38 PM
I think all the price problems could be solved if a little more of the profits were reinvested in the company instead of the CEO's pocket. Have you seen how much these executives make!? Meanwhile, our most vulnerable (the working poor) can no longer afford to drive to work, never mind the increase in groceries due to shipping cost increases. It's annoying to me, but I feel really bad for those people who are less fortunate. This extra cost in gas could be a huge part of their monthly budget.

I don't buy any of the excuses. I think the oil companies will charge whatever they can get away with. Isn't that the old rule of supply and demand. Demand isn't going down anytime soon so I'd expect to see these high prices around for a while. Boy am I glad I drive a Honda Civic.

Riri529
05-23-2007, 05:53 PM
The other day I paid $3.25!:mad: I drive from site to site for my job and the gas prices are killing me!

MickeyandTink
05-23-2007, 06:34 PM
I think all the price problems could be solved if a little more of the profits were reinvested in the company instead of the CEO's pocket.

I'm not sure it would solve all the problems, but it surely would help if the oil companies were reinvesting their huge profits in expanding refining capacity and less on 8 and 9 figure bonues to the CEO's and other corporate big-wigs. :ack:

I also find it hard to swallow that it's all OPEC's fault gas prices are so high when the refineres, which are controlled by the oil companies, are making record profits.

Ian
05-24-2007, 07:21 AM
I hate to say it, but despite their protests the contrary, it really is largely the fault of the oil companies.

They're pocketing mongo profits (and, in fairness, passing a nice chunk of change onto their shareholders in the process) and not reinvesting a single penny in new refining capacity.

This is (allegedly) what's driving the prices up is the lack of refining capacity, yet Big Oil has not built a single new U.S. based refinery in close to 30 years.

Look, I'm as free market as they come, but if you artificially reduce supply in order to drive prices up, that's not really a free market. The truth is, oil prices are currently such that we should have much cheaper gas than we do. Big Oil is purposely keeping supply low by stubbornly refusing to increase refining capacity and, IMO, Congress needs to do something about that.

And let me stress again ... you rarely will hear me call for the government to get involved in private enterprise, but gas is different. That's a mission critical commodity that needs to be available to all for a reasonable price.

SteveL
05-24-2007, 07:58 AM
Perhaps the oil companies haven't built any new refineries because if they wait long enough, they know that the taxpayers will end up paying a huge chunk of the cost.

Pongo
05-24-2007, 09:58 AM
Mid grade today was $3.55. I am so grateful that I carpool.

Brian
05-24-2007, 12:43 PM
This is (allegedly) what's driving the prices up is the lack of refining capacity, yet Big Oil has not built a single new U.S. based refinery in close to 30 years.

Do you really think that the oil companies don't want to build more refineries? Or could it be that our government and its environmental policies have prevented new refineries from being built? Do some research and I think you'll be amazed at what you find.

I think our government is more to blame for this problem than the oil companies.

poohluva
05-24-2007, 01:41 PM
depending on where you go regular is between 2.99 and 3.05 and premium is up around 3.31

pogo
05-24-2007, 03:49 PM
I think our government is more to blame for this problem than the oil companies.
I disagree with this. This is an International thing, not just the U.S.

There is a shortage of Crude Oil happening in the world right now as we speak. With the modernization of China and India, a lot of crude oil is being diverted to these countries for refining to meet their increasing need because it is worth more there than it is here. This puts the U.S. at risk as the crude oil supplies are spread out world wide.:(

I'm almost embarresed to say I only paid $3.04 just today. :blush:

Ian
05-24-2007, 06:54 PM
I think our government is more to blame for this problem than the oil companies.You'll get no argument from me there.

One other very interesting thing to mention here. Part of the reason for the increased demand is socialism and communism in South America and China.

The governments there subsidize gas prices so residents can buy gas for like 35 cents a gallon or something absurd like that. At those prices, and with surging populations, they're chewing through gas like never before. By monkeying with the free markets, those governments are causing shortages.

And who's paying the price? You guessed it ... us ...

Brian
05-24-2007, 11:09 PM
I disagree with this. This is an International thing, not just the U.S.

There is a shortage of Crude Oil happening in the world right now as we speak.

There is no doubt that international supply and demand plays a part in the price of gas. However, the current problem isn't the international supply as much as its the lack of refining capacity in the U.S. If you take a look at the current price of a barrel of oil, it is lower now (~$64) than it was at the end of last summer (~$75). However, prices at the pump are much higher now than they were last summer.

Scar
05-25-2007, 11:04 AM
Valero down the street from us (central NJ) just went down .02 yesterday from $2.899 to $2.879.

NJ has one of the lowest gas taxes in the country. Of course, everything else is the highest in the country

dolphinmickey9170
05-25-2007, 11:15 AM
I love in Baltimore and gas was 3.06 yesterday when I went by the gas station. We just drove to WDW May 6th....Paid 2.89 at Sam's when we left, paid 2.91 in NC and 2.91 again in Jacksonville. Parked the mini van the entire trip, used the busses. Drove home May 18th, Filled up again in SC and then again in VA. We paid a total of 300.00 for our round trip. AUGH!!!

BashfulMom
05-30-2007, 01:32 PM
Now that the Memorial Day Holiday is over the price for gas has dropped from $3.49 to $3.33 in Cincinnati, OH.

Pipalotta
05-30-2007, 01:45 PM
Gas prices here in Maryland have dropped a few cents this week. In Annapolis though the price is still $3.22 a gallon but just like a mile away I have seen $3.05 a gallon.

Ian
05-30-2007, 01:53 PM
Prices have come down just a bit here, too.

On Monday I passed by two stations a little North of me that were selling gas for $2.99.

Unfortunately, that didn't extend to marine gas ... I had to pay $3.59 a gallon to fill the boat! :(

Scar
05-30-2007, 03:00 PM
Just filled up for $2.84 9/10 in Aberdeen, NJ.

caryrae
11-09-2007, 09:43 AM
With the price of oil up to a record $100 per barrel, I here they think gas will be up to $4.00/gallon most places by next year. If it does go up that high and maybe higher the cost of everything will continue to go up (except of course our wages). How will some of us every be able to do much of anything again. I install ceramic tile and unless I travel 50 miles or more out of my companies area (which never happens) I have to pay for my own gas. Alot of times I can spend $100 or more just on gas in a week and if I take home on average $500 - $600 per week, $100 is a week is a good chunk of what I make for that week. What happens then if the gas prices go up another $1 per gallon.

Then there's the price to heat home, food, airline tickets, ect just a big trickle down effect.

Our gas prices were I live have been around $3/gallon, can't imagine what they pay in Calif.

poohluva
11-09-2007, 01:13 PM
In NH for regular we're paying between $2.89 and $2.94, it's outrageous.

So far most of my Christmas shopping has been done on-line (free shipping).

Marker
11-09-2007, 01:34 PM
I paid $2.99 yesterday. grrrrrrr!!!!!

Ian
11-09-2007, 01:38 PM
Our gas prices were I live have been around $3/gallon, can't imagine what they pay in Calif.I read an article yesterday that said it's up to $5 a gallon in some places in CA. That's nuts.

Here it's still tolerable ... high $2 range ... but I'm sure it will keep climbing.

I did just read an article on CNN that they've found a huge oil deposit in Brazil. Wonder if that will help ease prices any?

IloveJack
11-09-2007, 02:18 PM
It's $3.09 for the "cheap" stuff here in middle TN. Dh and I share the same car, and try not to make any extra trips. It's still killing us!:mad:

Pipalotta
11-09-2007, 02:38 PM
In the past week around Annapolis, MD I have watched the gas prices increase 15cents for regular. It is about 2.99-3.29 range as of Wednesday, no clue if it has gone up again as I havent yet gone to work.

tinkwest
11-10-2007, 06:48 PM
I paid $3.32 today for the lowest grade. :drama:

Scar
11-10-2007, 07:04 PM
$2.75 9/10 at Valero in Franklin Twp, NJ today.

If you look at my post a few posts up from May, still 9 cents cheaper from then. :thumbsup:

Magic Smiles
11-10-2007, 07:15 PM
Here in Ottawa, Ontario we are pay $1.03 per litre which is the equivalent to $3.89 per gallon. That is for the cheapest. It had been around $0.97 / litre ($3.67 / gallon) for quite a while, but it now back up. So guys don't really have it all that bad.

RedSoxFan
11-10-2007, 10:59 PM
Well, as of yesterday it was $3.35/gal. It's getting very expensive to drive my new suburban.

Ed
11-11-2007, 03:22 PM
My truck uses diesel.

Last week, it was $3.119.

Yesterday, it was $3.359.

Looks like it's time to buy a moped. But it's a little difficult to pull a 12,000 pound trailer with one of them....

:mad:

mttafire
11-12-2007, 09:22 AM
We just dont even pay attention to the price of gas anymore; It has been anywhere from 2.50-3.25 for a LONG time now in Ohio. I try to get a few hours of overtime at the firehouse or we just cut back a little on wasteful spending. No matter what though we dont let it hurt our vacation plans. :thumbsup:

dlpmikki
11-12-2007, 04:38 PM
We are now over $8 a gallon in the UK (more than $2 a litre). Even on economical cars it is getting very expensive to run them.