PDA

View Full Version : Any trouble with pickpockets?

DisneyRN
04-15-2007, 06:03 PM
The Passporter kept mentioning the islands having trouble with pick-pockets and thieves. Is this really an issue, or are they putting a warning of something that rarely happens? :(

I am taking DD off by ourselves without DH (he will be scuba diving) in St. Thomas. I want to take her to Maegan's Beach and some other areas. Is this safe? :confused:

Now I feel kind of intimidated about this.

ElenitaB
04-15-2007, 07:02 PM
While I haven't travelled to the ports you will be visiting, I did live 12 years in Central America and frequented the local markets every single week. My purse was robbed ... but only once and that was in a restaurant in a middle-class neighborhood.

Keep your purse in your view at all times... in fact, I would recommend not using a tote bag or backpack but rather an potentially unflattering but safe fannypack kept at the front of your body. When we cruised this past November and the days before and after at WDW, I had a little tote bag that I kept crossed over my body with the bag in front of me. Granted it could have been grabbed and the cord cut, but I was also very aware of what was happening around us... no absent-minded chatting on my cell phone. Granted our kids can be a distraction. :crazy:

My best advice is to leave whatever you don't need back at the ship, keep your eyes open, take only the essentials and keep them close to you.

DisneyDudet
04-21-2007, 12:53 AM
Meagan's Bay is very nice, and is run privately. We did not have a problem with pick pockets while there, but we didn't bring much cash with us. We had our KTTWC and traveler's checks, and small amts of cash. If any of those were stolen, we could have replaced them.

If you are going on an excursion with the ship to Meagan's Bay, you will be sectioned off with many chairs for everyone. THere will be someone around that will be there. You could always ask them to watch out for your stuff.

If you are really worried, I would invest in a waterproof container (they do sell versions on the ship, but could be cheaper elsewhere) and wear your money and KTTWC and ID around your neck while away from the towels.

I just googled "waterproof money holder" and got back many hits of options. That would be your best bet with the beach. If you are just walking around shopping, I would use a backpack with a hidden pocket. Or as Ellen said, a fanny pack.

We never had problems with stuff like that. We never got close enough to people. Ew.