PDA

View Full Version : Resort Monorail Damaged by Windstorm

Ed
04-15-2007, 04:14 PM
The monorail line that serves the resorts and the TTC has been damaged by heavy wind, and is presently CLOSED. Guests are being transported by bus.

Apparently the other monorail line between MK, TTC and Epcot has not been affected.

No other details at this writing; I'll try to update as more info becomes available.

The Orlando area has been under a Tornado Watch for most of the day; there have been a few very heavy downpours accompanied by very high winds.

marlyn
04-15-2007, 04:16 PM
Ed, thank you for keeping us posted. Prayers that the storm passes quickly and that no one gets hurt. Scary!

John
04-15-2007, 05:33 PM
Hard to believe the concrete would be damaged so I would guess it's something electrical/power related or with the switching equipment. Will be interesting to hear what the deal is!

Crow
04-15-2007, 09:56 PM
wow. thanks for letting us know. hope everythings ok

Jasper
04-15-2007, 10:01 PM
Hard to believe the concrete would be damaged so I would guess it's something electrical/power related or with the switching equipment. Will be interesting to hear what the deal is!

I would tend to agree with your thinking here. Just about the only thing that could damage the concrete would be a direct lightening strike. I know from experience what that can do because I had a huge hole to fix in my driveway after a lightening strike last year.

pogo
04-15-2007, 10:03 PM
Here's hoping that nobody got hurt during the storm and everything can get back to normal real soon ! :mickey:

Updates needed as soon as they are available.:D

PirateLover
04-15-2007, 10:07 PM
Some :pixie: for the monorail. I hope that no one was hurt and that everything is back to normal soon. I'd be so bummed if I was staying at a monorail resort and it was closed for awhile... but safety always comes first.

ibrowse17
04-15-2007, 10:19 PM
Fingers crossed that all will be fine. DW and I know a bunch of people down there right now, so we hope all is well with them:thumbsup:

Ian
04-16-2007, 09:48 AM
We were in Disney in 1980 staying at the Contemporary and the monorail was completely shut down due to the construction of the Epcot line. It was pretty disappointing.

I just hope no one was hurt.

And I'm also hoping they get it up and running by the time we arrive on the 28th.

crazeedizneefinatic
04-16-2007, 12:35 PM
Hope everyone on their vacation is safe and the monorail is up and running soon. Scary!Thanks for the update!

pshokie
04-16-2007, 02:15 PM
Suppose the Monorail is down for quite some time. How will they handle transportation to the 3 monorail resorts? Specifically I am thinking about ADRs. Do they run busses from MK to the the GF, Poly & CR? Or is there now a degree of walking involved? Or must one rely on the boats?

DisneyDudet
04-16-2007, 02:25 PM
There are boat launches that go to Poly and GF from MK. They are small, so maybe they'll implement larger ones, like the ones from FW and WL.

You can easily walk to CR from MK. Its about a 10 min walk.

They may offer buses as well.

Vanlandingham
04-16-2007, 07:07 PM
There are boat launches that go to Poly and GF from MK. They are small, so maybe they'll implement larger ones, like the ones from FW and WL.

Not a bad idea, but the problem is that they only have 3 of those boats that run to FW and WL (they're known as Cruisers) and they were built special for that particular role. And as of now, they pretty much run at full capacity so I'm not sure they could spare one. I imagine extra buses and maybe one or two smaller launches will be implemented for the time being.

JIMINY13
04-18-2007, 07:33 AM
Any updates on when the Monorail will be back up and running? Didn't hear much about it so I imagine that no one got hurt. :(

Tigerlilly
04-18-2007, 08:42 AM
I have not seen it on any closure lists and we are headed down next weekend so any updates would be great:)

Piglet822
04-18-2007, 05:14 PM
Whenever there's a problem with the monorai Disney puts extra buses out in those areas so getting around shouldn't be a problem.

We were at WDW over the weekend and were just getting off the monorail at MK when I looked up and saw Monorail Lime looking a bit different than normal. I got a picture before it headed off to the barn. It had no windshield!! Here's the pic I took:

Monorail Lime (http://family.webshots.com/photo/2176411050043161108HbcnDG)

Maleficent's Dad
04-18-2007, 07:34 PM
It had no windshield!! Here's the pic I took:

Monorail Lime (http://image57.webshots.com/757/5/31/14/2875531140043161108YtpBjc_ph.jpg?track_pagetag=/page/photo/family/vacations&track_action=/Owner/ViewActions/FullSize)

Jeanne,
Problems with your link!
"Not authorized to view this..."

MinnieMommie
04-18-2007, 07:53 PM
Jeanne,
Problems with your link!
"Not authorized to view this..."

Me too Jeanne - can't view the link but thanks for describing. It must have been a bit strange to see monorail Lime in this condition. :mickey:

SgtTigger
04-18-2007, 08:04 PM
Not a bad idea, but the problem is that they only have 3 of those boats that run to FW and WL (they're known as Cruisers) and they were built special for that particular role. And as of now, they pretty much run at full capacity so I'm not sure they could spare one. I imagine extra buses and maybe one or two smaller launches will be implemented for the time being.

Disney can also pull the spare large ferry that runs from TTC to Magic Kingdom and run it to Wilderness Lodge and Fort Wilderness it has been done in the past...... They also have some special boats that VIPs I am sure they could use if needed......

yea John I cant wait to hear ether but I was thinking maybe one of the trees near the line fell up against one of the beams and they had to remove it.......

:cop: :tigger:

Dsnygirl
04-18-2007, 09:06 PM
:mickey: Thanks for the info & updates... glad to hear no one was hurt!! Hoping they're able to get it up and running soon!

JPL
04-18-2007, 09:42 PM
Wow that picture is really bizzare :eyes:

Polynesian Dweller
04-18-2007, 11:20 PM
Picture worked for me and that is amazing. :rub: If that was the operator's end it would be hard to believe someone wasn't hurt with the glass ripped out.

Hope we get update info soon and that everyone go through that ok.

imaprincess!
04-19-2007, 03:45 AM
Please post any new info. My friends are headed to WDW on Saturday and I'd like to give them the info.

Thanks! :mickey:

trackbarroness
04-19-2007, 08:10 AM
That's the express monorail beam so that would be the back end of the train instead of the front. They had shut down the resort monorail on Tuesday huh? Pirategal and I rode the resort line whilst SpectroMagic was being performed. I had seen the monorail going back to it's barn but didn't think much of it. I was on one of my breaks of the day outside of my work area when i saw it. :blush:

GiltterDisneyGirl
04-21-2007, 04:27 PM
wow hope everything & everyone is ok!

LudwigVonDrake
04-22-2007, 11:34 AM
So is the line up and running again?

MickeyDreamer
04-22-2007, 02:59 PM
I do not think the line was down very long we where there at this time and the lines all appeared to be working after this date with no delays.

LudwigVonDrake
04-22-2007, 04:56 PM
Thank you :wave:

Scar
04-25-2007, 07:21 PM
I'll try to update as more info becomes available.So, does anyone in the know, (Ed, Jim, Jeanne, Jason) have anymore info to tie this one up in a knot?

Ed
04-25-2007, 08:35 PM
Frankly, I totally forgot I had posted this. Senior moment. :-o

I understand the monorail line was reopened fairly quickly, so apparently the damage was not too major.

As for the picture of Monorail Lime, it seems that WDW management realized that the air conditioning on the monorail was too expensive, and that was their solution.....:D

Mickey'sApprentice
04-26-2007, 07:44 PM
We were there last week and took the resort monorail from the TTC to CR for Chef Mickey's on Tuesday morning (April 17th) with a 10 minute delay between the GF and MK due to the train ahead of us having problems. We weren't on the lime monorail so it may have been in the barn getting fixed.

Monorail_Red
04-28-2007, 09:56 PM
I was in WDW that week and everything was fine with the monorails. There was one delay, we were stuck at GF because a train was having problems. Other than that, everything seemed normal.

As to that picture with Monorail Green without a windshield, I'm assuming that's what the two new braces in the upper portion of the windshield, one by each sideview mirror are supposed to prevent.

Just a few fun facts to share... The monorails do not operate in gusts above 50 MPH. And on windy days, they seal the windows shut with plastic zip ties around the handles that open/close the windows in the cabs.