PDA

View Full Version : How Much Of A Tip Do You Leave For Mousekeeping?

crazeedizneefinatic
04-15-2007, 12:28 PM
Another thing I often wondered..... If we get good service we leave $5 a day on the nightstand usually with a note of thanks. Usually something my son has drawn. If a holiday happens we also leave a little present. Last February 14th my son left a small box of chocolates. We don't leave the tip weekely in case someone else does the room the last day. It would not be fair. As a rule we always do have the same Mousekeeper but on 2 occassions we have also had different people. We have learned to leave it daily from now on. It will be interesting to see the poll results.

CanadianWDWFan
04-15-2007, 01:24 PM
Since there are four of us, we leave $5 everyday. I agree with not leaving a tip at the end of the trip. There is nothing to say you won't get the ame Mousekeeper everyday of your stay.

My DW likes to make up envelopes with Disney stickers on it for Mousekeeping.

5 days to go!:cloud9:

karenrarintogo
04-15-2007, 01:31 PM
We do a $1/person/day. So when it's me and my husband we give 2.

BronxTigger
04-15-2007, 01:33 PM
DH and I left $2/day for the mousekeepers. There were only two of us and we kept the room very tidy. We had everything put away each day before we left for the parks, so the mousekeepers could do their job without having to deal with our clutter.

karenrarintogo
04-15-2007, 01:34 PM
....and the last day we leave $5, since it's more work to turn the room over for new guests. :mickey:

Strmchsr
04-15-2007, 01:51 PM
Technically, it's supposed to be a non-tipped position, but we also do $1/person/day.

dizneeat
04-15-2007, 02:02 PM
Since there are only 2 of us we usually leave 2 dollars a day. But we do leave special little presents which we pick up during our trips to DLRP, like special postcards or pins.

mecarroll
04-15-2007, 03:19 PM
I leave $3 per day for my DW and me.

Jasper
04-15-2007, 03:37 PM
You can call me a cheapskate and I am sure my comments are likely to stir up a debate, but we no longer leave a tip for housekeeping. The reason we don't leave a tip is very simple. . .we don't see any difference in the quality of the service regardless of whether we leave a tip or not.

We also don't leave a tip because of a conversation I had with two Disney cast members several years ago. At that time I was at Disney World attending a seminar put on by Disney. During one of the presentations, a person from casting and a person in charge of housekeeping were addressing us. They mentioned that Disney feels that tipping Mousekeeping staff creates a situation that de-motivates many of the Mousekeeping staff.

The speakers said that they want Mousekeeping staff to provide the same, high-level, quality of service regardless of whether they receive a tip or not. When guests regularly leave a tip they have found that some of the staff end up working for the tip and not doing what they are being paid regularly to do.

The speakers also said that their surveys over the years have regularly shown that poor service from Mousekeeping along with poor service from those Cast Members who sell admission to the parks have the most significant impact on guest's overall satisfation with their stay at Disney World. Of course, this is among people staying on property, and does not include those staying off property!

After hearing the above, we decided not to tip Mousekeeping anymore.

tinkerbell615
04-15-2007, 03:51 PM
We usually give $1.00 per person per day. There are usually 4 of us so we leave $4.00-$5.00. We will have two rooms this year with 5 people so I don't really know how to work this one. Maybe $3.00 per room per day. I really can't afford to leave much more than that every day. We will be there 7 days and although $42.00 does not seem like much $ when you are visiting Disney... we are on a pretty tight budget.

crazeedizneefinatic
04-15-2007, 03:54 PM
I never thought of it that way. Jasper,Thanks for the input! Although our room is always picked up by me (I am a neat freak, blame my mother!) I always left a tip. I cannot imagine what some of these Mousekeepers encounter. I had a friend in college work for a famous hotel chain, not connected with Disney in any way, for some extra cash. THe stories I heard about what slobs people were or what they expected the housekeepers to do. I know that is a choosen job but geez I could never never put up with it. I always left a tip because who knows what that person encountered that day, I don't wanna think about it. It might have lifted their spirits a little. Although your post does make lots of sense. :mickey:

crazeedizneefinatic
04-15-2007, 03:58 PM
I know it can add up the days you are there! $42 is some souvenier money!:)

walstib
04-15-2007, 04:17 PM
The reason we don't leave a tip is very simple. . .we don't see any difference in the quality of the service regardless of whether we leave a tip or not.

The speakers said that they want Mousekeeping staff to provide the same, high-level, quality of service regardless of whether they receive a tip or not. .

We always tip $5 each day in a special envelope and don't really expect to see any special treatment for it.
I guess that we have always been lucky in our stays to get that "high quality service" through out the whole week of our stay.
I view that as quality of the mousekeepers, not anticipation for a tip.

Seasonscraps
04-15-2007, 05:21 PM
When we stay in a villa on points, we don't tip since there is no mousekeeping - just new towels after a few days since we handle our own trash.

When we book a regular stay, we tip about $2-3 per day for 2 adults on the last day of stay.

ncbyrne
04-15-2007, 05:37 PM
Like most others, we leave $1 per day, per person. BUT....if the mousekeeping is bad, we don't tip at all! Our last trip at ASMu, it was so bad it was comical! Our mousekeeper most days was a middle aged man! The spread on the bed was put on sideways and was barely on one side of the bed and completely tucked in on the other (presumably to get it off the floor!). The bathroom was never touched. The third day we specifically did things to tell if he had touched it - he didn't! I suppose we could, or even should, have complained, but we were only in the room to shower and sleep - we'll let the next person rat on the guy. I didn't want him to be fired, but I certainly was NOT going to give him a tip! (Oh, and BTW, I've never had service this bad before, onsite or off).

crazeedizneefinatic
04-15-2007, 06:04 PM
Last time we stayed at ASM we had a Mousekeeper that was absolutely terrible! Let's not talk about tip here! The rubbish was not taken out for 2 days. The 3rd day my husband put the rubbish right in the path you walk, she finally emptied it. There were 4 people in our room and she would leave towels for 2. We approached her one day and as we were talking she shook her head as if she did not understand english. A few minutes later we all left the room only to find her conversing to another Mousekeeper in English. We still chuckle about it. We saved some money on tips that stay.

LIGHTNING MC-DAD
04-15-2007, 06:06 PM
We leave $5 per day. We have (4) people in the room.

pogo
04-15-2007, 08:28 PM
We leave three dollars a day for two of us if the service is good. :D

DisneyorBust
04-15-2007, 08:55 PM
We leave $5 per day for the 5 of us. We do the "Mousekeeping" envelopes and leave them as we leave the room in the morning to start another fun filled day inWDW! :mickey:
I always tip good service. If I receive poor service, I won't tip but I will (politely) let management know so that they can correct the problem.

wdw_bound
04-15-2007, 09:03 PM
We typically leave $4 or $5 / day (four of us).

In December, we will be travelling with the inlaws, and have requested adjoining (not necessarily connecting) rooms. MIL is infamous for her lousy tipping - at restaurants, I usually quietly supplement whatever she has left so that I can return there to eat again :blush:

If our rooms end up being next door or even across the hall from one another, will we have the same mousekeeper? It would be much easier for me to leave the tip for both rooms in one envelope in our room, noting on the envelope that this is for both rooms. I don't think I'd be able to sneak into their room each morning to leave a second tip envelope, and I don't think I could deal with having tipping as a conversation topic for the rest of my married life ;)

What do you guys think?

chrisandmattsmom
04-15-2007, 09:04 PM
In college, I worked as a housekeeper in the Pocono Mountains of Pennsylvania and we were ecstatic if we got a tip since we were paid barely minimum wage. I believe that if the service was good, then leave a nice tip for the housekeeper. You would do the same for a waitress/waiter at a restaurant. If you could afford the thousands of dollars for a vacation, I think a few extra dollars for housekeeping wouldn't break you!

crazeedizneefinatic
04-15-2007, 09:16 PM
You would do the same for a waitress/waiter at a restaurant. If you could afford the thousands of dollars for a vacation, I think a few extra dollars for housekeeping wouldn't break you!
Another very good point!! I would never think of not leaving a tip at a restaurant. Although service would depend on how much I left. I cannot imagine being a Mousekeeper is glamourous even at WDW, but it puts food on the table. Whatever you can do to say "thanks" helps, especially if the service is good:) .

Magic Smiles
04-15-2007, 09:23 PM
We leave $1 per day per person.......so $3 dollars a day for us, unless for some reason we don't have $1's or the service has been particularly poor that day. I have started leaving the money in the towel figures that mousekeeping usually makes for us.

marlyn
04-15-2007, 09:32 PM
Does anyone know how much a Mousekeper makes per hour? Just curious. How many rooms a day would a Mousekeeper clean?

I tip $3 per day for myself and my 2 boys. I had awesome service at ASMo last visit. We always had cute towel animals, the stuffed toys arranged differently every day. It was fun.

OogieBoogieMan
04-15-2007, 09:36 PM
I guess I tip too much! We typically stay at a deluxe resort and I usually leave $10 a night unless I forget. According to the survey we are all alone at over $5. I don't expect special treatment, it just strikes me as a tough job and leaving 5% or less of the room rate seems like a fair deal. In my opinion, it is very much a budget issue. Nice to do for the staff, who can't make very much money, but certainly not required, especially at Disney room rates.

Mom2princesses
04-15-2007, 10:38 PM
We always leave about $5 a night whenever we stay at any hotel. I just think of it as a thank you for the great service. We'll be making special envelopes for this trip. I got the idea from reading this board that is such a great idea! I would imagine that they don't get the best pay in the world and a we can afford the few bucks that will show our appreciation for their hard work. It can't be fun cleaning up after everyone! :princess:

Spaceship Tigger
04-16-2007, 07:23 AM
Jasper - I agree with your comments above. Those are the same reasons that we don't usually tip Mousekeeping. Honestly, until I came onto Intercot a few years ago I never knew that people tipped housekeepers at all.

The same person is likely not cleaning your room every day, and even if it is consistently the same person, that person surely does not work every day of the week. So if I tip, it is tipping in advance to some unkown person that I have not received face-to-face service from and might not be the same person who did the job yesterday.

One time I tipped because we had the same Mousekeeper named Mimi at the WL all week and we saw her several times that trip. I tipped at the end of the trip, but looking back now I don't really know if she ever got the tip or not even though her name was on the envelope...

WDWfeelslikehome
04-16-2007, 07:33 AM
With only DW and I we leave $3./day when we are not in a DVC, but at DVC they only come twice a week, so it's a little different.

tink55
04-16-2007, 08:16 AM
Does anyone know how much a Mousekeper makes per hour?

They make more than twice minimum wage, as per their union contract, and they clean about 16 rooms per day. The position is a NON-TIPPED position, and they're not supposed to take tips, which is why folks have to use little envelopes to force them to pick up the tip! Tipping housekeepers is not a standard at WDW, contrary to most of the posts you see about it on DIS.

prttynpnk
04-16-2007, 11:06 AM
My DW likes to make up envelopes with Disney stickers on it for Mousekeeping.

Ok, good- I thought I was the only dork doing this!

Mickey'sGirl
04-16-2007, 11:36 AM
I guess I tip too much! We typically stay at a deluxe resort and I usually leave $10 a night unless I forget.
When we stayed Deluxe last summer, we tipped $10/day too. $5 in the morning, and another $5 with turndown service. We have found that wherever we tip -- All Stars or Deluxe, our room is often cleaned very early in the day, and we have more towels than we could ever use! It's worth it to me. :thumbsup:

marlyn
04-16-2007, 12:01 PM
They make more than twice minimum wage, as per their union contract, and they clean about 16 rooms per day. The position is a NON-TIPPED position, and they're not supposed to take tips, which is why folks have to use little envelopes to force them to pick up the tip! Tipping housekeepers is not a standard at WDW, contrary to most of the posts you see about it on DIS.

I have no idea how much minimum wage is in FL but here in BC it is $8.00/hr.

If tipping isn't standard why is it mentioned everywhere? It is even in Birnbaum's Official Guide. I would probably tip anyhow...but it does cause for some confusion when the guides mention it.

As for being a dork and making envelopes...ummmm, GUILTY :blush:

Mickey'sGirl
04-16-2007, 12:04 PM
Ok, good- I thought I was the only dork doing this!

Dorks unite!!! Can anyone spot me a Goofy sticker? :blush:

pogo
04-16-2007, 12:06 PM

Me too ! In fact I'm making our envelopes right now ! :D

BriarRose
04-16-2007, 12:14 PM
The speakers said that they want Mousekeeping staff to provide the same, high-level, quality of service regardless of whether they receive a tip or not. When guests regularly leave a tip they have found that some of the staff end up working for the tip and not doing what they are being paid regularly to do.

If they really didn't wan't people to leave tips, they would post a sign in the room or in print in your paperwork when you check in.

illini
04-16-2007, 12:33 PM
If they really didn't wan't people to leave tips, they would post a sign in the room or in print in your paperwork when you check in.

Actually, it was printed in the little POR "newsletter" thing that we got at check in. It had a list of non-tipped positions, and mousekeeping was definitely on it.

We tipped anyway, though. Or at least the days we didn't get horrible or no service.

crazeedizneefinatic
04-16-2007, 02:14 PM
I never knew it was a non tipped position. I never saw it anywhere either. You think tips would be accepted since it is a service position. We have always tipped the baggage people taking our bags to the front of the hotel. We ususally do $1 per bag. I wonder if that is a non tipped position too? I wonder if the Mousekeepers are told not to take the tips since Disney states no tipping? I have always had my person take it and it's never in an envelope, just on the nightstand. Has anyone ever had a Mousekeeper not take a tip?

Even still, I think I will still leave a tip, it just feels right. :mickey: