PDA

View Full Version : Renting unused points

xwdpuzzler
04-14-2007, 11:26 PM
I have seen several post concerning non-DVC members renting point. Where do a DVC member rent out their unused points? My family is going to SSR in a couple of weeks for our first vacation at our home resort but I had some points left over that has to be used by 08/2007 and we are not taking another trip until 2008 or later.

So where to do people sell their unused points.

Thanks
Debbie R

vizsla
04-15-2007, 09:40 AM
:mickey: Welcome to Intercot :mickey:

There are several sites on the Internet that allow you advertise on their website for DVC points you have for rent. On thing to keep in mind though, is if you banked your points remaining points for this Use Year (2007), you cannot un-bank the points for use in this current Use Year. I see you are planning in the future for another trip in late 2008 or later. The current points you did not use(if left over from the 2007 Use Year), if you banked them you will be able to use them for your 2008 trip and pobbibly for a 2009 trip depending on what your anniversaty date is and when you plan your trip.

Maleficent's Dad
04-15-2007, 10:21 AM
:clappy: :clappy: Welcome to Intercot! :clappy: :clappy:

I had some points left over that has to be used by 08/2007 and we are not taking another trip until 2008 or later.
Debbie - there are several options, and Vince hit upon the best one above.

When is your use year?
This will determine much of what your options may be - especially considering that you're travelling again in 2008.
Most DVC'ers bank their remaining points from the year for next year. This gives you extra points for next year - allowing you to have a longer stay or larger accomodations. If you're really confused, call your DVC rep or even the DVC 800 number and they'll help you with banking - and any questions that may arise from that!

Good luck! :mickey:

xwdpuzzler
04-15-2007, 12:13 PM
The point I have remaining will expire in 08/2007. They where banked from 2006 when I got the timeshare. My ownership started in 08/2005 even though I purchased the TS in 01/2006.

So these are banked 2006 points, I guess if I am not going on a trip I should bank the points and try to to sell me, maybe? I have already banked my 2007 points.

So I have another question, If a bank my points for this year, will I have to use them before the anniversery date in 2008 or can they roll to 2009? Also, If I book a trip using 2007 and 2008 point in 2009 will the 2007 points still be good if I book the trip before the anniversy date in 2008?

Thanks for any help.

Maleficent's Dad
04-15-2007, 01:07 PM
The point I have remaining will expire in 08/2007. They where banked from 2006 when I got the timeshare. My ownership started in 08/2005 even though I purchased the TS in 01/2006.
Wouldn't member services have used your "banked points" before your current points? :confused: :confused: :confused:
Even if you "rent" or "sell" your points, the person who rents them from you will have to travel by August 1. Could you extend your upcoming vacation or upgrade your accomodations? This would eat up points...

I have already banked my 2007 points.
Okay, it's official, I'm confused! :scratch:
You banked 2007 points already and you're travelling in 2007?

So I have another question, If a bank my points for this year, will I have to use them before the anniversery date in 2008 or can they roll to 2009? Also, If I book a trip using 2007 and 2008 point in 2009 will the 2007 points still be good if I book the trip before the anniversy date in 2008?

Thanks for any help.
Didn't you state that you've already banked 2007 points? :confused:
Banked points must be used the next use year (the year they were banked to). They cannot be carried on for another year nor can they be borrowed for the current year.
Booking date doesn't matter - it's when you use them! :mickey:

vizsla
04-15-2007, 05:15 PM
I am really :confused: Let me see if I understand this right. You purchased your DVC membership 1/2006. Your "Use Year" is Aug. and the previous owner or yourself banked your 2006 "Use Year" points. When you received your Aug. 2007 point allotment you banked them also. Since then you have planned a trip for the very near future and you have Aug. 2005 "Use Year points left that are not needed to cover your entire stay. If this is the case, you may rent them to someone before they expire, but it would depend if the point allotment you have is enough to cover someone's trip, and availabilty, since Aug. is really right around the corner. Otherwise they will expire.

xwdpuzzler
04-15-2007, 06:44 PM
I know I sound confused and a lot of the time I am. I only have 11 points left on my 2006 allotment so I am not really concerned about losing them. I thought that when I banked points that I can wait at least a year before using them again, however it seems I will have to go every year in order to not to lose them or sell them. However, according to someone who replied that the banked points cannot be sold, if I understand correctly.

I have banked my points for 2007 but I assume that I will still have to use them by my 2008 anniversey date.

once again thanks for all the input.

Maleficent's Dad
04-15-2007, 09:24 PM
I thought that when I banked points that I can wait at least a year before using them again, however it seems I will have to go every year in order to not to lose them or sell them. However, according to someone who replied that the banked points cannot be sold, if I understand correctly.

I have banked my points for 2007 but I assume that I will still have to use them by my 2008 anniversey date.
Debbie - we're all confused some of the time! ;)
You do not have to go every year with DVC so that you don't lose your points - you can bank your points and use them in conjunction with next years points - and then you can go every other year.
Banked points - like all others - can be rented or sold if you so like. They'd just have to be used by this August no matter who uses them (you or the renter).
The points you've banked for this year do need to be used by August 2008. That's the thing about banked points - they must be used next year!
Hope this clears up some things! :mickey:

birdie1410
04-28-2007, 05:11 PM
I just sent you a private e-mail about these points. Please send me your reply as soon as you can. Thank you!::number1: mickey: