PDA

View Full Version : Sea Sickness?????

Cruella 1966
04-14-2007, 10:31 PM
We are taking our first Disney Cruise in August. My husband and I were discussing tonight the need for dramamine; he wants to bring a boat load! Does the boat rock that much? Who out here has had a problem with sea sickness? My husband is an old salt, retired after 20 years in the Navy, and he was always sea sick. Thanks for helping!

Tinkermom
04-14-2007, 11:04 PM
We are going on our first Disney cruise in February. I have only cruised once before about 12 years ago and was very seasick on the return trip due to high seas. I spent 3 days in my stateroom.:sick: You don't even want to know how many times I watched "Free Willy"! LOL! I still get quesy anytime I see a clip from that movie.

I have been reading up on seasickness and the Disney cruise. I recently read a trip report from a woman whose hubby became seasick pretty much as soon as the pulled out of port! He had gotten a prescription for the seasickness patch and had put it on several hours prior to the cruise as instructed. When I read this I was worried as I figured I would just get the patch and I would be fine. This man ended up using Bonine and as long as he kept it in his system around the clock he was ok. If you would like a link to read this trip report just PM me! It was very informative.:thumbsup:

I am going to talk with my doctor about getting the patch but I think I will start with the Bonine. I sure hope it works!

PAYROLL PRINCESS
04-14-2007, 11:46 PM
My BIL gets motion sickness and he was OK during the cruise. He took Dramamine, I think, and other than 1 night where he felt a little sick, he was fine.
If you don't feel well, try gingerale. Ginger is good for upset tummies.

TammiMcMan
04-15-2007, 12:31 AM
Personally, I'd stay away from Dramamine and go with Bonine. They have the same active ingredient, but Bonine does not cause drowsiness. The most important thing, is to start taking it before the ship even sails. That should ward off any discomfort and keeping that regiment up, should keep him feeling good throughout the trip.

TennesseeTink
04-15-2007, 09:49 AM
Does anyone know if Bonine is something kids can take? Can it be purchased over the counter like Dramamine or should we go see our doctor? We're going on our first cruise in Oct. 2008. DH, DD16, DD9 and I are terribly excited. But I would hate to pay that much for a vacation and have one or possibly all of us not be able to enjoy it.

TammiMcMan
04-15-2007, 11:25 AM
Bonine is readily availabile over the counter and our primary said it was fine for kids, but none of ours needed it, even the one who tends to get car sick.

cetacean01
04-15-2007, 11:53 AM
I get CRAZY INSANE motion sickeness, which really stinks because I LOVE rides. SO>>>>>>>>
I use scolpamine patches (Dont know if I spelled it correctly).
The side effects can be a little overwhelming though.
I get really intense dry mouth so I always have a bottle of water with me.
It also makes me a little drowsy, so I schedule a nap.
Now I have heard from MANY people that ginger tablets found at any vitamin store work VERY well.

I plan on using the patch for my first ride on Mission:SPACE, and ginger tablets for all of the other stuff.

Long story short, the patch works wonders (It is prescription based so call your DR. ), but there are alternatives.
Have a great cruise:thumbsup:

nat
04-15-2007, 09:14 PM
We took our first cruise one year ago (RCL) with our DS'S (Age 12) and my parents. I brought a number of options for everyone...lol!! I had ginger pills, sea bands and bonine. I can tell you that bonine worked best for me. I get a funny feeling in my head, (my stomach is OK)!
I needed to take a pill in the AM and PM and I was just fine. (We had very calm seas too) Everyone else was :number1: ! Be prepared, its better to have it than not! You can always return what you didn't use to the store when you get home.
I agree, no side effects with bonine. Someone said that they made bonine for kids but I have never seen it! I did see a number of people with the patch on too. Good Luck!!!

ariel03
04-20-2007, 05:05 PM
I got sea sick while on the cruise and my mother bought me the dramamine from the store and I was fine the rest of the trip. I just took it right before dinner ever night and had no problems.

DisneyDudet
04-21-2007, 12:45 AM
My grandmother has Maneir's Disease, which has made her get sick and dizzy often. She was afraid of cruises because of this, so she had the patches and the bands. She never once got sick at all.

We took some bonine with us, but never needed it once.

I've heard bonine is better because it doesn't make you drowsy. The side affect of all these medications is dry mouth, because they are antihistamines. The major side effect of this type of drug is dry mouth. Just make sure you drink plenty of water with any medication.

Just know that dramamine is readily available at the infirmary on the ship.

debandbub
04-22-2007, 09:18 AM
I also have Menier's, we've done two cruises. I used the patch, dramamine (if I remember correctly, they also have a non-drowsy formula), the wirstbands and ginger tablets, and drank ginger ale. Overkill? Perhaps, but it all helped, and I really enjoyed myself without being sick at all. :thumbsup: Also, a cabin towards the middle of the ship will help alleviate that "rocking" feeling.

TexasPrincessAurora
04-22-2007, 06:14 PM
We are currently on the Magic...regarding the rocking of the ship, it rocked and rolled significantly until early this morning (day 2). However, it rocked again a bit when we pulled into Key West around noon. It didn't bother me to the point of seasickness...more of a drunk feeling, swaying and having trouble walking straight.

TammiMcMan
04-22-2007, 08:26 PM
It didn't bother me to the point of seasickness...more of a drunk feeling, swaying and having trouble walking straight.The funny thing is, this is exactly the feeling that you'll experience after you get off the ship. We'd be standing on dry land and swaying for no apparent reason :D .

TexasPrincessAurora
04-23-2007, 10:59 AM
What's really funny is that I told my DH (this is his first cruise ever) that he would feel the boat moving and it would affect him...he thought I was kidding. HA!

We did feel it again last night leaving Key West until sometime in the middle of the night...but to me there is nothing like being rocked to sleep by the ship.

nat
04-23-2007, 07:24 PM
I just wanted to let everyone know that they do make Bonine for kids, I saw it in our local drugstore (CVS)!! I think the age went up to 12!

disneyfan328
04-24-2007, 09:33 PM
Also, a cabin towards the middle of the ship will help alleviate that "rocking" feeling.

I have not been on Disney, but my DD 17 was on a cruise last year with her Music Dept and was very ill along with most of the people that were with her. She stated that the day after the worst of it an announcement was made for those that were sick to stay on deck and not return to their cabins. They said that going to the cabin can make it worse??? They said it was better to stay on deck in the open air. I don't know if its true or not, but she took dramamine, and once she could get it in her she did better. Hopefully all will go well with no rough seas!!

TammiMcMan
04-25-2007, 03:18 AM
Disneyfan, I've heard the same advice. That's it better to be up on the deck staring out at the horizon, than in your room. Unfortunately, I think what happens alot, is that people simply wait too long before taking a Bonine or Dramamine and they have no option, other than to stay in their room until it starts working in their system.

TexasPrincessAurora
04-25-2007, 12:48 PM
My best advice is be proactive...have meds on hand and if you are prone to motion sickness take some before boarding and keep taking it until the movement settles on board.

I would say the fresh air helps. It also helps to have that visability that you get on deck. I think the motion also is felt more the lower you are on the ship and the more you are in the aft section of the ship. Hopefully that helps!

AvaNellMouse
04-26-2007, 11:03 PM
We start taking Bonine the day before we leave for the cruise and don't stop for a day or two after we return.
On our first cruise the rocking flat out scared me. I am a bit of a control freak (no, really, I am) and it seemed SO out of control to me. I went to our room during dinner on the first night and went right to bed. By 11pm the rocking had basically stopped and I was ready to join the fun.
I think if you are proactive with the Bonine, you will be fine.:thumbsup:

ElenitaB
04-26-2007, 11:26 PM
On our first cruise the rocking flat out scared me. I am a bit of a control freak (no, really, I am) and it seemed SO out of control to me. I went to our room during dinner on the first night and went right to bed. By 11pm the rocking had basically stopped and I was ready to join the fun.
From what I understand the rocking on the first night (and on the last, in our case) is fairly typical because it is when the ship is crossing through the Gulf Stream. Once you're through, it's usually smooth sailing (pun intended).

TexasPrincessAurora, hope you're enjoying your cruise! We look forward to your trip reports (hint hint).

Kate In Wonderland
04-27-2007, 09:13 AM
I personally haven't taken it, but I know that Bonine has helped other people who usually get seasick.

It's interesting to read about the rocking. I didn't feel anything at all - as a matter of fact, I kept forgetting I was on a boat. I'd pass a window and see the water, and honestly be a little shocked for a second!

I will say though that both my husband and I have never slept so well in our entire lives as we did during our cruise. So maybe the boat was rocking and it was rocking us to sleep! :sleepin:

Have a wonderful trip and I hope neither one of you experience the sea sickies!

DisneyDudet
04-30-2007, 02:17 AM
We had a quite rocky 7 days in Jan.

I have a hard time getting my land legs back, thats the worst!

Man.. this makes me miss walking along the outside of Lumiere's by the window's and feeling like I was on a moving sidewalk when I headed toward Beat Street!

Gosh.. I love that ship!

dixielandings
04-30-2007, 09:40 AM
I bought my Bonine the other day. A pack of 16 = 4 adults X 4 days. That should do it! I'm so excited - I just can't hide it!!! I'm about to lose control - and...

I think I like it!:D

True Disney Fan
05-23-2007, 11:15 AM
:mickey:If I may share an idea with you who are questioned re:sea sickness on a cruise. I have sailed on a number of times with Disney and other cruise lines.

Personally, I have experience some side effects but not too serious and only if the water was rough in the area.:ill:

On the past several trips of cruising, I wore "sea band"s on my wrist. These are usually purchased at Target in the Pharmacy area. They work wonders and are assisting by using pressure points on your wrist. They are not expensive. The other suggestion is to buy a box of "Ginger Gum". Usually found at pharmacies. HEB stores carry it,I know. Anyway, it is pleasant tasting and if one chews two pieces (look like chicklets) on occassion, it helps.

Last,but not least, Dramamine will be available. I have found the wristlets and the use of the gum the best. :thumbsup:

tarzan_rocks
05-23-2007, 05:46 PM
Ginger ale works wonders for my wife when she gets that funny-tummy feeling. Do they have ginger ale readily available on board or do we have to bring it ourselves?

tr

dixielandings
05-29-2007, 10:01 AM
We took our Bonine the first 2 or 3 days at sea and none of us had any sea sickness at all. The only side effect was after the cruise - everyone but my dad took a couple of days to get land legs back. Only occassionally we would feel the land swaying, but it didn't make us sick, just wierded out, and in the case of DH, annoyed.