PDA

View Full Version : Knee replacement in my near future

Here we go again...
04-13-2007, 11:13 PM
Well, I went to the doctor Wednesday and got some bad news.
This surgery on my left has been a little tough. The pain was much worse than the right knee I just had done in December. They were both orthroscopic to repair a torn maniscus but I was having a lot more pain this time.
My doctor told me that my arthritis is much worse. She showed me the pictures and it kind of looks like a volcano erupting. It is red and very bumpy and inflamed. Then she showed me the big problem... a huge area of my knee that is bare bone. She was shocked when she saw it. She knew I was complaining about pain but she said that when she saw it she completely understands.

The next step is knee replacement.... soon. She said that my knee will not last the year. Here is the big problem.... I need to lose about 50 pounds before she will operate. I am only 44 so my doctor does not want to do the surgery to begin with, she says I am too young. But, since we have to do it, I have to lose weight.
She said that the joint will only last 10-15 years and if I am over weight it will shorten that. Also, it is harder to recooperate from a knee replacement when you have the extra weight.

I have been on an emotional rollercoaster the last couple of days.I am so upset about the replacement, but happy that the pain could actually end.
I don't know what to do about the weight. I am hypothyroid and have been battling my thyroid levels forever. We can not get it right. Hypothyroidism causes weight gain... I am also on medications for my RA that cause weight gain... I can not exercise like most people because of the Rhumatoid so that creates another problem.
I am considering the lapband. I just do not know what to do...

Have any of you done the lapband? If so, fill me in.
Also, anyone with a knee replacement? What do I need to start thinking about?

Marilyn Michetti
04-13-2007, 11:39 PM
I've had both of mine replaced, and it's been GREAT ! I agree that recovery will be much easier if you lose the weight first, but don't let them say "you're too young". I was 54 for the first one and 56 when he did the second. So far, the first one is ten years ago, and doing fine. Arthritis keeps me in an ECV a lot of the time, but it's not because of pain in my knees - I also have M.S.
My SIL is 42, and was born with knee caps that "floated". He should have been treated with braces as a child, but that's not important now. His Dr. say's "he's too young". He's in the years of highest productivity, and needs to be on his feet. If a replacement will last 12 - 15 years, and can be done again after that, what is the age problem?
Any Orthopedic surgeons out there? that can explain the logic?
You can do it. You will be sooo glad when it's over and done with.
Good luck !:high5:

Sean Riley Taylor's Mom
04-14-2007, 12:24 AM
So sorry you are going though this.

I'm in a very similar situation. My knee is awful and if I was 10 years older (I am only 32) my Othopedic surgeon says he would be doing a replacement. Part of me wishes he would just do it now. I had a meniscus repair and Microfracure in Nov 2005. I had a major reconstruction with transplants one year ago this month. Coincidentally, I had an appointment with my surgeon this morning. He wants to scope my knee again right now to clean up some things but I told him I was not comfortable with that right now.

I know how frustrating it is and how hard it is to live in constant pain with restricted movement, etc. I hope you have a very successful surgery when/if you do it.

As for losing weight, I have no advice about that, but, Good Luck with it.

Dsnygirl
04-14-2007, 12:49 AM
Well, I'm afraid I don't have a lot of advice for you, but I wanted to send you some :pixie: :pixie: , just to help as you face these decisions!! I'm sorry you have to be going through this, and that it's started a roller-coaster ride of emotions for you. I'm sure it's very hard when you feel like you're in a "catch-22".
As far as the knee replacement surgery, I've never had it done, but have known a few people that have, and boy were they happy they did. One of them was in a similar situation to yours - she was told she needed to lose weight, but b/c of joint issues, couldn't excercise like a lot of people can. She turned to yoga and mild pilates - is that something you could try? Some of the DVD's are more geared for people with RA, etc.

Good luck as you face this - I'm sure you'll find a balance for what you need to do to get the surgery done, and to feel better and stronger afterwards. Let us know how you're doing!! :thumbsup:

MsMin
04-14-2007, 01:04 AM
Angel sorry to hear the bad news about your knee. I wish there was something simple we could do to help like just making you taller;)

DVC2004
04-14-2007, 12:32 PM
I'm so sorry Angel. I don't have any advice but I wanted to send you some pixie dust.

SgtTigger
04-14-2007, 04:13 PM
Hey Angel So sorry to hear about this......

If you come down maybe we can aggravate the weight off each other?????? Just tell bobby you have to move here for a few months..... I wonder if that would work.......

Let us know if we can help......

:cop: :tigger:

marlyn
04-14-2007, 05:09 PM
The next step is knee replacement.... soon. She said that my knee will not last the year.

I am an RN and I work on an orthopedic unit. I have been working with Ortho patients for about 15 years as a nurse and the changes and advances in joint replacement surgery has been remarkable.

Patients do very well after this surgery. Many of our patients are discharged after as little as 3 days, but average seems to be 4-5. One of the greatest hindrances to recovery following joint replacement is age and general health before the surgery, as well as weight. Obviously the elderly and those with cardiac and lung conditions don't do as well...but you are young and other than thyroid, sound like you are in good health.

I know it is hard when you are faced with having to lose weight before surgery, but I have to say it will certainly make your post-op recovery that much easier and will also help you keep that new joint for as long as possible. Have you thought about maybe joining weight watchers or something of that sort to help you? You have your young age, and overall good health to help with your recovery, so if you can get weight controlled you will do fantastic.

I know it is frightening when facing any surgery, but this is one that will improve your quality of life and rid you of the pain that you are having to deal with on a daily basis. It is a good surgery and you will be glad you did it!

I am sending you lots of :pixie: to help you through!!

tinktude
04-14-2007, 06:36 PM
I have not have the lapband surgety myself, but a friend of mine has. He has lost over 90lbs in a little less than a year. I do know that the weight does not come off as fast with lapband as it does with the gastric bypass, but he does not always follow the rules in regards to what you are supposed to eat.

I am actually thinking about having it done myself. I can relate to the not being able to lose weight, it is very frustrating. Don't give up!!

ElenitaB
04-15-2007, 07:30 PM
Angel, first of all :hug: for you.

As you know, I also need to lose a BUNCH of weight and am on medication that makes it harder to lose. Plus, every time I exercise my leg flares up (you might recall seeing it red and inflamed when we met). I had contemplated lap band surgery prior to my recurrence but the reappearance of the :thedolls: made that surgery impossible.

Just wanted to say that I'll support you and you can support me! Again, lots of :hug: Let's go on a throw-out the weight party!

Here we go again...
04-15-2007, 08:36 PM
Well, I joined Weight Watchers Saturday. I also have an appointment scheduled for Monday to talk to a counselor about the lap band. I really do not want to do it... it makes me feel like a failure... why did I let it get this bad?
My doctor said that because of the thyroid it is going to be very hard to lose the weight even on Weight Watchers. I will let you know how it goes Monday.

Thanks for the words of encouragment. You do not know how much it helps.

Donald Duck
04-16-2007, 04:23 PM
My father who recently turned 70 had both knees replaced at the same time.
He's doing great now.

If he can do it at 70, you can do it !