PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone use reusable grocery bags?

TikiGoddess
04-13-2007, 07:47 PM
I've been hearing all the reports of how many plastic bags the common American uses. I know in my house we get quite overwhelmed by them.

I would really like to get a set of reusable bags for grocery shopping. Something sturdy with support at the bottom of the bag. Does anyone have any recommendations?

TikiG

Marker
04-13-2007, 07:52 PM
Nope, sorry. I typically pick plastic.

I can get 6, 8, even 10 bags hooked on my arm and get the whole load carried in at one time.

BronxTigger
04-13-2007, 08:20 PM
If you go to a craft store, they usually have some canvas bags for cheap. The idea is that you will put puff paint or something crafty on them, so they are blank and often come in different colors and sizes.

I personally use the plastic bags (doubled actually, I don't have a car and have to carry my groceries home), but I reuse them so it's not overwhelming for me. I use them for trash, they are the perfect size for the trash chute. Also, I use them on rainy days inside my backpack to keep my stuff dry.

wdw_bound
04-13-2007, 09:02 PM
We use canvas bags. I bought mine at the Supermarket probably 7-8 years ago. They are a pretty durable canvas, but not too stiff. The bottoms are not reinforced, and we've never had a problem. The straps are just long enough to put over my shoulder, but not so long that the bag drags the ground if I hold it in my hand. I still see similar bags at the market and at places like World Market.

We are a family of 4, and I typically have to start out with my six bags and have them finish up with paper. When I know I'm going to have an especially large shopping trip, I'll gather up canvas book bags and assorted other canvas bags we've accumulated.

Canvas bags in our family are one of the ways we try to reduce our impact on the environment - a small step, but an important one. Kudos to you for wanting to make a difference!

mrsgaribaldi
04-18-2007, 08:36 AM
The stores that I shop in Stop & Shop, Waldbaums and Pathmark have all been selling a version of a reusable bag. They are like 99 cents and very nice. I never rememeber to bring them with me. The last one I got at Stop & Shop folded up and closed. :thumbsup:

MMouse6937
04-18-2007, 12:29 PM
I actually like to get the plastic ones and then reuse them to clean out my cat's litterl boxes. I know it kinda still ends up in the trash, but I try to reuse them without just throwing them away. I use paper bags also to bring things to and from work, bring things to a pot luck, etc. I try to reuse, but if I used a canvas bag for my groceries I wouldn't have anything to put the cat box stuff in.

offwego
04-18-2007, 01:07 PM
Some of the stores here have a bin system you can purchase (kinda like laundry baskets sized to fit a grocery cart) it takes 4 or so to fit a smaller cart and more for a big one meaning you can lift each one. Then you carry each bin into the house.

I know I'd forget them though.

However the resusable bag concept (being smaller) does sound great and stores often sell many of them so you may want to look at the grocery store itself.