PDA

View Full Version : Trip improved by a hurricane?

PNWmom
04-13-2007, 12:52 PM
Has anyone ever had a trip improved by a hurricane? Reduced crowds, improved weather..

richardsa98
04-13-2007, 01:12 PM
Funny you should ask! And I will answer with a big loud YES!
Last year, when we went for a 7 night trip to Wilderness Lodge, my son got sick the first three days we were there. he was a trooper, but we were limited with what we could do with him because he wasn't feeling well. However, the end of our trip came and we were all feeling like we had a few more days left...but didn't. On our last night, everyone was talking about the upcoming hurricane and someone mentioned on one of the buses that their plane had already been cancelled for the next day! We couldn't believe it. The storm hadn't even arrived yet. Well, we got back to our room called AirTran, and sure enough our flight was cancelled too! The earliest we were going to be able to leave was three days later. They said they could try to get us on a flight the day after the storm but chances are the airports would be clogged and delays would occur anyway. So since they were changing everything for free, we said go for the extra two nights. We went downstairs to the front desk and extended our stay for an additional 2 nights. In fact, Disney actually cut our rate in half due to our "Unfortunate" circumstances...
Needless to say, the weather was a little rainy the next day, but bearable and we had a great time! We even got to see the Wiggles while we were there for our extended stay!

Can anything be better, than being STUCK in Disney:cloud9:

mrp4352
04-13-2007, 01:37 PM
We were there during Charley. Not only did we feel incredibly safe; but the day of and the day after, the parks were only open to resort guests (translation: COMPLETELY EMPTY!). We ended up having to drive home because we were travelling stand-by, but that also meant we got an extra day in the park before leaving to come home.

Oh, and the free 1-day park hopper all resort guests got for the day of the hurricane (since the parks closed at noon) was a nice bonus!

What-r-ya, Goofy?
04-13-2007, 01:43 PM
I’m not a native Floridian, but from what I understand the weather is usually very nice in the days immediately after a hurricane. Supposedly low humidity and nothing but sunshine!:mickey:

DVC2004
04-13-2007, 01:52 PM
Ours was- Oct. 2005 Wilma. It hit at the end of our trip. Everything closed for the morning, but by 1 PM they opened MK and Epcot, and only to resort guests. We walked on everything- zero crowds. Crowds were low the next day as well. Then our flight home got cancelled so we stayed an extra day! It was actually one of our best and most memorable trips.:thumbsup:

Jeri Lynn
04-13-2007, 07:14 PM
I've been there for two hurricanes and I think one tropical storm....the last one a couple years ago, and the weather although it was warm, it was breezy and overcast with little humidity...I think that was in September of 2005....

BronxTigger
04-13-2007, 07:34 PM
I haven't been in Disney for a hurricane (yay!).

But, Tropical Storm Arlene (June 2005, the first storm of the Katrina season) came during our trip. It was so nice! Seriously...before the storm, the temperature, humidity, and crowds were all very high. During the storm, it was POURING a lot of the time, but it cooled it down and cleared out a lot of the crowds. We got to do more, even though we were quite soaked a few times.

My brother hung his clothes from the ceiling fan in the Beach Club in an attempt to dry them off....it worked!

threeh
04-13-2007, 08:11 PM
We went a day after a hurricaine in 04 and the parks were the least crowded I've seen in all of our trips. The weather was actually really nice, it never rained.

crazeedizneefinatic
04-13-2007, 08:44 PM
:mickey: We were there October 2005 when it happened to us. I believe it was the 2nd day of our trip. Everything completely closed down and the resort was on lockdown. They just wanted guests to stay in there rooms until the storm passed. It was finally done and over with and they opened the park to just the resort guests at around 2 in the afternoon. I would say that day and the day after the parks were very empty. The day after that the crowds were unimaginable. Everyone that had been hit hard by the Hurricane moved up to Orlando to get away from the damage and such. Parking lots were full of RV's and the hotels were jammed. Aparently Disney allows evacuees permission to park there RV's on site. I can honestly say we met some of the nicest people that week. We met a couple who had extensive damage and came to orlando to escape for awhile, until things calmed down. Our kids hit it off and we spent most of the day riding and chatting together. Even though the parks and such were jammed we did not mind.

SgtTigger
04-13-2007, 10:30 PM
But, Tropical Storm Arlene (June 2005, the first storm of the Katrina season) came during our trip.

We were there too.... Yea we added another day to our trip so we did not have to drive through the weather and aftermath..... It was so cool to be there and no crowds........

It was very cool to be a DVC member as they were very helpfull.....to add the other day..

:cop: :tigger:

JPL
04-14-2007, 01:31 AM
I was there right after a Hurricane forget which one :blush: It was the one that cut right across Central Florida and the crowd levels were considerably higher since alot of locals with no power headed to WDW for refuge.

alicia524luvstw
04-14-2007, 06:08 AM
I went 3 days after Charlie. Had trouble landing in MCO because the airport wasn't fully operational yet. It did rain a lot too, but it was August

kakn7294
04-14-2007, 06:56 AM
We went in Sept 2005 while Ophelia was stalled off the coast between Daytona and Jacksonville. Our first 2 days we had intermittent rain showers (not as bad as the summer downpours) and after that it was beautiful for a week - low humidity and warm temps. The crowds were nice.

Bethanymouse
04-14-2007, 10:51 PM
2 years ago we went down during Hurricane Dennis. The weather was gorgeous and the parks were empty!:secret:

nutz4goofy
04-15-2007, 12:27 PM
Went in Sept. 2004 when Hurricane Jeanne hit. As a matter of fact, we actually changed our flight and flew down the day before because we didn't want to lose any time at WDW. First off, it was cool to be down there in the storm...couldn't leave the resort of course since they had a curfew, but we were there and that was what mattered. Felt very safe...never lost power, etc. The days after were great! Weather was beautiful, crowds ok...was worth it!

princessjojo
04-15-2007, 05:45 PM
We arrived the night before the storm last June. Our first day was great, but the second day, it was rainy but we made to trek to the parks anyway, MM ponchos and all. There were times of downpours and the crowds flocked to the shops or inside food areas. We did too. But a lot of people left and when the rains stopped off and on, there was no one in line for any of the rides. Crowds were low, temperatures were great. It was heaven... And this was JUNE!!!. But it did cost us $8 to get DS shoes dry enough for him to wear the next day. That was the worst of it all. We are actually planning our next trip for June of 08. Only because both DS are at the age where missing a week of school can make a big difference for them.

birdie1410
04-22-2007, 08:47 PM
[QUOTE=mrp4352;1256245]We were there during Charley. Not only did we feel incredibly safe; but the day of and the day after, the parks were only open to resort guests (translation: COMPLETELY EMPTY!). We ended up having to drive home because we were travelling stand-by, but that also meant we got an extra day in the park before leaving to come home.

QUOTE]

Wish we had been there during Hurricane Charley! :blush: Unfortunately, we were smack dab in the middle of the hurricane as it hit land. Punta Gorda FL. All in all, I'd rather be at Disney. At least we have a new house now.;)

imaprincess!
04-23-2007, 10:50 PM
This is really terrible, but our trip was not improved by a hurricane, but as a result of the 9/11 tragedy. We had booked a trip in May to depart 9/18. We decided to go ahead with our plans even though we were hesitant to fly. The parks were so empty -- most noticeably the MK. We rode Splash Mountain seven times in a row without even getting off the boat! The CM's kept asking, "Do you want to go again?" We finally had to tell them no so we could ride something else. I felt guilty having such a good trip because of something so horrific. :flag:

jans2kids
04-24-2007, 01:13 PM
We were there for Charlie in 2005 and the day of the storm knowing the parks would only be open to 1:00 we opted to go to Blizzard Beach. This was a good choice as the park was practically empty. It was still nice and warm, light breeze but no scorching sun or lines. We did go to MGM the day after and felt that the park was very crowded by 11am as everyone needed to get out after being cooped up for a day. Last summer we were there for a tropical storm and spent the day at MK with our ponchos and the crowds were farily low that day also. It may have rained all day long but it was much easier to deal with than a downppour thunderstorm.