PDA

View Full Version : Big empty space on 7 Seas Lagoon

Goofy Pluto
04-13-2007, 12:42 PM
Hi everyone.

I was fooling around on Google Earth today checking out Disney's property. (I like maps.) I couldn't help but notice there is a HUGE piece of land along the 7 Seas Lagoon between TTA and CR that has not been developed. This would seems to be the perfect location to add another resort on the monorail line. It looks bigger than all the other monorail resorts property! Is anything planned for this spot? Is there a reason nothing's been done here? Anything that was planned and scrapped? Thanks.

robhink
04-13-2007, 12:51 PM
The first resort planned for that site was the Venetian Resort which would have been one of the 5 resorts planned for the resorts opening. After they decided to put some of the resorts on hold they talked about creating a Mediterranean themed resort there in the 90's but found the ground unstable for building.

Red Randal
04-13-2007, 07:09 PM
There was also to be a Persian themed resort built on the site that was eventually used for the Grand Floridian Resort. I'm not certain where the fifth resort, an Asian resort, was to be. I THINK it was supposed to be on Bay Lake between Fort Wilderness and the Magic Kingdom.

JPL
04-14-2007, 01:58 AM
Here is a rendering of the complete MK resort area
Magic Kingdom Resort Area (http://www.bigbrian-nc.com/PREOPENING/EVNF.jpg)

It's not the clearest picture but you can see it was suppose to be populated by a few more hotels :thumbsup:

magicofdisney
04-14-2007, 05:17 PM

It's not the clearest picture but you can see it was suppose to be populated by a few more hotels :thumbsup:
That's so cool to look at. How old is that?

alpro2
04-14-2007, 06:25 PM
Not sure when that picture was drawn, but actually, the initial concept for the original two EPCOT models created in 1975 shows World Showcase located in this area. The plans called for 2 large semicircular buildings to house the participating nations' exhibits (rather than individual pavilions).

BrerGnat
04-14-2007, 11:11 PM
Much of the land that you are talking about is very much in use with roadways as well as the monorail track. The acutal USABLE land is not a very large tract at all, and looks very "swampy" in the center. I'm sure that the ground is not suitable for a large scale construction such as a resort.

Victor Kelly
04-15-2007, 01:06 PM
There have been many ideas that never came to be

JPL
04-15-2007, 02:21 PM
That's so cool to look at. How old is that?

Those are the pre-opening postcards from the preview center so I would venture a guess soemtime between 1966-1970

Jasper
04-15-2007, 02:56 PM
This falls into the catagory of "if I had a dime for every time I heard this I would be rich!" As JPL has said, Disney has had various plans for not only this but other portions of the property many times in the past but for various reasons chose to not go ahead with those plans and do others instead.

I don't doubt that eventually there will be something built on that site but it is also very possible that we will all be long gone before it happens. Then again, Disney might announce a project for that space tomorrow, who knows!! The important thing is that although it is fun to dream and wonder about these rumors, it is best to keep your hopes in check until Disney makes an official announcement.

Ian
04-16-2007, 09:52 AM
I think the last thing WDW needs is another resort. They have too many already.

Although if they were going to build another one, a deluxe on the monorail would be the best spot. Demand is very high for the existing rooms.

Jeff G
04-16-2007, 11:10 AM

Awesome link, it is so cool to check out the old art work and see what the original ideas for the World were supposed to look like.

Tink<3Mickey<3Cinderella
04-17-2007, 09:42 AM
Great link! I love to see things like that from back when Walt was around, its interesting to see what Walt's original idea's were.

lockedoutlogic
04-17-2007, 10:09 AM
I think the last thing WDW needs is another resort. They have too many already.

Although if they were going to build another one, a deluxe on the monorail would be the best spot. Demand is very high for the existing rooms.

Nah......all they need are Villas...who want's more resorts?:blush: