PDA

View Full Version : Need dining advice

Bethanymouse
04-13-2007, 12:13 AM
My Disney Fiance and I are going to disney this summer for our longest trip ever, 11 days! We are going to be on the dining plan for the entire time, switching over to free dining our last week. Here is our line up:

August 20-
We are thinking of trying the Rainforest Cafe. Any comments? Did this a few years ago, was not that impressed but DF wants to try it. What do you think Intercot?

Aug 21 Dinner Le Cellier

22 Dinner Primetime Cafe

23 dinner nine dragons

24 Ohana's dinner

25 Wolfgang Puck dinner in DTD- again any info, advice, comments on this restruant is appreciated. Ate there many many years ago with my parents and barely remember it

Free Dining Plan starts

26 Ca. Grill (2 coupons)

27 ESPN club dinner- DF choice- never done it before...what do you think? Plus cant make a ressie, will this be difficult to get in to?

28 Concourse Steakhouse dinner

29 Chef Mickey's breakfast- Pay

30 ****this is where I need help! Not sure what to do that night. Since we are paying for Chef Mickeys we wanted to try something different and new- but not be disappointed. What do you think? We dont have any specific parks planned for that day so we are pretty much open to anything on the dining plan for one coupon.

31 dinner Teppanyaki

1 leave late at night

I would appreciate any dining advice you have. We go every summer and love to try new things. Last trip we tried Le Cellier and Ohana's both now our must do's. Thanks Intercot!

KAJUNKING
04-13-2007, 01:41 AM
if i were you (and a lot of people may not agree) i would ditch concourse and use that ts credit for lecelier, go to san angel inn,from there i have no idea (i have ideas but no personal experiences to draw on) mabey one in france or china, i really didnt like concourse, it was ok but i think there is better out there, just my opinion! hope this helps :mickey: lecelier is pretty expensive i would use ddp there for sure! good luck

Mickey91
04-13-2007, 01:51 AM
I agree, ditch Concourse. Put Le Cellier in the dining plan. How about the Coral Reef? We enjoyed it the last time we were at Disney.

Natazu
04-13-2007, 03:28 AM
Rainforest is pretty good. It's very Disney for a non-Disney place. The Tuscan Chicken is great, so was the meat loaf but I don't think they have it anymore.

For your open night, the first thing that comes to mind is Marrakesh. It's my favorite 1TS place next to Wolfgang Puck Cafe.

Speaking of Puck, the pumpkin ravioli is awesome and so is the butternut squash soup. They have killer crab cakes, too.

BritCody
04-13-2007, 07:34 AM
First you have a lot of nice choices. We loved Le Cellier when we were there as most do. With children we tend to do a bunch of Character Meals and children friendly dining. So for your open option we would probably go to Crystal Palace, Liberty Tree Tavern or Whispering Canyon. But again that is beacuse of the children.

As for ESPN Club any time we go there we try and get there by 5:00 before the dinner rush and the line starts to form. The food is decent, it is typical bar food, the portions in most cases are bigger than most bars. One thing however. You say that you are going there August 27th. That is a Monday Night and there is a Pre Season Monday Night Football Game on ESPN that night. I can't tell you from experience but I have always heard game nights draw bigger crowds. Then again it is only preseason and it is only the Cincinnati Bungals.

Sorry Major STEELER FAN!!!!

Bethanymouse
04-13-2007, 11:39 AM
I agree, ditch Concourse. Put Le Cellier in the dining plan. How about the Coral Reef? We enjoyed it the last time we were at Disney.

We will be on the DDP for Le Cellier, we are going there our second night.

Thanks for the info so far. Definitely something to take into consideration with ESPN Club and monday night football- though DF might like that atmosphere! Thanks for the advice!

MOJoe
04-13-2007, 12:42 PM
You may want to switch the ESPN Club to the 30th, and go with something else on that monday. Spoodles or Cape May might be good alternatives at that general location. The ESPN Club is fun, and if you want to see it you absolutely should go, but it might be kinda crazy for Monday Night Football. Unless crazy is what you're looking for, i'd visit on a slower evening.

Bethanymouse
04-15-2007, 04:00 PM
Thanks for all of the advice on the ESPN Club. We may have to switch the date on that one......I hate waiting in line for food!

MissStyles
04-15-2007, 06:53 PM
I went to the Rainforest Cafe next to the Animal Kingdom last November. We were a party of 10 and it was a blast. The food and service were excellent. It's a cool atmosphere to be in.......although the portions are out of control. But that's to be expected I guess - I say give it a go one more time! :thumbsup:

Jen66
04-15-2007, 07:14 PM
IMO, I did not care for Rainforest either time we ate there. We have eaten at both the one in AK and at Niagara Falls, and I was not impressed either time. The theming is cute, but I found the food to be mediocre at best. Kind of Planet Hollywood meets Fridays. Now, that is just my opinion, and I do not generally care for chain restaurants. I think the food at Epcot cannot be beat and we are trying San Angel Inn for the first time in July. We really like Marrekesh and Boma is amazing! Boma is actually our favorite so far in WDW!
I am so jealous of an 11 day trip!!! Wherever you eat, you are going to have a blast!

SBETigg
04-15-2007, 07:21 PM
Rainforest is pretty good. It's very Disney for a non-Disney place. The Tuscan Chicken is great, so was the meat loaf but I don't think they have it anymore.

I definitely disagree with Jym on Rainforest Cafe. I think the Rainforest Cafe is a terrible choice for two adults. The food is not very good. The service is awful, very slow. The atmosphere is fun, but not that special for adults and really not enough to make up for terrible food and overpriced everything, and most especially the lousy service. If you had kids, it might be worth it. Kids seem a lot more impressed with it. I have never had a good RF experience(visited at shopping malls, also), but the Disney one was the worst.

Nine Dragons will not be open while you are there (see the rehab schedule).

Marrakesh is a great choice. San Angel Inn instead of Rainforest Cafe if the DF is looking for atmosphere. Perhaps try Boma or Jiko?

OogieBoogieMan
04-15-2007, 10:05 PM
I would not feel any need to hit the Rain Forest Cafe, especially as two adults. In terms of restaurants on our top five list, here is how we see it:

California Grill: You have that covered.

Jiko: Great food and a different atmosphere and unique menu, just moved up from number 3.

Artist Point: Moving it down from 2 was tough. It is probably more an experience thing than quality. We have been to AP numerous times and only just discovered Jiko recently. South African wine should be explored, check out the Conde!

Flying Fish: Best of the Boardwalk area, although not as good as it was say 4 years ago. It still has a nice atmosphere though and the food is great, much better than anything else in the area (just above number 5)

Yachtsman Steakhouse: Tough choice, as there are a bunch of number 5 candidates, a few of which are in Epcot and cost much less. Bottom line here for us is the atmosphere, looking out on Storm-a-Long Bay is great, and when the food is good it is very good. The caveat is that sometimes the food is just OK. If they could consistently get it right they would probably at least move past Flying Fish.

These are higher cost choices for sure but if you are planning out dining to this extent you should at least be considering them. I would definitely trade two Epcot showcase meals ( pick a restaurant) for one at any of these locations.

KAT1811
04-16-2007, 09:53 AM
I have to disagree with the majority on Rain Forest. I think that if DF has never been there it is a lot of fun. The food isn't fabulous but it is certainly very different scenery than most restaurants we visit on a given ordinary day.

Also have to disagree on the Concourse too. We love Concourse and had the best service ever there on our last trip.(not to mention some fabulous martinis!) The monerail is fun to see going by while you're eating. If I had remembered our waiters name I would request him.

On your last TS I would recommend San Angel Inn. Another of our favorites. Great atmosphere, :marg: are fabulous, and the food is wondreful. Or I'm not sure on the actual closing date but you could have a farewell to Alfredo's dinner (you may have to move something around depending on the closing date).

Mom2princesses
04-16-2007, 11:45 AM
I would not go to the Rainforest Cafe for dinner mainly because I have one these restuarants 15 mins from my house. I actually like to take the kids there because of the atmosphere especially when I'm missing WDW. I see the original poster is from NJ and I know we have a couple of them right here at home. So why go somewhere you can go anytime of the year?

KAT1811
04-16-2007, 11:55 AM
I actually like to take the kids there because of the atmosphere especially when I'm missing WDW.

How funny me too and the closest Rain Forest Cafe is about and hour away for us. Quite the trip for lunch but it helps!

Cinderelley
04-17-2007, 03:24 AM
Have you considered Boma or Jiko?